Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Zarupia View Post
    because buying a suit is expensive.
    And you (hopefully) only need to buy it once, when you're an adult. I've had the same black suit ever since high school, and have been using it for job interviews.

At the very bare minimum, khakis and a dress shirt. You don't go into an interview in casual clothing, unless you're applying to a position at a fast food joint.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    It's akin to going into a store and saying yes while I see everyone else is using credit cards / cash, how dare you not accept bitcoins!

While there may be a discussion about making it a regular thing that's prevalent. That doesn't change the fact that you're demanding something of a business to suit you specifically rather than conforming to how that business already successfully operates. And then coming onto the forums to throw a bit of a tantrum about how they are too old school for you and how everything they do is dated and irrelevant now.

Should you have a mindset for the future? Yes. But change isn't something you force on a company externally. A dress code change is something you action once you've already got a job.
    Plus, people have been saying suits are old school and dated since the 1940s (always the just out of high school crowd) and yet they really arent because its still the standard dress clothing and they all end up coming around once they get turned down for enough jobs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stanelis View Post
    Well, if someone wants to pay with bitcoin in a store, one just has to go to a store who accept them. The post you quoted didn't state that your old fashioned business should accept new way to see thing (however, it s 100 % certain it would be a good idea to think about it), but rather that he didn't want to work in said business.

People need companies to work at, but as sure as the company choose people, the people also choose the companies. If you only want old fashioned people in your business, go for it, I think there are plenty of other businesses craving for innovative people out there.
    Why does wearing ripped jeans and a T-shirt make you innovative??? It just makes you look like a slob

Deleted
    If people already fail at making a good first impression, they aren't worth the investment imo.
    If you can´t sell yourself, it will be hard to get a job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Maybe so, I've never worn a suit to a job interview and have never failed to secure the job. Reputation within the industry goes a long way.
    Job hopping isnt a good reputation to have. Why hire someone regardless of how good they are if you know they will just go somewhere else later.

the key is to get the job faking how you dress, and slowly transform into your true self

its like a metamorphosis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Kind of the first "test" of the interview though wouldn't you say? To be able to determine the appropriate attire for the given position at whatever company you're applying. They shouldn't have to hold your hand through the process. If you're applying for a nursing position, you're not going to show up in scrubs, right? How you dress in the interview isn't indicative of how you should dress at work even. Most companies probably do have a dress code that they tell you after you get hired. I doubt most companies tell you what you should wear at your interview though.
    I'm not here to read you mind. If you want me to do a thing, tell me to do a thing. I'm not here to play mind games, play secret tests or guess whatever you think I should dress like. And before you go "oh you'll never find a boss like that!" I have. It's a great job. There's no "hand holding" there's "instruction". I know what I need to do, when I need to do it, and how long I have to do it in.

If you want to play mind games, get a girlfriend.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently some people don't understand professionalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Just had 5 interviews this morning (1 marketing/ 1 front desk) and it amazes me how some young people (in their 20's) present themselves in a job interview.

One guy had on some sort of loooong t-shirt, kinda pyjama like,with stripes.
    Another guy had a very wide neck on his T-shirt, that was also wrinkly and kinda torn on the edges (I think they sell them like this?) He also worre damaged skinny jeans with holes in them, which I also mentioned to him(your pants are damaged, what happened?) but he told me it's in fashion... >.>

Then there was a girl that had her arms exposed, which is of course no issue at all if they werent completely covered in tattoos. And I counted at least 3 skulls and some disturbing signs.
    Also had a girl with one side of her head shaved and sporting a nose ring and dressed in bright purple.

Luckily not everyone dresses this way to an interview and we had at least 2 girls that came dressed properly but it does make me wonder if these other candidates don't have parents, teachers or someone else in their invormenet that tells them how to dress for an interview.

So why can't some people dress proper?

This reminds me of a time when I went to meet someone and when I entered their room they were wearing black stockings with clips and lingerie.

Like Whoa OKAY i like where this is going.

Fortunately in my business, all I have to ask is, "Do you want to stage? Yeah? I'll start you on saute station."

That sorts them all out fast.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Yet another thing that millenials "just don't get". Millenials are all about self expression, me before you or us.

Going into a job interview you are supposed to present yourself in the best possible way. This job in particular was front desk/marketing, the literal face of the company. They would expect a clean cut personality.

"But, but, I'm UNIQUE!" says the millenial. My clothes, my tattoos, my piercings, my hairstyle, whatever the case may be don't reflect my work ethic! In the business world yes they do.

I have a lot of tattoos. So I wear long sleeve shirts to cover them at work. It's about looking PROFESSIONAL. This isn't college anymore. If someone is going to pay you for a job, they set the expectations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    And you (hopefully) only need to buy it once, when you're an adult. I've had the same black suit ever since high school, and have been using it for job interviews.

At the very bare minimum, khakis and a dress shirt. You don't go into an interview in casual clothing, unless you're applying to a position at a fast food joint.
    It has been said many times that every man should own at least one decent suit. They are an investment in your future self.

For everyone who is saying suits are super expensive: https://www.combatgent.com/
    Last edited by Maglen; 2016-10-01 at 04:33 AM.
    In my day we didn't have World of Warcraft or Guild Wars. We had World War 2, and when you shot at the Germans it aggroed five thousand of their friends!

"A blind, deaf, comatose lobotomy patient could feel my anger!!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    It's not about mind games. You're overthinking it. It's seeing if you have some basic common fucking sense.
    Common sense that they get where? I mean apparently employers aren't teaching it, schools sure as hell aren't teaching it, who knows if their parents are teaching it. It's not like people are just born with the knowledge that they should dress a certain way for an interview. So why give secret tests? Why not just be clear with your expectations? What's so difficult about that?

Maybe I'll just put that somewhere on my resume. "basic common fucking sense", see how many prospective employers pick up on it.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

It's not like the OP is asking for people to wear some lavishly tailored suit. A button up, a tie, and khakis are things you can find at a thrift store. Hell I've seen suits at thrift stores too, although finding the right size could be tricky..

I feel it's less about judging someone by what they're wearing and more that the act of dressing up shows the employer you care enough about getting this job to put in the effort to look your best.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    If they need a job, they probably can't afford a nice suit. There's nothing wrong with a decent t-shirt tucked into some khakis. Also, and I know all interviewers do this, the way they dress is completely irrelevant to anything, at all. Except maybe how desperate they are to get a job, so maybe hire the homeless guy in tattered rags. He'd be grateful to work hard.
    The problem is, first impressions count...even when they shouldn't. How you present yourself at a job interview really affects how seriously you're taken by the interviewers. This is, incidentally, why it's so important that programs which reach out to the homeless to assist them with clothing for things like job interviews are supported.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Master Higuchi View Post
    It's not like the OP is asking for people to wear some lavishly tailored suit. A button up, a tie, and khakis are things you can find at a thrift store. Hell I've seen suits at thrift stores too, although finding the right size could be tricky..

I feel it's less about judging someone by what they're wearing and more that the act of dressing up shows the employer you care enough about getting this job to put in the effort to look your best.
    Bingo.

All the people saying that your attire doesn't matter is missing the point. There are many people out there who are qualified for that job so it boils down to who you want.

The guy who shows up in shorts and a tee shirt. Or the guy who cares enough about making a good impression to at least borrow a suit.

Deleted
    I honestly don't really care about dressing tidy myself, but if it was me I'd question someone who won't even take the effort to make themself look the best they can for an interview. I'm not talking about a suit, you can dress yourself tidy without one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Master Higuchi View Post

Pretty much.

Suits are really expensive for people just coming out of college. Suits for job interviews are rather outdated anyway.

It's so easy to manipulate the weak-minded and ignorant by throwing on some decent clothing that you'd have to be stupid not to.

I mean, it doesn't matter at all, but since it's well-known that people will judge you based on appearance, it's an easy way to manipulate others into thinking well of you, regardless of whether it's deserved or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    It's so easy to manipulate the weak-minded and ignorant by throwing on some decent clothing that you'd have to be stupid not to.

I mean, it doesn't matter at all, but since it's well-known that people will judge you based on appearance, it's an easy way to manipulate others into thinking well of you, regardless of whether it's deserved or not.
    That goes with literally every action you do in life though.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post

So Dark...

Its not about any of that. By wearing a suit, or smart dress of some kind, but prefferably a suit, you're eliminating any judgement the interviewer can make on you via their first impression.

It gives both you and the interviewer a level playing field upon which the interview can be conducted, without prejudice.

Its not about manipulating people, its not about being old or young, its about common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    That goes with literally every action you do in life though.
    To an extent, but first appearances are a particularly notable example of people judging you on the most trivial of facts. (Unless you appearance is actually relevant, of course.)

But once you get beyond appearance, most of what's left isn't true manipulation... unless you're only nice to others because you have to be or because it's expected, of course. I have no problem letting people know I don't like them, but still working with them. I don't like my Chief at all on a personal level, but he's fantastic at what he does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    So Dark...

Its not about any of that. By wearing a suit, or smart dress of some kind, but prefferably a suit, you're eliminating any judgement the interviewer can make on you via their first impression.

It gives both you and the interviewer a level playing field upon which the interview can be conducted, without prejudice.

Its not about manipulating people, its not about being old or young, its about common sense.
    What you describe is literally manipulation; you're playing on the preconceptions of others and giving them what they want to see. It has absolutely zero bearing or relevance to what you're doing, but it's an easy way to score points.

It is common sense, I agree. That's pretty much what I said. All I did was strip away the pleasant euphamisms that let people think first impressions are about anything other than manipulating the reactions of people around you.

Edit: It should be noted that not all manipulations are negative. In this case, it's a manipulation that benefits both sides; the interviewer has their prejudices pleased, and the applicant has a better chance at getting what they want. Ideally, both sides walk away happy. That doesn't make the exchange any less manipulative... it just means that the manipulation is not done with any malicious intent.
    Last edited by darkwarrior42; 2016-10-01 at 10:41 AM.