Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Taking an Online exam for someone else

so, a person has bugging me to take his online accounting exam for him so that he could get a better grade and he is willing to pay me.
    His professor is the only one who uses online exams. i want to make a complaint to the accounting coordinator who also used to be my accounting professor about this situation. everyone else, regardless of the professor, takes exams in class and those exams are made by this coordinator. in the case of this online exam, anyone can cheat by paying an accounting tutor to take the exam for them (sort of like paying wintraders to boost your rating in rbgs in wow)
    i also feel like my hard earned grade on this course is devalued by an occasion like this.
    what should i do?

A) Your post leads me to believe you already know what you should do.

B) Do you really need to consult mmo-c with this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell him no if you have a problem with this. Don't be a rat, no one likes a rat.
    "The Russians can't beat us at anything--they can't even feed themselves." Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    A) Your post leads me to believe you already know what you should do.

B) Do you really need to consult mmo-c with this?
    It's more like this:

"I'm too scared to do the right thing and need emotional support from strangers I'll never meet in person"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyenut88 View Post
    Tell him no if you have a problem with this. Don't be a rat, no one likes a rat.
    criminals are worse.

You should probably seek validation from a third party on the decision you fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    criminals are worse.
    Cheating on a college exam is hardly a criminal act. I've done it for pay in the past. Easiest $20 of my life

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyenut88 View Post
    i already said no but i'm wondering if i should report.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elian View Post
    You should.

If not, that means people that cheat can get away with it, which is not what you want, right?

People say they hate rats, but on the other hand they want everything and everyone to go by rules. That means, people that doesn't follow rules, must be reported, they are not exactly going to just hand themselves in.

Report him but prepare that he won't be your friend, but, who want a friend like that anyway?

10+ Year Old Account

You told him no, just leave it at that and move on.
    "The Russians can't beat us at anything--they can't even feed themselves." Woody Hayes

10+ Year Old Account
    It's cheating, and it's unethical. If you're looking to become a member of a professional association, something like this could bar you for life. Both for writing the exam, OR for paying someone to do so for you.

You should take his money and then "accidentally" fail the exam.

I'd just tell him no and move on. Reporting seems like a dick move, people like this tend to get caught up in what they're doing in the end anyway. He shouldn't be cheating but how bad are you going to feel if this guy gets expelled from school, owes a bunch of tuition if his financial aid is returned (which can happen due to title IV policy in the US), etc?

I don't know if this guy has a good "reason" or not (no reason to cheat is a good one, in my opinion) but let's be honest, schools do a piss poor job of giving students extensions when they're legitimately sick or have some sort of crisis comes up that impacts schooling.

Tell him how you feel about cheating if you want, and that another student might have ended up reporting him (and that for most schools, cheating of this sort leads to forcible institutional withdrawal, and owing a bunch of money for the term if he's on financial aid). That should be enough for him to not to try to cheat again.

If you know he's sick or has a learning disability, encourage him to talk to his prof about an extension and/or get a doctor's note, as it is required by law for student disabilities to be accommodated for in a classroom setting (this includes extensions for schoolwork if necessary). If the teacher won't accept it, he should go over the instructor's head and talk to someone else at the university.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I'd just tell him no and move on. Reporting seems like a dick move, people like this tend to get caught up in what they're doing in the end anyway. He shouldn't be cheating but how bad are you going to feel if this guy gets expelled from school, owes a bunch of tuition if his financial aid is returned (which can happen due to title IV policy in the US), etc?
    i do not want to get this person in trouble but get his professor in trouble for enabling such a behavior of letting students take online exams while every other professors have exams in class.

i do not want to get this person in trouble but get his professor in trouble for enabling such a behavior of letting students take online exams while every other professors have exams in class.
    I'd definitely talk to an administrator or department head then (assuming this professor is not a department head), letting that person know that this sort of behavior is going on. This can be done without naming names.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you want to get the professor in "trouble" because his student is trying to cheat? That's ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure it violates the school's honor code. I'd say report his request and move on.

If you dislike the way the professor handles exams, write a complaint about him as well.
    Last edited by May90; 2016-10-03 at 11:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

So you want to sue the beer manufacturer because a person drove drunk.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't want to get the cheater in trouble, but you want to get the professor in trouble for at best, trusting his students not to cheat, or at worst, being lazy...

That makes no sense.

i dont think you should care because technically even if they graduate they wont be able to do the work if they keep cheating so. They are digging their own hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    So you want to get the professor in "trouble" because his student is trying to cheat? That's ridiculous.
    well, who would have thought that people wouldn't cheat if there was an exam out in the open like that...