Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Commodore 64 Still Powering Auto Repair Shop in Poland

It's amazing that this thing is still running in an environment plagued with grease and dirt and oil.

Just because a gadget is technically obsolete doesn't mean it doesn't work. The latest example can be found in Gdansk, Poland, where a sharp Facebook user found an old Commodore 64 running a car repair shop.

The Commodore 64, first released in 1982, has been compared to the Ford Model T in that it was a the first computer within reach of average consumers. While an Apple II, for example, cost $2,638 and came with just 48K of RAM, the Commodore 64 cost a mere $595 while promising 64K RAM. Approximately 17 million Commodore 64s were sold, so you shouldn't be too surprised that a few are not only clinging to life but still in daily operation.

Despite the success of the 64, Commodore fell behind IBM and Apple in appealing to corporate clients. It's business offering, Amiga, was widely maligned and credited with bankrupting the company. Even to this day, though, Commodore has a few fans who are as hardcore as the car repair shop in Gdansk.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...4-repair-shop/
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    it powered my young teenage years.

That external disk drive, haha good times.

People really shouldn’t be that surprised at this, older tech was more apt to be built to last. My uncle has a fridge from the 50s that runs better than any modern one and doesn’t show any sign of slowing down.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post

People really shouldn’t be that surprised at this, older tech was more apt to be built to last. My uncle has a fridge from the 50s that runs better than any modern one and doesn’t show any sign of slowing down.

i love these replies.

If it works why fix it?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

That style of keyboard is amazing, by the way. I like the mechanical click and the longer throw. Modern keyboards actually hurt my fingers.

- - - Updated - - -

I still have a stand mixer from the 70s, slow cooker, and blender as well. Mother gave them to me when I moved out the first time, I think they were wedding gifts. Meanwhile she's gone through at least three of each that keep breaking. Built to last, indeed.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Not surprising considering most if the banking in the USA is handled on mainframes from like the 70's.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Not surprising considering most if the banking in the USA is handled on mainframes from like the 70's.
    last I heard most ATMS around the country are still running windows xp
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    it powered my young teenage years.
    Mine as well. The commodore 64 along with the 5.25" disc drive and a monitor was my first substantial purchase. A lot of papers delivered and a lot of drive ways shoveled to get there.

Deleted
    Because nostalgia

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a Commodore 64C model though.
    They've replaced the original ones in 1987, by using upgraded chips and a C=128 chassis.
    It made them fall more in line with the Amiga series too.

It doesn't surprise me a bit that a Commodore computer still does it's duty.
    It was/is to date hands down the best personal computer hardware on the market.
    I still wonder where we could be today, had the company not flat out crashed itself due to stupid corporate decisions.
    While Commodore was around, they were the benchmark for anything graphics and audio.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    They don't have a choice because the 1970s mainframe stuff is actually BETTER than modern computing. All the modern stuff is tailored to provide a premium GUI. They LOOK pretty. But they are actually VERY slow (compared to 1970s mainframes) when handling massive amounts of data. Microsoft Windows is truly a crap program. It takes so long for Windows to process some commands but you don't notice it if you are working with 250k items. But start working with 2 million data structures and most companies switch back to 1970s mainframes. I have personal experience in doing this. We were instructed to never use the modern windows GUI at work and when I tried, it would just gag on all the data. Then I switched to the mainframe and it worked instantly.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    They don't have a choice because the 1970s mainframe stuff is actually BETTER than modern computing. All the modern stuff is tailored to provide a premium GUI. They LOOK pretty. But they are actually VERY slow (compared to 1970s mainframes) when handling massive amounts of data. Microsoft Windows is truly a crap program. It takes so long for Windows to process some commands but you don't notice it if you are working with 250k items. But start working with 2 million data structures and most companies switch back to 1970s mainframes. I have personal experience in doing this. We were instructed to never use the modern windows GUI at work and when I tried, it would just gag on all the data. Then I switched to the mainframe and it worked instantly.
    I understand why they do it, but they are going to run into serious problems in the future because they are so fucking retarded to use.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

15+ Year Old Account
    I still have my Last Ninja 1 & 2 on cassette even though I have thrown away my C64 (after it held a wardrove upright as a teen)
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    computers and tvs back then were made to last and endure, not the flimsy pieces of delicate garbage they have now that collapses at the first fart tremor that shakes the table.
    #boycottchina

...isn't that a C-128? Doesn't look like a C-64 to me. =/

Deleted
    The cassette modules had a habit of breaking which was one of the downsides compared to the Spectrums where you could use any cassette player to load programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    I still have my Last Ninja 1 & 2 on cassette even though I have thrown away my C64 (after it held a wardrove upright as a teen)
    My brother and I were big Commodore fans. We had the predecessor, VC20, the C64 and the Amiga. One time the family moved and we put the older computers in front of the door to be put into the truck, while the Amiga was already safely stored. Our parents decided that it was "just old junk" and trashed them, which we only noticed in the new house.

A little part of us died that day.

The Amiga 500 with two CPUs, a box full of disks and all the hardware (an extra 68020 CPU, external HDD, peripheral stuff) rests safely on a shelf behind me. Nobody is allowed to touch it until I turn it on again sometime in the future.

I think the only trouble I might have is the video connector. I doubt many TV sets still can handle the coaxial antenna cables. I'll have to look for a more long term solution for that eventually...
    Last edited by Slant; 2016-10-04 at 11:57 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Arthur Dayne View Post
    Because nostalgia

is that Moj Mirko magazine

Planned obsolescence wasn't a thing back then.