Poll: Should Blizzard have implemented legendaries differently?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Honestly, non-weapon Legendaries were never fun. Maybe a legendary Helm would do the trick.

Still, the system needs to go back to the roots, where legendaries weren't just a burden, holding you down if you didn't have one. They were supposed to be a reward for being the best of the best in the game, a mark of a great player. Seeing a player with one should be a thing you tell your friends about, not something like "that other friggin mage in group was doing more DPS than me only because he was lucky with legendary". Right now I really can't see the reason behind the system, seems just like an afterthought more than anything else.
    It was never about being the best of the best as a player. It was simply about being in a guild which was good enough to do meaningful progression. Its the same entitled mindset that it isn't good enough for me to have bis gear, but I need to have an item which will make everyone else stand around in awe of me because I am so special and so leet. rng legendaries are not breaking the game or anything of the sort. If you don't have one yet its not ruining the game for you either. Its simply a way for more casual players to obtain cool items. Eventually everyone will have one and the people who love to whine will just cry about not having the one they wish they had.

Deleted
    The legendaries as RNG are ok-ish but I think they shouldn't have been introduced as legendaries. Maybe minor artifacts? I've always loved the idea of a legendary being after a long quest chain with some high-end tasks thrown in and it looks like we might not be seeing that.

In a nutshell: Legion legendaries should've been minor artifacts (maybe with no talent tree). Legendaries should've been another seperate mechanic.

I personally love how so many have stated that "Legendaries should NEVER be given based on RNG" and then state that the system in MoP and WoD were horrible and prefer the systems from earlier expansions. Honestly, WotLK and Cata were the only 2 expansions that were both non-RNG and "not for everyone", but were still mostly achievable if you simply raided. The first group of Legendaries were all RNG based. Thunderfury and Sulfuras both required RNG drops to start the quest. Thoridal and the Warglaives were straight RNG drops from a boss. Ati'esh required an RNG drop in AQ40, I believe it was (it's been a long time and hardly anyone ever got it, so I am having a brain fart about if the one item was guaranteed to drop or not).

There has never been a legendary that was truly "skill based only". And to be honest, the color of the items hasn't meant shit with regards to rarity in ages. The color of the items (its so-called "rarity" level) is only important with regards to the power of that items. Epics, in and of themselves, are not that rare, but they are more powerful. Legendaries are more powerful still, but not that rare anymore. It isn't the same system as it was when purples were rare and legendaries almost unheard of. Treating it as such or acting as it is the same is a problem with you, not the system.

That said, I do think Blizzard should have verified the drop system/bad luck prevention system was working properly long before allowing legendaries to drop. The fact that certain people got lucky once and the system that should have helped those who weren't as lucky actually gave a huge boost in luck to those who were already lucky is a bit of an issue. The system itself isn't terrible, considering most specs only have a couple legendaries out of the 10 or so that can drop that are actually good.

I think a good way they could go about it is this:

Make the less game changing legendaries (Example: the neck that shields you) obtainable by RNG that way even non competitive players can get something cool.

Make the good legendaries that alter a spec's playstyle and drastically increase their performance obtainable by non-RNG skill gaps such as certain difficulty boss drops or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by 92isurlachatte View Post
    right, but what are you suggesting then? Change the people?

The only way to change 5 millions players is... to adjust variables or whole mechanics. Always get back to the stick & the carrot.
    No. Learned Behavior is doable. Teaching players to accept mechanics just takes time. In this case, you need to stick to it, and tell players that it's RNG. Many games have rare items as RNG drops.

Don't change the game to fit 5 million twat piece of shit kids. Otherwise, we'd just be handing this shit out for free.

Quote Originally Posted by tehdef View Post
    The problem with Legendaries isn't with the items, it is the shit mentality of the players who demand that they have one, or feel like their game is ruined because they don't.

Legendaries are a SICK bonus and a cool moment, or at least they should be. They shouldn't be a cause for people to get nasty, angry, complain, etc because they don't have one.

This is supposed to be a game about fun, and playing the have and have nots game is stupid.

I don't have a legendary. Does it suck? I guess. But I don't care. I still try to have fun with the classes I play.

PS: Skewed poll is skewed. Put an option for "It's fine, I'm being a big whiney baby."
    And the fun is taken away when you can't compete against others.

The system should never have been in the game and needs to be removed as soon as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Legendaries are cool. The implementation is bad.

A better idea would have been to implement legendary questlines for each legendary and make players choose 2 at max to pursue.

Legendaries are a SICK bonus and a cool moment, or at least they should be. They shouldn't be a cause for people to get nasty, angry, complain, etc because they don't have one.
    But when legendaries are handed out for free to so many players, and grant a huge power boost, they feel less like a bonus and more like a requirement.

Just look at how many groups in WoD were only inviting people who had the legendary ring.

Deleted
    The problem with Legendaries isn't with the items, it is the shit mentality of the players who demand that they have one, or feel like their game is ruined because they don't.
    they are tho because they were advertised as a big feature and not being able to enjoy such a big feature is pissing people off. The RNG thing doesnt make sure that you will get one eventually. Atm you may never see a legendary drop. Thus you may be severely handicapped in progressing with your character, and might even be kickvoted from raids due to not being competitive. And like it or not, some builds feel like they are designed with a legendary in mind. where they are kinda meh without, they start to shine when the leg is equipped. And that sucks.

This is not diablo3 where I can kill 10k mobs in 1 hr on torment x and loot y legendaries. This is an MMO, and the legendary grind is far more time consuming yet less forgiving. and D3's safety net works in contrast to WoW's

Most powerful gear in the game are to be found... In a junk box. Such immersion. Such game development.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaulty View Post
    Most powerful gear in the game are to be found... In a junk box. Such immersion. Such game development.
    Orb of deception was one of my favorite toys in TBC. Dropped from a Kobold in a mine. Best part about an adventure, you never know what you will find... or where you will find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Also, which period are you talking about?
    Because I cannot remember a single period in WoW where they were hard to obtain AND took time AND had cool looks/effects.
    The closest we've ever gotten was Vanilla.

Sulfuras had to be crafted from very rare drops and would take a lot of time AND RNG to earn. Very cool looks, even if the effect is not the coolest or best.

Thunderfury was even worse, since it had two super-rare (and distinct) drops that had to be obtained. it has a great look and at the time, one of the best procs in the game.

Atiesh, well, it's probably the rarest legendary weapon in the game because it was CRAZY hard to get. The hardest dungeon ever made at that time (and removed after only one expansion had passed before it could even be easily farmed, unlike the two above), huge amount of random pieces, challenging quests. The whole shebang. Plus it had super useful auras and a unique teleport.

And of course, the ultra-rare Talisman of Binding Shard just doesn't fit in this category, although it technically counts as a vanilla legendary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion Fan View Post
    I think gating legendaries behind the content actually seen by 2% of the playerbase has its pros and cons. Vanilla Legendaries were RNG and there were no complaints. The only people complaining these days are the snowflakes who want to earn them via uber-mythic elitism, or the overly entitled who feel everyone should get one. Legendaries are less like trophies and more like lottery tickets. Good luck with getting the winning numbers.
    They implemented some cool questlines to get legendaries weapons in legion, they could perfectly have done the same thing for legendaries armor and accessories.The RNG thing with legendaries in legion is sheer laziness on blizzard's side.

I personally love how so many have stated that "Legendaries should NEVER be given based on RNG" and then state that the system in MoP and WoD were horrible and prefer the systems from earlier expansions.
    The system in MoP was just horrible on the parts which required to drop items from raids (which was... RNG based and time gated, and people complained about both the RNG factor and the time gating). Also, in vanilla, people complained about ... the RNG factor tied to the drop of bindings in MC. In BC, people complained about ... the RNG factor in dropping the glaives.

I've never seen anyone in 12 years of wow asking for easy legendaries, I ve only seen people asking for a fair system (as in WOTLK or cataclysm).

Because I cannot remember a single period in WoW where they were hard to obtain AND took time AND had cool looks/effects.
    WOTLK (2 weapons) and cataclysm (2 weapons) ? As a tarecgosa owner the questline was long, cool, had some challenging (which had both solo content and raid content, and even a specific raid encounter) parts and the looks/effects sure were cool.
    Last edited by mmoc18e6a734ba; 2016-10-06 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    The legendaries as RNG are ok-ish but I think they shouldn't have been introduced as legendaries. Maybe minor artifacts? I've always loved the idea of a legendary being after a long quest chain with some high-end tasks thrown in and it looks like we might not be seeing that.

In a nutshell: Legion legendaries should've been minor artifacts (maybe with no talent tree). Legendaries should've been another seperate mechanic.
    Hows that anything different than a name change?

- - - Updated - - -

Why isn't it possible that the owner of an original item would store it in a junk box?

This is supposed to be a game about fun, and playing the have and have nots game is stupid.

I don't have a legendary. Does it suck? I guess. But I don't care. I still try to have fun with the classes I play.

PS: Skewed poll is skewed. Put an option for "It's fine, I'm being a big whiney baby."

Except some classes are broken with them(or without however you want to look at it) Like the belt for shadow priests for example. It makes it possible to stay in voidform for almost a minute longer than without it when playing surrender to madness. It makes it so your voidbolt and MB don't lose any globals because they come off CD at the same time, you can take shadow insight and have zero dps loss when you get procs. The belt gives you a HUGE dps gain overall, and you will tower over other priests that don't have it.

I don't mind that legendaries are in the game, but they should be something to progress towards... not RNG to get the item you need and possibly not have the entire expansion.

I'm pretty happy with legs because they trigger all those who always bullshit this forum about vanilla and tbc, rng legs are what legs used to be an exclusive reward and you must be pretty happy blizzard give you those high chance to drop from different sources; if they put them back as bosses only drop, guilds and pugs drama queens would have popped all over the forum again.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should have implemented RNG cosmetics only.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Why isn't it possible that the owner of an original item would store it in a junk box?
    It's lazy story development. Here's this ultra awesome item, retrieved by kicking squirrels.

Such a shame. Welfare legendaries.

Jealousy is strong with this one.

Umm its really not that strange of an idea. Some of the most powerful items get "lost" at some point and end up in strange places.

Just look at Tolkein
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps