Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Should addons that help with bosses be removed all together?

I'm talking completely removed, not a few things updated or changed about it..But simply removed from the game.

Whats your opinion on that and how would it effect you as a raider or the people around you? ....(and i mean addons like DBM etc)

10+ Year Old Account
    No? Why would they remove them?
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why stop at just boss addons, lets destroy all of the addons

Deleted
    There's been DBM mods since Vanilla, why on earth would we suddenly remove them in order to get bosses with 1-2 mechanics?

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who actually believes they should remove addons like this is incredibly short sighted. Devs have been designing fights with these sort of addons in mind for years now, if not the majority of the games lifespan. If they removed them entirely, they'd have to lower the complexity of the bosses SIGNIFICANTLY.

I see no problem with what we have now.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

The half-truth is, yes.

The other half-truth is, if we remove those addons, we will go back to 2 phase fights with 3-5 abilities per boss, only 1 relevant enough to care that it kills you.

I hate DBM as an addon. I think the raiding scene would be a healthier and more enjoyable place as a whole without DBM and devs creating more easily noticeable mechanics. Like Xavius' claws - that could have been solved with a string or a bright shiny thing connecting them or anything. Instead, we use DBM to show everyone EXACTLY where it'll go. That's lazy on Blizzard's part.

I've been raiding without DBM for a little while now. In my opinion, I think only raid leaders / shot callers need it at this point for the most part. However, there are a few very important things that aren't really portrayed very well, like Cenarius' reflect aura and the aforementioned Xavius' claw.

They'll never *actually* be removed, though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry but only an *idiot* thinks they should be removed…

As others have said, if we want raids without addons then we're going to have to be happy with simpler bosses. Devs designing with addons in mind allows them to make more difficult and complex encounters and mechanics. I'm sure they knew that things like (to think of a few recent examples) Wrought Chaos on Archimonde or Iskar eye tossing would have addons made for them, but neither mechanic 100% requires the addon.

If an addon completely trivializes a fight or a mechanic then they can break that addon. There was one during ICC that I can't recall the name of, that got broken because it was making fights too easy.

If you want the challenge of raiding without addons, go for it. I doubt I could go addon-less; the default UI is just too ugly.

Only pussies use addons

Pray tell, how do we exactly deal without addons with tank mechanics that require you to use a cooldown and have no cast time? Atm the only way is to watch DBM timers and press the cd just before the timer goes off. Like the lazor from the add on Ilgynoth.

I understand where you're coming from, DBM and whatnot can make things pretty face roll. I don't even read fights really as DBM says everything you need to do, no learning needed really. But if they were removed either no one would clear anything or only a few anyway, or they would dumb down boss fights which let's be honest in Legion has pretty much happened.

| Mage | Rogue |
    - Barthilas-US -

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JonBeMerkin View Post
    I'm talking completely removed, not a few things updated or changed about it..But simply removed from the game.

Whats your opinion on that and how would it effect you as a raider or the people around you? ....(and i mean addons like DBM etc)
    hell no cause blizzards built in interface is garbage dbm is good. addons are good end of discussion.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

Quote Originally Posted by Nehezbegar View Post
    Only pussies use addons

Im sorry, imo people who dont use addons just gave up coz they too dumb to use it.

In my experience, all those people who hasnt use addons for a long time ask me alot of really dumb self explanatory questions. Its like teaching a 90 year old grandpa how to use a tv remote.

"Hey how do i make an aura for this spell." - Like wtf? u open weakauras and its pretty self explanatory how to make one even without a guide.

I don't understand the thinking process behind not using add-ons if they are available. Just don't whore your UI and make it untidy. A few small add-ons wether it's name plates, bars, arena targets, whatever, can help someone out more then you'd think and even make them a better player.

If add-ons mean that groups I'm put with are less retarded then I'm happy.

| Mage | Rogue |
    - Barthilas-US -

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes they should.

I don't see how people can make a compelling argument for addons that essentially play the game for you. Granted in the past many mechanics weren't particularly clear, but since WoD they've started making mechanics more interactive and obvious to see. So I personally think it is time to start breaking addons such as DBM in favor of clearer game mechanics that force you to look at your surroundings instead of your addon timers.

Quote Originally Posted by Svelte View Post
    Im sorry, imo people who dont use addons just gave up coz they too dumb to use it.

In my experience, all those people who hasnt use addons for a long time ask me alot of really dumb self explanatory questions. Its like teaching a 90 year old grandpa how to use a tv remote.

"Hey how do i make an aura for this spell." - Like wtf? u open weakauras and its pretty self explanatory how to make one even without a guide.
    Maybe they are too good to use addons and shiet ppl have to use 3rd party shiet to help them do dps, healing or tanking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luko View Post
    Anyone who actually believes they should remove addons like this is incredibly short sighted. Devs have been designing fights with these sort of addons in mind for years now, if not the majority of the games lifespan. If they removed them entirely, they'd have to lower the complexity of the bosses SIGNIFICANTLY.

I see no problem with what we have now.
    Actually DEVS put up warnings and other indications so you can clearly identify almost all skills WITHOUT addons telling you stuff during a boss fight.
    And they didnt start with this just recently. There are only 2 skills that I currently remember where I dont see a way to tell who is targeted but addons do (which I say is pretty stupid design, either announce it, make it a debuff, make it a target, but dont hide it only in combatlogs):
    1. Arthas spawns ghost ontop of players
    2. Roots on Cenarius

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Pray tell, how do we exactly deal without addons with tank mechanics that require you to use a cooldown and have no cast time? Atm the only way is to watch DBM timers and press the cd just before the timer goes off. Like the lazor from the add on Ilgynoth.
    It lasers every 10 seconds, the first one might be a bit fiddeling depending on which class you play, but with a 29s debuff you KNOW when the 2nd laser is going to come. I hope your eyeview is broader than your display device, then its not a problem ...

Quote Originally Posted by Alski View Post
    Why stop at just boss addons, lets destroy all of the addons
    Take it one more step and make everybody use the old 1 button mice.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post
    Would be good riddance. The creator of DBM seriously proposed the 7.1 removed features like distance tracking to be added back in because "everyone at mythic uses DBM".

We are playing Warcraft not GPS Satnav!

completely agree, DBM has evolved from Predictions into Very specific instructions.