Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacpierre View Post
    Please, share with me an argument for an estate tax besides "it's not fair they have that money to do with as they please when they die. It should be 'ours'."
    Well they are dead, they have no use for that money anymore, might as well put it to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Ah on insurance, New Jersey also has the highest car insurance rates, some of the highest property tax rates.. we also have some of the most uneducated drivers going by one study.
    What do you mean by uneducated drivers? Everywhere I've been, some of the best drivers have been high school drop outs.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Yes... it should be ours as in the states, do you not know how taxes work or something?
    Should it be the states? Really? You have proof for how everyone's money is actually the states?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Well they are dead, they have no use for that money anymore, might as well put it to use.
    That is your rationale? They are dead? While they are still alive, they can decide what they want their money to do when they are dead. You know, because it is THEIR money. It isn't the states money. What a compelling argument you have given me.

Should it be the states? Really? You have proof for how everyone's money is actually the states?

- - - Updated - - -

That is your rationale? They are dead? While they are still alive, they can decide what they want their money to do when they are dead. You know, because it is THEIR money. It isn't the states money. What a compelling argument you have given me.
    Your argument is against taxes as a concept here, not this tax.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    If my mother transfers her $1,000,000 house to me when she dies, should I be taxed?

Serious question. First, I deserve that house. I've been a loving son, done a lot of work on it such as repairing the deck and improving the kitchen. Second, she always intended this to be my house. Third, is it fair to launch a tax burden on me just because my mother died?

Curious what your plan would be. I don't think perpetual wealth is a good idea, but where is the limit?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Ah on insurance, New Jersey also has the highest car insurance rates, some of the highest property tax rates.. we also have some of the most uneducated drivers going by one study.
    I pay 148.00 monthly, but I also carry a lot more than you do, probably.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    The 10% Sales Tax in Chicago or the 30 cent proposed gas tax increase (bringing it 60 cents) which is supposed to make it the highest in the country?
    Illinois has been fighting to get gas tax over 50cents since they struggled with the budget last year. Also ya our local taxes are bullshit, down here it is 8.75%(total). Then you add in our total telecom taxes/fees of like 20% and higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Generationally inherited wealth is toxic to meritocracy and as such there is no reason to allow a wealth transfer of such magnitude get by tax free when almost every other wealth transfer in our lives is taxed as well.
    Why is the thread still going after this point was made?
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

then they should immediately leave the states since apparently they seem unwilling to pay the taxes required of them to another country like....antartica.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    If my mother transfers her $1,000,000 house to me when she dies, should I be taxed?

Serious question. First, I deserve that house. I've been a loving son, done a lot of work on it such as repairing the deck and improving the kitchen. Second, she always intended this to be my house. Third, is it fair to launch a tax burden on me just because my mother died?

Curious what your plan would be. I don't think perpetual wealth is a good idea, but where is the limit?
    You deserve your paycheck too. Does that mean it shouldn't be taxed? Taxes have nothing to do with how much you deserve something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Why is the thread still going after this point was made?
    i don't know ask jacpierre. he seems to be all upset about the estate tax.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Generationally inherited wealth is toxic to meritocracy and as such there is no reason to allow a wealth transfer of such magnitude get by tax free when almost every other wealth transfer in our lives is taxed as well.
    Your first point is entirely false. Inherited wealth has no negative impact on society at all. In fact massive amounts of evidence show that inherited wealth very quickly is lost to those whom inherit it.

To your second point, it isn't tax free. All of that money has been taxed. The wealth transfer you are referring to are when people trade goods and services for money. Yes, those things are taxed. This is not that. This is the same wealth being given for nothing to ones family. And "ALLOW"?!? Are you joking me? Like you should have any say in the matter? Did you help them earn that wealth? No, you didn't. SO why do presume to be able to decide what they should do with it. And every other wealth transfer is NOT taxed. Your will more than likely not have to pay the estate tax when your parents pass and bequeath you with what they had left (assuming that hasn't happened, or will actually happen). The Estate Tax is only paid by those we deem to have too much. And we wonder who the actual greedy people are?!? There is no legitimate taxable reason for an estate tax to exist, if you actually understand the purpose of taxation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    then they should immediately leave the states since apparently they seem unwilling to pay the taxes required of them to another country like....antartica.
    WHAT>!?!??!?

Your first point is entirely false. Inherited wealth has no negative impact on society at all. In fact massive amounts of evidence show that inherited wealth very quickly is lost to those whom inherit it.

To your second point, it isn't tax free. All of that money has been taxed. The wealth transfer you are referring to are when people trade goods and services for money. Yes, those things are taxed. This is not that. This is the same wealth being given for nothing to ones family. And "ALLOW"?!? Are you joking me? Like you should have any say in the matter? Did you help them earn that wealth? No, you didn't. SO why do presume to be able to decide what they should do with it. And every other wealth transfer is NOT taxed. Your will more than likely not have to pay the estate tax when your parents pass and bequeath you with what they had left (assuming that hasn't happened, or will actually happen). The Estate Tax is only paid by those we deem to have too much. And we wonder who the actual greedy people are?!? There is no legitimate taxable reason for an estate tax to exist, if you actually understand the purpose of taxation.

- - - Updated - - -

WHAT>!?!??!?
    By very quickly do you mean 500 years? One such study was done and that's about how long it took for the most wealthy to lose their wealth.

They still can decide what to do with a huge chunk of the money they have. So in a practical sense they still have control over their money, just that a percentage of it is taxes to fund projects that benefit them. Besides in a practical sense I don't see any negatives for having a estate tax.

1. How did you establish that you deserve anything?

2. That's immaterial.

3. The tax being levied is based on the amount of your inheritance, not just some random fine for having a loved one die, so this point makes no sense.

4. The inheritance tax generally comes in at significantly higher levels of inheritance than $1M.

5. If you are inheriting a home worth $1M, you are one of the most fabulously wealthy and privileged human beings to ever live on this Earth, and crying about a tax burden when you have so, so, so much is pathetic and laughable.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Your first point is entirely false.
    Nope. Its not a meritocracy when some people start with a massive advantage via uterine lottery. You don't really think the Trump sons got their wealth on merit do you?

Oh god "double taxation". Abandon ship, we got a derp one here.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i don't know ask jacpierre. he seems to be all upset about the estate tax.
    I'm not upset. I am shocked that people as ill informed as appear on this board are able to feed themselves daily, enough so that they continue to exist. The amount of covetousness in humans apparently knows no bounds.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. Its not a meritocracy when some people start with a massive advantage via uterine lottery. You don't really think the Trump sons got their wealth on merit do you?

Oh god "double taxation". Abandon ship, we got a derp one here.
    a derp one? LOL? Do you even know what double taxation is?

Do you even know we don't live in a "meritocracy" and that no such thing actually exists? Are this this ignorant?

There's no real argument for say, taxing lottery winnings without taxing inheritance. That's all inheritance is. Genetic lottery.

- - - Updated - - -

a derp one? LOL? Do you even know what double taxation is?
    Yeah, a blaring siren for someone who doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about.

Taxation isn't placed on money, its placed on transactions.

Do you even know we don't live in a "meritocracy" and that no such thing actually exists? Are this this ignorant?
    Do you desire one?

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post

5. If you are inheriting a home worth $1M, you are one of the most fabulously wealthy and privileged human beings to ever live on this Earth, and crying about a tax burden when you have so, so, so much is pathetic and laughable.
    The burden of proof is on you actually. Can you provide a legitimate reason why person A should pay a tax for inheriting X while person B should not pay a tax for inheriting Y? And in anticipation of your banal answer, because X is greater than Y is not a legitimate answer.

Well you are taxes when you are payed aren't you?