Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    Biggest difference personally is the ease in which you can customise it and move it. For some, the WA group isnt as easy to do that.

You can also see several spells ahead, IE the addon tells me to use LL, but the next spell in the queue is Frostbrand or something, you can make a decision to hold that LL for half a GCD whereas with the WA you dont get that forward planning.

---

Hekili, having an issue tonight using R237, sometimes the priority queue just goes all out of whack. Itll show me things that arent available for use, from memory it kept showing Frostbrand and LL as priority, when I had Stormbringer procs with enoigh MP, then it will feel like it catches back up with the game.

Kind of vague I know, but it was in the middle of raid so I couldnt stop of have a think about what went wrong.
    I noticed an issue with Boulderfist showing up first in recommendations when it had 0 charges available, and not showing a cooldown wheel. I'm investigating. Part of the fun of working on this kind of addon is finding out all the oddly coded special cases that Blizzard has put in. (For instance, I need to put in a workaround for range checking Boulderfist, since it will say it is in range when it is not.)

Two other significant errors were stomped this morning. 7.0.3.8 should be up for download.
    Author, Hekili, a priority helper addon.

You can also see several spells ahead, IE the addon tells me to use LL, but the next spell in the queue is Frostbrand or something, you can make a decision to hold that LL for half a GCD whereas with the WA you dont get that forward planning.
    Or you can customize WA to account for that and do the forward planning for you. If you have a good priority setup there's no need to change it.

I've been using the addon for a while now. Its awsome how fluid it works.

I saw that we can swap one of the displays from single target to automatic (aoe, cleave or single target). My question is, will I be penalized, in terms of dps, for not having both of the displays active and switch, the one that is, between single and automatic?

And if I leave it in automatic, will the dps be penalized aswell?

I just trying to maintain the UI as clean as possible while I dont lose any significant dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mallphas View Post
    I've been using the addon for a while now. Its awsome how fluid it works.

I saw that we can swap one of the displays from single target to automatic (aoe, cleave or single target). My question is, will I be penalized, in terms of dps, for not having both of the displays active and switch, the one that is, between single and automatic?

And if I leave it in automatic, will the dps be penalized aswell?

I just trying to maintain the UI as clean as possible while I dont lose any significant dps.
    Nah, it's a matter of preference, really.

The reason to have two displays sometimes, is that sometimes there's a fight where you need to focus on ST and avoid cleave. But that's less common now, and our ST and AOE action lists aren't that different, and we generally still want to use CL for single-target.

In a future update, I'll rename the single-target displays to "Primary" since they autoswitches by default.

Also, new update going out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vichnaiev View Post
    Or you can customize WA to account for that and do the forward planning for you. If you have a good priority setup there's no need to change it.
    Show me an example of a WA that emulates abilities and looks forward more than 1 GCD. Show me an example of a TMW setup that looks forward *at all.*

Here's another error I'm seeing with 7.0.3.9. It occurs upon log in with the addon enabled. It also opens a blank artifact window. Disabling and reenabling the addon while logged in does not repeat the error. Loading screens does not cause the error. Seems to only take place at log on.

Code:
    Message: ...e\AddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactUI.lua:41: attempt to compare number with nil
    Time: 10/06/16 13:01:32
    Count: 1
    Stack: ...e\AddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactUI.lua:41: in function `ArtifactUI_CanViewArtifact'
    ...ddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactPerks.lua:680: in function `EvaluateRelics'
    ...ddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactPerks.lua:541: in function <...ddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactPerks.lua:539>
    [C]: in function `SetShown'
    ...e\AddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactUI.lua:172: in function `SetTab'
    ...e\AddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactUI.lua:138: in function `EvaulateForgeState'
    ...e\AddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactUI.lua:70: in function <...e\AddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactUI.lua:67>
    [C]: in function `Show'
    Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:2336: in function `SetUIPanel'
    Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:2154: in function `ShowUIPanel'
    Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:2048: in function <Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:2044>
    [C]: in function `SetAttribute'
    Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:2830: in function `ShowUIPanel'
    Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:1466: in function <Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:891>

Locals: (*temporary) = nil
    (*temporary) = false
    (*temporary) = "attempt to compare number with nil"

Quote Originally Posted by Jonexe View Post
    Here's another error I'm seeing with 7.0.3.9. It occurs upon log in with the addon enabled. It also opens a blank artifact window. Disabling and reenabling the addon while logged in does not repeat the error. Loading screens does not cause the error. Seems to only take place at log on.

Code:
    Message: ...e\AddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactUI.lua:41: attempt to compare number with nil
    Time: 10/06/16 13:01:32
    Count: 1
    Stack: ...e\AddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactUI.lua:41: in function `ArtifactUI_CanViewArtifact'
    ...ddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactPerks.lua:680: in function `EvaluateRelics'
    ...ddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactPerks.lua:541: in function <...ddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactPerks.lua:539>
    [C]: in function `SetShown'
    ...e\AddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactUI.lua:172: in function `SetTab'
    ...e\AddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactUI.lua:138: in function `EvaulateForgeState'
    ...e\AddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactUI.lua:70: in function <...e\AddOns\Blizzard_ArtifactUI\Blizzard_ArtifactUI.lua:67>
    [C]: in function `Show'
    Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:2336: in function `SetUIPanel'
    Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:2154: in function `ShowUIPanel'
    Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:2048: in function <Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:2044>
    [C]: in function `SetAttribute'
    Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:2830: in function `ShowUIPanel'
    Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:1466: in function <Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:891>

Locals: (*temporary) = nil
    (*temporary) = false
    (*temporary) = "attempt to compare number with nil"
    check your items I bet you have an artifact item where you get the message requesting item information. this has nothing to do with hekili.
    you can try to delete the cache folder of wow and restart bnet client and wow. this helped me at least. they are working on a hotfix too.

http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/t...3312702?page=2
    http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/13686070091

Quote Originally Posted by Nebria View Post
    check your items I bet you have an artifact item where you get the message requesting item information. this has nothing to do with hekili.
    you can try to delete the cache folder of wow and restart bnet client and wow. this helped me at least. they are working on a hotfix too.

http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/t...3312702?page=2
    http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/13686070091
    I'll try these, but it only occurs with Hekili enabled, so it makes me think it is related. If I disable it I can log all day without issue.

I'll try these, but it only occurs with Hekili enabled, so it makes me think it is related. If I disable it I can log all day without issue.
    It's kinda "both."

The way addons get information about artifacts involves opening (and hiding) the artifact UI. The failure is located within the Blizzard API, however.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No matter how good your addon is, sometimes you need to make human judgments based on the encounter and positioning.

The benefit I find to Hekili rather than the WA i that the next 4 steps are laid out. Like I said, its a personal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hekili View Post
    It's kinda "both."

The way addons get information about artifacts involves opening (and hiding) the artifact UI. The failure is located within the Blizzard API, however.
    That makes sense.

Deleting the cache didn't fix it. I also don't have any "Retrieving Item Info" tooltip issues. I assume it's something that'll require Blizzard's hotfix.

Nah, it's a matter of preference, really.

The reason to have two displays sometimes, is that sometimes there's a fight where you need to focus on ST and avoid cleave. But that's less common now, and our ST and AOE action lists aren't that different, and we generally still want to use CL for single-target.

In a future update, I'll rename the single-target displays to "Primary" since they autoswitches by default.

Also, new update going out.
    Thats great to know. I'll leave one display in auto then.
    Thanks.

tested this and fps dropped from 120 to under 30

No matter how good your addon is, sometimes you need to make human judgments based on the encounter and positioning.

The benefit I find to Hekili rather than the WA i that the next 4 steps are laid out. Like I said, its a personal thing.
    I would love to have a REAL example of a situation where following the optimal rotation is not optimal. Could you elaborate?

- - - Updated - - -

Show me an example of a WA that emulates abilities and looks forward more than 1 GCD. Show me an example of a TMW setup that looks forward *at all.*
    Why would you even try to predict the next skill instead of INSTANTLY calculating the optimal skill to be used right now? Sounds to me that it only adds confusion. Like I said in the other topic, having 3 rotations: ST, AoE and "Save big cooldowns" should be more than enough. I don't think there's anything really relevant other than these 3 situations.

Quote Originally Posted by vipers View Post
    tested this and fps dropped from 120 to under 30
    Did you change any settings?

You can adjust how frequently it updates by using the "Updates Per Second" slider.

The more displays and steps that are visible, the more CPU intensive the addon will be. Based on some recent changes, you can probably run with a much lower update frequency, because it now forces an update after critical events (successful spellcast, resource gains, etc.).

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to have a REAL example of a situation where following the optimal rotation is not optimal. Could you elaborate?

- - - Updated - - -

Why would you even try to predict the next skill instead of INSTANTLY calculating the optimal skill to be used right now? Sounds to me that it only adds confusion. Like I said in the other topic, having 3 rotations: ST, AoE and "Save big cooldowns" should be more than enough. I don't think there's anything really relevant other than these 3 situations.
    Lets continue to use Lava Lash as the example. Lava Lash is quite low in the priority in comparison to something like Stormstrike. Hitting Lava Lash for example is not always the best thing to do, even though its the only thing up and you have 90 MP.

The Weak Aura does not predict what youre going to be hitting in the NEXT GCD.

So what you can be presented with is Stormstrike up in half a GCD. Lava Lash off CD and you have 90 MP. Weak Auras (to my knowledge) cannot look to the next GCD because the ability is not ready, you can have ability icons with timers on them, but it wont be a priority queue.

So you will press Lava Lash and thus delay Stormstrike because that is what the WA has determined that in this very moment, this is what is off CD and is the #1 priority.

When we look at things like Stormbringer procs it is very important to have MP for Stormstrike as well as keeping it on CD as early as possible to take advantage of the CD reset.

This is where having a little bit of foresight can be really beneficial, this is where Hekili is much better than a WA string.

Same could be said with Flametougue, Boulderfist and Frostbrand/Hailstorm we have three upkeep buffs that are very important to our damage. If you see FT for example on the 3rd or 4th priority you can mentally note 3 seconds ahead that im going to need to press that soon. Your muscle memory kicks in and you hit it instinctively because youve noted ahead of time its coming up. The Weak Aura is literally whack a mole, youll always be slightly behind someone who has planned their next few GCDs.

If you wanted a current real world example, Elerethe or any boss that has adds. Using Crash Lightning on CD might not be optimal if you know in 4 seconds adds are coming out. Youll want to hit CL as soon as you can to take advantage of the additional Stormstrike damage as well as the cleave. Not hitting the optimal rotation, becomes optimal through add damage.

If youre just using a WA string to tell you what is off CD and is your priorty at this very second, you arent planning ahead. You should always be thinking what is happening in 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds time. With a spec like Enhance that has 3 maint buffs, you really should get into that habit.
    Last edited by Murderdoll; 2016-10-06 at 01:32 PM.

That makes sense.

Deleting the cache didn't fix it. I also don't have any "Retrieving Item Info" tooltip issues. I assume it's something that'll require Blizzard's hotfix.
    This it at least how I got the error
    I also deleted the Blizzard folders in %ProgramData% and after some tries it fixed it self at some point.
    I had 2 artifact items without tool tip and I also had a legendary in guild new with that issue... after they worked the error was gone.
    It is possible that I have another add on that hooks into the dialog and when the api uses it to query some information this hooked ad don might also do some work and this had the issue with the items. I have a broker add on for artifact power that was a bit broken yesterday.

Lets continue to use Lava Lash as the example. Lava Lash is quite low in the priority in comparison to something like Stormstrike. Hitting Lava Lash for example is not always the best thing to do, even though its the only thing up and you have 90 MP.

The Weak Aura does not predict what youre going to be hitting in the NEXT GCD.

So what you can be presented with is Stormstrike up in half a GCD. Lava Lash off CD and you have 90 MP. Weak Auras (to my knowledge) cannot look to the next GCD because the ability is not ready, you can have ability icons with timers on them, but it wont be a priority queue, so you will press Lava Lash and thus delay Stormstrike because that is what the WA has determined that in this very moment, this is what is off CD and is the #1 priority.

When we look at things like Stormbringer procs it is very important to have MP for Stormstrike as well as keeping it on CD as early as possible to take advantage of the CD reset.

This is where having a little bit of foresight can be really beneficial, this is where Hekili is much better than a WA string.

Additionally, with Flametougue, Boulderfist and Frostbrand/Hailstorm we have three upkeep buffs that are very important to our damage. If you see FT for example on the 3rd or 4th priority you can mentally note 3 seconds ahead that im going to need to press that soon. Your muscle memory doesnt need to react to whack a mole of the WA string.

If you wanted a current real world example, Elerethe or any boss that has adds. Using Crash Lightning on CD might not be optimal if you know in 4 seconds adds are coming out. Youll want to hit CL as soon as you can to take advantage of the additional Stormstrike damage as well as the cleave. Not hitting the optimal rotation, becomes optimal through add damage.

If youre just using a WA string to tell you what is off CD and is your priorty at this very second, you arent planning ahead. You should always be thinking what is happening in 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds time. With a spec like Enhance that has 3 maint buffs, you really should get into that habit.
    Your logic makes sense, but your LL example can be easily set up. It's a simple condition SS cooldown > 0.5 secs (or whatever you GCD might be), maybe you get it wrong in 0,000001% of the cases because you have a trink haste proc and the GCD is smaller, but it's quite insignificant.

As for CL, CD is 6 seconds. Spiders take a few seconds to spawn and tank takes a while to group them together. If you pop CL right as the boss fades, it MIGHT proc SB and it's a gain, if it didn't proc you will have it up again when spiders are grouped up for sure.

As for muscle memory, GCDs are VERY long in this game, most of the time I'm smashing the key way before the GCD is ready.

Now let me make something clear, I LOVE what Hekili has done. I'm really fan of his work and his addon and also of all the help he provides in discord. It just boils down to preference. For me, particularly, I prefer to put a huge effort in planning and optimizing the TMW profile and less effort in the execution. For the me the UI has to be clean and precise and I think that laying down the rotation is confusing. Also, if anybody says something here that somehow my TMW does not currently predict I will put effort into making sure it does.
    Last edited by vichnaiev; 2016-10-06 at 01:34 PM.

Immunity phases, range issues, adds that blow up when they die (so they are to be killed one-by-one rather than simultaneously), etc. Waiting for enemies to be tanked far enough apart to avoid a mechanic. Casting Healing Surge on yourself because your healers ran out of range. Any "run away, little girl" moment.

Why would you even try to predict the next skill instead of INSTANTLY calculating the optimal skill to be used right now? Sounds to me that it only adds confusion.
    That's a false dichotomy. It's not choosing between instantly calculating the optimal skill to be used right now and predicting the next skill(s). It does both.

With regard to looking forward, it lets you look ahead and not spend your time tunneling a single icon if you're prone to such behavior.

With regard to calculating the optimal skill to be used right now*, this addon does so even better than you'd think it does, because the way it works compared to other priority recommendation tools is superior. It looks at what you should do when you can do something, rather than what you should do now (when maybe you can't do anything yet).

Because "right now" involves having the GCD active 99.7% of the time. WA and TMW look at "right now" when deciding whether an icon is shown or not. (That's good for things like "is this debuff on me?" or "how much time remains on X?" But less good for "what should I do later?" when "later" is defined as when the GCD expires.)

Let's say you have a TMW meta group that reflects our optimal action priority list. Pretty high in that list, you'll have an entry for Frostbrand, assuming you have Hailstorm talented and the criteria for Frostbrand is "show this icon if the buff will fall off within 1 GCD."

You've just used an ability, because you are always casting because you're a good player and you're aiming for 100% active time. So you're on GCD, and with your haste your GCD lasts 1.25 seconds. We'll say 0.05 seconds have passed and your TMW icon/list is updating. Assuming your TMW icon checks uptime based on the actual GCD (calculated with haste factored in and that you didn't just set up that icon as "Buff Duration < 1.5s"), and your Frostbrand time remaining is 2.3 seconds (completely arbitrary, for this example), here's what your TMW display is going to do:

1. For the next 1.051 seconds, TMW is going to hide your Frostbrand icon. The remaining time on Frostbrand is greater than or equal to the GCD in duration.
    2. At the 1.051 second mark, TMW is going to switch to showing your Frostbrand icon. This is because Frostbrand's time remaining is now just under 1.25 seconds.
    3. However, depending on latency and what your threshold is set for in your client, you may have already mashed whatever was previously recommended before Frostbrand showed up.
    4. Even if you switched to mashing Frostbrand in the remaining 0.149s of the GCD, you may have cast something else, and Frostbrand now drops off before your next GCD.

Now consider that your action list has criteria involving cooldown time remaining, buff/debuff time remaining, stacks, amount of resources you have, and other considerations -- all these can change between "now" and when you can actually use the ability.

That means your optimal action may not pass the tests required to show it until even the instant that the GCD is up and the ability is ready, even though you technically could've known that it *will* be the best ability available at that time. Worse, your alternate system was likely telling you something else would be optimal, even though its criteria actually fail by the time you can push the button.

Immunity phases, range issues, adds that blow up when they die (so they are to be killed one-by-one rather than simultaneously), etc. Waiting for enemies to be tanked far enough apart to avoid a mechanic. Casting Healing Surge on yourself because your healers ran out of range. Any "run away, little girl" moment.
    Everything you mentioned is not all related to the optimal DPS priority, why bring immunity up in a DPS discussion? Why bring healing in a DPS discussion? You can't DPS immune targets, so you won't be DPSing ...

That means your optimal action may not pass the tests required to show it until even the instant that the GCD is up and the ability is ready, even though you technically could've known that it *will* be the best ability available at that time. Worse, your alternate system was likely telling you something else would be optimal, even though its criteria actually fail by the time you can push the button.
    Now, because of this, I stand corrected. You obviously have a way deeper understanding on how TMW/WA works than I do. I will try to download and understand how to customize your addon to my preferences and use it instead of TMW.

Deleted
    After Yday update (7.0.3.11) enha rotation seems screwed up badly...

some example is that it suggest me CL realy early in single target rotation before FT/FB without them be up or delay them alot for no reason
    Last edited by mmoc770ecfcd9d; 2016-10-11 at 02:26 PM.