Deleted

Disc/Holy Mana management

So i recently switched to my priest (From druid) since my Raid needs a bit more class variety for mythic (currently 2/7mythic, we already have 2 restodruids)

I am at 16 points in both Disc and Holy weapon and around 848 ilvl.

Now to my issue: While i can hold up HPS wise, my mana goes empty way too fast and much faster than what i am used to. With druid, i had quite a few artifact traits that reduce mana cost quite a lot.

Our innervates go to our restoshaman and hpally.

I try to stay away from renew as much as possible and try not to use plea too much to spread atonement before AoE healing phases.

Are there like common mistakes people do with priests which wastes a lot of mana?

As holy i cant tell. bur as discipline, the innervates should be for him. That will allow cast about 5 radiances and full the raid of expiation and raise all the lifes.

Why the tits does a holy paladin need an innervate

hahhaha, to **** the discipline and make jokes about his mana problems

Disc in raids and Disc in 5mans is like night and day.

In raids, Disc is like an arcane mage: If you go full ham, you're going to be OOM in like 2 minutes. It's kind of awkward and counter intuitive, compared to the rest of the healers. What you have to do as Disc is basically just...chill out and let other healers cover most of the raid damage. You have to play like an arcane mage: Just go easy on healing most of the time, and only go full ham when the raid situation calls for it.

I know it sounds really fucking dumb, and I also thought it was really fucking dumb, but it works. Disc's main strength is healing up raidwide burst damage, and that's just about it. If you try and heal everyone all the time like a normal healer, you're going to find yourself OOM halfway through the fight. It's especially confusing because with most healers, you follow the "ABC" rule: Always Be Casting...but if you do this as Disc, you're going to burn right through your mana bar super quick.

The trick is to not cast Plea if you have more than 5 Atonements out. At about 6 atonements, Plea starts getting really, really expensive, and Shadowmend / PWS are much better options. When you know there's going to be big raidwide damage coming, throw out 1 or 2 PWR's and hit Mindbender, or Light's Wrath, and then Penance/Smite.

If there's not much damage going out, feel free to just not cast for 3-6 seconds, to conserve mana. I know, I know, "just don't cast as much!" sounds really fucking dumb, but it's what Disc has to do in raids. When there's not much damage going out, you just keep 2-4 Atonements active and smite a bit, then just before big raid damage hits, you throw out lots of Atonements and go ham for 10 seconds, then go back to chilling out with just a few atonements and a few smites. Don't try to heal every little bit of damage that goes out.

ALSO, if you can get your hands on a Promises darkmoon deck, do it. The mana gains from this trinket are insane, especially when you boost it to 850. I managed to snag one for only 38k, so it's not super expensive. After getting this trinket, my mana issues are nonexistent.

You'll definitely want to be getting Innervates from your druids. That innervate will let you hit like 4 or 5 PWR casts, and then you can just Smite/Penance to do a metric fuckload of healing for very little mana.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2016-10-01 at 11:00 PM.

@anon5123

so exactly the same way druid, holy priest, and shaman have been playing the last 3 xpacs once you account for occasionally throwing out a really efficient heal when it's off cd?

Quote Originally Posted by ryklin View Post
    so exactly the same way druid, holy priest, and shaman have been playing the last 3 xpacs
    What WoW were you playing, where the best way to heal was to stop healing for a few seconds to conserve mana? What WoW were you playing where healers could run completely OOM in 2 minutes?

In previous expansions and even now, the best way to heal was to always be casting. If you ran out of mana, you were undergeared or spamming inefficient heals too much.

Disc's optimal playstyle is to just let other healers pick up smaller raid damage while you chill out, and only go full ham for large raidwide damage, along with occasionally just not casting at all, in order to regen. No other healer plays like that atm. I mean, you can, but it'd be suboptimal for non-Disc healers to not cast.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2016-10-02 at 02:26 PM.

I mean in wod, the first 2 raids (although you were still technically spamming damage spells that cost no mana), kinda thrown out by the soc trinket in hfc

and mop pre-LMG

and cata before int x spirit multipliers got out of control in firelands gear

at least for resto droods and holy priests, shamans could spam a bit longer during most of those periods, which is actually quite how druid played other than keeping up efflo/lifebloom and an occasional WG or PoM, circle, and refreshing a few select renews with heal