WoW Online Auction House

Howdy all.

I've been working on an app in my spare time which is basically a quick auction house item viewer, and thought it may be useful for other players. The URL is http://www.wowauction.us

I built it because when I'm roaming around the world (of warcraft), I like to check the price of items on the AH before I disenchant, or to see which crafted item is selling better. Obviously going to the AH whenever you want to do this is a pain, so why not have a web app for it?

It's pretty simple and straight forward. Right now it supports both US and EU regions, but only the English language. If anyone has any feedback, I would love to hear it!

Cheers.

Deleted
    Antonidas-EU is missing

Thanks for the feedback! I've fixed the issue and it's on there now.

(editing as I go through)

Responsiveness is kinda messed up on smaller formats.

Realm select and feedback text go outside the main wrapper.

Make the home page input a true form.
    Code:
    $(".form).on("submit", function (e) {
    e.preventDefault();
    })
    Should work. Makes it so its a form, but doesnt take you to the action on submit.

It would be more helpful if you made it more apparent that the blue text at the bottom of each item was the seller.

Also, ux idea, sorry I'm just a stickler...What about only listing one instance of each item. For example, there are a few different line items of Fools Cap. Instead, only have one, but make each instance clickable and similar to the way TSM handles it(on click a list drops down of each buyer and the price they're selling at)
    Last edited by usiris; 2016-10-06 at 02:32 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Although yours looks a bit prettier, you know about http://www.wowuction.com/ right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thra View Post
    Although yours looks a bit prettier, you know about http://www.wowuction.com/ right?
    Monopolies in websites result in shit. Just look at YouTube and Facebook. It's a good thing if someone is making an alternative site, regardless of what we're talking about.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Monopolies in websites result in shit. Just look at YouTube and Facebook. It's a good thing if someone is making an alternative site, regardless of what we're talking about.
    This is true. Just wanted to make sure he is aware of the competition, as the original post sounded like it was a missing feature for the community. Plus comparing to WoWuction allows him to think of other features he may wish to add

Also, TradeskillMaster and Undermine Journal, if we're talking about online AH repositories.

Not like there isn't already a good bit of competition out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    This game isn't about your friends, though. This game is about taking it seriously enough that you do the hardest content no matter what it takes (transferring, etc), lasting friendships and other elements be damned. /s

Quote Originally Posted by usiris View Post
    (editing as I go through)

Responsiveness is kinda messed up on smaller formats.

Realm select and feedback text go outside the main wrapper.

Make the home page input a true form.

It would be more helpful if you made it more apparent that the blue text at the bottom of each item was the buyer.

Also, ux idea, sorry I'm just a stickler...What about only listing one instance of each item. For example, there are a few different line items of Fools Cap. Instead, only have one, but make each instance clickable and similar to the way TSM handles it(on click a list drops down of each buyer and the price they're selling at)
    Good call on the mobile issues, I've fixed those.
    The character name beneath the item is the seller, I'm planning on changing that up a little.
    I'll put some thought into that ux suggesion, thanks for all the feedback!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thra View Post
    I am aware of it, but after visiting the site for about 4 seconds I decided I hated it

- - - Updated - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by JemiS View Post
    Also, TradeskillMaster and Undermine Journal, if we're talking about online AH repositories.

Not like there isn't already a good bit of competition out there.
    Yea, I'm aware of TSM & Undermine Journal. I was aiming for something easy to use and direct, and it's just a fun project to work on
    Last edited by Khadys; 2016-10-06 at 02:29 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sweet as. Like I said, yours looks better visually.

7+ Year Old Account
    Isn't there already an App for Android regarding a wow online auction house? Maybe I missunderstood something.

The WoW Armory app lets you buy and sell on the AH, but I've had issues with that app. It will crash when I try to look at items, or it won't show the correct item level, etc. The biggest thing for me was looking at item details, when trying to buy a trinket - the prices would range from 6k - 99k but the Armory app said they were all the same item level with no bonuses. My site correctly shows different item levels, bonuses, etc.
    Last edited by Khadys; 2016-10-06 at 04:15 PM.

How often does your site update?

The usual issue with online AH sites is they can only update once per hour, as opposed to the constant updates of the Mobile Armor/Blizzard online AH.

Also, have you double checked that your site correctly displays bonuses?

My understanding was that it was an API limitation, and that if an item was posted from the web/mobile AH, the API won't list bonuses correctly no matter what.
    This game isn't about your friends, though. This game is about taking it seriously enough that you do the hardest content no matter what it takes (transferring, etc), lasting friendships and other elements be damned. /s

How often does your site update?

The usual issue with online AH sites is they can only update once per hour, as opposed to the constant updates of the Mobile Armor/Blizzard online AH.

Also, have you double checked that your site correctly displays bonuses?

My understanding was that it was an API limitation, and that if an item was posted from the web/mobile AH, the API won't list bonuses correctly no matter what.
    I get fresh auction data with every request. I can't speak to whether blizzard gives fresh data with each api call, but each request made to my app is a request to blizzards api.

I was checking the app with a trinket in-game, and the bonuses looked correct. If anyone noticed a discrepancy, I'll look into it.

IIRC, Blizzard's API only updates once per hour, so the data you're getting may or may not be in line with what is currently in the AH. That's why most of the other sites mark a time when the API was last updated- it lets users see if the data they're looking at is recent, or close to an hour old.

It's tricky to check bonuses, because the API issues depend not just on the item, but whether it was posted in game or on the web/mobile AH. Since the web/mobile AH always read an item as the "base" item with no bonuses (and also no down-scaled level) posting such an item from the web/mobile AH makes the API "read" it as that level, from what I can tell.

I've tested with TUJ and TSM, and if I take, say, a 759 Gortog's Serene Gaze and post it through the game, it shows up as 759 in their databases after the API call (although the mobile/web AH will always show it as 810). But if I cancel the auction on my phone, and post it again using the mobile AH, the next API update has me listed as the seller with the item being 810 through TUJ, TSM and the web/mobile AH.

Worth playing around with- I think it's an API limitation, but if you could get around that your site would be king, and save everyone tons of cash.

IIRC, Blizzard's API only updates once per hour, so the data you're getting may or may not be in line with what is currently in the AH. That's why most of the other sites mark a time when the API was last updated- it lets users see if the data they're looking at is recent, or close to an hour old.

It's tricky to check bonuses, because the API issues depend not just on the item, but whether it was posted in game or on the web/mobile AH. Since the web/mobile AH always read an item as the "base" item with no bonuses (and also no down-scaled level) posting such an item from the web/mobile AH makes the API "read" it as that level, from what I can tell.

I've tested with TUJ and TSM, and if I take, say, a 759 Gortog's Serene Gaze and post it through the game, it shows up as 759 in their databases after the API call (although the mobile/web AH will always show it as 810). But if I cancel the auction on my phone, and post it again using the mobile AH, the next API update has me listed as the seller with the item being 810 through TUJ, TSM and the web/mobile AH.

Worth playing around with- I think it's an API limitation, but if you could get around that your site would be king, and save everyone tons of cash.
    Ahh, interesting.. Blizz doesn't really seem to care about their API, so that's probably why issues such as those occur. I read a bit on the API docs and it sounds like they export AH data from the game DB to a DB that their API connects to. I'll do some testing and see what I can see..