Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    I really missed it when classes were unique. Going into a raid like Karazhan meant that a number of the encounters changed depending on whether I had a mage, a priest, or a hunter or some combination thereof. Shaman totems made a difference. A Pally tank was different than a Warrior tank or a Bear tank. You could succeed with any combination, and it made the game far more interesting figuring out how to use the very different classes as opposed to today's concept of just bring 2 tanks, 3 heals, and 5+ dps and every encounter playing out exactly the same.

I miss the little things that made WoW an MMORPG. Things like different arrows, components for some spells, quests for class mounts, etc. Gathering never really bothered me because it led to getting something of interest...not just gold to buy equipment on the AH. You would run into the opposing faction here and there, and sometimes battles would ensue. Before the cross-realm changes, you would many times see the same person you ran into weeks or months ago. The world felt so much more alive.

... times when leveling actually felt rewarding.

... that special feeling tanking Karazhan as a Pally.

I miss Backlash ;_; as a destro lock.

I miss weapons.
    I miss my disc priest.
    I miss hard work for a imba profession reward.
    I miss talking party members.
    I miss friendly and polite players.

Weapon skill rating and punching the statue thingies in Blasted Lands to get unarmed up. Wait, you said miss...
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

I miss when WoW's storyline explored some of the many unfinished ideas introduced by WC3.

I also miss raids and dungeons which recreated iconic RTS missions such as Mount Hyjal or Culling of Stratholme.

Deleted
    I think the main issue with arrows for instance was that quivers required a bag slot.

I miss reagents and arrows and I reckon if they treated them like currency where it doesn't take up bagspace that could work. Maybe.

It's hard to say honestly, many players have grown used to the convinience, just look at the whole flying discussion.

Aside from that I kinda miss when WoW was more of a traditional fantasy rpg, now we have cars, oil rigs, poolparty animals and whatnot.

I miss decent guilds, not in terms of skill level but social activity, the ones that spam invite everyone are all pretty shitty.

That being said I still love the game a lot and Legion is probably my favourite expansion ever.
    Last edited by mmocb78b2e29a3; 2016-10-04 at 11:59 AM.

Those automatic flight paths were a god send when leveling new characters. You level too fast to pick up most anything but what's current now, and the moment you have to go back to anything old now, it's pure hell if you didn't play through that particular content when it was new, or when those were a thing.

I bet it's going to be really annoying if you're new and ever wanna go back to anything in WoD, as you can't easily get that expansion's flying now, and it's certainly not worth grinding out to get it. Legion's gonna probably have the same problem, too, at it's EOL

Quote Originally Posted by snaek View Post
    I miss enhancement shamans using two-handers. It just felt way better whacking off windfury procs with a massive two-hander. Part of it was probably that WF procced off itself - which really had to go, I'll admit - but I'd still like the option to use two-handers as enhance.
    This! I remember the day DW was patched in for Shamans and I hated it. It felt SO off. The appeal of playing Enhancement for me was for the huge WF crit procs that would just annhilate everything. I lived for that. Now it's a shadow of it's former self.

I am levelling my enhancement now, and it is fun, but, it's not 2h WF proc fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    I miss when WoW's storyline explored some of the many unfinished ideas introduced by WC3.

I also miss raids and dungeons which recreated iconic RTS missions such as Mount Hyjal or Culling of Stratholme.
    At this point they'd need to make a WC4. They exhausted a lot of the story lines in WoW and it would be a great platform to tell more of the old gods and void lords vs the pantheon story.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    I miss my hunter. I don't know what this abomination is that is called a hunter now.
    same here, im a hunter main since vanilla, but i just cant get into the class in legion, marksman just feels so un-fun to play and beast mastery has been boring for the last few expansions :\ survival is pretty fun, but doesnt feel like a hunter

Deleted
    Holy Light spam in WoTLK with the glyph and mana cost reduction relic. It was pretty much god mode.

Also HotW + Tranquility on my Balance Druid.

I miss my hunter. I don't know what this abomination is that is called a hunter now.
    This. So. Much. This.

Warlock tank.
    Completed PG Gold as Demo back in MoP. Took me hours to get right. Most fun I've had in years and massive sense of achievement when I finally did it.
    Kept thinking i'm 100% rerolling if they make this a 4th spec.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion Fan View Post
    2. Automatic Flight Paths. As you leveled, the next set of FPs automatically unlocked, and you could then fly to the new quest hub, rather than ride there. For me, at least, I was more encouraged to quest in the open world, versus grinding dungeons (of which I am not a fan). They called it a bug and fixed it (read that as removed). I would love to do like we did with WoD, which is as we are needed in a new location, we are flown there and can learn the FP. Seems like a great plan for getting someone into the zone at least. Just like in Legion where the first flight takes you to the start of the quest hub for the zone.
    Removing this, especially claiming it was a bug, was absolute madness. Not having it forces people who want to level up "the real way", i.e. by playing the game, not by paying Blizzard money (or using odd events like the invasion), to pick EITHER questing OR dungeons to level with, because even doing a few dungeons can turn a zone's quests green/grey, and if you do a lot of dungeons (like, say 5+ - which isn't really a lot but...) you could be so far ahead that all the appropriate zones are miles away. So if you try to trudge to them on foot, you'll take forever - and if you're queuing for dungeons at the same time, you'll probably get in several groups on the way - by which time the zone will have gone green/grey.

Even if you somehow get to the zone quickly, doing dungeons again will mean you outlevel it fairly soon, and then you're back to the same situation and have to move on, but have no FPs to do it quickly...

I leveled up during the (lengthy) period where this "bug" was in play and it was actually fun to play WoW leveling! You could choose what to do!

Conspiracy-theorist/Tin-Foil-Hat-types may well suggest Blizzard took this out so they could promote paid boosts and RAF (which also effectively pays Blizzard, albeit less than paid boosts), but I don't think so myself. I think they just made a dumb mistake.

As you say, a very simple fix would be to have quests to call you to zones which fly you there. I suspect nothing will change here this expansion, though - maybe next.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    Aside from that I kinda miss when WoW was more of a traditional fantasy rpg, now we have cars, oil rigs, poolparty animals and whatnot.
    With respect, WoW was never much of a "traditional fantasy RPG". It was always a wild and wacky steampunk-sci-fi-fantasy RPG. Right from release. From WC2, in fact, I would argue (WC3 continued the trends).

I mean, Gnomes and Gnomeregan were in at release. As were Goblins and their shenanigans (albeit not as PCs). Sci-fi stuff was there from the get-go with Uldaman and so on (which even had 20th-century-style archaeological digs in it!). Guns were in the game from the get-go. Gyrocopters and tanks date to Warcraft 3 (and WC3 also had steamships and so on).

TBC brought us literal spaceships and space aliens, magitech everywhere, and tons of very NON-traditional fantasy in Outlands.

It's a got a bit sillier, sure, and I think the Cataclysm-era stuff took it a little too far in a direction it's never been able to step back from. But real standard trad fantasy? Nah. Not since WC1.

I'd love to mock this and I love Survival Hunter (it should always have been like that), but bloody hell, BM and MM are weird strange things that do not feel at all Hunter-ish to me, and I played a Hunter for 50% of TBC and Cata. I don't think that's great, and I do miss a more Hunter-ish Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    I'd love to mock this and I love Survival Hunter (it should always have been like that), but bloody hell, BM and MM are weird strange things that do not feel at all Hunter-ish to me, and I played a Hunter for 50% of TBC and Cata. I don't think that's great, and I do miss a more Hunter-ish Hunter.
    Tbh I think SV should've been the new BM, merging them together, that would've been awesome. I like that SV gets more traps, which makes sense, so yeah.

What hunters are now is just...awful. SV is fun, I'll admit that, but it isn't worth that... It's so far behind everything else, and there are more fun melee specs. It's a real shame... MM is just boring old turret, I don't know why people like it, but whatever. BM makes me want to murder whoever thought it'd be a good idea to butcher it like they did.

- Totems (grounding, tremor, mana, cleansing, resistance, comp specific, etc.)
    - Earth Shield
    - 2hand enhance
    - Mage decurse
    - Other class/spec dispells that got pruned
    - Chain mana potting
    - Old Azeroth

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    With respect, WoW was never much of a "traditional fantasy RPG". It was always a wild and wacky steampunk-sci-fi-fantasy RPG. Right from release. From WC2, in fact, I would argue (WC3 continued the trends).

I mean, Gnomes and Gnomeregan were in at release. As were Goblins and their shenanigans (albeit not as PCs). Sci-fi stuff was there from the get-go with Uldaman and so on (which even had 20th-century-style archaeological digs in it!). Guns were in the game from the get-go. Gyrocopters and tanks date to Warcraft 3 (and WC3 also had steamships and so on).

TBC brought us literal spaceships and space aliens, magitech everywhere, and tons of very NON-traditional fantasy in Outlands.

It's a got a bit sillier, sure, and I think the Cataclysm-era stuff took it a little too far in a direction it's never been able to step back from. But real standard trad fantasy? Nah. Not since WC1
    I know Warcraft was never tradiotnal fantasy, that's why I said I miss when it was MORE of a traditional fantasy game, not A traditional fantasy game.

I don't mind a lot of the unconventional stuff like Legion spaceships, but Indiana Jones in Uldum and Rambo in Redridge Mountains, literally Plants Vs Zombies in Hillsbrad, Kung Fu pandas ( Yes I know they're in the lore damn it, and yes, I know they came before the movie ) swimming pools, cars, trikes? Come on now, that's just stupid.

I mean goblins literally have grass mats and billboards with their own version of Coca Cola on them, how fucking dumb is that? Blizzard has butcheref goblins, they used to just be crazy engineers who were much more reckless than their gnomish counterparts, now they're a fucking joke.
    Last edited by mmocb78b2e29a3; 2016-10-04 at 06:02 PM.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    I don't mind a lot of the unconventional stuff like Legion spaceships, but Indiana Jones in Uldum and Rambo in Redridge Mountains, literally Plants Vs Zombies in Hillsbrad, Kung Fu pandas ( Yes I know they're in the lore damn it, and yes, I know they came before the movie ) swimming pools, cars, trikes? Come on now, that's just stupid.

I mean goblins literally have grass mats and billboards with their own version of Coca Cola on them, how fucking dumb is that? Blizzard has butcheref goblins, they used to just be crazy engineers who were much more reckless than their gnomish counterparts, now they're a fucking joke.
    I don't disagree that that stuff is dumb (Pandas are borderline - in actual MoP they seem less dumb than out of it). But I think the problem is that it's really dumb, not that it's "non-traditional". The problem is just tons of mindless, lazy pop-culture bullshit that is really only there because no-one wanted to try very hard, and just fell back on lazy tropes.

It's pretty much all from the same period of WoW, too - Cataclysm. I think literally everything you name except Pandas is from then (and they're not from much later). I would say that was the absolute low-point for Blizzard's writing in WoW. Uldum's Indiana Jones deal is just horrifyingly bad. They basically just re-wrote the movie as the zone, in the dumbest way possible, losing all the charm and everything that was cool in the process, and completely de-protagonizing the player.

Static item drops with no RNG elements for secondary stats and iLvls. Gearing under this new RNG heavy regime is just so uninteresting and every piece of gear is anonymous and faceless.

15+ Year Old Account
    I miss what got me into the whole MMORPG gaming. The reason why I actually got into WoW is Lineage 2. That game was huge grind! Pretty much revolved about contastantly killing mobs while you're online (or killing players, it was free for all open world pvp). But all the cool drops made grinding fun in Lineage 2.
    I switched to WoW because it was few steps easier. But it was still a big grind. It took me over a month to get to lvl 60.
    I remember my warrior, miner/blacksmith. I would mine for days and smelt and create stuff. Time when me and my friend farmbed basilisk for hours in some cave so we can afford to buy some weapon for me from AH. Or cloth in Tyr's Hand.
    Or how she would ALWAYS chain lightning damn alliance players because she hated the opposite faction. Who later would team up and gang up on us (and I sucked at PvP).
    Then TBC came and WoW because a lot more casual.