Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well, it depends on how much you fiddle with your PC, but typically consoles are much faster to get straight into game from offline status than a PC, or even a laptop, and they don't require any mouse clicking in between which is what a PC typically does require. Power on, grab the pad, jump on the couch and go.

There's also no need to install or reinstall an operating system, and even game installs and updates are somewhat simplistic on a console.

Consoles are also compact and quiet as opposed to a tower, and fit comfortably near a TV in your living room, although you could of course argue for a laptop or some custom build here.

Still, plenty of console exclusives out there you can't play on the PC without breaking the law.

In any case, no need to fight the "PC vs console" -war. Just own both and be happy.
    None of this is you couldn't do on a PC but can only do on a console. Its a not been implemented yet. Picking at straws maybe but you could do all of the above on either.

You really are suggesting that boot up time and into a game is the determining factor here?

Nothing you suggest couldn't be done on a PC or a console. Yeah ok in the current state. But if someone wanted to you still could....

Your argument is like saying I can't do something on my Intel CPU that I can on my AMD CPU boxes. Or a MAC vs PC.

- - - Updated - - -

This was asked already.
    And your argument is silly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    None of this is you couldn't do on a PC but can only do on a console.
    So you can walk into a general store, buy a PC in a box, and you'll never have to use a mouse or a keyboard with it a single time, and you'll never have to go through a typical PC installation process for any kind of software on it, ever?

Because that's what you can do on a console.

You really are suggesting that boot up time and into a game is the determining factor here?
    I take it you're not a big console user.

Nothing you suggest couldn't be done on a PC or a console.
    I've mentioned several genres of games that do not exist for the console, and of course there's a million non-game things you can't do on a console, either at all, or as comfortably as you can on a PC. I've also pointed out several things where a console is much more comfortable. Also, as I said before, console exclusives do not exist for the PC, unless you start breaking the law somehow.

And your argument is silly.
    Nah, but you're getting really, really defensive when there's nothing to be defensive about, and I originally said I don't understand why people couldn't just own both a PC and a console.

Deleted
    Well to each their own, and as others pointed out you can just own both and get whatever you want out of both paths.

I own a high-end pc for my day-to-day gaming and a Wii-U for fun couch-coop games (mario party/kart, pikmin).
    The reason for the Wii-U is that it seems to offer games that are more fun for groups of people in the same room, and the motion controls/2nd screen give something extra that PC just doesn't really have.

That said, I would never see myself owning a PS/Xbox. My most recent experience with a PS4 for example was a friend trying to play SW:Battlefront/Fallout 4/COD, and noticed a few things:
    • I was shocked that it had a very lenghty installation time("just sit down, insert disc and play")
    • The loading times while playing were ridiculous(I've owned SSD's for quite a while now so maybe I'm just spoiled.)
    • Paying for internet acces in games is something I just can't wrap my head around (especially when during a COD match it turned out it was players hosting the matches).
    • Now I'm sure this is a personal thing, but playing shooters with a stick seems counter-intuitive. (The ability to choose between kb/mouse and controller is just better than not having said choice)

And then there's the quality difference as well, sub 1080p gameplay struggling to reach 30fps seems such a thing of the past.

Finally, like others pointed out here as well, there's just nothing a console can do that a PC can't.
    I can see no reason to buy a console over a PC other than developer-induced exclusives (which is not a hardware limitation).

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    One can have a console and a PC. There is no need to choose and eliminate the other typically.
    this basically.

although, I have to argue against consoles being better for driving that PC. you CAN play with gamepad on a PC, you know (personaly I rarely chose to as keyboard and mouse is one of the reasons I play on PC in a first place, but it IS an option)

that said...

10+ Year Old Account
    What exactly can you do on a console that couldn't be done on a PC? Or Vice Versa? This is almost like saying you can't do something on a MAC that you can do on a PC.
    Exclusive games, generally. There are games you can only get on a console if you want to play them within a reasonable time frame, not waiting for emulators to come online 10+ years from now, as well as there being games that play much better with a keyboard on PC even if they happen to get a console port.

It's just a piece of hardware at the end of the day, the software side of things is what matters to people.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, it depends on how much you fiddle with your PC, but typically consoles are much faster to get straight into game from offline status than a PC, or even a laptop, and they don't require any mouse clicking in between which is what a PC typically does require. Power on, grab the pad, jump on the couch and go.

There's also no need to install or reinstall an operating system, and even game installs and updates are somewhat simplistic on a console.

Consoles are also compact and quiet as opposed to a tower, and fit comfortably near a TV in your living room, although you could of course argue for a laptop or some custom build here.

Still, plenty of console exclusives out there you can't play on the PC without breaking the law.
    None of that described something the console can do that the PC can't do.

In any case, no need to fight the "PC vs console" -war. Just own both and be happy.
    No argument from me.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I understand, the vast majority of big console titles are ported on PC, which can't be said in reverse. Similarly, the amount of customization for PC is unmatched by, pretty much, anything. I suppose consoles have their use, but if you are deciding on a platform for more or less "serious" gaming, I would look towards computers.

And frankly, I think eventually there will be console emulators for PC officially sold, and then consoles will become kinda obsolete.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Exclusive games, generally. There are games you can only get on a console
    Bringing up console exclusives as a strength of consoles is like praising a toaster that can only toast a specific brand of bread.

Ok maybe that wasn't the best analogy, but it's an argument that has never made a lick of sense. It's basically holding a game hostage on one platform for no other reason than partnership with MS/Sony who are pushing to divide the gaming community (PS4 vs XBO woooo) and sell more units of their particular platform. Everything about it is so wrong, it baffles me why anyone can think console exclusives are a strength of consoles.

It's a bit like Nintendo hardware which only exists/sells because Nintendo won't allow their precious franchises to run on any other hardware. I.e. the software exists to sell the hardware and vice versa. I can understand why that was necessary in the 80s and 90s, but today...sigh.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2016-10-04 at 07:30 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Bringing up console exclusives as a strength of consoles is like praising a toaster that can only toast a specific brand of bread.

Ok maybe that wasn't the best analogy, but it's an argument that has never made a lick of sense. It's basically holding a game hostage on one platform for no other reason than partnership with MS/Sony who are pushing to divide the gaming community (PS4 vs XBO woooo) and sell more units of their particular platform. Everything about it is so wrong, it baffles me why anyone can think console exclusives are a strength of consoles.

It's a bit like Nintendo hardware which only exists/sells because Nintendo won't allow their precious franchises to run on any other hardware. I.e. the software exists to sell the hardware and vice versa. I can understand why that was necessary in the 80s and 90s, but today...sigh.
    None of that changes the fact that there are only games you can get on a console.

Also, funny you mention Nintendo. We literally wouldn't have Nintendo games if they didn't have their own hardware to run it on. Would you really consider having no Nintendo at all a benefit to the gaming community?

Deleted
    People took this way out of proportion.

Firstly, my budget really doesn't stretch been able to provide games for an xbox and upgrading a PC, it's as simple as that, so my focus has to be for one or the other.

Secondly, a lot of people mis-read what i posted about NMS. I was not using that game as something to show-case PC, if you read what I posted, it was one of the two games I looked forward to this year (Before anyone had actually played it), and only owning a PC, the initial experience was killed by having a game that was unplayable.

Lastly, the whole point of this thread was to get a word from someone who has moved from PC to console, maybe even due to similar reasons. I have been a PC gamer since I was young, I know that PC has superior graphics, and that it can provide higher frame-rates and customization, but at one point, this isn't enough to outweight the cons of having the game not actually run in the first place.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    And frankly, I think eventually there will be console emulators for PC officially sold, and then consoles will become kinda obsolete.
    This in particular is a pretty huge step in that direction : PS Now

As well as : Gaming on Windows 10 | Xbox
    Though, i think with Xbox, unlike Playstation, its only for newer games. Haven't looked to far into the Xbox option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    None of that changes the fact that there are only games you can get on a console.

Also, funny you mention Nintendo. We literally wouldn't have Nintendo games if they didn't have their own hardware to run it on. Would you really consider having no Nintendo at all a benefit to the gaming community?
    Gaming as we know it wouldn't have existed without Nintendo. Respect given where it's due.

Which is exactly why I said what they did was very well suited for the 80s and 90s. At that time they were leading the industry with games & platforms because there was nothing else that could possibly run Nintendo games. They were pioneers in both hardware and software. The Gamecube was the last respectable home gaming hardware platform Nintendo released.

After that, there has been no justifable reason for Nintendo consoles to exist because MS/Sony consoles could easily run all their games, as well as low-end PCs. Today Nintendo hardware exists solely as a proprietary stamp that says "you need this toaster which will allow you the great privilege of playing Nintendo games because Nintendo say so". Sony and MS are guilty of the same shit with every exclusive that could've absolutely been available on all platforms.

Gaming should be about GAMES that can be played by everyone, not about private companies pushing their proprietary platform and dividing communities. It's ridiculous that this "can't play with my friend because he has an XBO and I have a PS4" or "Mario Galaxy is so fun! But you need to sink $250-300 into a Wii U first" nonsense is still happening.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    It's so hard to have a decent conversation about this now-a-days. Everywhere I look, console gamers are just noted as the "peasants" and PC gamers as the "gods" but I can't be the only one that sees it completely different, can i?

The recent shit with Forza really annoyed me, I've loved the concept of an open world racing game, but never wanted to buy an xbox just to experience it, so you can understand the joy when they announced that forza horizons 3 would come to PC, and it did, but its such a bad port its next to unplayable, you can check videos on this around but its very, very hard to run it at 1080p @ 60fps. Yet it runs beautifully on xbox one.

This is my beef with PC gaming, you are playing the lottery when purchasing a game, and you can't just say its 1 game. The only 2 games i've been hyped for this year, No mans sky and forza horizons 3, have both been plagued with issues on PC, to the point both are completely unplayable, these were wide-spread issues on both games too. You never hear about this on consoles, the worst i've heard if servers dying on popular games, which is experienced on PC too.

I'm really on the verge of buying a console because this shit is just getting boring. You'll always get the people who will argue to the back teeth that PC gaming is better, and while yes, it offers a better experience, some people just want to sit down and play a game, not come home and spend 2 hours trying to figure out what settings are causing them to drop frames.
    Can honestly say I've had minimal problems with neither PC or console and I've been using both since the 90s. I've personally encountered more issues on console, mostly bug related than PC, but still that's hardly real evidence of anything. I havent had any issues with NMS on pc either. I also like to tinker and customize how things run. I also enjoy just popping in a game and playing from the comfort of my couch with no effort. These days I mostly just play on my PS4 with the exception of wow, rts and competitive shooters.

I find both platforms ultimately similar with the same issues present on both. I do find the PS4 or consoles to have a lengthy load time, but that's not really something that bothers me. I use whatever fits my mood. If you don't want to have to tinker with settings then maybe consoles are for you, but nvidia also has an app that sets settings up for you on PC as well.

TLDR: I find both platforms similar in overall experience and suggest you do whatever suits YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Exclusive games, generally. There are games you can only get on a console if you want to play them within a reasonable time frame, not waiting for emulators to come online 10+ years from now, as well as there being games that play much better with a keyboard on PC even if they happen to get a console port.

It's just a piece of hardware at the end of the day, the software side of things is what matters to people.
    Yet there isn't anything that the console can do that a pc can't do or pc can do that a console couldn't. There's no reason you couldn't hook up a usb keyboard to a console with the software support and play a game with a keyboard on a console. I already know you can plug in a controller in a PC and play "console" games on it.

The point is both a console and a PC are computers. You could do the same thing on both is my point. Someone just needs to make it so. There's nothing inherently different in a PC and a console that would prevent you from doing the same thing on both.

Exclusive games for a console is a marketing gimmick to make you think you HAVE to have a console. Madden is a good example. There is no reason they couldn't port Madden back onto the PC or any other game. There is nothing in the tech in a PC or Computer that keeps a game from being play on both.

That's my argument. Whatever could be done on a PC could be done on a console and the vice versa.

Honestly dude get a console or upgrade your pc whichever you want and just fuck what other people think. Your money at the end of the day and if you are enjoying it then that is what matters the most. I own a PC and a PS4 and I get my enjoyment out of both mostly my PS4 because I have certain games that I prefer to just sit on my couch and play as well as games for my PC I like to sit in my chair with a controller or keyboard and mouse and just play. I personally don't care for all this "pc master race" bullcrap that has been flying about either because it just sounds immature.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-10-05 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    As I understand, the vast majority of big console titles are ported on PC, which can't be said in reverse. Similarly, the amount of customization for PC is unmatched by, pretty much, anything. I suppose consoles have their use, but if you are deciding on a platform for more or less "serious" gaming, I would look towards computers.

The only way I see this as a good future is if local split-screen and the like is still supported by PC titles. ATM between PCs, PS4, and XB1, they seem to completely ignore the feature entirely on common genres like shooters. Nintendo practically promotes this style of play with some of their games.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    People took this way out of proportion.

Firstly, my budget really doesn't stretch been able to provide games for an xbox and upgrading a PC, it's as simple as that, so my focus has to be for one or the other.
    Your budget definitely has room for both. Forgo the PC upgrade, get an Xbox to enjoy the synergy of Win10 then upgrade the comp the next year. One of the big advantages of the consoles is no upgrades (Till the next one comes out)

I love both my gaming PC and my Xbox. FPS, MMO's, RTS, MOBA, old school point and clicks are all better on PC where as driving, fighting, sports and (generally) 3rd person action are better on the console.

There is also the comfort and group factor that consoles have over PC's just do the the setup of most peoples homes. I love sitting on the couch and playing some D3 with my wife or living room Rock Band with my son. Unless you have an awesome office or man cave set up to accommodate this, its just not the same.

TL;DR
    Save up, get both, enjoy all the gaming experiance

Nothing wrong with owning both. I rather collect games so I main console, so I can own hardcopy's.

Right now I game on a Ps4,XB1 and the PC in my sig.

Each has pros and cons nether is 100% better then the other.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Exces View Post
    SW:Battlefront/Fallout 4/COD

And then there's the quality difference as well, sub 1080p gameplay struggling to reach 30fps seems such a thing of the past.
    Nice try on your post, but 2 of the 3 games you mentioned run at 60 fps and 2 of the 3 games you mentioned run at native 1080p. Nice try.

As others have already said why limit yourself? Own everything, play things on whatever you wish. That's called winning. Trying argue what is "better" is just losing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Nice try on your post, but 2 of the 3 games you mentioned run at 60 fps and 2 of the 3 games you mentioned run at native 1080p. Nice try.

As others have already said why limit yourself? Own everything, play things on whatever you wish. That's called winning. Trying argue what is "better" is just losing.
    Good job on cherry-picking the quote and warping my words around.

For those three games I mentioned installation times, loading times and paid internet access, which is why those things were listed under the "things I noticed about these games" section, and the performance comment was mentioned later.

The reason I mentioned the quality difference is how I experience consoles generally struggling to reach/maintain 1080p/60fps. If the mentioned games run as you say, that's still a failure rate of 2/3.