Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Oh god, please tell me this game isn't using Cryengine?!

That engine sucked from day one. It was never properly optimized and the engine is still riddled with bugs. Cryengine was a day one uninstall for me. Gamebryo lasted longer on my dev box than Cryengine, that has to tell you something.

(I'm still butthurt over Cryengine, as you can tell.)
    RSI scooped up the actual CryEngine developers when Crytek went bust. So at least they have the original guys doing optimizing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    RSI scooped up the actual CryEngine developers when Crytek went bust. So at least they have the original guys doing optimizing.
    Wait, they hired the guys who made the engine that worked at Crytek?

My main gripe with Cryengine was spending so much time learning how to use it only to have them abandon it. =o[********
    Every issue in Cryengine, was a par the course for a new engine, but they never got around to fixing it all before crytek went belly up.

If they actually hired on the developers, they may actually churn out some epic shit.

Does this mean the Cryengine will get updates? Or is it going to become the official Star Citizen engine and that's it?

ALso, are there official forums where we can ask the engine devs qs?

My main gripe with Cryengine was spending so much time learning how to use it only to have them abandon it. =o[********
    Every issue in Cryengine, was a par the course for a new engine, but they never got around to fixing it all before crytek went belly up.

If they actually hired on the developers, they may actually churn out some epic shit.

Does this mean the Cryengine will get updates? Or is it going to become the official Star Citizen engine and that's it?

i guess, star citizen's engine named Star Engine now, not same thing with cryengine (still cryengine but huge upgraded)

10+ Year Old Account

They've one of those subforums here
    , Might need to be a backer to be able to post on the official forum though.

Quote Originally Posted by Onvious View Post
    i guess, star citizen's engine named Star Engine now, not same thing with cryengine (still cryengine but huge upgraded)
    Yeah, at Gamescom the Foundry 42 Germany head said that they have replaced about 50% of CryEngine code to make it work the way they like.

Not the least of which was they had to convert the entire engine from 32 to 64bit precision.

Deleted
    Star Citizen upgraded from scam to fraud status. Grabs popcorn...

D_Smart posted:

Well, I haven't even written it yet. Just a few days ago I posted on Twitter that I was working on two completely unrelated blogs. Then this dump lands on my lap within the past 24hrs. So now I have to come up with a new plan on how to approach this. There are still some legal things to work through and I'm going to wait until my attorneys have had the chance to consult with my liability insurance company because I can 100% guarantee that I'm probably going to get sued. They won't have a choice now.

When I wrote that first blog back in July 2015, I knew what I was in for. But what I didn't plan for, was i) to be 100% right ii) croberts would help prove me to be 100% right iii) that this whole thing would blow as it has

What's lost in translation through all this is that my original claim of them being unable to build the game as pitched, has already been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Heck, even croberts own MVP statements from April 18th, helped that narrative along. Not to mention the fact that the "game" remains a freaking mess, and SQ42 is still MIA.

I remain 100% confident, and in sound mind and body, that this whole thing is on track for a spectacular collapse.

The biggest liability they have now, is the staged GamesCom 3.0 demo, as well as the promised 3.0 build by year end. As to the demo, as I've learned - no less than 11 people was complicit in putting it together with the sole purpose of deceiving backers when in fact they knew that it wasn't indicative of the game state, nor tagged as R&D. And true to form, croberts went off script with the promises.

And what's distressing is that, for the first time, I have clear evidence of how they did it, who is involved, and what their role was in doing it. There's scam, and then there's outright fraud. There is a difference; but that's for the authorities to sort through.

All I know is that for over a year I've been vilified because I dared to speak out and challenge the complacent Status Quo.

And as I said on twitter a few days ago, I'm writing a blog in which I'm going to spotlight every single dev on this project who was complicit in doing this and complicit in what croberts was doing. They've had enough time to come forward, and going to media as anon sources, simply isn't going to cut it anymore. Which is precisely why those who reached out to me in the past 24hrs, have said that they're willing to go on the record. Which btw, I think is a dumb idea and a huge risk. They're certain the project is on the verge of collapse; so my point is, why not just wait. Waiting means that at the end, the NDA and arbitration clauses all go away; even though they have no place in State/Fed investigations.

For the record. All they had to do was apologize for that July 2015 crap they pulled when they lied and issued a press statement to make things worse, issue refunds (which they only started doing due to on-going pressure), release the financials to backers who were already entitled to them, having missing the 18 month window.

I don't care what anyone thinks or says, I'm sticking to my guns. I'm semi-retired, so I've got nothing but time on my hands. And if anyone knows anything about me, it's that I never give up on anything.
    some other leaks from different person

sq42 cutscenes have now hit over $60m to be produced (this includes the mocap work, VA work, stunts, shoot time, internal cleanup of the scenes, character modeling and artwork)
    "[The quality is] Not even close enough to okay." - Chris Roberts, 28/9/2016
    ^ this was mentioned to me awhile back, but I couldn't believe it. the two people I talked two and leaked the previous (now confirmed) poo poo before the kotaku uk piece was released, so I trust them
    they are trying to find things for ben/alexis/lando to do
    their positions are winding down and will be terminated aka transferred
    there's been some problems getting some streamers paid (again)
    the new troops had a visit from roberts (unknown contracted studio)
    I really thought the 60m seemed a bit too much myself, but when you add in the constant art redesigns for multiple character models that poo poo adds up fast

I believe just the mocap studio work was at around 40m, so I can easily see another 20m in artist and dev time getting them cutscenes right
    Let's not use Derek Smart and his conspiracy theories to bait the thread. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2016-10-07 at 07:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EvcRo View Post
    Star Citizen upgraded from scam to fraud status. Grabs popcorn...
    BREAKING NEWS! NEW LEAK FROM A SUPER REAL INSIDE SOURCE!!

EvcRo spend $1,000,000 on popcorn since Star Citizen was announced. One of his doctors anonymously told me that he was going to get sick and die and go bankrupt years ago (let's just ignore that though, I swear I'm a good journalist). But now I found the truth! EvcRo is actually Derek Smarts fuckboy. Derek Smart cries on EvcRo's shoulder every night complaining about how no one listens. But EvcRo listens. So he takes it into his own hands. He goes to different forums under various titles pretending like he doesn't know Derek Smart. Just posting the true "facts." He must clear Smarts tarnished name at any means necessary!

But I have proof. I have an inside source who knows a guy who knows one of the people that shook Derek Smarts hand once. He told me that he has pictures of Derek Smart and EvcRo in bed together. I can't show you now, but I'm writing up another blog post as I write this blog post telling you about my future blog posts. It will reveal everything.

If there is one thing that my gaggle of fuckboys knows about me; it's that I never give up, even when everything I have ever posted has been false. Oh, and except my own game that I gave up on years ago. But again, just ignore that. I'm a top tier game developers and journalist who knows people and does things so trust me when I tell you that Star Citizen will be exposed for a scam and fail for the thousandth fucking time.

Please love me, I'm an attention whore.

Signed,

DS

Please post productively. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2016-10-07 at 06:17 PM.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    You seem to have missed the last 3 years of controversy around this game then. And the continued FUD by a certain group and his followers (one being a frequent poster in this thread).
    As far as I can see, Derek Smarts argument is essentially that the game which was promised originally will never be released and that Star Citizen, even funded to the tune of $130 million, doesn't have the resources or staff necessary to publish the games that have been promised at the quality that has been stated.

Is he right? Other AAA titles have had larger budgets, more development time and a larger staff base for one title, let alone the equivalent of three that have been promised as Star Citizen. But its said that Chris Robert has ways to optimise the process that other titles don't have.

I don't know which side is correct. What I do know is that having read through Derek Smarts blog - well, skimmed....the man likes to type - I do know he has said that development is occurring. The closest thing to an accusation of a scam I've seen is that the SC team are too focussed on selling vapourware...ships that exist only as art...in order to keep the development funds rolling in.

Maybe I've missed it. But accusations of mismanagement are not the same as a scam.

And...no. I'm not willing to discuss it. I think Smart makes some good points, but I think he is too "invested" in winning this "war" to be seen as an unbiased commentator.

As it is...from what I've seen, the game will be at least "OK". Whether it'll be worth buying whenever it is released is another question. Personally, I think the people who buy ships and whatever else before the game is even released - especially when they cost hundreds or thousands - have more money than sense but it's not my money. I certainly won't be giving them any money until the game is released...and then only if it is good enough that I decide to buy it.

One thing I will say is that no matter how good it is, I don't think it can or will live up to the hype. It'll likely get rave reviews and the players will lap it up. The question will be what the community will be like after 6 months when the buzz has died down. Especially after NMS, I'm disinclined to rush into it.

But CC is happening shortly. Hopefully - more info then
    Last edited by KyrtF; 2016-10-07 at 10:07 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KyrtF View Post
    As far as I can see, Derek Smarts argument is essentially that the game which was promised originally will never be released and that Star Citizen, even funded to the tune of $130 million, doesn't have the resources or staff necessary to publish the games that have been promised at the quality that has been stated.

Is he right? Other AAA titles have had larger budgets, more development time and a larger staff base for one title, let alone the equivalent of three that have been promised as Star Citizen. But its said that Chris Robert has ways to optimise the process that other titles don't have.

I don't know which side is correct. What I do know is that having read through Derek Smarts blog - well, skimmed....the man likes to type - I do know he has said that development is occurring. The closest thing to an accusation of a scam I've seen is that the SC team are too focussed on selling vapourware...ships that exist only as art...in order to keep the development funds rolling in.

Maybe I've missed it. But accusations of mismanagement are not the same as a scam.

And...no. I'm not willing to discuss it. I think Smart makes some good points, but I think he is too "invested" in winning this "war" to be seen as an unbiased commentator.

As it is...from what I've seen, the game will be at least "OK". Whether it'll be worth buying whenever it is released is another question. Personally, I think the people who buy ships and whatever else before the game is even released - especially when they cost hundreds or thousands - have more money than sense but it's not my money. I certainly won't be giving them any money until the game is released...and then only if it is good enough that I decide to buy it.

One thing I will say is that no matter how good it is, I don't think it can or will live up to the hype. It'll likely get rave reviews and the players will lap it up. The question will be what the community will be like after 6 months when the buzz has died down. Especially after NMS, I'm disinclined to rush into it.

Many of the features that have been promised, in particular the later stretch goals, probably won't make it into the game prior to official launch, but will be part of patches afterwards to expand upon the initial release. That doesn't mean that they don't get made, but the core of the game will launch with the initial design as promised without a doubt, but I don't see many of the stretch goals making it in for the initial release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Many of the features that have been promised, in particular the later stretch goals, probably won't make it into the game prior to official launch, but will be part of patches afterwards to expand upon the initial release. That doesn't mean that they don't get made, but the core of the game will launch with the initial design as promised without a doubt, but I don't see many of the stretch goals making it in for the initial release.
    And to add to this, CIG has even stated that a lot of the features from the stretch goals won't be in on release, so it's not just people's expectations.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Never put any thought into this game, no idea if it is being made or not, but for those of you who are interested:

https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

There's a stream going on right now and there's apparently some convention tomorrow.

My question is, is this something I should put my money into or is it just another No Man's Buy? ¨
    I mean, they have raised like 120 mill. They better get a game out from that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Farron69 View Post
    Never put any thought into this game, no idea if it is being made or not, but for those of you who are interested:

https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

There's a stream going on right now and there's apparently some convention tomorrow.

My question is, is this something I should put my money into or is it just another No Man's Buy? ¨
    I mean, they have raised like 120 mill. They better get a game out from that, right?
    Do the smart thing. Keep your eye on it and wait for it to actually release before committing.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Do the smart thing. Keep your eye on it and wait for it to actually release before committing.
    This is great advice. Everyone has different expectation and wants from a game, so it's a good idea to wait and see if you're willing to hop on board.

As for a comparison to NMS, I don't know much about what was promised/released for it, so I can't comment on that. But I can say, based on what I have read from people that switched over from NMS to SC, the developers for SC are infinitely more open about what's being done and worked on compared to NMS during development.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Yeah, that is what I have been doing so far. I've gone in and checked it up like 1 or 2 times a year now, looks like there's finally a ton of gameplay coming out.
    But it seems very ambitious, but I like that. I do not want them to release a game too early, that's what's sadly wrong about the gaming industry these days.

There's a Derek Smart joke in there somewhere, but I'm not making it : P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KyrtF View Post

There are certainly worthwhile criticisms to be made about both the past & future of Star Citizen but Smart doesn't offer many of them. If anything he does a disservice to the respected, skilled developers who have worked on comparable projects (in the sense of progressive tech) and have legitimate questions about scalability, phasing stability, lod impact etc. things that will actually make the game play & look as it's been represented. But all of those go ignored in the face of Smarts obtuse squabbles over the game being DoA because of issues like a stretch goal being planned to be introduced months after release.

A lot of his claims are what I'm sure he would call 'educated' guesses, things like believing the demos are on-rails, tech issues they've faced & how they'll proceed with development etc. they're mostly things he asserts have happened or will happen based on his own knowledge. One look at his own development history shows you that knowledge doesn't run very deep.

As for the ships there's of course plenty of people with more money than sense but there were many also who believe in the project, or at the very least truly wanted the end result. For them the ships genuinely were primarily a way to donate to the project because without that the game they want wouldn't exist at all. Not in the same wheelhouse as not pre-ordering the next Ubisoft title, you always had the option to wait and see there.

IF CIG can deliver a product close enough to their blueprint and they continue to work on it I can easily see the community remaining healthy for a long time. Big if though.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Deleted
    Chris Roberts is now selling a *ship* jpeg that has a crew (30+?) almost 2x times bigger than what a Star Citizen instance can hold. How that works?

Probably citizens expects from Jesus patch (3.0) to release StarNetwork (lol) who will increase instance cap 10x ? Please explain me citizens.

10+ Year Old Account
    How that works?
    I imagine you have to ask that a lot.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chris Roberts is now selling a *ship* jpeg that has a crew (30+?) almost 2x times bigger than what a Star Citizen instance can hold. How that works?

Probably citizens expects from Jesus patch (3.0) to release StarNetwork (lol) who will increase instance cap 10x ? Please explain me citizens.
    Naturally, because it doesn't have that before the net code overhaul, it's totally impossible afterwards.