Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Movie] Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Johnny Depp returns to the big screen as the iconic, swashbuckling anti-hero Jack Sparrow in the all-new “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.” The rip-roaring adventure finds down-on-his-luck Captain Jack feeling the winds of ill-fortune blowing strongly his way when deadly ghost sailors, led by the terrifying Captain Salazer (Javier Bardem), escape from the Devil’s Triangle bent on killing every pirate at sea – notably Jack. Jack’s only hope of survival lies in the legendary Trident of Poseidon, but to find it he must forge an uneasy alliance with Carina Smyth (Kaya Scodelario), a brilliant and beautiful astronomer, and Henry (Benton Thwaites), a headstrong young sailor in the Royal Navy. At the helm of the Dying Gull, his pitifull small and shabby ship, Captain Jack seeks not only to reverse his recent spate of ill fortune, but to save his very life from the most formidable and malicious foe he has never faced.

“Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” also stars Kevin R. McNally as Joshamee Gibbs, Golshifteh Farahani as the sea-witch Shansa, David Wenham as Scarfield, Stephen Graham as Scrum, and Geoffrey Rush as Captain Hector Barbossa.

Last edited by t1saif; 2017-03-02 at 02:48 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    So what happened to Will Turner?

I was kind of hoping that this guy we see walking down the stairs was Will turner untill I saw his face.

Looks like it mite be interesting, I have enjoyed all the pirate movies.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Rascal Bob View Post
    So what happened to Will Turner?

I was kind of hoping that this guy we see walking down the stairs was Will turner untill I saw his face.
    I don't think those are crew members of the Flying Dutchman I think they are a diff set of undead pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Looks like it mite be interesting, I have enjoyed all the pirate movies.
    Yeah, I'm glad they went back to a more supernatural theme. The fourth movie was more gritty and didn't really show Blackbeard as that powerful of a character, he used the sword twice and spent the rest of the movie worrying/not caring about his daughter.

Hopefully Bardem plays this character as interestingly as Geoffrey Rush or Bill Nighy played theirs.

Zombies again? I mean, wasn't that basically the first-- 4 movies?

Barbossa had undead pirates, Davy Jones had undead fish pirates, Blackbeard had zombie pirates and now..... more zombie pirates?

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Zombies again? I mean, wasn't that basically the first-- 4 movies?

Barbossa had undead pirates, Davy Jones had undead fish pirates, Blackbeard had zombie pirates and now..... more zombie pirates?
    These are ghosts, not zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro55 View Post
    These are ghosts, not zombies.
    I mean... still undead.

Deleted
    I didn't understand what that pirate said, was chewing too much tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    I mean... still undead.
    There aren't that many sea-related myths that don't involve some sort of ghost ship. Unless you want a movie focused on sea monsters, which would be a two hour version of the scenes with the kraken and the sirens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Arthur Dayne View Post
    I didn't understand what that pirate said, was chewing too much tobacco.
    "And tell him: Death will go straight for him! ... Will you say that to him? Please?"
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2016-10-03 at 04:22 PM.

Looks a bit cash-grabey...

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope Johnny depps dogs make an appearance, especially since he smuggled them into australia against all quarantine laws during the filming of this movie.
    Hi

So who is this Salazar chap?

10+ Year Old Account
    Will you tell him that? Please?

Lol lost it
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I never got into the Pirates of Carribean franchise. Is it good? Like really good? Or is it just like, big budget classic predictable cliche movies with a pirate theme?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Or is it just like, big budget classic predictable cliche movies with a pirate theme?
    You say that like it's a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I never got into the Pirates of Carribean franchise. Is it good? Like really good? Or is it just like, big budget classic predictable cliche movies with a pirate theme?
    I liked the first one. But then they just kind of seemed to remake that same movie three (and now four?) more times.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I liked the first one. But then they just kind of seemed to remake that same movie three (and now four?) more times.
    I don't think they are as similar as all that.

About the movie, don't really know what to expect, my expectations aren't too high.

I think these films work the best when its a story between a pirate vs upper class society. So you really need a charismatic actor in the role of an upper class society member to be jack's true foil. I'd cast Bruce Campbell as some upper crust british admiral and just let the thing write itself.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I think these films work the best when its a story between a pirate vs upper class society. So you really need a charismatic actor in the role of an upper class society member to be jack's true foil. I'd cast Bruce Campbell as some upper crust british admiral and just let the thing write itself.
    I disagree, Norrington and Beckett were cool, but Barbossa and Jones stole every scene they were in. Blackbeard was interesting, but very underdeveloped.

Legendary supernatural captains are more memorable than a loyal soldier or a greedy businessman. They're more threatening versions of the protagonist, each with their own personality, and not just commanders of a bland army.

Pirates fighting against an empire that threatens their lifestyle is fine for Black Sails, but PotC is more about entertainment and visuals.

The only alternative to a cursed/undead villain that I think could work for this franchise is a steampunk one.