Thread: Motorcycles.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Haha, so many chickenshits hiding behind keyboards. Oooh no the scurry motorcycles. Go out, ride one, its amazing. Nothing clears your mind and eases you like a good ride on a bike. Especially if you live near any sort of beautiful country with good views. I own and ride almost all styles of bikes, and if you were to rent something I'd recommend a BWM 1200gsr, ktm adventure, something of the like. Good performance, relatively comfortable, well behaved. Can take them on or off road fairly easily, although they're more suited to on road use.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colmadero View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'm already looking into the riders safety course for my state.
    $250 for ~15 hours and I believe it waives the state exam.
    You're on the best possible track already then. Find a class. Take a class. Never ride without your helmet (gloves are nice, not just for protection but they also help reduce vibration but you can do without them in a pinch), no sandals/flipflops/shorts, a jacket is great but not at the risk of overheating yourself, and watch out because while careless drivers are dangerous there will no doubt be someone on the road who will actively try to kill you.

- GSXR 750 <3 Riding since 2010. On things other than the GSXR, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Also sensing a lot of people who have never ridden a motorcycle in this thread are talking about how dangerous it is. Riding a regular bicycle is just about as dangerous. Most accidents are caused by another party.
    My brother's friend just got tagged by a truck while skateboarding. :\ Bonked his head a bit but he's fine. There's a definite risk-reward analysis any potential rider should do. For me, there was no way I was going to be able to afford a car, and the mileage even on a sport bike is too good to pass up. I pull ~40mpg even when I kinda ride like an asshole (which I never do on anything but clear roads).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Deleted
    Something like this, maybe?

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/si...?itok=Rw3-elBP

Let me know your thoughts and experiences!
    750cc on cruiser has less power than a 600cc sports bike. A quick check says it's about 40hp on that 750cc vs 80-100hp for a GSX 600 Having said that the 12-15 hp you get on 125cc bikes is enough to get you to up to 40mph quickly and a top speed of around 70 mph which is enough to cause problems if you get into trouble.

Spokes wheels like bicycle wheels, mostly use inner tubes which mean a lot more trouble with punctures. Tubeless tyres have plug kits. There are a few other differences between cast vs spoke wheels.

http://cycle-ergo.com/
    This website lets you look at seating and size on a lot of bikes so can get an idea of how you would fit on them.

If you aren't dead set on riding you can get safety gear which can be used off the bike without looking too odd for though I would get proper reinforced leather gloves and stuff which has or lets you add extra protection on the bits of you which hit the ground like elbows or knees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWuTcJcqAng
    There's a clip from the twist of the wrist movie which was a bit cheesy but gave advice on riding a bike. You can also look at youtube videos where people screw up to get an idea on common problems like these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewDS5ROrLcE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl7Wq80rkbA

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Aralon View Post
    Not about the US, but in the UK, for our tests, we are not allowed steel toe boots. I wouldn't recommend them any way, I find it difficult to "feel" the gears with them.
    I think the steel toe cap thing is a myth unless testers are just making it up themselves now.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Just be careful, I lost my father and uncle to motorcycle accidents, neither one was their fault. This was before people had smart phones and distracting driving is at a all time high. People are morons, drive like you're invisible.
    I can't stress this enough. This is what I hear from every motorcyclist. The old ones are old because they all drive as if nobody can see them. They do the thinking for everyone around them and that's why they're sitting on their old Honda or Harley looking like the baddest grandpas. Everyone else dies on the way or gives it up, because the missus makes them give it up.

Mate of mine is a good example. Got into an accident, because he thought overtaking a car on the left side in a right turn bend was a bright idea. Yeap... until he kissed the car coming the opposing direction. Got him a stay in the hospital for a few weeks. Not bad for one stupid idea. Aggressive/offensive driving + motorcycle = a guaranteed visit to the hospital eventually.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I can't stress this enough. This is what I hear from every motorcyclist. The old ones are old because they all drive as if nobody can see them. They do the thinking for everyone around them and that's why they're sitting on their old Honda or Harley looking like the baddest grandpas. Everyone else dies on the way or gives it up, because the missus makes them give it up.
    Funny story: my missus is a nurse and when I told her that I was interested in riding a bike she was like "ok, that actually sounds like fun"

Took me a minute to grasp the fact that she was OK with it. Her logic behind it was that since she's a nurse, she sees people in their deathbeds, some have life regrets, other don't. "What's the purpose life if you don't risk a little?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a video that'll help you not get killed buying a bike.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    You're on the best possible track already then. Find a class. Take a class. Never ride without your helmet (gloves are nice, not just for protection but they also help reduce vibration but you can do without them in a pinch), no sandals/flipflops/shorts, a jacket is great but not at the risk of overheating yourself, and watch out because while careless drivers are dangerous there will no doubt be someone on the road who will actively try to kill you.

- GSXR 750 <3 Riding since 2010. On things other than the GSXR, but whatever.
    What if I wanted to commute to work... I work in casual business and/or business.

Would you recommend commuting in this dress code? I see a lot of bike riders around me like that although I doubt it's the best thing.

Ugh so much mis-information being thrown out here it is amazing some of you are able to get dressed without having to put on safety equipment.

First-Take the riders course (already sounds like you are). I was riding for 2 years with just my permit and I STILL took the course. The first day was dumb (since I was already a rider) but the second day did teach me how much more I can throw the bike around safely.

Second-As for the bike itself. It all comes down to what you want. Sounds like a cruiser and here is my recommendation. Like others have pointed out, Honda Shadows are really good starter bikes. Low maintenance, runs like a champ, and still a good looking bike. Now here is where the bad information comes in. If you plan on doing some "longer" rides, maybe taking the scenic route on roads you will want a 750 or higher. The reason I say that isn't because "ZOMG I NEEDZ THE POWER", its because the 600's are only a 4 speed instead of a 5 speed transmission. With the 4 speed by the time you get up to 50 to 60 mph the motor is getting on the high end of its revs. If something jumps out at you, or a car starts to pull over into your lane and you try to hit the throttle to avoid it, you have nothing left. Also the weight between the 600 and 750 is almost unnoticeable. I personally had a suzuki boulevard 800 for my first bike and I loved it. It was two tone silver and looked stunning. I actually got more compliments with that bike then I do with my 2014 street glide special. I bought that bike brand new in the middle of winter (live in minnesota so there is no chance of riding) for under 6k, sticker was 5200 and tax an title brought it to just under 6k. Road it for 3 years and turned around and sold it for 4500.

Third-gear! this all comes down to a personal choice. While I do agree with you should wear a helmet, in Minnesota it isn't required, and I find myself personally not wearing mine. For the riders course it will require a helmet. DO NOT GO CHEAP! buy one that fits well. Talk with the sales rep at any motorcycle shop (any good shop) and they will be more then willing to take the time and make sure the helmet fits properly. Gloves-a must in Minnesota. You don't need the ones with all the "armor' in them, just some nice RIDING gloves will do. there is a big difference between riding gloves and driving leather gloves. Pants- sounds like you wear business causal, those are going to let the wind go right through them and it will get chilly if the weather is on the colder side. You could wear chaps, me personally I prefer to just ride in blue jeans. NEVER EVER shorts, let alone you look like a tool when riding in shorts, it offers no skin protection if you happen to fall, BUGS HURT when hitting your leg at high speed, and you would be amazing how much sand and small rocks are constantly flying at you. Boots-any leather boots will work, me personally use my work boots (machinist) and they work wonders. The big "hidden" reason to not wear shoes is the laces. Listen to me now about this. When you wear boots that go past the ankle the laces are UP on your foot/shin away from your shift leaver. My bike has a heal shifter and one time I was wearing just my regular shoes and my laces got wrapped around the shifter leaver. LUCKLY I found out before I came to a red light and tipped over, but it was SUPER dangerous trying to get that lace untangled. From that point forward I never took my bike out without wearing my boots, even if it was just to run to the gas station and back.

Fourth- Enjoy it, don't be so nervous that you find you are more worried about others or yourself that you just can't relax. When I am having a bad day, or crap happened at work, the minute I get on my bike I just forget about everything and start smiling again. Turn up the radio, set the curise control and just blast down the country road. I have come across some really really cool back roads by just driving around. Found this one hiddin spot where the road turned into a trail and I said "fuck it" and continued on down. Came to this amazing clearing on a lake that just looked directly west. Sat there for an hour watching the sun set. One of the best memories I have from riding.

fifth- STAY THE FUCK OUT OF THE GOD DAMN FUCKEN BAR WHEN YOU RIDE!!!!!! There is no reason to go bar hopping on rides.

Now this is all my personal experience and to offer a little background on my knowledge. Last summer I took a ride with my family, Me 31yr on my Street glide, my 60yr Father on his Honda shadow, my 62yr mother on HER OWN Honda shadow, and my 86yr grandpa on his Honda gold wing. I grew up with a family that rides motorcycles and enjoys them for what they are.Personally been riding for the past 8 and my parents and grandparents for the last 30.
    Last edited by opeth150; 2016-09-30 at 01:20 PM. Reason: grammer/spelling....it's still shit but better then what it was.
    Signature made by Gamelol-MMO-C

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What if I wanted to commute to work... I work in casual business and/or business.

Would you recommend commuting in this dress code? I see a lot of bike riders around me like that although I doubt it's the best thing.
    I'm pretty sure anything other than proper riding gear is going to shred about the same if you eat street anyway. Not ideal attire, but it's probably fine. I drove to an interview in nice dress clothes the other week and didn't feel all too vulnerable. It's easier to get dusty though, I suppose. I fully admit to not being Johnny-on-the-spot with wearing my jacket, but as bad as road rash is (I've seen it a couple times on friends and boy is there a fun story there) I'm generally much more concerned with keeping my brain intact.

I think I've only ever seen a guy in full suit on a bike once before. It was a very interesting day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I talked with my brothers regarding my newest adventure and he mentioned that he has done it before and absolutely loved it. Would even buy one if he wasn't married with 2 kids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by opeth150 View Post

fifth- STAY THE FUCK OUT OF THE GOD DAMN FUCKEN BAR WHEN YOU RIDE!!!!!! There is no reason to go bar hopping on rides.
    Alcohol wise, obviously. But myself & cronies bar hop at times & stick to soft drinks.
    Hell, if anyone I knew had alcohol & rode, I'd not go with them. Don't want to be scraping their carcass off of the roads.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Motorcycles are like so dangerous. I watched so many motorcycle accident videos last week. Seems like an unnecessary risk.
    They are not dangerous.
    The person riding them is danger to themselves if they aren't observant of what is going on around them (because other drivers will "not notice there was a bike there" or if they ride stupidly.

- - - Updated - - -

pretty much this. I have a suzuki c800 intruder, and it really does lack a bit of power but it is sooo comfortable and easy to ride.

- - - Updated - - -

Not about the US, but in the UK, for our tests, we are not allowed steel toe boots. I wouldn't recommend them any way, I find it difficult to "feel" the gears with them.
    When did that change?
    Is that just for the test?
    I used to ride with steelies on often (work boots & no set work place).

Deleted
    Firstly, get yourself some decent gear.
    I cringe any time I see some idiot, even if on a moped, just tootling about in shorts/t-shirt/trainers etc.
    Also, get a helmet.
    You may think you look stupid, but how stupid will you look with half a face?

P.S. A bug to the face at speed can sting like hell!

Practice somewhere like an industrial estate or similar. Also have someone with you who is a biker, if you can. Beats trying on main roads before you're even used to what the bike can do.
    Get something light'ish. There's every chance you may drop it & trying to lift any of the larger bikes solo isn't easy.
    Keep an eye on everything going on around you. I've had a few close calls over the years & it's always due to some idiot not paying attention or the usual "I didnt see/hear you" epidemic.

Overall, just take it easy & enjoy the ride.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post
    Alcohol wise, obviously. But myself & cronies bar hop at times & stick to soft drinks.
    Hell, if anyone I knew had alcohol & rode, I'd not go with them. Don't want to be scraping their carcass off of the roads.

- - - Updated - - -

They are not dangerous.
    The person riding them is danger to themselves if they aren't observant of what is going on around them (because other drivers will "not notice there was a bike there" or if they ride stupidly.

- - - Updated - - -

When did that change?
    Is that just for the test?
    I used to ride with steelies on often (work boots & no set work place).
    Just replying to my part about steel toes. Not sure when it changed. I did my test about 2 or 3 years ago and told if I wear them they would fail me. I do ride with them, but I prefer my leather boots because I can feel the gear better on my Suzuki.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smashorc View Post
    Junior doctors, the world over, politely ask that you take your two wheeled death mounts out at times other than peak hour. Or failing that you at least don't whine like a a fucking cry baby while your leathers are being cut off. If you weren't wearing them then they get to at least point at the flayed tissue "Dude be missing sommat!, guess what..." and you get a "sorta" pass... just don't whine
    .....what?

Deleted
    Just replying to my part about steel toes. Not sure when it changed. I did my test about 2 or 3 years ago and told if I wear them they would fail me. I do ride with them, but I prefer my leather boots because I can feel the gear better on my Suzuki.
    Yeah, it's easier to feel what you're changing. Makes sense during training/test.
    I just preferred boots on my feet instead of in a back pack hehe.

Good Morning MMOC,

Recently, I've started eyeing motorcycles and their visual appeal. The problem is... I know nothing about them.

I've never driven one, I don't know the different types or their names. I just know that I'd like to maybe feel the experience of driving one down an interstate just for hell of it. Not something I'd necessarily buy but maybe rent or something of the sorts.

Something like this, maybe?

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/si...?itok=Rw3-elBP

Let me know your thoughts and experiences!
    been riding motorcycles since i was about 13, safest bet is to get a dirtbike and just play around local dirt spots, street riding is alot more dangerous, plus if you can handle a dirtbike you will be able to handle just about anything else

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post
    Yeah, it's easier to feel what you're changing. Makes sense during training/test.
    I just preferred boots on my feet instead of in a back pack hehe.
    A lot of times I just wore sneakers, sometimes boots - but never heavy boots. Felt like it indeed makes shifting etc. much more of a pain.

Deleted
    It sounds like the tester was getting ahead of himself.

I found this which mentions wearing suitable clothing when taking a test.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...table-clothing

but then I also found this which makes it look like they don't want to be held accountable.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-driving-tests

I almost lost my left arm.

Was trying to fit in and bought one. Two weeks late I was in a hospital with surgeons trying to piece my arm back together.

Don't get one.

I know you're thinking you will be fine if you drive smart. Well I was driving 5 under the speed limit when I clipped the front corner of a truck that was riding the line.

It takes time to learn how to lean a bike