Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    stuff hits hard enough +5 and up that you can't always save people from themselves; that's something you just have to make your peace with.

I dunno why people wouldn't enjoy it though; it's a different challenge from raid healing but it's fun, and it feels really good to pull a group through a mis-pull or other circumstance they didn't really mean to get into

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    The issue I have with mythic+ atm as a healer is that there are far too many deaths that are just impossible for the healer to mitigate. Warrior blows CDs on a Skittish pack? Dies in a global. I feel like shit for it.
    you feel like shit because the warrior was a fucking idiot? blowing all cds with skittish affix he's asking for aggro and to die, this is exactly what is supposed to happen, there is no pro healer who is supposed to keep him alive, he's doing it wrong and the result is as expected.

you play with morons you'll have a hard time healing them.

Quote Originally Posted by 7empest View Post
    Not a wine thread, simply a question preceded by my own experience (or rather, 2 hours of wasted time).

So I just had quite a stressful 2 hours and a solid 1000g repair bill in Eye of Azshara, played a 852 resto shaman and the timer was long gone before we even reached the third boss, we never took down the final boss, so no loot, after 20 wipes you have to admit defeat.

As we progressed at a snails pace I got more and more fed up with the actual role I was playing, seeing the bars drop from 100% to 40% in under 2 seconds and just barely keeping people alive if you do manage a boss kill and the frustrating feeling of apathetic dps when they dont use DM's and subsequently a wipe occurs. Now the last part isn't exactly fair is it? But when you are doing everything within your means, employing your entire toolkit and you can't keep the group afloat then where is the fun to be had? Commence the blame game.

Sure this is the entire nature of mythic plus, designed to halt your progress eventually even if you're geared for it, it is a team effort after all and one sub-optimally-performing player can end it right there. But right now my armpits are moist, my head is throbbing and I was evaluating the healer role in this particular form of content.

TL;DR

I'm having quite the bit of fun as a DPS in Mythic plus, who isn't? But when I healed in this content I just felt stress and nothing ever felt satisfying, so my question to you, the full-time healers is: How are you experiencing mythic plus content and how do you experience the amount of pressure that is being put especially on healers in comparison to every other role in the group?

I am aware the experience differs between pug's and guild groups, especially the level of success, but I'm purely asking from an enjoyment standpoint. Also no need to call me out on anything written above, my own feelings by no means represent the healer player-base at large therefore pls refrain from "get geared" "find a good team" "stop sucking" "what is the purpose of this thread?" and so on, cheers.
    Had it both ways. Sailed through a +5 with a group where honestly I messed up once (but then again others messed up at times, we still got the timer) and healing was a joke, especially on all bosses except for Boss 2 in VoTW, even Cordana was not very bad. Eye boss and golem were honestly hilarious, I dps'ed for a good portion of the fight. These guys knew their classes, played them to the hilt, and knew the mechanics. They did not stand in bad, they knew the fights, and they understood the affix (sanguine, honestly didn't even notice it was there, probably the easiest one to deal with so far that I've seen).

Then I've been in groups on normal Mythic and +2 where it was honestly just terrible, health bars dropping like crazy, popping CD's as soon as they were up just to keep the group up, the whole nine yards, feeling like I was carrying people that had no business being there.

It really comes down to the overall competence of your group. I firmly believe that gear is a crutch - to a point. People I know IRL and play with complained that it was because their gear was only 830 and it was "so hard" - well, no, it was hard because you stood in everything bad, didn't know the fight mechanics, and haven't taken the time to understand both the content you're attempting and the class you're playing. But, IRL, so you just smile and nod, "it's just a game man no biggie". But I'm tasting that saltiness as I say it.

People CAN do well with mediocre to okay gear - if they know what they're doing. If they do not, they will suck. Gear just makes failing mechanics less of an issue depending on the content. And it's getting old to hear people that are 835-840 say that their DPS is not on point because of "gear".
    Last edited by Zodd; 2016-10-07 at 01:32 AM.

This is the exact reason I heal raids, tank mythic+. I find most DPS are A) heavily used to the healer covering there mistakes from lower content, B) not used to interrupting/stuns, and C) literally don't even know many fight mechanics because the mechanics are ignore able or go back to point A so they never learned it. This doesn't even bring into account the myriads of DPS who do just garbage numbers (almost all of which have the above problems) which greatly extend fights allowing for a higher chance of mistakes or enemy spell casts etc.

I have also found the number of groups trying to "2 or 3 chest" dungeons mostly have NO CLUE what they are talking about. Pretty much every group that says that has obtained 1 chest, rarely 2 unless voice was involved, never 3. Getting 3 chests mostly requires a ton of setup (knowing what your group can handle with multi-pulls and consumables) that no pug can truly do. This +2/+3 mentality is already annoying as a pug tank, let alone pug healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvaren7 View Post
    This is the exact reason I heal raids, tank mythic+. I find most DPS are A) heavily used to the healer covering there mistakes from lower content, B) not used to interrupting/stuns, and C) literally don't even know many fight mechanics because the mechanics are ignore able or go back to point A so they never learned it. This doesn't even bring into account the myriads of DPS who do just garbage numbers (almost all of which have the above problems) which greatly extend fights allowing for a higher chance of mistakes or enemy spell casts etc.

I have also found the number of groups trying to "2 or 3 chest" dungeons mostly have NO CLUE what they are talking about. Pretty much every group that says that has obtained 1 chest, rarely 2 unless voice was involved, never 3. Getting 3 chests mostly requires a ton of setup (knowing what your group can handle with multi-pulls and consumables) that no pug can truly do. This +2/+3 mentality is already annoying as a pug tank, let alone pug healing.
    I've literally made these groups within 10minutes using the group finder this week (as a dps even), and we've maybe failed 3 chest once in 70 runs (full pug groups no voice com).
    Check out my youtube channel for levelling guides, ancient mana farming spots, mage PoV guides and more!
    Aesthi - Ravencrest EU

I play a paladin and holy is my off off spec. 13 Traits, 870 ilvl, enchants and gems are bad for holy. I felt like healing a 7 BRH with Teeming and Skittish was about the limit of what I could do comfortably. I could do higher but it would be a struggle, and I question if a group could complete 10 Tyrannical with me healing if it was a difficult dungeon.

Helps a lot if everyone knows the mechanics. Especially on trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    To be honest, in a good group, which doesn't necessarily imply guild group, the healers role is probably the easiest of the party, certainly at high levels, 9-12 (haven't done higher, but I can't see that changing).
    Haha, just no.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's definitely a lot more frantic than anything I've ever done before as a healer. Even the +2 to +4s are frantic because we are going for the 3 chest timers which means super fast pace. Have a window of seconds to drink while tank pulls new pack.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prejumpton View Post
    Healing is definitely not fun in this expansion (read it: less fun than in previous expansions). Blizzard should really add dmg modifier for dps, like was suggested in one similar thread - stand in shit, -10% dmg reduction stacking every second or interuptible cast goes through, group wide -5% dmg reduction. etc.
    THAT would be amazing. A lot of dps would become much better players, much more quickly, if there were a dps penalty attached to being stupid/lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by aesthir View Post
    I've literally made these groups within 10minutes using the group finder this week (as a dps even), and we've maybe failed 3 chest once in 70 runs (full pug groups no voice com).
    You are 3 chesting +4 or higher dungeons all the time in pure pugs? Your server must have access to amazing players constantly or something else is going on. On my server, at least since the first reset after the initial M+ week, the majority of +2/+3 chest "advertised groups" are +4 or higher dungeons, as the few dozen carry groups just eat up the +2/+3 dungeon keys. I would say many, maybe half or so, of the +2/+3 groups I have joined are made by someone who was carried in the previous weeks and is now attempting to get carried again without advertising that fact and it becomes quite clear when they are pulling 150K DPS max.

In bad runs, the healer's life is hell.

In good runs, its cake.

There's little middle ground, sadly.

I usually spend most of my time healing +7's looking at my second monitor. Healing a +6 while posting this.

Healing is the most stressful role no doubt. It requires good communication with the tank and that often does not happen in pugs. Hell, even in guild groups communication of CD usage doesn't happen as often as I'd like when I heal.

However, if you are having trouble with +5 and beyond, the answer is likely gear or CD usage.
    Don't forget, the entire dungeon is basically one long encounter. You should be using your CDs in a rotation as often as possible. If you have something up for every pull, you should never fall behind, and should be able to get plenty of globals of DPS in.

It also takes practice knowing when and where to do what.

Its all based on experience though, and to some degree gear.

No matter how skilled and experience you are, if you are undergeared you will struggle in higher + levels.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Mythic+ will one again demonstrate that difficult content is a micro-minority interest, but the devs will learn nothing.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    I almost quit healing 3 times already, past expansions it was easy for a healer to carry the group, now in legion is impossible, the damage X take if he/she fail is overwhelming, its mind blowing how bad the current generation are at this game, the amount of people that don't interrupt is over the roof, people that don't use cds on trash is so high, im sounding like a retard but i really doubt some dps put their defensive cds on bar let alone use it, it's treally stressful as a healer now, it's dumb that a +5 can be easy then a +2, i hope blizz start to put some consequence in game for bad tank/dps as im tired for ''wtf healer'' and im doing 300k HPS in that pull, some times i wish my old buddies start this game again, while finding a guild is really easy, to manage to enter in their small group of active and good players is the hard part

If I didn't run out of mana so fast, I'd enjoy it a bit more

But in general it's pretty shitty. Feels like literally everything is balanced on the backs of healers.

Quote Originally Posted by prejumpton View Post
    Healing is definitely not fun in this expansion (read it: less fun than in previous expansions). Blizzard should really add dmg modifier for dps, like was suggested in one similar thread - stand in shit, -10% dmg reduction stacking every second or interuptible cast goes through, group wide -5% dmg reduction. etc.
    We asked for this in a big topic during the Cata beta and they told us no, because it would make DPS unfun, basically. You exist as you do so DPS can be mindless. Just remember that.

They can't even get the triage shit right they promise us every single expansion.
    Last edited by Snackwiches; 2016-10-09 at 02:52 AM.

I've been having a blast healing mythic + as a resto shaman and I feel I have an excellent toolkit of cooldowns to do it. Damage can be spikey but I have no problem keeping people up. Until I got to +9 wrath of azshara in EoA. That felt like the first hard item level check I've experienced, and every mechanic is a one shot if you slip up even once. Plus the normal damage output drops people so fast if your not rolling a cool down at all times it's a wipe so it's a race to get the boss to zero. I also felt like there was more waves and tornados etc but that could have been my imagination. This was at 855-860 avg group I level. Was a traumatic experience. The rest of the instance was easy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Healing is the most stressful role no doubt. It requires good communication with the tank and that often does not happen in pugs. Hell, even in guild groups communication of CD usage doesn't happen as often as I'd like when I heal.

However, if you are having trouble with +5 and beyond, the answer is likely gear or CD usage.
    Don't forget, the entire dungeon is basically one long encounter. You should be using your CDs in a rotation as often as possible. If you have something up for every pull, you should never fall behind, and should be able to get plenty of globals of DPS in.

It also takes practice knowing when and where to do what.

Its all based on experience though, and to some degree gear.

No matter how skilled and experience you are, if you are undergeared you will struggle in higher + levels.
    I have played mythic + up to level 10 each week. Mostly as tank, but sometimes as healer (paladin).
    I have no clue how you can experience healer the most "stressful role". Tanking is WAY harder imo. If you get one-shotted it is the tank's fault for not using proper CD's to mitigate incoming damage, or failed a mechanic, didn't interrupt a specific cast etc.

I think most healers should try to broaden their views and play as other roles in harder difficulties. If the tank or others are getting one-shotted it's never the healers fault. The real hard part with mythic + is how to handle the bigger packs. And as a healer, you have minimal impact here.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
    I have played mythic + up to level 10 each week. Mostly as tank, but sometimes as healer (paladin).
    I have no clue how you can experience healer the most "stressful role". Tanking is WAY harder imo. If you get one-shotted it is the tank's fault for not using proper CD's to mitigate incoming damage, or failed a mechanic, didn't interrupt a specific cast etc.

I think most healers should try to broaden their views and play as other roles in harder difficulties. If the tank or others are getting one-shotted it's never the healers fault. The real hard part with mythic + is how to handle the bigger packs. And as a healer, you have minimal impact here.
    Tanking as a paladin stressful? That kinda discredits you mate. While I agree healing is pretty relaxing for me it comes extremely natural to me and I can play any healer very well.
    My FC is 1177 - 6552 - 9842 PM with yours if you add.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilthresa View Post
    Tanking as a paladin stressful? That kinda discredits you mate. While I agree healing is pretty relaxing for me it comes extremely natural to me and I can play any healer very well.
    I said it is "harder" to tank. I'm personally not getting stressed by it, but I feel like my "skill" or input to the group is way more affected if I choose the tanking role versus healing.

But well, if anyone is getting stressed by playing a tank then Paladins will be in the top because of their spiky damage taken (compared to other tanks). Your whole statement totally discredits you, pal.