Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Mechanical keyboards

Well good morning all. I reviewed the web and everywhere I read there was the same benefit for mechanical key is increased responsiveness. So except feeling and accuracy does that mean that gcd's actually engage faster and therefore at the end of the day you may gain 2-3 abilities more per fight let's say??
    That assumes that you are a competent player. If you are crappy then yes the keyboard won't make any difference.

Thanks for you replies on this

If you are a competent player it wont matter, because you are queing up spells in advance any way...
    Its just advertisement.

I am a PC gamer since 15 years or so, I have bought my mechanical keyboard this year, and will never again use the 'normal' ones.

I am a menace to my own destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Rale89 View Post
    If you are a competent player it wont matter, because you are queing up spells in advance any way...
    Its just advertisement.
    There's also the matter that you can't press 3+ keys at once on normal keyboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnaar View Post
    There's also the matter that you can't press 3+ keys at once on normal keyboards.
    Moreover even if you have planned it you have to press it. Hence if the responsiveness is faster then the gcd's start faster on mechanical. Simple as that in theory and due to some fast calculations I made this means 3-4 abilities even more per fight due to less time being gcd'd.

Quote Originally Posted by ErothTV View Post
    I am a PC gamer since 15 years or so, I have bought my mechanical keyboard this year, and will never again use the 'normal' ones.
    Arent mechanical keyboards normal? Even my first pc came with mechanical keyboard in 90's.... still working fine.

Deleted
    I bought a filco majestouch from thekeyboardcompany about 5 years ago I think and I dredd having to go back to rubber-keys or so. The quality holds up, it still looks new after all these years and I doubt I'll have to replace it any time soon. You won't become a better wow player, but you'll enjoy tapping the keys more and it feels overall better to use. Make sure you look into what colour of switches you want (I personally went with brown and am very happy)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grishnaar View Post
    A switch is a switch. Has nothing to do with whether it's a membrane or mechanical keyboard.

Personally I type fastest (~120 wpm) on an Apple keyboard, but some people have a strong preference for mechanical. I don't, because I have a couple decades of clicky keyboards under my belt from back in the day, and I'm over it. Also I prefer not to make a ton of noise while typing.

i'am too used to the tactile sensation. Even the non mechanical one's i buy usually have faux ones in to mimic the feel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinaki View Post
    Well good morning all. I reviewed the web and everywhere I read there was the same benefit for mechanical key is increased responsiveness. So except feeling and accuracy does that mean that gcd's actually engage faster and therefore at the end of the day you may gain 2-3 abilities more per fight let's say??
    That assumes that you are a competent player. If you are crappy then yes the keyboard won't make any difference.

Thanks for you replies on this
    You won't gain ANY competitive advantage using a mechanical keyboard in WoW. You should be spamming the fuck out of all your abilities regardless of your keyboard. You literally won't even gain .0001 of an extra spell cast using one.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    A switch is a switch. Has nothing to do with whether it's a membrane or mechanical keyboard.

Personally I type fastest (~120 wpm) on an Apple keyboard, but some people have a strong preference for mechanical. I don't, because I have a couple decades of clicky keyboards under my belt from back in the day, and I'm over it. Also I prefer not to make a ton of noise while typing.
    Sorry, I guess my lack of keyboard knowledge shows xD

I thought by mechanical, people meant like everything, including the 3+ keys part (is it anti ghosting or something like that? crap, can't remember)

10+ Year Old Account
    People are missing the point, you don't buy mechanical keyboard so you can fire off abilities 3 milliseconds faster, but so that your typing and button pressing will be less stressful for your fingers over time.

The way mechanical keyboards work is that actual key press is registered before the key is bottomed out, the effect of this is that, unlike in membrane keyboards, you do not need to bottom out the key and have your fingers hit hard surface, which is uncomfortable and even painful if done over a long period of time.

That is why people who get mechanical keyboards say they don't want to use anything else anymore, not because they supposedly can fire abilities faster, but simply because it is a much more pleasant typing experience.

Deleted
    You should also grab a pair of these yellow gaming glasses, I'm sure they help you too.. what are they called again... Gunnar-glasses, yaa damn right, they are The Expendables glasses /s

For gaming, mechanical keyboards are freaking useless, seriously. It's all in your head.
    I could see them being more comfortable if you really type and type and type the whole day, but for gaming? Naw~~
    (and no, pressing ~4-5 keys for 3-4h a day doesn't even come close to typing)

They are loud as fuck too, if you are one of these "I can't use push to talk for *insert stupid reason here*" people, please don't get one .
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-10-07 at 11:57 AM.

I personally enjoy my mechanical keyboard as it just feels lighter, I type a lot so typing for hours is no issue, typing on a regular keyboard gets tiresome as the hours go on. I wanted a choc mini but settled on a corsair tenkeyless and wouldn't change it. so easy to clean also as the keys are raised!

Quote Originally Posted by Christinaki View Post
    and therefore at the end of the day you may gain 2-3 abilities more per fight let's say??
    No way. I doubt you could even attribute a significant fraction of 1 global to mechanical vs. normal keyboard.

when you are bashing that key to queue fireball in raids mechanicals just make your keyboard last longer. even if u have 5-6 ms u wont feel the difference due to server sync.

Nah, it won't give you any edge GCD wise.
    It is more responsive and has a better feeling though.

I switched to mechanical some years ago and I will never ever go back to the mainstream ones. If you have a used regular keyboard buy the exact same one and compare the buttons... you will notice that your old one is loose like a whores private parts after she fucked with 24 people a day for 10 years. With mechanical keyboards this will not happen so fast.

Deleted
    I don't think they will boost performance in anyway, but I really love my mechanical keyboard and don't think I'll ever get a membrane one ever again.

I personally don't like mechanical keyboards. They're too loud, and i don't like the way typing feels on them. Contrary to what some posters in this thread experienced, i personally don't feel any sort of discomfort typing away for hours on a membrane keyboard.