Trinkets - What was Blizzard thinking?

So, last night in our raid we kill Dragons and a nice 860 Unstable Horrorslime drops for me, and I think "awesome, raid trinket, it has to be good." Then I start to look at it; it has crit, not haste, not intellect, but I think ok maybe the damage proc makes it worth it, makes it better than a blue stat stick of haste and int I am still using. I whisper my fellow boomkin in the raid and he tells me that most raid trinkets are trash and not to bother with it; this seems to be the general consensus from all the casters in our raid, but I equip it for a miniboss all the same to see if it has a crazy proc rate and is worth my while, in a 1-2 minute little session it procced twice for like a total of 170K, if i remember correctly. I quickly thought, screw this, and re-equipped my blue stat stick.

So first, has anyone had a good experience with Unstable Horrorslime? and did I drop it too quickly?

Finally, my main question:

TLDR
    Did Blizzard intentionally make raid trinkets garbage compared to dungeon/WQ or what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Those trinkets are for pvp since bonuses don't work in pvp you want stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Which trinkets are "those trinkets"?

Without knowing the answer to that, I am not sure how to take this answer as it could be read a couple ways:
    1) Raid trinkets are for PVP, and in raid I want stats
    2) Stat trinkets are for PVP, so I want the bad raid trinkets in raid?

The problem with all these trinkets with weird procs is that if they proc often they easily become too strong. That's why Twisting Wind is such garbage... it had a high proc rate and was causing absurd levels of aoe cleave so it was destroyed.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

blizz made all trinkets worse, they made them do direct damage to avoid them stacking well with cooldowns and such and to lower damage values overall, they've been trying to stop some specs from doing 50% of their damage or more for the fight in the first 30 seconds for a long time now, and by just making trinkets shitty, fun, and unrewarding, they kinda' succeeded at the cost of some degree of fun, but somehow the emerald nightmare raid trinkets came out even worse than most other trinkets from everywhere and ilvl is really most of what they seem to have going for them

also @Argenon trinkets are ignored in pvp now, all that matters is their raw ilvl, and that only matters slightly, all procs are turned off and the static stats are ignored despite them still being lit up, so you just get that small amount of scaling, and even that matters less than artifact level

yeah though, your bis trinkets for a lot of specs now are going to be coming from mythic+ or you're gonna' be upgrading that darkmoon card every patch of the xpac if you got it (or even worse you pray for a really high dinosaur su'esh world quest/boe world drop trinket)

TW was strong before the nerf. Nyth trinket still strong for certain classes including boomkin. Wriggling sinew strong for certain classes. It's not like every trinket in a raid has to be useful to you. It's not even the case that any trinket should be BiS for your class. Mythic+ exists and if you don't want to put the time into doing that then just go with w/e trinket you get from a raid. You can't complain about something you don't have if it's accessible to you, but you don't put in the effort to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by ryklin View Post
    blizz made all trinkets worse, they made them do direct damage to avoid them stacking well with cooldowns and such and to lower damage values overall, they've been trying to stop some specs from doing 50% of their damage or more for the fight in the first 30 seconds for a long time now, and by just making trinkets shitty, fun, and unrewarding, they kinda' succeeded at the cost of some degree of fun, but somehow the emerald nightmare raid trinkets came out even worse than most other trinkets from everywhere and ilvl is really most of what they seem to have going for them

also @Argenon trinkets are ignored in pvp now, all that matters is their raw ilvl, and that only matters slightly, all procs are turned off and the static stats are ignored despite them still being lit up, so you just get that small amount of scaling, and even that matters less than artifact level

yeah though, your bis trinkets for a lot of specs now are going to be coming from mythic+ or you're gonna' be upgrading that darkmoon card every patch of the xpac if you got it (or even worse you pray for a really high dinosaur su'esh world quest/boe world drop trinket)
    In other words, they're once again narrowing down the skillcap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    In other words, they're once again narrowing down the skillcap.
    World of Random RNG Craft.

plaguehive and twisting wind are both good for balance (though twisting wind less so than it was); horrorslime has a non-priority static stat and a close-aoe oriented proc so I'm not sure what led you to believe it'd be so amazing for raid encounters

the real outlier in the world of caster trinkets is the silly shock baton, which they continue not to nerf in spite of my expectations

Seems stupid that these Heroic warforged Trinkets cant beat out a WQ Trinket I got back in my first week of doing them.

It's an AoE trinket. It won't be good for single target.

Single target trinkets easily proc for 50-100% more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    horrorslime has a non-priority static stat and a close-aoe oriented proc so I'm not sure what led you to believe it'd be so amazing for raid encounters
    Its not that I thought it was amazing, its just I would typically think/want a raid trinket to be better than an 830 stat stick with haste

Quote Originally Posted by Argenon View Post
    Its not that I thought it was amazing, its just I would typically think/want a raid trinket to be better than an 830 stat stick with haste
    It is. Just not for single target fights.

The trinket is amazing, just not for single target of course. That thing is like 30% of my damage in mythic+

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Just wanted to pop in that literally the only thing that works in instanced PvP, is item level. Nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    It's an AoE trinket. It won't be good for single target.

Single target trinkets easily proc for 50-100% more damage.
    lmao get off your plant