Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    My apologies. Your experience in the 1700's really gives you perspective. Oh wait, you can go to Boston and New York and still see white segregation. Get out of your basement.

I wouldn't be surprised if you have much experience around minorities. Assimilation happens regardless. You expect 20 and 30 year old refugees to quickly assimilate? That's not going to happen. Older people stick with what they're familiar with. The sad part is that most of them should assimilate so they can exploit the general population instead of sticking to their own.
    I actually am hispanic. My grandparents came here as adults speaking Spanish, and learned English so they could live here. They also expected my father to do well in school so that he could exploit the country as you put it (and I agree with that sentiment). This was close to 100 years ago now though. I wouldn't expect people to think they have to work for anything in this day in age.

And the massive immigration to this country started about 140 years ago, not 300.

Quote Originally Posted by BannedForViews View Post
    On the surface it means to be yourself. Eagles be eagle and crows crows. Do not waste your time trying to be what you are not. Accept who you are and be proud of it.
    The actual use of Eagle and Crow can be interpreted to mean something about their nature as well. We think of Eagles as majestic and proud. They are at the top of the Avian hierarchy. Crows are near the bottom, feasting on the sorrows of others (scavenging corpses). Why would a majestic able creature like the eagle wish to learn to feast on sorrow like the crow does?

If you are good, continue to be so, and do not waste your worrying about those who are negative, and view life through such a lens. You are not bettered by catering to the lowest common denominator.
    But eagles scavenge as well. And if everyone stayed what they are the only life on the planet would be one celled organisms.

more OT: Can anyone really be mad about cultural appropriation when unless you're from an island that hasn't had contact with the rest of the world or you've time traveled from before the age of exploration to the present day, your culture is made of from shit from other cultures.

I actually am hispanic. My grandparents came here as adults speaking Spanish, and learned English so they could live here. They also expected my father to do well in school so that he could exploit the country as you put it (and I agree with that sentiment). This was close to 100 years ago now though. I wouldn't expect people to think they have to work for anything in this day in age.

And the massive immigration to this country started about 140 years ago, not 300.
    So, how about those fabled Europeans you claim assimilate? You ignoring that? As for your work comment, less passive aggression and get to it. If you're insinuating that I'm saying people shouldn't work, you couldn't be further from the truth and I'd have to wonder where you got that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    But eagles scavenge as well. And if everyone stayed what they are the only life on the planet would be one celled organisms.

more OT: Can anyone really be mad about cultural appropriation when unless you're from an island that hasn't had contact with the rest of the world or you've time traveled from before the age of exploration to the present day, your culture is made of from shit from other cultures.
    Way to take "be yourself" so literally, that it isn't even possible. Also eagles are not "scavengers". All animals are opportunistic about food (humans are also animals). That doesn't define their eating habits.

- - - Updated - - -

So, how about those fabled Europeans you claim assimilate? You ignoring that? As for your work comment, less passive aggression and get to it. If you're insinuating that I'm saying people shouldn't work, you couldn't be further from the truth and I'd have to wonder where you got that idea.
    I wasn't insinuating anything about what you were saying. Don't be so sensitive.

There's a line somewhere you shouldn't cross when it comes to different cultures, but I don't think eating tacos counts.

Way to take "be yourself" so literally, that it isn't even possible. Also eagles are not "scavengers". All animals are opportunistic about food (humans are also animals). That doesn't define their eating habits.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't insinuating anything about what you were saying. Don't be so sensitive.
    So, how about those fabled Euros that came and assimilated? Continue where we were going. Why do they have pockets everywhere still?

What you are saying is that she, a girl, cannot assault him, a boy, because sexism.
    I... what... I'm a man... i never said anything about sexism. You're inferring things that aren't there Mr. Law Student.

I'm sorry i didn't look up the "legal definition" of assault, but any normal person wouldn't look at that and call it assault. She was not threatening him verbally or making any threatening gestures, she just wanted him to stay and talk.

He's also not cornered unless he magically just walks through a wall at the end of the video.

And once again, I DO NOT AGREE WITH HER ACTIONS. WHAT SHE DID WAS WRONG. Just to make it perfectly clear to you guys before you go claiming i said something i didn't say again.

Thats my point, life is change. Just because your a white artist doesn't mean you should only draw comic books if you enjoy manga.
    Google if eagles are scavengers. Also Crows are seen as intelligent and tool users.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomac View Post
    I... what... I'm a man... i never said anything about sexism. You're inferring things that aren't there Mr. Law Student.
    That's basically all there is to these threads. People inferring things they made up in their mind, then attacking others based on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I can't see how that can be racist, at all. I mean, some of your examples actually show that the person values that culture (ex.: I don't think anyone from KKK would have an african-themed dinner with dishes from Africa).

And then, every group in the world that isn't super isolated (and some that are) have appropriated "white" culture as well.

i think it is pretty silly, cultures borrow from each other all the time, and it helps them grow. in some cases i can understand (for ex, cornrows being praised as "edgy" on white models and viewed as "ghetto" on black models. but most of it is fairly harmless imo.

So, how about those fabled Euros that came and assimilated? Continue where we were going. Why do they have pockets everywhere still?
    You mean all those Irish people who only speak irish and shun everything that isn't culturally irish? Or you mean those Cubans in Miami who think they still live in Havana.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tomac View Post

I'm sorry i didn't look up the "legal definition" of assault, but any normal person wouldn't look at that and call it assault. She was not threatening him verbally or making any threatening gestures, she just wanted him to stay and talk.

He's also not cornered unless he magically just walks through a wall at the end of the video.

And once again, I DO NOT AGREE WITH HER ACTIONS. WHAT SHE DID WAS WRONG. Just to make it perfectly clear to you guys before you go claiming i said something i didn't say again.
    He was "surrounded" by 2 black people, accosting him over his hair. When he tried to leave, he was grabbed and restrained from doing so. Assume he was a girl and they were men, and your opinion of the situation would change.

It's not... That's pretty much it, really. Most sane, rational people are more than happy to share their culture.

Now, being a dick is bad, of course. If you're being rude, racist, or offensive about it, that's just being a dick. And, oddly enough, attacking people for "appropriating culture" falls quite squarely into that category.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

I will note that less white girls get dreadlocks than black women get their hair weaves to look long and straight.

And let's be serious here, only Rachel Dolezal is trying to appropriate black culture.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2016-10-07 at 01:39 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The funniest thing I find about retards that use the term "Cultural appropriation" is no one ever complains when other races uses things created by Caucasians, yet if a white person enjoys something of another races "OMFG YOU RACIST APPROPIATOR!!!".

Also you constantly hear people on the left saying that Cultures should accept one another and things should be diverse, but then Slam White folks who start to enjoy things from other Cultures.

It is the most backwards retarded nonsensical bullshit, but completely expected from the regressive left.

You mean all those Irish people who only speak irish and shun everything that isn't culturally irish? Or you mean those Cubans in Miami who think they still live in Havana.
    I mentioned New York and Boston for a reason. Don't try to play it down to simply the Irish. I really do suggest you get out more. Any big city has their Little Italy, Slavic District, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how people who are against it square the fact that NA culture is basically all appropriation...

so i just looked up what it means and the definition itself seems harmless

but then it shows a picture of a minstrel show

google is sending me mixed signals here

It's because...quite frankly there are too many people trained to do little other than activism - and they don't want to go after difficult issues that may force them to go out on a limb, so they basically go looking for things to be offended by and drama to stir up which creates a pushback, which gives them work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post

That's kind of iffy though.

It's one thing to think of something. It's another entirely to mass produce and sell it.

You don't immediately get the rights to the latter just because you did the former.
    I don't really disagree at all, I never got on board with the idea of cultural appropriation even in it's true form. I live by the idea that culture is to be shared not huddled away and treated like the one ring.