Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Until you are in a financial stable place or more, your child is a priority. You are responsible for him, if you need help with motiviation think about your child. All I have to offer really.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by KeirAdish View Post
    When the salary didn't pan out I left Sonny's behind, I was hourly manager making 10$ an hour.
    When I applied at Shane's they called me in, and offered me 11$ an hour as a cook.

Now I'm here.
    Have you thought about applying for management positions at a higher salary rate?

It might be rough but try and get a job in a hotel doing restaurant work for 6-12 months and work on transferring to a desk job. I didn't go to college and did restaurant work in hotels for about 10 years. I was able to transfer into purchasing from there and made my way into accounting. Now I'm a finance manager and doing quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Until you are in a financial stable place or more, your child is a priority. You are responsible for him, if you need help with motiviation think about your child. All I have to offer really.
    She is our priority, hence the skipping of meals etc to save money so as to ensure that she has food for every meal/snack she needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Have you thought about applying for management positions at a higher salary rate?
    I have, and fully plan to continue.
    A salary manager position tends to come with the perks of daily paperwork(I'm really good at daily numbers), which is ultimately rest time for my leg since its desk work.
    That helped a lot when I first started back after the accident, I was on doctor mandated 15 minute breaks every 2 hours, so instead of sitting doing nothing I timed all my paperwork for my "break" times so I was still being productive while off my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    It might be rough but try and get a job in a hotel doing restaurant work for 6-12 months and work on transferring to a desk job. I didn't go to college and did restaurant work in hotels for about 10 years. I was able to transfer into purchasing from there and made my way into accounting. Now I'm a finance manager and doing quite well.
    That could be an option, though I feel I would likely be more suited for either front desk(assuming they had a stool/chair.), or maintenance of some form due to the not being able to stand for extended periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    For short term cash you can look into donating plasma and sperm, that can net you a little bit of money if things are tight. You gf could also donate an egg, which can get a couple thousand dollars, but it requires surgery.
    That is no trivial matter and could result in very emotional consequences later.

She is our priority, hence the skipping of meals etc to save money so as to ensure that she has food for every meal/snack she needs.

A salary manager position tends to come with the perks of daily paperwork(I'm really good at daily numbers), which is ultimately rest time for my leg since its desk work.
    That helped a lot when I first started back after the accident, I was on doctor mandated 15 minute breaks every 2 hours, so instead of sitting doing nothing I timed all my paperwork for my "break" times so I was still being productive while off my feet.

That could be an option, though I feel I would likely be more suited for either front desk(assuming they had a stool/chair.), or maintenance of some form due to the not being able to stand for extended periods of time.
    If you're good at numbers then seriously consider accounting! Decent salary and a lot of job security, a couple of community college accounting classes will get you in the door. CPAs make well into six figures, with or without an MBA.

My undergrad is in finance, I feel like finance is a more precarious bet due to fewer available positions but is rewarding in its own right.

If you're good at numbers then seriously consider accounting! Decent salary and a lot of job security, a couple of community college accounting classes will get you in the door. CPAs make well into six figures, with or without an MBA.

My undergrad is in finance, I feel like finance is a more precarious bet due to fewer available positions but is rewarding in its own right.
    I'm good with daily numbers, like food cost, labor %, inventory amounts/orders etc.

I (obviously) don't know how well that would translate over to accounting, but I suppose it would pretty much just be a new spreadsheet with new numbers, I would just have to learn the differences.

So that could actually be a really good idea.

When the salary didn't pan out I left Sonny's behind, I was hourly manager making 10$ an hour.
    When I applied at Shane's they called me in, and offered me 11$ an hour as a cook.

Now I'm here.
    Out of desperation, could you work at McDonald's? You said your brother is decent at programming, could he send you money?

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Out of desperation, could you work at McDonald's? You said your brother is decent at programming, could he send you money?
    Brother is decent at programming, but moved on to Philosophy, spends all his money on things like his new 3,000$ computer and setup he built about 2 months ago.
    He doesn't like loaning money out to anyone.
    Though he has in the past to me on occasions when I needed just a little bit extra money over the years.

Edit: Also, no to McDonalds.
    The food legitimately makes me sick to my stomach just smelling it.
    Last couple times I tried eating it the smell made me gag, and then the actual food left me sick for the rest of the day.

I'm good with daily numbers, like food cost, labor %, inventory amounts/orders etc.

I (obviously) don't know how well that would translate over to accounting, but I suppose it would pretty much just be a new spreadsheet with new numbers, I would just have to learn the differences.

So that could actually be a really good idea.
    There's a system for entry and a chart of accounts, if you can find an accounting textbook at your local library it will give you a general idea as to what accounting is all about. Also some free courses online via Coursera, some offer certificates for a low amount of money if you're concerned about not being able to afford school off the bat (I'm not sure how seriously employers take these certificates, probably better than nothing).

https://www.coursera.org/courses?query=accounting

At the very least, watching the videos will give you a sense as to whether you'd enjoy the subject and/or prepare you somewhat for actual coursework.

You should check to see if there is any customer service call center jobs in your area. They might pay a little better. You would be working at a desk. A lot of them are entry level jobs. Say that you have a lot of customer service from working in restaurants. Try to avoid the ones that just expect you to sell stuff. If you think you might be good at bill collecting, you can make a lot of money if you are good at it but its hard to get people to pay. They are also always hiring for satellite TV installation for dish network and DirecTV. It will probably be better pay than restaurant work but it is long hours. You would have to work on your feet part of the time.

if your good with computers, could recommend you to At Home Advisor for Apple, good pay, they train you and such, may take abit to get you in but resumes with cover pages are always a plus =D

Plasma I could probably do for that little bit of extra cash, but isn't sperm a very small "payout"?
    Would you and your gf be ok knowing you have numerous children out there you may or may not meet? I know it's all fiction but in every movie I've seen, women only consider sperm from elite men. As such, would a bank take a fry cook's sperm?

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    *Turns into non-shitposting Bigzo*

You mention that you've worked in restaurants your entire life, right?

Well that doesn't mean you can't work elsewhere. Surely you have many experiences in customer service that you can stretch a bit on a resume. You even have experience in MANAGEMENT.

For the places you've applied to, do they ask for resumes/cover letters? Have you tried to sell the assets you've gained while working in restaurants?

I can TRY to help you with that.

How are your skills with Microsoft Office Software?

I can TRY to help you with that too. One of the perks of being a contract accountant is that I have access to a virtual library with all the information I could ever want. I can hook you up.

Brother is decent at programming, but moved on to Philosophy, spends all his money on things like his new 3,000$ computer and setup he built about 2 months ago.
    He doesn't like loaning money out to anyone.
    Though he has in the past to me on occasions when I needed just a little bit extra money over the years.
    He wouldn't help knowing you're skipping meals?

Edit: Also, no to McDonalds.
    The food legitimately makes me sick to my stomach just smelling it.
    Last couple times I tried eating it the smell made me gag, and then the actual food left me sick for the rest of the day.
    So you're not desperate and this is all exaggerated? You only want get rich quick schemes? You want food stamps but not a job? You're not there to eat or indulge, you're there to provide for your baby. You'd rather give blood?

Plasma I could probably do for that little bit of extra cash, but isn't sperm a very small "payout"?
    Last edited by dextersmith; 2016-10-06 at 12:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Optimization and automation for what exactly?
    Just anything in general?
    Yes, here is a places to look. If you are interviewing and learn enouph to drop names in an interview, you will impress:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_Six_Sigma
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishikawa_diagram
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_Whys

Just explore Wikipedia and then branch out as you understand more of it.
    Last edited by Felya; 2016-10-06 at 03:00 AM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's a system for entry and a chart of accounts, if you can find an accounting textbook at your local library it will give you a general idea as to what accounting is all about. Also some free courses online via Coursera, some offer certificates for a low amount of money if you're concerned about not being able to afford school off the bat (I'm not sure how seriously employers take these certificates, probably better than nothing).

https://www.coursera.org/courses?query=accounting

At the very least, watching the videos will give you a sense as to whether you'd enjoy the subject and/or prepare you somewhat for actual coursework.
    He doesn't eve need to go through Coursera.

I can GET him a textbook right now IF he wants one.

I just have to download it from my portal and email it to him.

(That is assuming he doesn't snitch o me or go full SJW on me after getting my first and last namae

As long as they will accommodate the need for a stool/chair front desk would be great. I'm not sure about maintenance, those guys do seem to be running around a lot though. Plus lifting and climbing up ladders may be rough.

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    *Turns into non-shitposting Bigzo*

You mention that you've worked in restaurants your entire life, right?

Well that doesn't mean you can't work elsewhere. Surely you have many experiences in customer service that you can stretch a bit on a resume. You even have experience in MANAGEMENT.

For the places you've applied to, do they ask for resumes/cover letters? Have you tried to sell the assets you've gained while working in restaurants?

I can TRY to help you with that.

How are your skills with Microsoft Office Software?

I can TRY to help you with that too. One of the perks of being a contract accountant is that I have access to a virtual library with all the information I could ever want. I can hook you up.
    I'm open to any and all advice, help, hints, anything and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    He wouldn't help knowing you're skipping meals?

So you're not desperate and this is all exaggerated? You only want get rich quick schemes? You want food stamps but not a job? You're not there to eat or indulge, you're there to provide for your baby. You'd rather give blood?
    Its possible, but the extent of that isn't exactly something we've made public with our family yet.
    We are kind of y'know... ashamed of it.

also, I don't know about you but most people I know that eat McDonalds would prefer their McDouble without a side of vomit.
    If I'm busy holding back my gag reflex for an entire shift, than chances are I'm going to barf on at least 1 order within my first week, at which point I'm out of a job. again.
    So yeah, desperate, but not stupid.

The post you quoted is literally me saying the smell makes me sick and you are going to equate not working there due to that as me not being desperate?
    I don't see how that has any basis in real logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Yes, here is a places to look. If you are interviewing and learn enouph to drop names in an interview, you will impress:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_Six_Sigma
    Awesome!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    He doesn't eve need to go through Coursera.

I can GET him a textbook right now IF he wants one.

I just have to download it from my portal and email it to him.

(That is assuming he doesn't snitch o me or go full SJW on me after getting my first and last namae
    Like I said previously(in this post), I'm willing to accept any kind of help, advice, hints, etc etc that anyone has to offer.
    If that kind of aide comes in the form of someone emailing me course material to help me learn, then that's what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    As long as they will accommodate the need for a stool/chair front desk would be great. I'm not sure about maintenance, those guys do seem to be running around a lot though. Plus lifting and climbing up ladders may be rough.

Heck, I could provide my own stool...
    I do have one sitting in my parents basement...
    (its more of some places prefer their people to stand instead of sit. supposedly it looks more "professionally ready".)

10+ Year Old Account
    I edited to add a couple of others that help. I am not kidding, follow what this song tells you

https://youtu.be/f3jdbFOidds
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi