Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Political power is not derived, usually, by an individual, but rather by a majority of a group. We, white people, have a lot of political power, even now.

Individually, you are less likely to be stopped by the police, put in jail, or be a victim of a hate crime, among many other "perks" of having a while skin, that you are free to look up.
    I'm black and do not live in fear of the police. Nor have I been pulled over or detained without an actual reason attached. Nor have I had a gun pulled on me. And was given a warning for driving on a suspended license instead of being arrested.

How does that work? Shouldn't I be oppressed and worse off than my unemployed white friends even though I have a job?

10+ Year Old Account
    We have a representative democracy... the politicians are beholden to the "average joe in the suburbs".
    Not really. We have government that just looks that way. I will point out that the President doesnt need to win the popular vote to be elected. In fact, it is theoretically possible (though very unlikely) to win the Electoral College with a bit more than 1/4 of the total votes.

7+ Year Old Account
    This is why gay marriage only became legal recently, or why we had our first black president only relatively recently, and until that, every president was the "average joe".
    Most certainly not. The presidents so far have been fairly detached from the average joes life.

I think understanding how demographics work, and how politicians try to pull votes from demographics to get elected is important.
    Sure, but that does not mean white people as a group are in power. Many of my white friends in USA support the same things that I do. That I am asian american and they are white does not change that we have the same opinions on issues.
    Last edited by Nitro Fun; 2016-10-05 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zervek View Post
    Not at all. The 'Black Pride' phrase originates from real oppression and discrimination that black people went through. It isn't said with the idea that blacks are above other races.
    'White Pride', however, originated from the idea of white supremacy.
    And "gay" was originally used to mean "carefree", "happy", or "bright and showy". Now it primarily refers to a homosexual person or the trait of being homosexual.

In the words of the wise Garrosh, "Times Change". So your point is?

I am talking about the US, yes. If this was India, I would probably mention a different dynamic, when the UK ruled over it.

I did not say it was "wrong". I only said why black people, as a minority, or gay people as a minority that is shamed, etc, would want to show "pride". They were, or are marginalized... white people, historically in the US, have not been, so having "Pride" as in the generel sense of "we are out there" is meaningless, a bit weird, and comes off as gloating.

No, its to show that people are proud of being white when every sort of media and publication wants to demonize people for being "Privileged". No wonder people are doing this.
    Last edited by Varitok; 2016-10-05 at 08:13 PM.

Not exactly. It is has more to do with white people, historically, holding the reins of power. Being proud while holding the reins of power comes off as gloating.

Minorities do not hold power... because they are minorities, so being "proud" of who you are, even though you are not significant is more of a feelgood "we are out here, don't forget us" show of pride. It is also more psychological... makes the minority feels good to see others there with them.

White Pride is akin to a King celebrating that he has power... It is not needed, we know you are the King.

Now with changing demographics, and minds that may change, and hopefully pride(or shame) in a genetic trait won't be needed in the near future.
    Thank god I am the king in Zimbabwe... god forbid a country a country that white is the majority doesn't have exactly equal amounts of blacks and whites in the Oscars for example....but then hey they only bring up being a minority when it suits them.

Everyone is king in the US right now.... except maybe crazy people making up 20 new genders and wondering why people aren't respecting it.

And I'd go a step further since people don't understand or refuse to acknowledge that there is pretty damn good equality people then ruin said equality by assuming women and minorities do not have equal rights and treatment and push them slightly ahead. I mean hell I think gay people have the most to complain about in this country still and yet ever since DOMA was gone you haven't heard nearly as much(short of Orlando but that's different) from the gay community meanwhile you have women and black people still trying to make these outrageous lies that they're oppressed while Asians and Hispanics look on saying "Hi!" even though, going back to let's say the Oscars, those 2 groups are actually under represented(and in more areas).

7+ Year Old Account
    I am not going to argue with someone that thinks science is opinion.
    The chance for an individual to be stopped by the police or to to be a victim of hate crime is pretty low in the first place no matter your race.

Historically, like till the 1950's in the US, no the politicians did not really care about minorities. Right now, I did mention that we are in a tipping point in race relations.

But like I said, there are still people alive that remember seeing this:

That is from 1956.

- - - Updated - - -

Most of the people who remember those signs actually agree that there isn't a problem today unless they are the people that Booker T Washington warned about who want to keep an illusion of racism going once it's gone(or force it to be a real thing still rather than an illusion).

Also nice ad hominem attack on the reply to Dextroden. Can't beat the argument? Use an ad hominem.

Historically, like till the 1950's in the US, no the politicians did not really care about minorities. Right now, I did mention that we are in a tipping point in race relations.

But like I said, there are still people alive that remember seeing this:

That is from 1956.

- - - Updated - - -

And 60 years later, people that grew up in conditions nowhere near that, forgetting that not every part of the country is 60's era deep south for black people, talking about being oppressed. Totally not dishonest shit kept alive to keep race relations terrible.

And it's called theoretical science and theories. Or, "We used to think smoking was healthy".

Facts disagree:

The big question about why police pull over so many black drivers
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...black-drivers/

If they'd zoom closer on the graph, the disparity would be even bigger!

7+ Year Old Account
    Facts disagree:
    3 percentage points more than white people. Wow. That's some grave injustice right there that requires immediate attention.

Try being black over here where I am now and then go back to USA. What people are whining about in the US is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Most of the people who remember those signs actually agree that there isn't a problem today unless they are the people that Booker T Washington warned about who want to keep an illusion of racism going once it's gone(or force it to be a real thing still rather than an illusion).

Also nice ad hominem attack on the reply to Dextroden. Can't beat the argument? Use an ad hominem.
    Most of the people? What people are those?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Facts disagree:

So, the statistics say the race that commits far more crime per capita is pulled over more per capita....

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    I'm black and do not live in fear of the police. Nor have I been pulled over or detained without an actual reason attached. Nor have I had a gun pulled on me. And was given a warning for driving on a suspended license instead of being arrested.

How does that work? Shouldn't I be oppressed and worse off than my unemployed white friends even though I have a job?
    Your anecdote means fuck all. I've got numerous accounts in rebuttal of black law-abiding family members that were pulled over for arbitrary reasons, but I'll just link these:
    Chris Rock.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson.
    A fucking US Senator.
    Are these people criminals?
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Facts disagree:

Also don't forget that most hate crimes based on race are against blacks.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc.../victims_final

62.7 percent were victims of crimes motivated by their offenders’ anti-Black or African American bias.
    22.7 percent were victims of anti-White bias.
    6.2 percent were victims of anti-Asian bias.
    4.6 percent were victims of anti-American Indian or Alaska Native bias.
    3.7 percent were victims of bias against a group of individuals in which more than one race was represented (anti-multiple races, group).
    0.1 percent (4 individuals) were victims of anti-Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander bias. (Based on Table 1.)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Also don't forget that most hate crimes based on race are against blacks.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc.../victims_final

62.7 percent were victims of crimes motivated by their offenders’ anti-Black or African American bias.
    22.7 percent were victims of anti-White bias.
    6.2 percent were victims of anti-Asian bias.
    4.6 percent were victims of anti-American Indian or Alaska Native bias.
    3.7 percent were victims of bias against a group of individuals in which more than one race was represented (anti-multiple races, group).
    0.1 percent (4 individuals) were victims of anti-Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander bias. (Based on Table 1.)
    3,227 in a year. Some serious shit right there.

Considering the kind of gang violence that goes on in that community, it is not too surprising to find the usual suspects championing "white pride".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Really every single peer reviewed study without exception corroborates this.
    So show me one.

Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Considering the kind of gang violence that goes on in that community, it is not too surprising to find the usual suspects championing "white pride".
    Gang Violence isn't really happening in North Jersey yet we have KKK and neo Nazi issues in quite a few towns up here.

Also "look gang violence, I shall react by screaming white power!" is a fucking retarded reaction.

Not exactly. It is has more to do with white people, historically, holding the reins of power. Being proud while holding the reins of power comes off as gloating.

Minorities do not hold power... because they are minorities, so being "proud" of who you are, even though you are not significant is more of a feelgood "we are out here, don't forget us" show of pride. It is also more psychological... makes the minority feels good to see others there with them.

White Pride is akin to a King celebrating that he has power... It is not needed, we know you are the King.

Now with changing demographics, and minds that may change, and hopefully pride(or shame) in a genetic trait won't be needed in the near future.
    If simply being white means being in power, where should I go to collect the power I am owed? I'm also still waiting to collect my privileges, so maybe someone at White HQ has my address wrong.

Important News Flash: If you are a part of a majority, you have no right to be proud of your heritage. Only members of minorities can express pride. Thanks for the tip, Connal.