Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    And while it is tough to get into try selling Herbalife or the various other products like it. If your charismatic and lucky enough you can make decent money doing it and it's not physically demanding at all.
    The guy wants help and you recommend he entrench himself in a pyramid scheme? What's wrong with you?
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

You have access to a computer and internet at home? Try out www.mturk.com. You and your girlfriend can both do it during "downtime". It doesn't take a whole lot of skill/effort/technical know how to get a $5 an hour wage from it. Which isn't the greatest but can be a boon to people in your situation. With more skill, effort, and experience, as well as learning to use scripts, one can get that up to an average $10-15 hourly wage from it, though it is highly inconsistent since it depends on the type of jobs people are putting out. I've made about 1k a month doing that on and off for the past 6 months. Which obviously isn't enough to support a family but it can supplement income/hold you over for a little. This is not a pyramid scheme. This isn't an ad. There are no referral perks. It is an amazon website. It is not a scam.

Also, you can try doing things like signing up for p&k research if they have one of those in an area. If you fit the demographic they are looking at they'll do something like give you $30 for an hour to try and give your opinion on snacks or drinks. There are others like those as well that I'm not aware of, I'm sure.

Look into donating plasma as well.

I realize these are short term solutions, but perhaps it can help you get back on your feet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    The guy wants help and you recommend he entrench himself in a pyramid scheme? What's wrong with you?
    My thoughts exactly. Screw that shady crap salesman shit.

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard you can make $200 - $500 per donation for sperm donations. Maybe look into that?

Military, if your leg isn't to bad. Free health care for the kids, free housing for the family, cheap food. And they'd love to have a cook.

The idea is to qualify for the GI bill so that you can go to college after 3-4 years. 24 is still pretty young. I think they're back to wanting a high school diploma now.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Also if you actually live in the city and cheaply get around on the bus or something, you should take some pain killers for the leg and manually go around looking for places hiring. A lot of them don't even post the jobs online.
    Live pretty much smack dab in the middle of the city.
    We have a car that all we pay on is gas.

That's how I got the shane's job, hitting the pavement and walking around town.
    As odd as it may sound, its harder for me to walk now than it was then.
    Swelling went down, now the screws I'm set to get removed are messing with muscles in my ankle causing even more problems.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Well that's good that she is getting all of that settled. Hopefully it can take off once she fully purchases it.

I work security and for a lot of places it is an entry level gig. So as long as you present yourself well and interview well then you can get hired. The pay isn't generally worth writing home about but it's well worth it in the end.

Definitely try the telemarketing thing as well. Staying off of your feet couldn't hurt.

And while it is tough to get into try selling Herbalife or the various other products like it. If your charismatic and lucky enough you can make decent money doing it and it's not physically demanding at all.
    Yeah, we're hoping that with it being Halloween season, and them being big on costumes that she'll be bringing in a lot more money this month.
    (she gets "bonuses" if sales are above a certain point.)

An ex used to sell cut-co knives, I had actually tried doing that on the side of my old job with her, but it didn't pan out.
    But then again, that was 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Have you looked into trades apprenticeships? Generally you'll take 2 months of schooling, and then start working as an apprentice where you'll actually make a (small) living wage, and once you've completed the entire training then you'll actually make a respectable wage. And the initial school costs should be able to be covered by a small student loan.

Here in Calgary electricians are kind of in a surplus, but other trades like masons, carpenters, mechanics are always in demand.
    I've been looking into a "Dekalb workforce" thing that does on the job training for various jobs, but I hadn't thought about actual trade-schools.
    Might not be a bad idea, my uncle is a contractor and makes bank out in Savannah fixing peoples homes.
    Though that particular job requires a good bit of physical work, I know other ones wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Butosai View Post
    this is going to sound really stupid and trolly but I actually am trying to help. My uncle was in a similar position to you and he went to training here http://thedingking.com/ to become a paintless dent removal technician ( or w/e they call it) He works for car dealerships now and makes a ton of money off of very little effort. Worth a look atleast if your near one of their centers.
    I'll take a look!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    For short term cash you can look into donating plasma and sperm, that can net you a little bit of money if things are tight. You gf could also donate an egg, which can get a couple thousand dollars, but it requires surgery.

I think there are places near me that will take plasma every 3-4 days, and pay roughly 35-55 each time, up to 300 or 350 a month. It's not a ton, but it is better than nothing.

We had a family friend lose her job in accounting and she lived off cleaning peoples houses and baby sitting. She said she made on average 15 an hour under the table to clean peoples houses, and around 10 for baby sitting. If that could be an option for you, you can always try to tap into friends/family and ask if they know anyone looking for those types of services (that's how I found both the cleaning lady that comes every 2 weeks and our babysitter).
    Plasma I could probably do for that little bit of extra cash, but isn't sperm a very small "payout"?

Cleaning houses, now that's not that bad an idea.
    Just have to collect a few supplies and get business cards to hand out...
    Babysitting wouldn't be too bad, but most people don't like guys for that job.

i dont have any suggest since you are too far away and things may work a lot different than here, im wrecked too. but if you succed on passing this hard times, move to Argentina (here) at least here they cannot fire you like that without paying you lot of money. (at least to survive till you get another job) and your girl will take the needed medical assistan for free, and i dont care to pay that with my taxes.

gl and i hope that you all are ok.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Military, if your leg isn't to bad. Free health care for the kids, free housing for the family, cheap food. And they'd love to have a cook.

The idea is to qualify for the GI bill so that you can go to college after 3-4 years. 24 is still pretty young. I think they're back to wanting a high school diploma now.
    This would also be a very viable option - if the leg doesn't keep you out. The G.I. Bill would also open up a more-than-likely-closed path to a college degree.

As for long term.. I don't have any real experience in the matter.

But if you find a temporary job, maybe you can take night classes. Or take one of those self taught computer coding/programming courses online. You can even work towards getting IT certifications (that require no degree) online. They aren't always free but they are cheaper than real school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Call your friends and family and co-workers... networking works and with a brother who seems to be in development, you can get a QA (testing) or data entry position, if one is available. Get into IT, even the bottom of the bottom, get your foot in the door... bust ass... reap rewards...

I was laid off a couple of years ago and got so freaked out while on unemployment. I took a job I said I never would, including a step down from lead engineer to just tier one monkey work. Well, I busted ass, put in a lot of 60+ hour weeks. Streamlined several processes and volunteered for anything I could get my hands on. As of a month or so ago, I am back to lead engineer, but will now manage nearly an entire division. Was litteraly told to not do any hands on work, but to handle a couple of projects, in a way I already did to a bunch of others.

Don't wait to be told what to do. If you see a problem, solve it... get credit... stay humble... reap rewards...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    Ok lemme give you a very basic advice: There is absolutely no evidence, no god, no great one who actually said "this is true". No - the main goal of a natural chipmunk could be to destroy the entire universe. The only thing that can MIGHT BE is your ego. Do you feel real? Are you "there"? Do you exist? I don't think so. You are nothing and will wither and die. Or... ?

Nature is a very basic concept and probably completely wrong in terms of complete failure.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KeirAdish View Post
    Live pretty much smack dab in the middle of the city.
    We have a car that all we pay on is gas.

That's how I got the shane's job, hitting the pavement and walking around town.
    As odd as it may sound, its harder for me to walk now than it was then.
    Swelling went down, now the screws I'm set to get removed are messing with muscles in my ankle causing even more problems.
    This is how I would suggest you get the bartending position. Craigslist ads get way too many responses.

Yeah, we're hoping that with it being Halloween season, and them being big on costumes that she'll be bringing in a lot more money this month.
    (she gets "bonuses" if sales are above a certain point.)

An ex used to sell cut-co knives, I had actually tried doing that on the side of my old job with her, but it didn't pan out.
    But then again, that was 4 years ago.
    I would avoid an HerbaLife or similar sales position yourself. The odds are deeply against you making long term money, and if it doesn't work out, you're back to square one.

I've been looking into a "Dekalb workforce" thing that does on the job training for various jobs, but I hadn't thought about actual trade-schools.
    Might not be a bad idea, my uncle is a contractor and makes bank out in Savannah fixing peoples homes.
    Though that particular job requires a good bit of physical work, I know other ones wouldn't.
    Trade schools are the new community colleges - and they are a great choice. Be careful about trades that require you to stand all day - I mean no disrespect, but if you leg is bothering you now at age 24, it's not going to be better at age 40.

Cleaning houses, now that's not that bad an idea.
    Just have to collect a few supplies and get business cards to hand out...
    Babysitting wouldn't be too bad, but most people don't like guys for that job.
    House cleaning requires licensing and bonding, unless you work for someone else's company - and you're still standing. I agree with you on babysitting - most people aren't going to hire a guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedni View Post

But if you find a temporary job, maybe you can take night classes. Or take one of those self taught computer coding/programming courses online. You can even work towards getting IT certifications (that require no degree) online. They aren't always free but they are cheaper than real school.
    Unless going into repair, I wouldn't recommend getting certification. Unless as just personal education... time could be used better with just learning and getting comfortable enouph, that you can apply for a low level gig, but during the interview stand up and write some simple code. Speaking of which, if you want future proof... study anything and everything about optimization and automation. You can beat out more qualified or educated candidates, if you can nail that down in IT.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gintoki View Post
    Ok lemme give you a very basic advice: There is absolutely no evidence, no god, no great one who actually said "this is true". No - the main goal of a natural chipmunk could be to destroy the entire universe. The only thing that can MIGHT BE is your ego. Do you feel real? Are you "there"? Do you exist? I don't think so. You are nothing and will wither and die. Or... ?

Nature is a very basic concept and probably completely wrong in terms of complete failure.
    Another tip for interviews, stay positive... be a ray of sunshine, even if all you want to do is drive a railroad spike through the interviewers face...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    For job hunting, look at Indeed or craigslist.

I would suggest thinking about some type of schooling. Perhaps police dispatcher? Government job that is always in need. I would just start looking at other options by this point. Schooling or training being the biggest ones.
    We had looked at indeed once before(while I was still employed) but couldn't find anything at the time that didn't require either schooling, or college for the area we were looking, but it wont hurt to look again.

I wouldn't mind a government job, just again, a lot of them require this or that, which I simply don't have. :/
    Though police dispatcher is actually one I could have a shoe in for...
    I was a police explorer before I was 21...

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Your industry experience could translate into a bartending job - and those pay very well. You'll have to finangle your way into the spot unless you have a lot of experience, but you can take $40k/yr home without a sweat. You'll have to stand, which sucks with your leg, but you don't have a ton of options atm.

I feel for your daughter (I have three kids) but I have no good info re medicaid. Sorry man.

Do the housing this re the 4bdrm if at all possible. More space, less $$ - anything you can.

Long term career (I'm a healthcare recruiter) - I would NOT advise going to college right now - not even Community College. What I would advise is going to a trade school - and not just any trade school. Dental Hygienist training - very quick school turn around - you can do classes in the day and work at night. Once you graduate and land a job you'll be making $35-40k/yr, with good benefits.

PM me for more details - happy to help (I actually love helping people with career issues - it's why I love recruiting/development)
    I've done the bartender thing, I don't like it at all.
    I did it as a daytime bartender for about 3-4 months, I managed to get regulars and even have some fun, but all in all I just didn't enjoy it.
    Then a few months later they trained me and put me as the bar manager(bar in restaurant.) for another 2 months before I got transferred across the city to a new store.

Yeah, we pay 750 right now for our studio, and have seen 4bdrm's for 900, we just keep getting denied for this or that reason.
    Either credit too low, income too low, someone else got accepted first, etc.

hmm, that's not bad at all.
    Dental Hygienist...
    Hey then I might get dental insurance and be able to get a tooth pulled... >.<

I'll definitely be PMing you shortly.

You have access to a computer and internet at home? Try out www.mturk.com. You and your girlfriend can both do it during "downtime". It doesn't take a whole lot of skill/effort/technical know how to get a $5 an hour wage from it. Which isn't the greatest but can be a boon to people in your situation. With more skill, effort, and experience, as well as learning to use scripts, one can get that up to an average $10-15 hourly wage from it, though it is highly inconsistent since it depends on the type of jobs people are putting out. I've made about 1k a month doing that on and off for the past 6 months. Which obviously isn't enough to support a family but it can supplement income/hold you over for a little. This is not a pyramid scheme. This isn't an ad. There are no referral perks. It is an amazon website. It is not a scam.

Also, you can try doing things like signing up for p&k research if they have one of those in an area. If you fit the demographic they are looking at they'll do something like give you $30 for an hour to try and give your opinion on snacks or drinks. There are others like those as well that I'm not aware of, I'm sure.

Look into donating plasma as well.

I realize these are short term solutions, but perhaps it can help you get back on your feet.
    I'll take a look into that link you listed, even if its just an in the free time side thing, extra cash is extra cash.
    Well, getting paid to eat and test things doesn't sound that bad considering how things are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

99% sure I am disqualified from military service due to an injury from my teen years that has left a nerve poking out of my index finger on my left hand. :/
    but if I did qualify and applied I wouldn't be of any use in any sort of combat zone, or anything of the sort, seeing as I can fast walk and that's the fastest I can move. :/
    Got a GED, so I mean I have that at least...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    Because selling stuff from home is terrible am I right? It's an option. And not one he has to stick to. I had other suggestions as well. Perhaps not be a prick about it eh?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Sadly, the Shane's job was supposed to be said temporary job. :/
    I'll have to look into those self taught courses and see if I feel I would be able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Call your friends and family and co-workers... networking works and with a brother who seems to be in development, you can get a QA (testing) or data entry position, if one is available. Get into IT, even the bottom of the bottom, get your foot in the door... bust ass... reap rewards...

I was laid off a couple of years ago and got so freaked out while on unemployment. I took a job I said I never would, including a step down from lead engineer to just tier one monkey work. Well, I busted ass, put in a lot of 60+ hour weeks. Streamlined several processes and volunteered for anything I could get my hands on. As of a month or so ago, I am back to lead engineer, but will now manage nearly an entire division. Was literaly told to not do any hands on work, but to handle a couple of projects, in a way I already did to a bunch of others.

Don't wait to be told what to do. If you see a problem, solve it... get credit... stay humble... reap rewards...
    I've been reaching out, I have a few friends reaching out to either their employers, or friends of their to see if they can aide me, but nothings come to fruition yet.
    Brother is still in school unfortunately, He's working the same job I left earlier this year, he's been there 10 years and is perfectly happy as a 10$ an hour cook while he goes to school.

Well, only jobs I won't take are McDonalds(food makes me puke) and back at Sonny's where I left due to it turning dead end.
    Any other job would either be very temporary due to physical constraints, or if no physical constraints could be where I stay and happily raise my family should there be room to move up as you did.

I'm typically a fast paced worker, before breaking my leg I would get told to slow down a lot because I would move around the restaurant at a fast pace working 3-4 different projects all at once getting them done in the time it took newer employees to do 1-2 tasks 1 at a time.
    Its that foot in the door is all I need, I'm perfectly happy working those 60+ hour work weeks(physical constraints aside) if it means that a little ways down the road I'll advance and be able to delegate and manage a team, or something of that sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Gintoki View Post

not 100% sure you posted in the proper topic.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    This is how I would suggest you get the bartending position. Craigslist ads get way too many responses.

I would avoid an HerbaLife or similar sales position yourself. The odds are deeply against you making long term money, and if it doesn't work out, you're back to square one.

Trade schools are the new community colleges - and they are a great choice. Be careful about trades that require you to stand all day - I mean no disrespect, but if you leg is bothering you now at age 24, it's not going to be better at age 40.

House cleaning requires licensing and bonding, unless you work for someone else's company - and you're still standing. I agree with you on babysitting - most people aren't going to hire a guy.
    mentioned it in a post (after yours) but been there, done that on the bartending, would much rather not.
    Wasn't a good fit for me.

Oh I know the pain is only gonna get worse, that's why I'm desperately trying to find something... anything that doesn't require too much strain upon it. :/

hmm, didn't know it took licensing. That sucks.

Stood in the Fire The5thVegetable's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    When you say from step-dad, you mean he learned online on his own and then applied that to getting a job doing coding?
    Prett much.

Sooooo why did you get kicked off Medicaid AND food stamps? Are you just the unluckiest person on earth, twice betrayed by bureaucracy? I know plenty of people who have absolutely no trouble qualifying for those welfare programs. Since you didn't explain the reason to us, you're kinda on your own figuring that out based on the specifics of your situation...

Anyway, stop being so down on yourself about your limited experience. I was a manager of a pharmacy and lemme tell you, if you're a quality person, they'll hire you. Pharm techs start at $9/hr. Just try everything. There really is no reason that a quality person would be unable to find a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Unless going into repair, I wouldn't recommend getting certification. Unless as just personal education... time could be used better with just learning and getting comfortable enouph, that you can apply for a low level gig, but during the interview stand up and write some simple code. Speaking of which, if you want future proof... study anything and everything about optimization and automation. You can beat out more qualified or educated candidates, if you can nail that down in IT.

- - - Updated - - -

Another tip for interviews, stay positive... be a ray of sunshine, even if all you want to do is drive a railroad spike through the interviewers face...
    Optimization and automation for what exactly?
    Just anything in general?

Quote Originally Posted by The5thVegetable View Post
    Prett much.
    That's cool.
    I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawstruck View Post
    Sooooo why did you get kicked off Medicaid AND food stamps? Are you just the unluckiest person on earth, twice betrayed by bureaucracy? I know plenty of people who have absolutely no trouble qualifying for those welfare programs. Since you didn't explain the reason to us, you're kinda on your own figuring that out based on the specifics of your situation...

Anyway, stop being so down on yourself about your limited experience. I was a manager of a pharmacy and lemme tell you, if you're a quality person, they'll hire you. Pharm techs start at $9/hr. Just try everything. There really is no reason that a quality person would be unable to find a job.
    They literally just went on a kicking spree unless you were counted as a "special needs" case.
    one day we had foodstamps, the next we got a letter saying we were cut due to budget reasons or something along those lines.

---

Have to go pick child up from daycare real fast, will be back in about 30 minutes or so to continue reading and answering.
    (before you ask, we pay 22$ a week after CAP's, which we might also be losing.)

We had looked at indeed once before(while I was still employed) but couldn't find anything at the time that didn't require either schooling, or college for the area we were looking, but it wont hurt to look again.

I wouldn't mind a government job, just again, a lot of them require this or that, which I simply don't have. :/
    Though police dispatcher is actually one I could have a shoe in for...
    I was a police explorer before I was 21...
    Honestly, you're going to need training. If you wont go get it yourself, try to find places that will offer to train you for them. At this point in time, its best you try to get some training. Sure, it will be hard, but it'll have to get done.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

It sounds like right now you shouldnt be focusing on things you "like" doing, but things you need to be doing. You said you dont like working at a bar but if it pays the bills then you dont really have any other choice, its better than being homeless, especially with a child. Find something for now and bite the bullet and realize its only temporary.

You shot yourself in the foot by not atleast having a college degree, but i see jobs all the time for line cooks paying 18+ an hour, full time, which would mean you would clear 35k a year. Hours shouldnt matter, you need to provide at this point.

Worst case scenario, sign yourself up for a 9 week program to become a nurses aid, LNA, or whatever they call it down there. Pretty sure its inexpensive and provides you with a solid career as anything in the healthcare industry will come with job security.

You worked in the food industry, dont just label it as food though. Time to bullshit the resume a little bit, add some customer service in there which im sure from time to time you had to interact with customers, and if you didnt, lie. No place hiring base customer service reps are going to call and really ask what you did. If they do, give them a friends phone number and have that person talk their way through the 4 or 5 questions they will ask. Time to get creative, lie a little bit on the resume, and start throwing that thing out to every place thats hiring.

Also, get on Indeed. Take the 20-40 minutes to perfect your resume, put in on Indeed and i guarantee in a couple weeks you will have a job with a little bit of effort.

Cheers.