Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is Enhancement shaman considered top tier for Mythic + Dungeons?

So My friends want me to play on their server again to do a mythic + dungeon group and I was wondering if shaman is any good I know they're one of the best at single target but how does their aoe hold up against the other top tiers ie. Fire mage, Demon hunter, WW monk, and bm hunter? They want to push for M +10 so the class choice does matter to me. Thanks for your time and help

Quote Originally Posted by Hatemuffin View Post
    So My friends want me to play on their server again to do a mythic + dungeon group and I was wondering if shaman is any good I know they're one of the best at single target but how does their aoe hold up against the other top tiers ie. Fire mage, Demon hunter, WW monk, and bm hunter? They want to push for M +10 so the class choice does matter to me. Thanks for your time and help
    Everything is viable to +10.

+15, is a different story.

But enh sham is good, and brings lust, so they'll always be part of a viable group for that alone if your healer isnt an rsham.

Enha do a good damage and have bloodlust, so i think is very good for high level of mythic dungeons

Quote Originally Posted by Astraios View Post
    Everything is viable to +10.

+15, is a different story.

But enh sham is good, and brings lust, so they'll always be part of a viable group for that alone if your healer isnt an rsham.
    I meant 10 + as in 10 and higher, sorry for the mistake. The group has a mage so lust isn't a big factor. I just want to know if they would be considered tier 1 in single target and AoE damage. Obviously moves like lightning surge totem are very good for them as well.

There are four primary points you should be looking if you're aiming for mythic 15 and on in your class.

1) AoE

Pretty simple, can your class do well at consistent 3-4 target cleave? Bonus points if you can control this AoE in case of panic CC. The big classes here are: Combat rogue, Fire mage, Frost DK, MM Hunter, WW Monk. After that, some second string AoE DPS are Enh shaman, Fury Warrior, Arcane Mage, Demo lock. These classes may be able to keep up with the best at AoE/4 target cleave, however they all bring some downside. When reaching into the high mythic+, Ele Shammies become very very potent due to how their AoE works and the constant 3 targets to chain lightning.

2) Single Target

Again, a basic numbers game. Sometimes you have to burn a boss, sometimes you have to burn some trash - being able to burst for roughly 60 seconds is pretty important. Demo lock, Assassination rogue, Feral druid, Ret pally, Spriest, Fire mage are the top-dogs here. Bare in mind, Spriest will cost you roughly 3-5 seconds of time unless you're in halls(which she'll cost you ~3 seconds if she's night elf or between 3-9 seconds if not for every boss). *Don't look at SIMs for this. They assume a 5-8 minute fight. You need to assume a 1 - 2 minute fight*

3) CC

Incredibly important - way more than most people give it credit for. Being able lock down the entire pull is what makes mythic+ 13 and on possible. It's important to be reliable, as well - so something like Ret Pallies stun in Blackrook hold might be good, it's also not going to happen in a good chunk of runs. Locks, shammys, WW Monk, Spriest, hunters, warriors, Frost DK. *Bare in mind* Only bringing 2-3 specs with an AoE Stun is worth it due to Diminishing returns.

4) Utility

Utility is a few things, but in general can you cheese a mechanic, can you make fights easier and can you speed up the dungeon? This is hard to quantify, but a lot of people vastly underestimate Ret Pallies +~4% group DPS and overestimate shammy's Bloodlust. In the entirety of the dungeon, Lust will bring ~+2-4% DPS. Also, Earthquake is the most underrated spell in the game in Mythic+ - it alone makes Ele Shammy one of the top 3 specs in Mythic+. There's cheese on lots of boss and mechanics but one of the larger ones is in Blackrook hold:

Amalgam of souls. If everyone can immune/cloak/guarantee survive explosion you can ignore the adds entirely. Holy Paladins are the only healer who can do this, though. Ret Paladin, Rogue, Mage, Spriest(up to about Mythic+13) and Hunter can all cheese this mechanic. Prot Paladin, Prot warrior and Demon Hunter can cheese this as well. Blood DK can as well but...kinda needs a shitload of healing afterwards. This can save a dozen or so seconds at minimum. As you reach higher mythic+, this saves more and more time. This isn't the only mechanic you can cheese like this, either.

For general Mythic+ stuff, I'd consider Enh shaman to be the weakest of the three specs. Having an Elemental shaman makes every pull vastly easier due to how EQ works and they have some of the highest 3-4 target cleave.

If you want to make a pure Mythic+ character: Hunter is almost certainly top-dog. Beyond that, most high-end group is likely going to want an Elemental Shaman. It allows you to pull more, safer. Mage is always going to be very strong, either as Arcane or Fire. Demo lock is great at everything except mobility. As you reach into very high Mythic+ this becomes less of an issue and they really start to come in as very high dps, but lower Mythic+(read: +6 and lower) are going to fall woefully behind the 'better' dps.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by Yoshimiko; 2016-10-01 at 12:19 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    @Yoshimiko im not gonna bother quoting the whole thing. but how in any world is ele more dps than enh? please explain because there is actually no proof of that at all.

Deleted
    Ele brings good cleave and has more utility than Enh in case of trash pulls, simply because of Earthquake. These random stuns really cut a lot of pressure. The higher you go, the more you notice that while good trashman deeps is needed and nice, bringing just damage doesn't really cut it. Sure, for farming at 2-4 keystone trashman dps is everything, but for 8+? CC, slows, off-healing and utility in general starts to matter,

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    There are four primary points you should be looking if you're aiming for mythic 15 and on in your class.

1) AoE

Pretty simple, can your class do well at consistent 3-4 target cleave? Bonus points if you can control this AoE in case of panic CC. The big classes here are: Combat rogue, Fire mage, Frost DK, MM Hunter, WW Monk. After that, some second string AoE DPS are Enh shaman, Fury Warrior, Arcane Mage, Demo lock. These classes may be able to keep up with the best at AoE/4 target cleave, however they all bring some downside. When reaching into the high mythic+, Ele Shammies become very very potent due to how their AoE works and the constant 3 targets to chain lightning.

2) Single Target

Again, a basic numbers game. Sometimes you have to burn a boss, sometimes you have to burn some trash - being able to burst for roughly 60 seconds is pretty important. Demo lock, Assassination rogue, Feral druid, Ret pally, Spriest, Fire mage are the top-dogs here. Bare in mind, Spriest will cost you roughly 3-5 seconds of time unless you're in halls(which she'll cost you ~3 seconds if she's night elf or between 3-9 seconds if not for every boss). *Don't look at SIMs for this. They assume a 5-8 minute fight. You need to assume a 1 - 2 minute fight*

3) CC

Incredibly important - way more than most people give it credit for. Being able lock down the entire pull is what makes mythic+ 13 and on possible. It's important to be reliable, as well - so something like Ret Pallies stun in Blackrook hold might be good, it's also not going to happen in a good chunk of runs. Locks, shammys, WW Monk, Spriest, hunters, warriors, Frost DK. *Bare in mind* Only bringing 2-3 specs with an AoE Stun is worth it due to Diminishing returns.

4) Utility

Utility is a few things, but in general can you cheese a mechanic, can you make fights easier and can you speed up the dungeon? This is hard to quantify, but a lot of people vastly underestimate Ret Pallies +~4% group DPS and overestimate shammy's Bloodlust. In the entirety of the dungeon, Lust will bring ~+2-4% DPS. Also, Earthquake is the most underrated spell in the game in Mythic+ - it alone makes Ele Shammy one of the top 3 specs in Mythic+. There's cheese on lots of boss and mechanics but one of the larger ones is in Blackrook hold:

Amalgam of souls. If everyone can immune/cloak/guarantee survive explosion you can ignore the adds entirely. Holy Paladins are the only healer who can do this, though. Ret Paladin, Rogue, Mage, Spriest(up to about Mythic+13) and Hunter can all cheese this mechanic. Prot Paladin, Prot warrior and Demon Hunter can cheese this as well. Blood DK can as well but...kinda needs a shitload of healing afterwards. This can save a dozen or so seconds at minimum. As you reach higher mythic+, this saves more and more time. This isn't the only mechanic you can cheese like this, either.

For general Mythic+ stuff, I'd consider Enh shaman to be the weakest of the three specs. Having an Elemental shaman makes every pull vastly easier due to how EQ works and they have some of the highest 3-4 target cleave.

If you want to make a pure Mythic+ character: Hunter is almost certainly top-dog. Beyond that, most high-end group is likely going to want an Elemental Shaman. It allows you to pull more, safer. Mage is always going to be very strong, either as Arcane or Fire. Demo lock is great at everything except mobility. As you reach into very high Mythic+ this becomes less of an issue and they really start to come in as very high dps, but lower Mythic+(read: +6 and lower) are going to fall woefully behind the 'better' dps.

Best of luck!
    I would also like to know about the AoE dps of ele. I've personally only heard that it was bad.

Here's the trick for Mythic +15:

Wait until Blizzard releases the next raid tier along with a bunch of high ilvl welfare gear.

brb rerolling ele main alt

Deleted

1) AoE

2) Single Target

3) CC

4) Utility

Best of luck!
    Ok so in general this isnt bad info, ------>IF<------ you completely ignore his class suggestions for damage in different situations.

Combat rogues aoe dps very largely relies on RnG.

Their dps on bosses less so. Assassination is a decent spec for ST but its not especially better then the other rogues. Especially seing how their burst is not as strong as outlaw or sub.

I play a rogue so i will only comment on these.

Rogues are not very good in Mythic plus dungeons atm. sadly.

1) AoE

2) Single Target

3) CC

4) Utility

Best of luck!

You prob played d3 on high GR?

because only people that actually played d3 on high GR understand HOW VALUABLE CC ARE to do Myth+ after 8

---

for the plebs, if you think that myth+ 10 = myth+ 2 - lul just AOE dude - i have bad news for you. You have to make any pull really smart

Enha shamans aren't that good for mythics unless you have the legendary boots. You should roll resto for dungeons, a resto shaman brings the same utility and makes room for top tier dps specs such as havoc, ww and bm.

I would also like to mention that warlock of any spec in dungeons that are heavy demon focus can banish and also enslave (some mobs are immune). Essentially double CC. A LOT of people (warlocks included) tend to forget about these 2 spells as they historically haven't been super useful outside of niche applications

Quote Originally Posted by Rawrzillasor View Post
    @Yoshimiko im not gonna bother quoting the whole thing. but how in any world is ele more dps than enh? please explain because there is actually no proof of that at all.
    Doesn't take rocket science for someone to realize how Elemental would be better than Enhance in m+

I'm gutted that everyone says outlaw isn't great for mythic+, I just got my very first legendary on my rogue alt so I made it my new main.

Could someone do a ranking of the mythic classes in general just so we kinda know what's what?

Thinking tank, healer, melee, ranged
    @Yoshimiko

Quote Originally Posted by Rym1469 View Post
    Ele brings good cleave and has more utility than Enh in case of trash pulls, simply because of Earthquake. These random stuns really cut a lot of pressure. The higher you go, the more you notice that while good trashman deeps is needed and nice, bringing just damage doesn't really cut it. Sure, for farming at 2-4 keystone trashman dps is everything, but for 8+? CC, slows, off-healing and utility in general starts to matter,
    yup in a big pack with a lot of health over 30-40 seconds of aoe on higher tiers, i can easily interrupt 15 spells, 10+ uninterruptable casts from the EQ stun, and generally just stunning melee, i can probably throw down 5 EQ in 10 seconds, each is likely to stun a mob for 2 seconds, you're looking at 8-10 seconds of no DR stuns for the next 5-15 seconds.

if you're going to have to drop to 1-2 mobs plus CC then ele just falls to useless, killing mobs 1-2 at a time is not elementals strong suit.

I'd prefer elemental since they are ranged and still have AG plus all the other tools for shaman but ya enhance is totally viable. Everything is really
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV