Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Quite possibly stupid question: if hunters were picking just one spec for everything

Yes, I realize that in practice this isn't going to happen, not with WoW making spec switching so easy and practical. But as I watch the parallel discussions about which spec does best in which situations, I got to wondering: people with more experience/clues, if you had to pick just one spec to do everything, which would it be? The underlying question, I guess, is how you'd set your priorities.

Marksmanship > Beast Mastery > Survival.

Am in the general ballpark reading that as valuing being best set for raiding and okay at dungeons?

Deleted
    Beast Mastery / Survival > Marksman

Can't pick between BM/SV since they are both fun to play.
    I won't play MM until they change stuff, especially Sidewinders (MM is way to boring in it's current state (imo) and Sidewinders is a bad joke).

My priorities:
    Fun playstyle > DPS
    Last edited by mmocff63c623ab; 2016-10-06 at 02:14 PM. Reason: forgot a space

Quote Originally Posted by Dayeh View Post
    Beast Mastery / Survival > Marksman

Can't pick between BM/SV since they are both fun to play.
    I won't play MM until they change stuff, especially Sidewinders (MM is way to boring in it's current state (imo) and Sidewinders is a bad joke).

My priorities:
    Fun playstyle > DPS
    Why bring a subjective opinion to a fact fight?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azortharion View Post
    Why bring a subjective opinion to a fact fight?
    I didn't?

the question was:

"if you had to pick just one spec to do everything, which would it be?"

and then:
    The underlying question, I guess, is how you'd set your priorities.

My priorities isn't which is best but which is fun to play.

Why would you play a spec when you hate it? Might as well not play if you are not enjoying it.
    Last edited by mmocff63c623ab; 2016-10-06 at 02:36 PM. Reason: added some stuff + fixed some things

While OP didn't explicitly say that he was looking for information on what was best, I am pretty sure that's what he was looking for given the nature of his second question. He also talks about what specs are "best", not what Dayeh on the MMO-Champion thinks has the most fun playstyle.

So can we at least agree that your subjective opinion on what spec has the most fun playstyle did not actually help/seek to answer OP's question, with the reasonable assumption made that OP was looking to hear what spec was the best if you could only pick one of them for all endgame situations?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombria View Post
    Am in the general ballpark reading that as valuing being best set for raiding and okay at dungeons?
    That is called MM

Mythic+-> BM
    WQ -> BM
    PVP -> BM
    Raids -> MM

The thing is MM does better in Mythic+ than BM at raids and since WQ are mostly irrelevant (its more important your "travelling art" than anything) and you look like not giving a fuck about PVP.

Well...that MM.Now be aware in general terms MM is a not well accepted spec in Mythic+ mostly because the burden of every hunter that does not understand barrage in on your shoulders.If you are not pugging this is mostly irrelevant and ,in fact, got nothing to do with the spec but with players minds.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is something wrong with MM imo. I play it. I raid with it.

Single target something is "off" or badly designed. I cannot put my finger on it.

But the Proc-based damage system for MM leaves you hanging at times. And if RNG is not good - you are left hanging a lot in dead space.

No LnL proc for first minute of boss fight? Ouch, you won't "catch up" on the meters until Execute range and then its probably too late.

Going to almost 2 full charges of Sidewinders and still no Marked Shot proc? Ouch, well at least you'll get a Vulnerable off Windshot--but man it feels crappy. And the damage of Windburst feels low to me. Very underwhelming when you think of what Hati gives BM for dps.

Bad luck on procs during Trueshot Aura? Ouch, good luck with that fight. Get ready to be "talked" too by raid leader when logs are reviewed.

Like I said -- MM is my priority spec, but any fight without adds or fights where RNG is pretty bad towards you -- it just feels off DPS wise.

And I'm hesitate to even bring up Noxxic's DPS Rankings, but man its horrible seeing MM dead last on that list - even behind Frost DKs. Ouch.

Meanwhile BM has received I think 3 buffs since launch - while MM has had one nerf - Barrage. Not sure I understand what Blizz is thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Optio82 View Post
    Meanwhile BM has received I think 3 buffs since launch - while MM has had one nerf - Barrage. Not sure I understand what Blizz is thinking.
    Patchwerk sim data aside, there is no actual data showing that MM hunters are doing bad in raids. In fact, MM hunters are doing so well that its one of two best ranged specs in the game at the moment (the other being fire mage). That's what Blizzard is thinking.

meh MM is the defacto winner yada yada. Its boring as heck to play about as engaging as being a prot warrior tank. The spec reduces you to praying to the rng gods cause without LnL up front your in catchup mode. However the numbers dont lie I run em both and my MM spec (less total AP in the weapon) will out dps my BM spec every time on boss fights. So like the rest of the lemmings i go jump off the MM cliff cause reasons....

But in my humble opinion, movement ease and just all kinds of goofie things that you can do all while running in a circle like your hair is on fire play BM. That is if the group wont just whine about how your not playing the top rated cookie cutter spec that we are supposed to be playing.

wanna make MM fun give me a way to proc LnL not just a chance give me a way to do it perhaps crit chance on white swings 80% chance to proc. Give me a number i can actually chew on and gear for. Not what i am doing now before each pull sacrificing my mechanical chicken pet and read the entrails like some damn fire mage.. oh and that whole standing still to "cast" an arrow. ugh.

but the sims dont lie and sadly neither do my zonewides....

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arturos View Post
    Give me a number i can actually chew on and gear for. Not what i am doing now before each pull sacrificing my mechanical chicken pet and read the entrails like some damn fire mage..
    LMAO, thanks for that

While OP didn't explicitly say that he was looking for information on what was best, I am pretty sure that's what he was looking for given the nature of his second question. He also talks about what specs are "best", not what Dayeh on the MMO-Champion thinks has the most fun playstyle.

So can we at least agree that your subjective opinion on what spec has the most fun playstyle did not actually help/seek to answer OP's question, with the reasonable assumption made that OP was looking to hear what spec was the best if you could only pick one of them for all endgame situations?
    I think you should re-read OP and stop trying to speak for him. It is obvious that OP wants people's personal opinions. Look at his closing language and the super obvious social hints such as "I guess, is how you'd set your priorities."

Work in the fact he is asking a nonsensical question that would never actually apply and it is obvious OP is generating discussion and wants to see arguments for / against different specs up to and including "I play this spec because I like it."

Now back on point: I would choose BM hunter for my single allowed spec. A large portion of my time is spent soloing world content, doing dungeons, assisting my wife do old content / world content, and a smaller portion is raiding. I like to be effective at each activity, and BM provides what I need. I am not raiding at a super high level so being even 10% below MM would not negatively impact my opinion of it. In Mythic+ dungeons BM performs even closer to MM. In world content / old content BM provides superior burst and control with the pet and is a clear winner.

Realistic answer: Choose your spec solely based on what you care to perform best at.
    Last edited by Skul; 2016-10-06 at 03:49 PM.

Yes, I realize that in practice this isn't going to happen, not with WoW making spec switching so easy and practical. But as I watch the parallel discussions about which spec does best in which situations, I got to wondering: people with more experience/clues, if you had to pick just one spec to do everything, which would it be? The underlying question, I guess, is how you'd set your priorities.
    To me it reads like he wants to know what the best all-rounder spec is, that's why he's referencing discussions he's read about that subject, and he wants people with clues - people that know stuff, not just people with opinions.

To me it reads like he wants to know what the best all-rounder spec is, that's why he's referencing discussions he's read about that subject, and he wants people with clues - people that know stuff, not just people with opinions.
    Good point. In that case it is a pretty clear consensus but still leads to different specs based on different "main focus."

10+ Year Old Account
    I've often wondered what it's like to think I am the "know all" of any hunter question. That being said, I read it as he wanted opinions. I like BM....don't give a crap if they aren't "the best" "top dps of the class" or whatever. Play what you like, what you're comfortable with and what you have "fun" with....screw what anyone else thinks. Just my 2 cents.

Deleted
    OMG stop this shit about what the OP wanted or hinted to want or would have wanted to hint. He said it explicitly:

HERE
    ->
    Best set for raiding and ok at dungeons... where the duck is the ambiguous part?
    He want to know the best spec for raiding and want to know if that best spec is ok at dungeons.

Thats all.The answer is MM ...theres no discussion theres no "Read between lines".

MM.Period.

You guys really like to discuss

10+ Year Old Account
    if this was was still MoP, i would pick beast mastery, survival close second. if this was still cataclysm, marksmanship. however, since this is legion, and hunters (especially BM) feel completely gutted, almost as if they are designed to be played with a controller, i would either reroll to a healer or feral druid. or just play another MMO.

this is not based on DPS, purely playstyle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Patchwerk sim data aside, there is no actual data showing that MM hunters are doing bad in raids. In fact, MM hunters are doing so well that its one of two best ranged specs in the game at the moment (the other being fire mage). That's what Blizzard is thinking.
    I don't think so. SP less geared out-shine MM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arturos View Post
    meh MM is the defacto winner yada yada. Its boring as heck to play about as engaging as being a prot warrior tank. The spec reduces you to praying to the rng gods cause without LnL up front your in catchup mode. However the numbers dont lie I run em both and my MM spec (less total AP in the weapon) will out dps my BM spec every time on boss fights. So like the rest of the lemmings i go jump off the MM cliff cause reasons....

But in my humble opinion, movement ease and just all kinds of goofie things that you can do all while running in a circle like your hair is on fire play BM. That is if the group wont just whine about how your not playing the top rated cookie cutter spec that we are supposed to be playing.

wanna make MM fun give me a way to proc LnL not just a chance give me a way to do it perhaps crit chance on white swings 80% chance to proc. Give me a number i can actually chew on and gear for. Not what i am doing now before each pull sacrificing my mechanical chicken pet and read the entrails like some damn fire mage.. oh and that whole standing still to "cast" an arrow. ugh.

but the sims dont lie and sadly neither do my zonewides....
    In what wacky mirror universe version of WoW is MM more boring than BM?