Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exclamation CBC-poll: Canadian millennials hold off on their love of country

There's a saying that Canadians don't know what they are but they know they aren't Americans. I don't know if that's what is going on here though.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...&ICID=ref_fark

According to the results of a national polling partnership between CBC and the Angus Reid Institute, those aged 18 to 34 have a much cooler relationship to Canada than older Canadians.

Overall, the majority of Canadians polled said they were proud of Canada. Those 65 and over were the most proud, with 65 per cent saying they were very proud of Canada.

However, pride diminished with the age of the respondents. The poll revealed that only 40 per cent of Canadians aged 18 to 34 said they were very proud of Canada.

"It's a stark finding, and one that certainly jumps out and isn't something we've seen before," said Shachi Kurl, executive director of the Angus Reid Institute.

One possible reason for this changing relationship, Kurl said, is that a global technological revolution has made this generation more globally connected in real time than any previous group.

"This is the first generation of watching movies or TV from other parts of the world. It's not just what they're reading from a local newspaper but consuming from the internet, from the pipeline of communication and information that's coming at them, and shaping their views and thoughts."

Trust issues

But this "pipeline of information" has profound consequences for how millennials think and act.

A clue lies in another key finding in the poll.

While the majority of people over 34 said the news media do a good job presenting the facts, 64 per cent of those 18 to 34 said the opposite — that most of the stories you see in the news can't be trusted.

Stuart Poyntz, a professor of communications at Simon Fraser University, said this distrust is part of growing up in a technologically saturated environment.

"It doesn't really matter what the issue, there is often a sense of skepticism, irony and wariness about lining oneself up behind any issue or concern firmly for fear that you're going to be duped … or you're going to look like you're too easy to manipulate." An important skill millennials have to learn in a world saturated with information, he said, is to differentiate between what is true and what is not.

This skepticism and distance extends to Canada itself.

Relationship status: it's complicated

For Erica Isomura, 24, being a proud Canadian is complicated.

Isomura is a fourth-generation Japanese- and Chinese-Canadian who works as a project co-ordinator for a Vancouver-based non-governmental organization, focusing on issues of inclusion and identity.

Many of her ancestors were not always afforded the same rights as other Canadian-born people. Her own connections to her heritage — whether through culture or language — have been diminished because of the desire of past generations to assimilate.

Erica Isomura, a fourth-generation Japanese- and Chinese-Canadian, says her generation is much more open to questioning dominant narratives about Canadian identity. (Kayla Isomura)

"I think within my parents, and I would even say my grandparent's generation, there was a much stronger urge to assimilate to kind of quote-unquote Canadian culture, which I think kind of mirrors Anglo-Saxon white Canadian culture."

Isomura doesn't feel the same.

After finding like-minded communities online and in university, she took an active interest in identity politics.

Many younger Canadians, she said, are skeptical of whole-heartedly embracing the Canadian state in light of its treatment of minorities, LGBT communities and other disadvantaged groups.

Her generation — bolstered by online communities and networks — is willing to reject the idea of one dominant Canadian culture and embrace multiple identities, she added.

It's a feeling that's reflected in the polling data.

For example, older generations are significantly more likely to say that minorities should make an effort to fit into Canadian society.

Millennials are not only less likely to say this, a majority — 53 per cent — feel that cultural diversity should be encouraged.

Everyone's got to make a living

But it's not just issues of identity politics that have millennials feeling wary — financial security is another key issue.

According to the survey, younger generations are more likely to say their attachment to Canada depends upon economic conditions than to say they love Canada for what it stands for.

"The relationship they feel to Canada is a much more practical one. They're much more inclined to say their attachment to Canada comes from a good standard of living," Kurl explained.

It's no surprise that millennials connect a good standard of living to issues of national identity.

Increased student debt, unaffordable housing in the major metro regions, paired with decreased job prospects — especially for those without post-secondary education — have created uncertainty and pessimism among young Canadians.

In such an uncertain financial and political climate, it would be strange for young Canadians to express enthusiastic displays of patriotism.

But uncertainty should not be confused for apathy.

Rather, it's the birth of a new generation's voice, determined to question, examine and fight until home becomes the place they want it to be.

The online survey was conducted in early September from a sample of 3,904 Canadians, and 1,131 people between 18 and 34 did the survey. The results have a 2.5 per cent margin of error 19 times out of 20.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Canada is America with better marketing.

Hubcap, did you come as a sort of reverse Tennis with this post?
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Nationalism serves little purpose, unless you willingly emigrated there.

I don't consider having been ejected from my mother's vagina within a particular set of borders much of an achievement or oath of loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

I don't consider having been ejected from my mother's vagina within a particular set of borders much of an achievement or oath of loyalty.
    Where else would a French Canadian go? Are you kin to the Caguns in Louisiana?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Where else would a French Canadian go? Are you kin to the Caguns in Louisiana?
    Nawh. Fuck the Cajuns, and honestly, us French Canadians can go fuck ourselves too.

Fuck the French from France especially. Buncha snooty pricks.

But you do enjoy the freedoms and rights of your country right?
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Millenials don't believe in anything.

They don't believe in the media.
    Don't believe in their country or what it stands for
    Don't believe in military or the good it does.
    Don't believe in the value of a family (wife and kids)
    Don't believe in corporations or even small businesses
    Don't believe in the value of a dollar or the value of a hard days work.

Does seem the only thing they believe in is that whitey is the devil and having a victim mentality.

Like it or not those set of borders you were born within had an enormous role in turning you into the person you are today.

It's a bit more than you're making it out to be.

Moreover, some cultures are just better than others. The set of borders you were born in could have been a set of borders where being gay was illegal, or speaking your mind was outlawed.

With all my flaws, I still like the person I've turned out to be and think my country is one of the best places to live. Nationalism, to a point, certainly serves a purpose. It can help keep great countries great.
    Last edited by Taneras; 2016-10-06 at 01:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    They're your rights to enjoy as a citizen regardless of how you feel about the country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Considering I don't live within my country of birth, what freedumbs they have over there impacts me very little. Canada can turn into a Totalitarian Technocracy for all I care.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post

Does seem the only thing they believe in is that whitey is the devil and having a victim mentality.
    I believe in a better tomorrow. It's just that that isn't really compatible with like half your list.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

10+ Year Old Account
    I blame that damn Kaepernick

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    I believe in a better tomorrow. It's just that that isn't really compatible with like half your list.
    Oh wow, so small businesses, two parent households participating in raising a child, and the value of money and hard work aren't compatible with a "better tomorrow"?

How old are you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems to be a pretty dumb list to be honest.

Oh wow, so small businesses, two parent households participating in raising a child, and the value of money and hard work aren't compatible with a "better tomorrow"?

How old are you?
    Even if you *work hard* You still do end up with not much at all.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Even if you *work hard* You still do end up with not much at all.
    Ah, well said. Being a hard worker really isn't a positive trait and something to hold in high regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Taneras View Post

How old are you?
    I was referring to the other half of the list, but okay go and get your panties in a bunch
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post

Very well put.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I was referring to the other half of the list, but okay go and get your panties in a bunch
    Sorry, I somehow read that as a critique saying that not even half was compatible with a better tomorrow. I thought at least half the list was solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Taneras View Post
    Ah, well said. Being a hard worker really isn't a positive trait and something to hold in high regards.
    You're being obtuse dude. From what I've get he is saying that "working hard" doesn't yield the same results as before. A sentiment I can agree with.