Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question about sushi in Japan

So my mom is going to Japan for the first time for her work and she's not a big fan of fish in general. I was wondering if anyone here has been to Japan or at least tried enough different types of Sushi to know what would be the least... fish tasting? For lack of a better description. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated as she was told she'll have to eat some as part of the celebrations for her going and doing all the inspections.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

They make sushi that doesn't involve fish too.

- - - Updated - - -

Also sushi technically doesn't refer to the fish. Sushi only talks about the rice. Everything else is additions to it. Including fish.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    You know there are other kinds of food in Japan than sushi, too, right?

At the same time, maybe she should try something she thinks she doesn't like (before ever having tried it), and she'll learn something.
    Or maybe she should just go to McDonald's the entire time she's there, if she's got a baby mouth, idk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Japan is not all sushi. Also, sushi is the rice, not the fish. There are tons of dishes that are fish-free.

If she does eat sushi, she should know in Japan, sushi is a finger food. It's like chicken nuggets. Only in America do people eat it with chopsticks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well she should have thought of that before going to a county whose entire meal plan, breakfast lunch and dinner is nothing more than sushi! /sarcasm

Seriously Japan's got a lot of foods, some of them are even not fish-based! *gasp*
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Grossly overcook salmon and it'll be like chicken, or drown everything in ketchup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its like no one actually bothered to read the OP. I'm fairly sure he and his mother are aware not every meal in Japan is going to be sushi, he said "any and all input would be greatly appreciated as she was told she'll have to eat some as part of the celebrations for her going and doing all the inspections."
    My personal favorite is ebi and hamachi

Tuna is the go-to for sushi/sashimi novices. Or she can ask... Japanese folks tend to be very helpful.

Tell her to get a bowl of noodles while she's there. The broth will be the star.

Also tempura vegetables.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Seriously Japan's got a lot of foods, some of them are even not fish-based! *gasp*
    Wut??? How'd they manage to get cows and chickens on an island?!?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I have a friend in Japan right now, this is what she had for dinner last night...

Disney Sea Tokyo, "American Special".

Plate has one sad and limp looking piece of bacon, a "hot dog" that looks highly questionable, and a "burger" covered in gravy. Also one lonely piece of broccoli and some rice for some reason.

Ramen is where it's at in Japan, everyone eats it. The average person eats like 10 bowls a week.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    If she does eat sushi, she should know in Japan, sushi is a finger food. It's like chicken nuggets. Only in America do people eat it with chopsticks.
    That makes me feel better about being shamed by people I go out to get sushi with because I don't know how to use chopsticks. Suck it guys, I'm normal!
    Cool as a cucumber.

The sushi in Japan is mediocre to subpar. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

But, she will have to at least fake eat some as to not to offend anyone.

Tell her to find a good tonkatsu place and she will be in heaven.

Fun fact: The best food in Japan isn't Japanese.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never had "good sushi" but I imagine it's amazing in Japan. From what I've heard actual fresh fish when prepared correctly doesn't have a "fishy" flavor. That "fishy" flavor is pretty much a dead give away of pre frozen, shit fish. Altho I think some dishes will have a stronger taste than others like conch apparently has a very strong "fish" taste but it's not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Japan is not all sushi. Also, sushi is the rice, not the fish. There are tons of dishes that are fish-free.

Well, literally sure. Traditionally the dish is the rice, some kind of uncooked meat (most commonly fish), and seaweed. As for eating with chopsticks, that depends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    But, she will have to at least fake eat some as to not to offend anyone.
    Not really. It is pretty accepted that a lot of foreigners can't stand it. I mean if we're talking at someone's house, that might be different, but they probably aren't going to just serve sushi without saying anything.

I did think that though. Apparently it was written all over my face that I thought it was awful, got some laughs, and told not to worry about it because like I said above.
    Last edited by Sesshou; 2016-10-08 at 03:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oddly, sushi started as a way to preserve fish: http://recipes.eat-japan.com/sushi-p.../sushi-history

Fresh fish generally should not taste "fishy".
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Fresh fish generally should not taste "fishy".
    Also not commonly known, sushi-grade fish is frozen before preparation.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I went to Japan for holiday back in April and the food there was all great. I'd never really tried sushi much, probably because of a bad first experience with it, but I tried it again because if you're going to try sushi anywhere, where else? I can imagine it might depend on where you go but at the very least, the cities and populated areas like Tokyo and Kyoto are so packed with restaurants and food that basically, if you don't make it good, you don't survive as a business - so anywhere you go to eat is fantastic.

I like fish but I played it with the safe options of tuna and salmon, didn't try the less-familiar stuff though I sort of wish I did now. Non-fish sushi is a thing though, one of the conveyer-belt sushi places we went to had omelette rolls. If you don't really like it, the portions are generally pretty small anyway and you can just quickly get it down and wash away the aftertaste with some drink.