10+ Year Old Account

Need help picking out upgrades

Hey guys! I'm looking to upgrade the following build with a $350 budget (can go to $400 if it makes a big enough difference)

My current build is as follows
    Graphics card - Radeon HD 7800
    CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4ghz
    RAM - 8gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    Mobo - Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    PSU is 750w
    It has a couple 500gb HDDs along with a 256gb SSD

My current thoughts were to replace the mobo, cpu and ram
    This is what I put together http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mg8byc
    Is this the best way to go about it? I'm planning on eventually replacing everything, I just don't have enough money right now to do it all at once
    I'm open to any suggestions on the best way to go about this! Thanks!
    Last edited by Sabence; 2016-10-05 at 12:21 PM.

If i were you i would buy a 2500k and motherboard from ebay, and a gtx 1060 3gb. I say 2500k because 3570k is going for 50% more in price, but does not come close to being 50% faster.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i...sAAOSwCGVX9J7l
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-P8P67-M...56643712&rt=nc

160 bucks you cant come close to that buying new. You can overclock 2500k's to be as fast or faster than skylake i5's. Motherboard has 30 day return and a 90 day warranty, CPU's ive never personally seen one die.

This is the GPU id buy:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/pKX2...rd-03g-p4-6162

Check craigslist too, sometimes you can find stellar deals if people dont know how much things are worth.

Deleted
    I might actually go for something like this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus B150 PRO GAMING/AURA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($71.15 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($40.88 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $309.91
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-05 10:27 EDT-0400

That is a sharp price for that mobo, but it is due to rebates and the promotional code.

And an extra question, what PSU do you currently have? Might be you need to replace that as well, if it is of poor quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    If i were you i would buy a 2500k and motherboard from ebay, and a gtx 1060 3gb. I say 2500k because 3570k is going for 50% more in price, but does not come close to being 50% faster.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i...sAAOSwCGVX9J7l
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-P8P67-M...56643712&rt=nc

160 bucks you cant come close to that buying new. You can overclock 2500k's to be as fast or faster than skylake i5's. Motherboard has 30 day return and a 90 day warranty, CPU's ive never personally seen one die.

This is the GPU id buy:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/pKX2...rd-03g-p4-6162

Check craigslist too, sometimes you can find stellar deals if people dont know how much things are worth.
    You know, thats not a half bad idea. A GPU upgrade at the same time would be amazing. Do others agree with going this route?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I might actually go for something like this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus B150 PRO GAMING/AURA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($71.15 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($40.88 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $309.91
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-05 10:27 EDT-0400

That is a sharp price for that mobo, but it is due to rebates and the promotional code.

And an extra question, what PSU do you currently have? Might be you need to replace that as well, if it is of poor quality.
    Appreciate the build
    My psu is Earthwatts 750w 80plus bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Sabence View Post
    Hey guys! I'm looking to upgrade the following build with a $350 budget (can go to $400 if it makes a big enough difference)

My current build is as follows
    Graphics card - Radeon HD 7800
    CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4ghz
    RAM - 8gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    Mobo - Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    PSU is 750w
    It has a couple 500gb HDDs along with a 256gb SSD

My current thoughts were to replace the mobo, cpu and ram
    This is what I put together http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mg8byc
    Is this the best way to go about it? I'm planning on eventually replacing everything, I just don't have enough money right now to do it all at once
    I'm open to any suggestions on the best way to go about this! Thanks!
    I don't really like buying used CPU, mobo, or GPU, particularly ones that were likely overclocked by other people. You really have no idea how long and how hard the previous owner has pushed it or the kind of duty cycle it went through.

Perhaps a lower end 100-series motherboard (H110/B150) with a cheap dual core Pentium that you could later drop a Kaby Lake chip into in a few months time.

Deleted
    Appreciate the build
    My psu is Earthwatts 750w 80plus bronze
    PSU should be fine to use for a while longer.

You know, thats not a half bad idea. A GPU upgrade at the same time would be amazing. Do others agree with going this route?
    I never recommend buying used, especially something as old as the 2500k. If I had bought one new and it was still running, I likely would not replace it. Buying one used from someone else is a completely different story. If you are going to upgrade, why get old tech? Your originally proposed build is last gen and the used idea is several generations old now. If going to upgrade, upgrade to new current gen stuff or just don't bother IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I never recommend buying used, especially something as old as the 2500k. If I had bought one new and it was still running, I likely would not replace it. Buying one used from someone else is a completely different story. If you are going to upgrade, why get old tech? Your originally proposed build is last gen and the used idea is several generations old now. If going to upgrade, upgrade to new current gen stuff or just don't bother IMO.
    Why? CPU's are one of the best components to buy used and the motherboard is only 60 bucks and comes with a 90 day warranty. A 4.5ghz 2500k is as fast (maybe faster, just a guess) as a i5-6500 skylake and the two used parts are nearly 50 dollars cheaper than just the 6500 by itself. Buying used intel CPU's is the best way to get into a cheap gaming rig, i stand by this 100%.

Edit: I actually underestimated the 2500k, i just ran cinebench (the best CPU benchmark to judge relative CPU power) and got 548 marks with my 4.2ghz 2500k. i5-6500 gets 519 marks, putting a 4.5ghz 2500k way above a stock clocked 6500. Actually a 4.5ghz 2500k would be above an i5-6600 as well (a 220 dollar CPU).
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-10-06 at 01:28 PM.

Why? CPU's are one of the best components to buy used and the motherboard is only 60 bucks and comes with a 90 day warranty. A 4.5ghz 2500k is as fast (maybe faster, just a guess) as a i5-6500 skylake and the two used parts are nearly 50 dollars cheaper than just the 6500 by itself. Buying used intel CPU's is the best way to get into a cheap gaming rig, i stand by this 100%.

Edit: I actually underestimated the 2500k, i just ran cinebench (the best CPU benchmark to judge relative CPU power) and got 548 marks with my 4.2ghz 2500k. i5-6500 gets 519 marks, putting a 4.5ghz 2500k way above a stock clocked 6500. Actually a 4.5ghz 2500k would be above an i5-6600 as well.
    Because it is used. You have no idea how much an an OC it was ran with, what temps it was run at, what volts were pushed through it. Sure, a 90-day warranty is fine and all, but new parts typically come with a 3-year warranty. What happens if it dies after 6-9 months because it was abused by the previous owner? Sure, it doesn't always happen, but it does happen. If you are comfortable buying used, that's fine, but I personally never recommend it and never buy used myself. Just personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Because it is used. You have no idea how much an an OC it was ran with, what temps it was run at, what volts were pushed through it. Sure, a 90-day warranty is fine and all, but new parts typically come with a 3-year warranty. What happens if it dies after 6-9 months because it was abused by the previous owner? Sure, it doesn't always happen, but it does happen. If you are comfortable buying used, that's fine, but I personally never recommend it and never buy used myself. Just personal preference.
    CPU's simply dont die, and the worry with used motherboards is they come DoA which is covered by the 30 day return policy and 90 day warranty in the one i linked. This guy has a small budget, instead of spreading out his upgrades i gave him an option where he could do everything in one go.

If you look through overclocking threads of sandy bridge on overclock . net you would find many many people who have sent 1.5v thru their CPU's since day 1 and are still running, sandy bridge are tanks.

CPU's simply dont die, and the worry with used motherboards is they come DoA which is covered by the 30 day return policy and 90 day warranty in the one i linked. This guy has a small budget, instead of spreading out his upgrades i gave him an option where he could do everything in one go.

If you look through overclocking threads of sandy bridge on overclock . net you would find many many people who have sent 1.5v thru their CPU's since day 1 and are still running, sandy bridge are tanks.
    They simply don't die eh?

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=255252
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=384549
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...00k-dying.html
    https://communities.intel.com/thread/27923

Just a few examples, the first one being a guy who bought a used one and it did not work. Again, just personal preference and something to be warned against. Anyone purchasing used equipment should know the risks and make the decision themselves. If you are fine with the risk, that's ok. When recommending to other people though, you should also make them aware of the risks, no matter how small.

I get it, you played the safe card to bolster your argument....way to go.

I on the other hand offered options for the OP that allow him to upgrade his PC in one go. The ebay seller has 100% positive rep, i took this into consideration before suggesting the part (of course).

Ive been building PC's for nearly 20 years, never have a seen a cpu die....ever. The first PC i ever built still works, athlon xp1600+.

I get it, you played the safe card to bolster your argument....way to go.

I on the other hand offered options for the OP that allow him to upgrade his PC in one go. The ebay seller has 100% positive rep, i took this into consideration before suggesting the part (of course).

Ive been building PC's for nearly 20 years, never have a seen a cpu die....ever. The first PC i ever built still works, athlon xp1600+.
    and I have been building PCs for 30 years and have seen more than a couple die, anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. It can and dos happen. You are right, it is kinda rare, but to say it never happens is wrong. It also may not happen right away, but especially when dealing with something you will be OCing, I'd prefer a 3-year warranty. Once again, this is my personal preference, if you are ok with it fine. However, when recommending to other people, it should at least be mentioned that it is a risk. People should not be told it is impossible for it to happen, because it does happen.