Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Muadiib View Post
    None of the mainstream news outlets are trustworthy in most countries, surely people should know that by now.
    When I was young, it was common for people to say, "Don't believe everything you read in the papers". Now have people who literally believe 100% of what one source says, and 0% of what another source says. Mankind is not evolving, it is devolving, like in the movie Idiocracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Provenance View Post
    Neither of those links work : /

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Neither of those links work : /
    So they dont. Lol. Oops! Try those.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/23...otte-riot.html
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/21/us/cha...lice-shooting/

Working now : )

10+ Year Old Account
    Working now : )
    I think what I did was copy the shortened link from my previous post instead of linking the real link and thats what broke them. Thanks for catching that! (:

Am I the only one who is having problems making it past the fact that Fox has a "BIAS ALERT" section?

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    When I was young, it was common for people to say, "Don't believe everything you read in the papers". Now have people who literally believe 100% of what one source says, and 0% of what another source says. Mankind is not evolving, it is devolving, like in the movie Idiocracy.
    Yeah, and when the internet was starting to grow I thought "yay a place where people will finally learn the truth" There is so much miss truth out there, people just automatically believe it. I think most people get their news from a meme these days....

9gag, that's where I get my facts.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Yeah, and when the internet was starting to grow I thought "yay a place where people will finally learn the truth" There is so much miss truth out there, people just automatically believe it. I think most people get their news from a meme these days....

9gag, that's where I get my facts.
    Memes and the comedy shows. This is what intellectualism in America has become.

I mean, when you have serious news commentators debating the election impact of Saturday Night Live skits, you know we are in trouble.

I mean, when you have serious news commentators debating the election impact of Saturday Night Live skits, you know we are in trouble.
    Quoted for Truth...

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one who is having problems making it past the fact that Fox has a "BIAS ALERT" section?
    No, I'm taking what Fox says with a grain of salt.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted

i think its more telling when you have an actual presidential candidate talking about pepe the frog as a threat, and the other one posting pictures of themselves as pepe on twitter...

Honestly, if those comedy shows didn't do a better job of presenting the news and providing analysis than dedicated news channels did that wouldn't be the case.

Hell, around a decade ago there was the study that found that viewers of the Daily Show/Colbert Report were more informed and educated on news-related topics than folks watching any one of the actual news channels.

Why? I mean, SNL is much, much less influential than it used to be, but why is it bad that it would have an impact? Pop culture matters in elections, and pop culture shows (including SNL) can be incredibly influential in shaping peoples impressions of the candidates.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feel The Power View Post
    This is why I only trust the Daily Mail for my news. Plus, they'll tell you what the person who got shot was wearing and where to buy the outfit online.
    This comment is pure gold.

Honestly, if those comedy shows didn't do a better job of presenting the news and providing analysis than dedicated news channels did that wouldn't be the case.

Hell, around a decade ago there was the study that found that viewers of the Daily Show/Colbert Report were more informed and educated on news-related topics than folks watching any one of the actual news channels.

Why? I mean, SNL is much, much less influential than it used to be, but why is it bad that it would have an impact? Pop culture matters in elections, and pop culture shows (including SNL) can be incredibly influential in shaping peoples impressions of the candidates.
    I think that is more a factor of you have to be informed to find The Daily Show/Colbert Report funny. If you don't get the jokes, you probably don't tune in as much.

It's bad because it's an admission that some voters will literally only make their decision based on SNL, and what is said on other comedy shows. Also, there are obviously far less funny conservatives, so you are moving the country one direction based on humor. That seems like a very non-intellectual way of doing things as a nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    No, I'm taking what Fox says with a grain of salt.
    Fair enough, you should always question any news source.

http://bluelivesmatter.blue/cnn-edited-video-charlotte/

I think that is more a factor of you have to be informed to find The Daily Show/Colbert Report funny. If you don't get the jokes, you probably don't tune in as much.
    In part, sure. But also, those shows did (I haven't watched the Trevor Noah version in a long time so not sure if it still does) a fantastic job of covering the news in a way that made it funny, interesting, and relevant. That they actually broke things down pretty plainly rather than relying on talking heads from one side or another to put their spin on it.

It's bad because it's an admission that some voters will literally only make their decision based on SNL, and what is said on other comedy shows.
    SNL pushes personality, which is a huge factor for a lot of people in their decision on who to vote for. Personality/likability is as important, if not moreso, than policy for a lot of folks.

That's more an issue with an electorate that places more importance on, "I'd like to have a drink with them so they've got my vote!" than "They have sound fiscal, trade, and foreign policy that's been analyzed by experts in all fields and found to be a step in the right direction so they've got my vote!"

Also, there are obviously far less funny conservatives, so you are moving the country one direction based on humor.
    Why aren't there more funny conservatives? I ask semi-seriously, because I think it's a far more complex (and potentially interesting) topic that deals with demographic shifts and changing views on social issues in addition to reflections of the current left/right ideologies.

That seems like a very non-intellectual way of doing things as a nation.
    Well, the GOP has been pushing anti-intellectualism for around a decade or so now, to the point where they're not officially the part of "Feels over reals", so there's that : /

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post
    wag the dog is a good movie !
    It was...... have have the DVD here somewhere.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    A little off-topic, but the words of the wife are disturbing:

The video in question was taken by Scott’s widow, Rakeyia Scott. In it, she can be heard saying, “He has no weapon.”
    I don't know the full story, but logically, either:

(a) she was telling the truth and the police have killed a man, then planted a gun.
    or:
    (b) she was not telling the truth, potentially leading the police vulnerable to being gunned down themselves.

Either possibility seems disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    A little off-topic, but the words of the wife are disturbing:

I don't know the full story, but logically, either:

(a) she was telling the truth and the police have killed a man, then planted a gun.
    or:
    (b) she was not telling the truth, potentially leading the police vulnerable to being gunned down themselves.

Either possibility seems disturbing.
    Or...

(c) she didn't think he had a weapon and was concerned for the safety of her husband

An outcome where there isn't a conspiracy by police of malice on the part of the widow.

Blue Lives Matter is a group? That's very hypocritical. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of cops being killed by civilians are proportionate to civilians being killed by cops.