Poll: How old were you?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    That most people were around 15 or 16 when they started WoW. So far, it seems I'm wrong :P

most ppl i knew those days (and i knew a lot) where around 18-25 in the first 2 vanilla years. vanilla DEFINETLY was not played by a lot of ppl under 17-18 years. those ppl were an absolute minority these days. maybe later, when everyone and his mother heared that wow is THE game today. but in the first 2 years of vanilla that was an absolute minority.

and thats not surprising, bc in those days literrally no one played mmorpg games. there was a handful of ppl playing star wars galaxies, dark age of camelot, everquest and ultima online. most ppl playing wow those days were comin from diablo 2. all of them blizzard fan enthusiasts, already waitin for wow. blizzard games at those times had a high quality standard (not as today) and there was a big fan community around this philosophy, that played warcraft 1-3, starcraft 1, and diablo. those ppl just waited for that BIG new blizzard wow thing.

so, in short: in my exp nearly no one was under 17-18 (way more 23-25) in the first 1-2 years of vanilla.

When I was like 7-10 I'd do up flyers to do odd jobs for neighbours and pass them out, I didn't make much but that's more than enough to make $15 a month. With a bit spare to save each month for expansion cash. I'd get like $30 a month from odd jobs, $5 a week from my parents and just saved for new expansions what I didn't need for sub money.

Christmas 2005, my mom gave me 100$ and told me to get whatever I wanted. I was 20 years of age.

I went to a gaming store and looked at that WoW-game and I was like: hmmm that looks pretty interesting, lets give it a try. (And I didnt know anythig about WoW back then)
    It came with a month or so of free sub, and I said, yeah whatever, I never gonna pay for a sub, so I just play it for a month.

And guess what.. jesus god, here I still am

11 or 12. Can't really remember tbh. It was during the last month of vanilla when i started.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Well, you're asking about people who started playing in vanilla so you're eliminating a lot of of people right there. I also don't believe high speed internet was as common back then as it is now. No one in my family had high speed internet until 2008 and I was the only person I knew out of my friends and friends of friends that had something more than dial up internet for a year or so. I think they did have an older demographic back then because of that reason possibly.
    I can't imagine having to rely on dial-up until 2008 :O I got my fibre installed at home way back in 1997 with a (back then) whooping 10Mbit up and down.

But yeah, that would be a huge part of why MMOs weren't a big thing back then since most of the world actually was still on dial-up and metered connections.

10+ Year Old Account
    15 years old i was when i started play WoW. Damn old times, i feel it was like yesterday.

18. Have always played online games with people predominantly much older than me, WoW was no exception. Most people in my guild were 25 and up.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Also 15. I think you're wrong with your theory, simply because i'm 27 now, and i'm still playing video games, so I would certainly have bought WoW if it had been released just now .

I played a lot of RTS games as a kid, including warcraft, which made me look into the WoW beta when it was accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    You need a revenue to pay the sub. How can young people pay this?
    Parents ? I did chores around the house to earn my sub.. if I didn't do my chores mum didn't pay
    My FC is 1177 - 6552 - 9842 PM with yours if you add.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me see ... I was 45.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Deleted
    I was 24 in vanilla but I actually started when 27 in tbc

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Is this poll serious?
    Holy lack of a range of options batman.
    It's like there is noone older than 30 on the planet.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Galaxy MV4478-87, Vontos cluster, Alpha Prime
    13, was playing diablo before on our dial-up modem... dem phone bills tho

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Let me see ... I was 45.
    I was 39, and salute you!

29, started in us open beta
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

I was 24, most of my RL friends who played were around the same age and my guildies were 30-40+

Playing on my brother's account, I was 11 when playing the Beta, and 12 when playing retail.
    I'm 23 now, and no matter what Blizzard does, it just won't be the same for me, because I changed mostly.

Played in open beta and that was just before I turned 18, so I guess I was 17 at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I was 15 during open beta.