Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Snitches get stitches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elian View Post
    well, who would have thought that people wouldn't cheat if there was an exam out in the open like that...
    People will try and cheat in any kind of exam. You punish the cheaters for cheating, not the professor for failing the impossible task of making a cheat-proof exam.

10+ Year Old Account
    it is illegal and i am of the mindset there should be jailtime for cheaters.
    Hi

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by runique View Post
    Snitches get stitches

People stop staying this when they hit puberty.

I've had classes with online exams.. I always feel creepy when I question myself... "is it okay to use the internet or my textbook?" But I never want to ask. It feels dirty... but it seems like its almost encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    People will try and cheat in any kind of exam. You punish the cheaters for cheating, not the professor for failing the impossible task of making a cheat-proof exam.
    Well for that reason exactly the prof isn't exactly going to get in trouble, ha. At most there'll be a department meeting about it..."hey should we change our exam policy?" etc.

I think students should feel comfortable talking to administrators and other department personnel about a professor, they might tell a student to go talk to the professor directly before going over his/her head but if the student genuinely doesn't feel comfortable discussing a subject with their prof then I don't see the harm in going elsewhere.

Don't think the OP is going to start a revolt regarding exam policies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I've had classes with online exams.. I always feel creepy when I question myself... "is it okay to use the internet or my textbook?" But I never want to ask. It feels dirty... but it seems like its almost encouraged.
    In my experience, online exams are usually open book/open note but not usually open collaboration with other students. In any case, you shouldn't feel bad about asking.

I'd hope that professors aren't so naive to think students given online exams won't succumb to the temptation of the internet resources. That's not to say it's right to cheat if a professor's intentions are for you to test yourself legitimately. But, that's just the reality.

I took a hybrid IT course once and the night before the exam we played a game in lecture where we divided into teams and quizzed one another over the material. We could use the powerpoints, textbook or whatever relevant. He said he was going to give 5 points to all people on the winning team, but after it was over he gave everyone 5 points and told us the reason for making us play is that while it's important to know things, it's more important to know where to look when you don't. He wasn't blind to the fact people were going to use every external source they could while taking on online exam.

Anyway, I personally wouldn't even entertain the notion of outright cheating for anyone. There's no benefit to you or the person for whom you are cheating. I understand people get in a bind, forget, can't study as much as they want/need so reporting him is a mean-spirited move, I feel, even though I am unaware of his intentions. But, it's their problem, not anyone else's. Bomb it, move on and do better next time. I have no clue why people spend oodles of money on college to not take it seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a problem. I had a few "take home" exams, and it was just a matter of asking the professor what we are allowed to use. Some take home exams I had allowed the usage of anything, while others were restricted to only class notes or class notes + approved books.

Personally, I found it easy not to cheat: when the professor trusts you like this, you feel bad even considering violating the rules. Might be harder for some people though.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

i already said no but i'm wondering if i should report.
    If you value the integrity of your grade, yes you should. You didn't cheat nor compromise to get your grade, why would you allow anyone else to insult you that way? A responsible adult informs the administrators and lets the system work. An irresponsible juvenile does not. There is no honor in cheating. There is, however, honor in doing the right thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    It's not a problem. I had a few "take home" exams, and it was just a matter of asking the professor what we are allowed to use. Some take home exams I had allowed the usage of anything, while others were restricted to only class notes or class notes + approved books.

Personally, I found it easy not to cheat: when the professor trusts you like this, you feel bad even considering violating the rules. Might be harder for some people though.
    Is it common to have take home/online exams?

I only ever had one class with online exams and it was an actual online general education course I had to take my freshman year... And even those exams you couldn't really cheat since they were almost exclusively devoted to "did you read the required books, did you understand the required books...?" And they were timed...

just take the money and answer everything single question the same .... " i paid someone to take this exam"...

that should make things interesting.... be wary of repercussions

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post

I only ever had one class with online exams and it was an actual online general education course I had to take my freshman year... And even those exams you couldn't really cheat since they were almost exclusively devoted to "did you read the required books, did you understand the required books...?" And they were timed...
    Depends on the program, I guess. I've had a few take home exams on my PhD program, where the university cares much more about you doing research than getting proper grades and learning the material, so the possibility of cheating doesn't scare anyone much. I imagine it would be quite different for undergrads, where there is real competition for grades and such.

One of the take home exams I had, on Classical Mechanics, allowed using any sources at all, and even conversing with other students (as long as you talk about general methods with them and do not copy each other's equations). To compensate, the problems themselves were very tough, and you really needed to understand the subject well to even attempt them with all available sources. Not much use from those sources if you don't know how to apply them in practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by dusselldorf View Post
    If you value the integrity of your grade, yes you should. You didn't cheat nor compromise to get your grade, why would you allow anyone else to insult you that way? A responsible adult informs the administrators and lets the system work. An irresponsible juvenile does not. There is no honor in cheating. There is, however, honor in doing the right thing.
    I agree that people should act with their conscience but I guess I like to err on the side of mercy. It's up to the OP as to what he thinks the best course of action is, in any case.

I dunno, how much are they offering to pay you?

Deleted
    It comes down to if you're looking to improve the system or if you just want to police the situation to feel good about yourself. If you want actual change you bring it up with school authority and demand they deal with the actual exploit, and if they deem it necessary the person responsible for creating it.

There are a million people better and smarter than you so if you have an advantage accessible to you and don't take it then you're an idiot. An honest idiot, but an idiot nonetheless. So you can't really blame people for trying to get themselves ahead when an opportunity presents itself. This is normal human nature, the reason we're #1 superstar species on this planet. Can't directly change that by handing out wrist slaps. But you can work towards changing the environment people operate in and as such indirectly change their behavior. If there is no cheat then there are no cheaters. Simple as that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    It's not that uncommon at all. They're usually open-book, so you're free to use whatever research material or notes as you'd like.

i do not want to get this person in trouble but get his professor in trouble for enabling such a behavior of letting students take online exams while every other professors have exams in class.
    If your school doesn't have a policy against online exams, you can't "get (your prof) in trouble" for offering them. Also, your sense of who's responsible here is really, really skewed. The prof is responsible because a student wants to cheat on their exam? ALL THE WATS

so, a person has bugging me to take his online accounting exam for him so that he could get a better grade and he is willing to pay me.
    His professor is the only one who uses online exams. i want to make a complaint to the accounting coordinator who also used to be my accounting professor about this situation. everyone else, regardless of the professor, takes exams in class and those exams are made by this coordinator. in the case of this online exam, anyone can cheat by paying an accounting tutor to take the exam for them (sort of like paying wintraders to boost your rating in rbgs in wow)
    i also feel like my hard earned grade on this course is devalued by an occasion like this.
    what should i do?
    The thing is reporting it won't have any effect. The reason being is more campuses are offering more and more online classes. The perk of the online class is that you don't need to attend anything on campus for the class. This fits a lot of people's schedule a lot easier.

As you said though people can pay others to take the course/test for them and there's nothing you can do.

10+ Year Old Account
    My question is how much are they offering? Lol A friend offered to take an entire online course for me at $500 and not going to lie I did give it more than a minute of consideration I was also offered to write for a girls english composition course but I avoided that whole mess.

But really just agree, take the money, and fail the test. What's this person going to do? Tell the school that you ripped them off when you failed to cheat for them? Whoever they are they really didn't think this through

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you take it, it means you're easy to bribe. If he gets found out, both of you are fucked. Let them waste their school/aid on their own terms.

Reporting them depends on why they wanted to cheat in the first place. If you know the reason, it should be obvious on whether to report it or tell them to talk to their professor about moving back the exam or extending it for them.