Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    So deliberately create a civil war? What morons in the EU would want to do that?
    exactly how can one have a custom's union with no border?
    - The UK have not even made up its mind if it's leaving the customs union.
    How can the UK control it's borders, if there is no border control at its border?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    The bolded part sounds fishy. Normally EU stuff is put into law when needed.
    yes, and now its needed, because EU law will not be UK law by default anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    exactly how can one have a custom's union with no border?
    - The UK have not even made up its mind if it's leaving the customs union.
    How can the UK control it's borders, if there is no border control at its border?
    That is an issue for the UK and Ireland to resolve, it is not insurmountable due to there being border controls into Ireland.

10+ Year Old Account
    A toast to the UK's upcoming recession and the collapse of its formerly protected industries.

Deleted
    That is an issue for the UK and Ireland to resolve, it is not insurmountable due to there being border controls into Ireland.
    but you get that goods and people can move freely into Ireland?

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    I'm pretty sure it will happen in march 2017, I'm just not too sure what it is.
    Party summit is not over yet, perhaps something more real news after the weekend ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    A massive leap of imagination there. I can't see how a closed border between NI and Eire would result in resumed hostilities between the unionists and the republicans of NI.
    It would be breaking the Good Friday Agreement. There is a good reason that neither Ireland nor the UK want a traditional border established and both would reject any proposal by the EU to implement one.

but you get that goods and people can move freely into Ireland?
    And what is your point? Are they all going to sit in Northern Ireland, unable to claim any benefits, work legally, or travel across the Irish Sea?

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    It would be breaking the Good Friday Agreement. There is a good reason that neither Ireland nor the UK want a traditional border established and both would reject any proposal by the EU to implement one.

Good Friday was not with a non-EU Northern Ireland in mind. Or does it contain any provisions already ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    A toast to the UK's upcoming recession and the collapse of its formerly protected industries.
    Shouldn't someone with the PS Logo know better than this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Shouldn't someone with the PS Logo know better than this?
    The rose is a legacy of my ALP voting days.

Deleted
    Smelling some butthurt EU fanbois in here.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMin View Post
    Smelling some butthurt EU fanbois in here.
    We call it "morbid fascination".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Good Friday was not with a non-EU Northern Ireland in mind. Or does it contain any provisions already ?
    I don't really see why the EU comes into it.

Are all these immigrants and goods trying to get into the UK just going to sit in Northern Ireland? What would be the point if they can't earn money? Norn Iron isn't a wealthy province, if you ship goods and labour into the UK you primarily want them to go to South East England, not Ulster.

I don't really see why the EU comes into it.

Are all these immigrants and goods trying to get into the UK just going to sit in Northern Ireland? What would be the point if they can't earn money? Norn Iron isn't a wealthy province, if you ship goods and labour into the UK you primarily want them to go to South East England, not Ulster.
    Why would they want to get in the UK? No they might want to get into the EU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Why would they want to get in the UK? No they might want to get into the EU.
    The Northern Irish are entitled to Irish passports anyway and Ireland is not in the Schengen Area, so it would make no difference to the mainland EU, as they can check passports on entry from Ireland - you clearly don't know any of this, so do not try and pretend you do - and British people in Ireland would have the same issues of not being able to work, claim benefits, or sell goods legally.

Why would mainland British people not just go to continental Europe by ferry, plane or tunnel anyway? It would be far easier than a circuitous journey through Norn Iron.

The Northern Irish are entitled to Irish passports anyway and Ireland is not in the Schengen Area, so it would make no difference to the mainland EU, as they can check passports on entry from Ireland - you clearly don't know any of this, so do not try and pretend you do - and British people in Ireland would have the same issues of not being able to work, claim benefits, or sell goods legally.

Why would mainland British people not just go to continental Europe by ferry, plane or tunnel anyway? It would be far easier than a circuitous journey through Norn Iron.
    I'm talking about ilegal immigrants from the rest of the UK, but you know that.
    And yes, they wouldn't be able to work legally, just like now.

The whole thing is only a problem if the UK makes it one, and it isn't like EU regulations come as a ssurprise, the UK had their part in making them the way they are now.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2016-10-02 at 09:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    I'm talking about ilegal immigrants from the rest of the UK, but you know that.
    And yes, they wouldn't be able to work legally, just like now.
    What illegal immigrants from the rest of the UK? They would only be able to get as far as Eire, that is the point.

The whole thing is only a problem if the UK makes it one, and it isn't like EU regulations come as a ssurprise, the UK had their part in making them the way they are now.
    You have no idea what regulations are in place now, so how do you know what issues will arise?

10+ Year Old Account
    Given her track record as Home Secretary it'd be surprising if anything actually happens by March.

Deleted
    It would be breaking the Good Friday Agreement.
    Leaving the EU - is breaking the good Friday agreement.
    There is a good reason that neither Ireland nor the UK want a traditional border established and both would reject any proposal by the EU to implement one.
    Its the UK that want and need one -
    And what is your point? Are they all going to sit in Northern Ireland, unable to claim any benefits, work legally, or travel across the Irish Sea?
    You do know that if there is no border between NI and I, they can get to I, then into NI, and then, They are in the UK?
    (and there is no border check going from NI to the rest of the UK)
    Last edited by mmocfd561176b9; 2016-10-02 at 09:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leaving the EU - is breaking the good Friday agreement.
    Is that written in there? Most deals between the UK and Ireland are negotiated taking our unique circumstances into account, I find it surprising the Good Friday Agreement stipulated EU membership.

Its the UK that want and need one -
    As things currently stand, and are likely to stand post-Brexit, not really. Ireland not being in Schengen and both of us being islands, means that it is a relatively minor obstacle, both nations are fine with current arrangements.

In theory it is a problem, in reality not so much.

- - - Updated - - -

You do know that if there is no border between NI and I, they can get to I, then into NI, and then, They are in the UK?
    (and there is no border check going from NI to the rest of the UK)
    "British or Irish citizens do not require to show a passport when travelling between their respective countries, but those crossing by ferry or air from Northern / the Republic of Ireland to mainland UK will require photo identification."

In theory it is a problem, in reality not so much.
    Sure but, as the argument was framed and presented, this is only an issue if the UK wants it to be an issue.
    The UK is alright with having a sorta, kinda, not really, border with Ireland. If the UK wants that to still be the case -which she does-, she won't make much of a fuzz about it. It's half measures and compromise: bread and butter of these matters.

This will not be an issue. But it feeds into certain narratives: just like she maintains a not-quite-a-border, she'll perform a not-quite-an-exit.