Stagger SotR or spam it

Hey guys have a question. I kinda just spam shield of the righteous during my regular rotation and was wondering if there is any downside to doing that for smooth damage or should I save the charges. Sometimes if things are going crazy i'll just pop the bastion of light talent to get 3 charges immediately and then use one to have defensive cd up. Is it ok if i keep that up or will i be super squishy ? Done mythic4 so far seemed alright.

It depends on the situation, but most mobs will do things to interrupt their regular auto attacks, and in those cases spamming SOTR can lead to a loss in survivability, because you're wasting uptime when the mob is not attacking you. An extreme example of this is King Deepbeard, 4th boss of Eye of Azshara. He goes through this sequence where he'll cast Gaseous Bubbles, then Ground Slam, then Quake, and after that he'll melee for about 10 seconds straight. This is where most tanks die during his frenzy. If you're spamming your SOTR during his spells, you're not mitigating any damage, and you're not leaving yourself a whole lot for when he starts his next melee sequence.

There are situations where spamming SOTR is fine. Like, if you're tanking a shitload of mobs and you don't have an AoE stun ready to use, then you're always going to have lethal amounts of damage coming your way, and in that case you definitely want SOTR up, so it's fine to spam it.

I see thanks for your response @Laurcus

My general method is avoid spamming but also avoid capping charges. Always keep one available for when you need it and always use one before it caps at 3. The only time i'd spam it is if you need a LotP really quickly to get back up and you're talented into SotR shortening the cooldown. But so long as you're not sitting at 3 or always sitting with less than 1 charge and using it as soon at it's up your probably going to be safe.