Poll: More Artifacts in the future, or back to weapons as regular loot?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

More Artifacts in future, or back to weapons as loot drops?

I love Artifact Weapons, and everything about them; the gradual progression and increase in power, hunting for relics to improve them, all the appearances you can unlock, the upgrades that make empowering them fast, the lore and story, quests to acquire them, everything.

But what about the future? How are weapons going to work in the next expansion? Would you be content with leaving their artifacts behind and going back to just hunting for weapons as loot drops they way we did pre-Legion? Or would you rather the artifact system continue in the future, however it works, maybe upgrading existing artifacts with a new array of abilities to unlock, or new artifacts entirely with new lore and quests revolving around them?

I love the artifacts so far, and wouldn't mind seeing our current ones remain in some form. I wouldn't mind seeing secondary leveling paths for them when a new expansion comes, if only to not have us suddenly lose these weapons which are supposed to be supremely powerful.

I'm pretty sure that the set-up to the next expansion (or maybe just their initial quests) will have us heroes being forced to sacrifice out artifact weapons in a ritual to stop the next implacable, mind-bogglingly powerful evil that's coming to threaten Azeroth. Artifacts are this expansion's gimmick, and Blizzard doesn't usually like reusing their gimmicks directly.

If you ask me, next expansion instead of going after ancient, all-powerful items, we're so badass we're going to create our own artifacts instead. So instead of waving around Queen Azshara's scepter, we'll get our own dingy hammer, bling it up, and then just let it soak up on our own awesomeness until its name turns gold.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

10+ Year Old Account
    For those voting for weapons to go back to just ordinary loot drops, I'd be genuinely interested to hear your thoughts on why you'd rather have that over artifacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the set-up to the next expansion (or maybe just their initial quests) will have us heroes being forced to sacrifice out artifact weapons in a ritual to stop the next implacable, mind-bogglingly powerful evil that's coming to threaten Azeroth. Artifacts are this expansion's gimmick, and Blizzard doesn't usually like reusing their gimmicks directly.
    I've heard people say this, but Artifacts seem like more than just a gimmick; they're a new system that changes how a character progresses. It's like how they added new professions, inscription and jewelcrafting for example. Those didn't go away the expansion after they were introduced, the artifact system could be the same way. It might change, like how talents have changed, but I'd be very surprised if we reverted to simple item drops.

I definitely think that acquiring new artifacts is a strong possibility; forging new weapons could be cool, though they'd necessarily lack a lot of the history and lore that, for me, make current artifact weapons so enjoyable. But perhaps the new artifact weapons could be brand new while the story element is tied in with something else; maybe the Path of the Titans will be resurrected and introduced at some point.

7+ Year Old Account
    I really like the current system of Artifacts. Not having to keep switching weapens is really great and having core abilities connected to our weapen is great immersion.

I have though heard, that Blizzard have planned Artifacts to be a single-expansion thing. I would love for them to find a system very much like our current system for a future expansion. I am a huge fan of Artifact Power and i hope that they implement after-max-lvl-progression in the future expansions
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

I hate artifacts, farming AP and the fact that it completely ruins transmog options.

I'd love to go back normal weapons after legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann;42609212If you ask me, next expansion instead of going after ancient, all-powerful items, we're so badass we're going to [I
    create [/I]our own artifacts instead. So instead of waving around Queen Azshara's scepter, we'll get our own dingy hammer, bling it up, and then just let it soak up on our own awesomeness until its name turns gold.
    Lame. The biggest reason keeping one weapon throughout an entire works is because they're these god-like weapons with a huge history and lore attached. keeping a crafted/forged weapon throughout a whole expansion would be like keeping that shit-tier ilvl green sword you crafted when you first dinged level cap until the next expansion is released.....no

I can see the final battle using our artifact weapons to destroy the final boss and the artifacts being destroyed

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be surprised if Blizz would continue to support another series of artifact. There is just not enough "well known" weapons to create another series. Besides, they said it was a system for this expansion only.

I like the artifacts and the work they put behind it but I think weapon drop is the most interesting drop you can get and it will feel nice to get weapons drop in the next expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceveda View Post
    I hate artifacts, farming AP and the fact that it completely ruins transmog options.

wat, you can xmog em

i like artifacts and im genuilly interested what they gonna do next xpac
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    For those voting for weapons to go back to just ordinary loot drops, I'd be genuinely interested to hear your thoughts on why you'd rather have that over artifacts.

I've heard people say this, but Artifacts seem like more than just a gimmick; they're a new system that changes how a character progresses. It's like how they added new professions, inscription and jewelcrafting for example. Those didn't go away the expansion after they were introduced, the artifact system could be the same way. It might change, like how talents have changed, but I'd be very surprised if we reverted to simple item drops.

I definitely think that acquiring new artifacts is a strong possibility; forging new weapons could be cool, though they'd necessarily lack a lot of the history and lore that, for me, make current artifact weapons so enjoyable. But perhaps the new artifact weapons could be brand new while the story element is tied in with something else; maybe the Path of the Titans will be resurrected and introduced at some point.
    You're right they are more than a gimmick. They gutted and pruned abilities, classes, and the entire glyph system to make room for them. They made you gain your own abilities back. They make switching specs extremely punishing. They make reseting traits extremely punishing. More punishing than it has ever been, and that's after they decided to get rid of a progressive gold cost to change spec. They make playing alt extremely punishing. They remove enchants. They limit you extremely narrowly to the type of weapon you can use for an entire expansion/2+ years. They removed the single greatest and most exciting increase to your dps, a weapon drop. I can not think of any benefit they have provided.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Esandarius View Post
    You're right they are more than a gimmick. They gutted and pruned abilities, classes, and the entire glyph system to make room for them. They made you gain your own abilities back. They make switching specs extremely punishing. They make reseting traits extremely punishing. More punishing than it has ever been, and that's after they decided to get rid of a progressive gold cost to change spec. They make playing alt extremely punishing. They remove enchants. They limit you extremely narrowly to the type of weapon you can use for an entire expansion/2+ years. They removed the single greatest and most exciting increase to your dps, a weapon drop. I can not think of any benefit they have provided.
    switching specs takes no time to back fast
    you reset traits max. 1x if you fucked up, then you mostly just follow a guide or use ur head
    alts are not an extension of your main, they are own characters if you want two chars you gotta play more
    enchants are still in game, just not from weapon cuz that would be silly considerin you only have one weapon
    weapon drop is gone, yes but you get relics now which increase the power of your weapon

soooo most of your complains are total bs
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I love the concept of artifact weapons, but the execution leaves much to be desired. I hope if they go forward with them that they'll offer one of every weapon type. One of my biggest gripes right now is that I can't transmog my Doomhammer to fist weapons. AP also needs to be pooled, none of this per weapon nonsense.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be okay with making my own artifact next expansion. The skill progression would probably be dictated by Blizzard, but maybe we get to customize its appearance.

Or maybe artifact weapons get dropped and we end up with artifact armor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Awesome
    Oh, hello, I did not see you standing there, staring at me. Perhaps you have noticed that every piece of my armor is an ancient relic, forgotten by time.
    We're just getting a better grade of artifact now, all along we have been chasing items of legendary power.

Joking aside, I'd like to see Blizz stick to this. A number of the artifacts have back stories that would fit the theme -- weapons from the Legion or from others who once fought the Legion.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceveda View Post

Because you can't transmog other weapons into the artifact appearance? Which could change in future expansions; you can now use the legendary cloaks from MoP in Xmog.

I love artifact weapons, it provides meaningful progression at max level and removes the frustrating nature of getting fucked over by RNG on weapon drops. I don't want WoW to return to normal weapons, progression of player power being entirely RNG dependent just isn't fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Hope on racial order halls and weapons, where we do quests back in the old world to rebuild the zones for our races around the main cities.

Horde needs new lore characters after all those deaths and this might actually work to rebuild the Horde.

Deleted
    I love the system, because I can keep working on upgrading mine by putting time into it (to a degree) without RNG interference and at my own leisure.

However, I prefer to obtain other Artifacts after Legion. I want to see past Legendaries become Artifacts. Warglaives of Azzinoth and Aetish are my most requested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Artifacts should have been a final expansion thing in my opinion. Can you guys imagine what Legion artifacts will be like when it has become outdated content?

Yeah.

Personally I argue this SHOULD be the last expack, but Actiblizzard won't kill their cash cow and that's another point entirely anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

I really really hope they keep the system, but give us different weapons.