Thread: [TV] Westworld

Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Given that I was completely unaware of its origins as a 70's flick (I thought this was a book series for some reason), I have to say that the premier episode was one of the most unique and well done things I've seen in quite a while.

I have my countdown started for HBO to cancel it, citing production costs, and give Girls an 8th season because why not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really liked the pilot, kept thinking it was going to end abruptly because it was way to good to be just a pilot. I really like pacing, background information is revealed as the story is progressing. Ed Harris is a boss. I expect this show to be short and sweet though because they have far too many big names playing in it.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Really liked the pilot, kept thinking it was going to end abruptly because it was way to good to be just a pilot. I really like pacing, background information is revealed as the story is progressing. Ed Harris is a boss. I expect this show to be short and sweet though because they have far too many big names playing in it.
    They might just kill off humans and "update" androids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    If it is all in the weapons, wouldn't that mean guests could still be killed some other way, like getting hanged or hit with a knife?

Different worlds could be interesting, but the show is called Westworld, so I don't know how that would work.

And yes I'm Danish.
    They probably could. I hope they adress this in some way..

The 2 other worlds were in the original, so it´s not so far fetched.

Var lige i KBH til comic con for 14 dage siden

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I loved the music in the pilot. The pianola playing Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden was so weird and delightful, and the orchestral version of Paint It Black by the Stones was amazing. Wonder if there was some kind of a theme with the music? Both of those songs had to do with black anyway, but it might be mainly because black hats are typically the bad guys in westerns.
    Yeah, I caught that and loved it.

I like the concept of this (never saw the movie), like Hopkins and Harris and Beetee. I wish this was a netflix show, so I could binge watch it. I feel like I could easily lose a weekend with this show.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Watched it again, the movement of all of the hosts is so unnerving lol. Old Bill was very obvious in his movements, which was creepy as shit, but it was obvious with him being such an old model. But even the modern hosts, sometimes they have this movement to them while they're going about their scripted life, that really really looks robotic. Even out in the "real world." It's just creepy! The attention to detail is what's blowing my mind so far.
    The legendary Michael Wincott!!
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Looked amazing!

The pilot was directed by Jonathan Nolan, and he has also directed the season finale, the 10th episode. The whole show was adapted, developed and mostly written by him and Lisa Joy. Jonathan Nolan, obviously, is the brother of Christopher Nolan, and the co-writer of the Batman movies, Interstellar, and the writer of the short story on which Memento was based. And, most importantly to me, he's the creator of Person of Interest. Incidentally, the original score of the show is by Ramin Djawadi, who made the amazing music to Person of Interest. And, of course, Game of Thrones.

A bit of a minor spoiler having to do with the music in the pilot so I'll tag...

I loved the music in the pilot. The pianola playing Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden was so weird and delightful, and the orchestral version of Paint It Black by the Stones was amazing. Wonder if there was some kind of a theme with the music? Both of those songs had to do with black anyway, but it might be mainly because black hats are typically the bad guys in westerns.
    The main theme sounded a bit like a slight re-working of the Game of Thrones theme, also written by Djawadi.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    The legendary Michael Wincott!!
    The mahhh-fuckin Guy of Gisborne himself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    The main theme sounded a bit like a slight re-working of the Game of Thrones theme, also written by Djawadi.
    More like his work on Person if Interest imo, but goddamn that intro credits sequence for Westworld is sexy :E

"You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coeryn View Post
    True, but it is a pilot. They'll probably want to see how the first season fares before dumping more money into Westworld.

And as a counter-argument you could say that there are many scenes in GoT that look cheap, despite it being their biggest hit. (Daenerys riding on Drogon for example)
    I'm not going to claim I know how or where it's being spent on effects, but apparently the 10 episode season had some insane budget allocated like $100 million. My guess is at least a fair chunk of that is going on cast salary.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I loved the original movie.

This series has started out VERY well - terrific acting, fantastic cast, script is dynamite (how could it not be with J Nolan at the helm). And the pace, while a tinsy bit slow, was still great - building up the people and the backstories. Great stuff all around. And they couldn't just have the "Hosts" come out and kill all the people in the first episode - I'm guessing that as an HBO series, they are looking at a longer game than even that - the Ed Harris character demonstrates that.

The mention of the three areas of plot development, by one of the characters in the show, was fantastic. The people who pay to visit. The shareholders. And the Board of Directors. All with different objectives.

So excited!

- - - Updated - - -

The music did sound like GOT in a general sense.

That out-of-nowhere episode 2 though! Didn't expect.

Seems that Ed Harris, the Man in Black, is not a robot, but a guest, compared to the film? Never seen movie so can't confirm this.

Thoughts on the episode as a whole is that while not action filled, it was a slow, but suspenseful buildup of what's to come. We see the minds of the creators, we see the mistakes done that will haunt them, and we see a new duo of guests, assuming they will have pivotal roles in the things to come.

I had no problem with the episode, I like things that buildup slowly. You don't go from a few malfunctions to all out massacre in the shot of two episodes, and the in-between can't really have too much action, therefore it must be slow paced. With the high quality of this series, I have no doubt that the slow beginning leads to an explosive first season, there can be no doubt about it. The long-term play is a lot more valuable than just whipping out the craziness at start.

Another thing is to consider the aspect of the show. This is deep on an emotional level, dealing with existential crisis and playing around a lot of big questions. You can't do that too quick either, because you wouldn't have reached the point you'd wanna make, (especially showing it).
    I assume people that were skeptical about GoT because of being slow will find themselves skeptical about this too, but hopefully equally surprised when shit hits the fan. (and if there are any Michael Bay lovers out there, this might not be for you )
    I did it
    I didn't do it
    FAKE NEWS
    What was the question?

Deleted
    Seems that Ed Harris, the Man in Black, is not a robot, but a guest, compared to the film? Never seen movie so can't confirm this.
    Thats was allready made clear in the first episode - Hosts cant hurt guests.
    (Interesting to see that even a Chrichton uses Asimov )

Deleted
    There's this "feel", an emotion certain movies and shows manage to evoke, that kind of requires a single word to describe, yet I lack that specific word. A mixture of absurd and horrific and something else. Paul Verhoeven managed to grasp that pretty nicely in the first Robocop, and in Starship Troopers. The moment in the 2004 remake of the Manchurian Candidate (spoilers from that movie), where one of the main characters, either Denzel or Liev, IIRC, is told to shoot one of their friends, and that character calmly does it without showing any emotion, is also a great example of that "feel" I'm going for. That absurdity of horrific things being done, or horrific things happening, in a kind of a matter-of-fact manner. This show is definitely using that quite well.

I haven't seen the movie either, and I for one appreciate you tagging spoilers if they're from said movie. I was born in the 70s but it'd be completely asinine to expect me to have watched any movies made in the 70s, let alone all of them, and it would make even less sense to expect us to go watch the movie so we know what happens in it before watching this show. Hence, as I said before, it'd be nice if people who have seen the source material (the movie from 1973) would use spoiler tags as we don't know how much this show, which was adapted from said movie, has in common with the movie.

However, as for (spoilers from the second episode) the Man In Black (Ed Harris) being one of the hosts, he did say, "I've been coming here for thirty years. In a sense I was... I was born here." He might have been referring to just having been "reborn as the person he is now" or some stuff like that. Then again, it might have a much deeper meaning. Some of the staff did refer to him in a way as to suggest that he's a guest. Still, to me, from these two episodes, he strikes me as having the potential to be either. It's for sure that he does know the nature of the park, though. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-10-08 at 04:45 PM.

After watching the second episode I came to believe that the narratives follow an unlocking system like a game. This is supposed to be intentional. Ed Harris unlocked the maze adventure after thirty years. I am wondering what Hopkin's new project will be. Still I believe he has a doing in the whole AI situation.

Quote Originally Posted by catablitz View Post
    After watching the second episode I came to believe that the narratives follow an unlocking system like a game. This is supposed to be intentional. Ed Harris unlocked the maze adventure after thirty years. I am wondering what Hopkin's new project will be. Still I believe he has a doing in the whole AI situation.
    Just a reminder that spoilers are not part of the title and you are discussing an episode that was streamed early, not yet broadcast.

Just a reminder that spoilers are not part of the title and you are discussing an episode that was streamed early, not yet broadcast.
    Crap! I didn't know. How do I put the black fond?

Deleted
    Crap! I didn't know. How do I put the black fond?
    Encase the text in [spoiler][/ spoiler], without that space, obviously.

Well, the main town in Westworld is definitely like some quest hub in a "noob area" in some MMO, and the guests are constantly being presented with different kinds of "quests", so yes, it's definitely part amusement park, part MMO.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-10-08 at 04:48 PM.

I liked the 2nd episode even more than the first. Definitely my new favorite show. I have to watch the 70's movie now.

Deleted
    I haven't seen the movie either, and I for one appreciate you tagging spoilers if they're from said movie. I was born in the 70s but it'd be completely asinine to expect me to have watched any movies made in the 70s, let alone all of them, and it would make even less sense to expect us to go watch the movie so we know what happens in it before watching this show. Hence, as I said before, it'd be nice if people who have seen the source material (the movie from 1973) would use spoiler tags as we don't know how much this show, which was adapted from said movie, has in common with the movie.
    Sorry the rule of thumb is one week after it aired its not spoiling anymore - if you dont wanna see the movie thats your choice. Still wanting spoiler tags for something that old is just SILLY.
    @cata: Id guess the building of a new town.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 1970s movie came one tonight, I didn't have power to set it to record though...

It came on SyFy for those interested.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    Personally, I don't really see much point in watching the movie if there's even the slightest possible it'll spoil the show. A bit like if you hadn't read A Song of Ice and Fire before, it'd make little sense to read it just before watching Game of Thrones. Then again, some people love to read the plot synopses for entire episodes of shows, effectively making watching the show in question pointless, so who knows. To each their own, I guess. To me it just feels a bit like purposefully finding out the score of a sports match before watching the actual match.