Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    And honestly there is nothing really wrong with that.
    Indeed. In fact it's really not any different from using precious metals as currency, or backing up a currency with precious metals, since precious metals only have value because we like shiny things (yes I realize that some of them are valuable because they are actually useful). But if we valued materials based on how useful they were, we'd want to have our money backed up by Aluminum or Iron. It is our irrational desire for gold, silver and copper trinkets that gives those metals superior value to materials that have a common, regular usage (like Copper, Aluminum, Iron, or Oil). If people did not want for Diamonds because they are shiny, they would be worthless (they actually are...but I digress); as would gold and silver as their practical purposes are few.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Because it's a lot easier than deciding how many chickens a new car will cost

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Money is worth something for the same reason anything is worth something, people agree it is worth something.....
    Also because hauling massive amounts of chickens/grain/milk/wheat etc etc and so on, became rather impractical as a form of payment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Also because hauling massive amounts of chickens/grain/milk/wheat etc etc and so on, became rather impractical as a form of payment
    Not to mention, before money people hoarded perishable goods, which of course: perished because no reasonable human could eat that much food. Before we valued "money", we valued wheat.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

If not for fiat currency, a person would have to haul a truckload of apples to buy their iPhone.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    If not for fiat currency, a person would have to haul a truckload of apples to buy their iPhone.
    That would assume that everyone values an apple the same amount.

Maybe one guy thinks an apple is worth two iPhones. Currency in general standardizes trade, a dollar is a dollar everywhere. But an apple is worthless to an apple farmer, and it may be invaluable to a starving child.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Trump View Post
    Money is an illuison, a completely man made construct. It means absolutely nothing. It used to actually have some value but as of today money, itself, is an illusion. In today's world money is rarely even used in it's actual historical form. Most people have a bank account with direct deposit. Every 2 weeks some numbers are added and as you purchase things numbers are subtracted. You purchase things with 0's and 1's (online transactions, credit/debit cards). More numbers are transferred through cyber-space but nothing tangible (money) is actually transferred anymore. In most likelihood all physical money will cease to exist over the next few decades.
    Just because we determine the value doesn't mean it's an illusion.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Money is worth something. Unless you want to walk your cows somewhere to trade for a car, then drive your chickens somewhere to trade for cloth, then trade a wheel of cheese to someone to make clothes from that cloth. And so on.

That's why money exists. It doesn't have to be a promise from the government, so long as society agrees on its value.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2016-10-03 at 06:21 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    And honestly there is nothing really wrong with that.
    I disagree. A gold standard is much more reliable and stable.

The reason why fiat systems exist is because it's much easier to carry around 20 bucks in paper then it is 20 bucks worth of gold or silver coins.

I'd much prefer to go back to a gold/silver system.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    I disagree. A gold standard is much more reliable and stable.

The reason why fiat systems exist is because it's much easier to carry around 20 bucks in paper then it is 20 bucks worth of gold or silver coins.

I'd much prefer to go back to a gold/silver system.
    Is it?

Do you have economic data proving that? Because being able to do monetary policy without being tied to a physical substance is far superior to having to go find or steal gold to affect your economy.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    A gold standard is much more reliable and stable.
    How will you get more gold to expand the economy?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    How will you get more gold to expand the economy?
    Say you have more than you actually have?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Because people as a group decide that it's worth something.

Said something used to be in a value of something else, but has since shifted to a value based on.. well, the belief of it's value, more or less.
    Look,

If you're going to come in here and take my posts before I even post them, we can no longer be friends.

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    Look,

If you're going to come in here and take my posts before I even post them, we can no longer be friends.
    If it helps I was like "dayum this is a bigzo thread if ever there was one, where the fuck is he". Then I posted your post.

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    Look,

She said nothing about booty, don't worry.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    If it helps I was like "dayum this is a bigzo thread if ever there was one, where the fuck is he". Then I posted your post.
    Work.

Looking for more work.

Looking for new work to compliment the more work.

Trying to figure out why my oven gets smokey when I try to make something over the last few monthes; I just want some fucking pork chops! without my smoke alarn going off.

Quote Originally Posted by Renamename View Post
    Why is money worth anything?

Lets face it since it was taken off the gold standard its just now promises from countries that is seen as trustworthy.

Money from shitty country's aint worth the paper they are printed on but countries like the US and Britain and the EU is worth something?

At the end of the day its just paper and numbers on a computer screen but why is that certain countries money is worth more than others when its all the same worthless paper?
    Its based on the oil standard now

Deleted
    Because here's the thing, in the ye olde' days, you'd trade 1 cow for 4 pigs.

Today however, buying 1 flatscreen tv for 5 fridges is a bit of a pain.

Deleted
    You said it yourself with the word "trustworthy", it's pretty much become a rating system about how good a country is doing.