Hey!

Recently I got a new computer with the following components:

i5 6600K
    Asus Z170-A
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666Mhz Vengeance
    Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
    be quiet! Pure Rock
    Corsair RM550x 550W

so I want to OC my cpu, but I don't want to risk going overboard or not getting the correct settings so I'm asking you for help. I don't really need a max OC, just a light-medium OC.

I suppose I'd need some CPU monitoring program and a way to stress test the CPU, if you know of any reliable softwares then that'd help as well!

Thanks in advance!

Deleted
    Asus should have an auto clocking tool in the BIOS afaik. Usually it asks what sort of cooling device you have and then it adjusts the core clock + voltage

I'm on the same boat, not much experience with OCing.

I used my mobo's auto overclock and went with the 4.2GHz option just to test and be safe.
    It all went fine until my WoW and sometimes even my desktop would freeze for 1-2 seconds from time to time. Annoying.

I've been warned before that those auto OC options are usually crap and they don't do a stable overclock but didn't want to believe.

Educate yourself or ask an expert/good friend to do it for best/most stable results.
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Asus should have an auto clocking tool in the BIOS afaik. Usually it asks what sort of cooling device you have and then it adjusts the core clock + voltage
    Yea I noticed that one. But it put a different clock on each CPU core and I wasn't sure if that was OK. Anyways, I enabled that option and then changed the core multiplier to 43 to get 4300Mhz on my CPU (i think), and with Real Temp my CPU temperatures is sitting around 35-45 degrees with World of Warcraft on. I'm not sure how reliable Real Temp is and if the temperatures is ok. I'm just sitting in dalaran so it's not during raiding or anything like that so during a stress test when load is 100% it might increase further.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheeya View Post
    Yea I noticed that one. But it put a different clock on each CPU core and I wasn't sure if that was OK. Anyways, I enabled that option and then changed the core multiplier to 43 to get 4300Mhz on my CPU (i think), and with Real Temp my CPU temperatures is sitting around 35-45 degrees with World of Warcraft on. I'm not sure how reliable Real Temp is and if the temperatures is ok. I'm just sitting in dalaran so it's not during raiding or anything like that so during a stress test when load is 100% it might increase further.
    Run something like Prime95 to stress test it, although the temps seems fine. To check clocks use a tool like CPU Z

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Run something like Prime95 to stress test it, although the temps seems fine. To check clocks use a tool like CPU Z
    During stress test temperatures were at ~75 degrees celsius max. Because of the automatic OC option enabled it overwrote my 43 multiplier so it's currently at 4.2Ghz according to CPU-Z.

How much temperatures does an OCed CPU usually reach during a stress test when it's considered acceptable?

And since Azurenys said the automatic OC option is pretty shit I should probably disable it and do it manually. What speed do you think is safe, and what should I do with the voltage options?

There also seems to be several different voltage options, could you tell me specifically which one is for the CPU, what it's called, so I don't accidentally change the voltage for something else?

Thanks in advance.

Deleted
    Hi there,

(I do not recommend automatic overclocks or software overclocks for the CPU)

Since you have the K version of the CPU it means you can change the multiplier on the bios.
    I dont know what CPU cooler you have, but if you are on AIR cooling then you must be careful when playing with voltages because more voltage equals to more heat.
    Overclocking a CPU is a silicon lottery thing. it means you can OC your CPU by lets say 800mhz and dont need to touch the VCORE (voltage) and if you're out of luck you can only OC it only 200mhz without touching the VCORE (voltage).

Use the software AIDA64 to stress test the processor and see if it is stable at that speed. keep in mind that this is a stress test and never in real world applications your processor will be stressed like this specially when you're just playing games. Use also the software Hardware monitor to keep track of your CPU temperatures. (i will link the webpage for both software in the bottom)

With that said, i would recommend you to go to your bios and only play with the multiplier for now. I think your processor has a base clock of 3.5ghz since it is the i5, so this means your default multiplier is 35x. Start by changing it to lets say 38x. this will result in your processor to get to 3.8ghz.
    Once you do the stress test for lets say 30 minutes and if the computer doesn't Blue screen while doing it, it means your OC is "stable" (30 minutes is not enough to be complete sure about this). Dont be afraid of BSOD (blue screen) they just mean your OC is not stable at this point and because ur not changing the VCORE there's no risk to fry your CPU.
    After the 1st test, you may want to go a bit further and if the previous multiplier test was stable change the multiplier to 39x and then 40x (3.9ghz and 4Ghz) or even higher if the stress tests are successful for every new speed you're trying.
    When the computer BSOD at any of this multiplier values, it means it reached his limit to run those speeds at the default VCORE value. To get this stable, you need to increase your VCORE with increments of 0.025v but i will only recommend this if you run your CPU with a water cooling loop or a good after market air cooler.
    In terms of temperatures, never go behond 80C. Actually if you go behond 75 its already time to start to either reduce the vcore value because the voltage is generating too much heat or change the cooling system to better one (something like the corsair h80 or h100i).

Software websites:

Aida64: aida64 . com / downloads
    Hardware Monitor: cpuid . com /softwares / hwmonitor.html

You don't need the PRO version in any of this software so don't bother installing the trials.

Please come back here and let me know if you still have doubts about this.

Good luck!
    Last edited by mmoc67c31f3128; 2016-10-06 at 10:50 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gameshowtime View Post
    Hi there,

Since you have the K version of the CPU it means you can change the multiplier on the bios.
    I dont know what CPU cooler you have, but if you are on AIR cooling then you must be careful when playing with voltages because more voltage equals to more heat.
    Overclocking a CPU is a silicon lottery thing. it means you can OC your CPU by lets say 800mhz and dont need to touch the VCORE (voltage) and if you're out of luck you can only OC it only 200mhz without touching the VCORE (voltage).

Use the software AIDA64 to stress test the processor and see if it is stable at that speed. keep in mind that this is a stress test and never in real world applications your processor will be stressed like this specially when you're just playing games. Use also the software Hardware monitor to keep track of your CPU temperatures. (i will link the webpage for both software in the bottom)

With that said, i would recommend you to go to your bios and only play with the multiplier for now. I think your processor has a base clock of 3.5ghz since it is the i5, so this means your default multiplier is 35x. Start by changing it to lets say 38x. this will result in your processor to get to 3.8ghz.
    Once you do the stress test for lets say 30 minutes and if the computer doesn't Blue screen while doing it, it means your OC is "stable" (30 minutes is not enough to be complete sure about this). Dont be afraid of BSOD (blue screen) they just mean your OC is not stable at this point and because ur not changing the VCORE there's no risk to fry your CPU.
    After the 1st test, you may wanto to go a bit further if it was stable so change multiplier to 39x and then 40x (3.9ghz and 4Ghz) or even higher if the stress tests are successful for every new speed you're trying.
    When the computer BSOD at any of this multiplier values, it means it reached his limit to run those speeds at the default VCORE value. To get this stable, you need to increase your VCORE with increments of 0.025v but i will only recommend this if you run your CPU with a water cooling loop or a good after market air cooler.
    In terms of temperatures, never go behond 80C. Actually if you go behond 75 its already time to start to either reduce the vcore value because the voltage is generating too much heat or change the cooling system to better one (something like the corsair h80 or h100i).

Software websites:

Aida64: aida64 . com / downloads
    Hardware Monitor: cpuid . com /softwares / hwmonitor.html

You don't need the PRO version in any of this software so don't bother installing the trials.

Please come back here and let me know if you still have doubts about this.

Good luck!
    Never go beyond 80C during stress test or just while playing?

edit: my cooler is "be quiet! Pure Rock"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheeya View Post
    Never go beyond 80C during stress test or just while playing?

edit: my cooler is "be quiet! Pure Rock"
    dont go behond 80C at any given time! but there's a chance u get to 80C faster using something like AIDA 64 which is the stress testing software than you will while playing a game. AIDA64 really stresses the processor to be used at 100% (all instructions and what not). Even if while playing a game you dont reach 80C but on AIDA u do, i always recommend to follow AIDA64 values and make sure it is stable with it under the correct temps values. If you're OK with the values in AIDA64 you will never have a problem while gaming or doing whatever in your PC. your PC will always be ready to whatever you throw at it.

To be honest with you, OC your CPU for gaming you wont get any BIG advantage in terms of FPS, but what i do recommend is since we bought the CPU and if you can extend the speed for it without touching the VCORE, why not? specially if you're lucky with the silicone lottery and you can lets say push it to 4.2ghz without touching the voltage

edit: sorry for all the bad English, when i start reading what i wrote i really feel bad, hahaha. i hope you understand it though.

- - - Updated - - -

Let us know your results. Im curious about it

I had mine running at 4.7GHZ with 1.3v and some alterations for the CPU ring as well. It's an old i7 4770K. I have a custom water loop so i was able to push the voltage. with aida running was getting 68C as max temp. Now i have it running at 4GHz without touch the vcore because i have no need to a 4.7ghz OC... and since i play WoW for so many hours, i want to keep my electrical bill as down as possible. but then again, i have my 2 780 graphic cards running at 1.2ghz with temps of 55C (both on the custom waterloop as well) while playing
    Last edited by mmoc67c31f3128; 2016-10-06 at 11:28 AM.

Deleted
    dont go behond 80C at any given time! but there's a chance u get to 80C faster using something like AIDA 64 which is the stress testing software than you will while playing a game. AIDA64 really stresses the processor to be used at 100% (all instructions and what not). Even if while playing a game you dont reach 80C but on AIDA u do, i always recommend to follow AIDA64 values and make sure it is stable with it under the correct temps values. If you're OK with the values in AIDA64 you will never have a problem while gaming or doing whatever in your PC. your PC will always be ready to whatever you throw at it.

To be honest with you, OC your CPU for gaming you wont get any BIG advantage in terms of FPS, but what i do recommend is since we bought the CPU and if you can extend the speed for it without touching the VCORE, why not? specially if you're lucky with the silicone lottery and you can lets say push it to 4.2ghz without touching the voltage

edit: sorry for all the bad English, when i start reading what i wrote i really feel bad, hahaha. i hope you understand it though.

- - - Updated - - -

Let us know your results. Im curious about it

I had mine running at 4.7GHZ with 1.3v and some alterations for the CPU ring as well. It's an old i7 4770K. I have a custom water loop so i was able to push the voltage. with aida running was getting 68C as max temp. Now i have it running at 4GHz without touch the vcore because i have no need to a 4.7ghz OC... and since i play WoW for so many hours, i want to keep my electrical bill as down as possible. but then again, i have my 2 780 graphic cards running at 1.2ghz with temps of 55C (both on the custom waterloop as well) while playing
    Keeping it at 4.0Ghz for now, will see if I turn it up more later.

Deleted
    I also have the 6600k, absolute belter of a chip.
    Soon as I got it, I knocked the multiplier up to 45 and didnt look back. I did however run a custom loop at the time, Currently on a h100i GTX and temps rarely hit above 40°c

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    I also have the 6600k, absolute belter of a chip.
    Soon as I got it, I knocked the multiplier up to 45 and didnt look back. I did however run a custom loop at the time, Currently on a h100i GTX and temps rarely hit above 40°c
    If you had ur CPU overclocked with an increased OC of 1000mhz (since the base clock for that CPU is 3.5ghz) without touching the VCORE, i can tell you that you are 1 in a million (if not more) lucky bastard. I do even find this hard to believe to be honest with you!
    You get 40C in iddle? must be

If you had ur CPU overclocked with an increased OC of 1000mhz (since the base clock for that CPU is 3.5ghz) without touching the VCORE, i can tell you that you are 1 in a million (if not more) lucky bastard. I do even find this hard to believe to be honest with you!
    Motherboards adjust the voltage up with clock speed, so he isnt on "stock volts".

Deleted
    Max temp after 12 hours, 51°c. Cpu Voltage 1.284. Didnt notice that the mobo adjusted the voltage :S
    edit - just checked the CPU-Z result.

Current Rank 4 on MMOC OC leaderboards. Here
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2016-10-06 at 12:59 PM.

Deleted
    your VCORE on the motherboard voltage in case you havent noticed is 1.7v... this is extremely high mate. you should consider have a look at this. Its only my advise here!
    Last edited by mmoc67c31f3128; 2016-10-06 at 01:17 PM.

Deleted
    Why can't people just use google and look for some guides on how to overclock a CPU... You will get a lot more info than someone just saying stuff here. That said, overclocking is quite simple.

Here is a guide, http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/s...ith-statistics

Deleted

Unhappy

I was just trying to help

Deleted
    Interesting thread for me. I got a i5 4690k and havent overclocked yet. Perhaps i will do it because i can
    I already got an scyte muguen4 aftermarket cooler, i think he will get it.
    One question... does overclocking shorten the lifetime of my cpu?

Quote Originally Posted by axiom View Post
    One question... does overclocking shorten the lifetime of my cpu?
    People have been running heavily OCed 2500ks for over 5 years and older CPUs for longer than that. I mean, yeah, it may shorten the life some, but were talking about shortening the life from 30 years to 20 years. By the time it would die, you'll likely have replaced it anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    I'm not sure there's anything definitive out there.. there are people who have a stable OC on CPUs for a decade or more, running 24/7.
    It's hard to determine the longevity of silicon and then also the detrimental affects of OC'ing, but I think it is safe to say that pumping more voltage than is recommended will probably reduce the lifespan of your CPU - by how much is unknown.

There's also undervolting, which is similar to OC'ing in a way, where one lowers the voltage on their CPU/GPU to reduce energy/heat but retain performance.
    I'd imagine there's probably less chances for things to go wrong in that scenario.

I've OC'd all my parts and I've honestly never had a CPU or GPU fail and at this point I have owned many of each.
    Thx for the info. I am very interested in overclocking )

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    People have been running heavily OCed 2500ks for over 5 years and older CPUs for longer than that. I mean, yeah, it may shorten the life some, but were talking about shortening the life from 30 years to 20 years. By the time it would die, you'll likely have replaced it anyway.
    Thx for the information