Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Cultural appropriation is fine if said culture is long dead.

Kinda hit or miss if the particular culture isn't dead though...

Of course we are arguing here about not-so-dead cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    Negative cultural appropriation is when you do things like take holy symbols of a people and use them in your outfits because they look neat, while not caring where they came from. That's just disrespectful.
    What harm does that do?
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    The entire concept that an individual or group of individuals owns a set of behaviors is mind-boggling.

Deleted
    Well you could say that cultural appropriation is dangerous from a nationalistic point of view, at least in a leader sense.
    You dont want your country to be too heavily influenced by culture that is too different from your own, as your control of the country might fly on a kite from there.

A good example of such effects is religion, and the culture it automatically is produced by, and produces actively, which have changed nations easily, and made them who they are today. Especially with globalism culture can spread fast , but i would argue also very thinly. Waves of culture are not easily smashing countries as it once did, and it mostly changes some minorities. Allthough the effects are still strong in the end, i mean the whole westernization did not come from Uganda or China.

With the new immigration wave, we see Sweden is even admitting in official broadcasts to their people they cannot go back, so large scale cultural changes is still possible, with possible big ramifications.

A couple of big mouthed SJW's aint something you should bother listening to. But if you have to, make sure to counter their opposition with inner calm. They just like to make smoke screens which hide the real problems. A phenomenon which is getting a bit out of hand in America. The American people have sadly grown weak-willed under the liberal economic power-holders. But i trust the country can recover again. Just need America to be woken up.

tldr: Who cares about small-scale cultural appropriation, i call it cultural appreciation. The only thing to be feared or truly welcomed is large scale events of culture clashes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Negative cultural appropriation is when you do things like take holy symbols of a people and use them in your outfits because they look neat, while not caring where they came from.
    First, there's no such thing as "negative cultural appropriation". No person or group of owns any "culture". It's the equivalent of Bieber bitching about people using his retarded hair style. Secondly, "holy" symbols are about religion, not culture. And though they're not necessarily mutually exclusive, they are different.

That's just disrespectful.
    Hardly. Offense is only ever taken and respect is earned. The rest of that paragraph is just feelsy nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    What harm does that do?
    Symbols are powerful.
    Do you need a history lesson and the negatives such things can create?
    Jews and witches come to mind readily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    The entire concept that an individual or group of individuals owns a set of behaviors is mind-boggling.
    What's boggling is the ignorance presented that reveals a refusal to learn from past mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    First, there's no such thing as "negative cultural appropriation". No person or group of owns any "culture". It's the equivalent of Bieber bitching about people using his retarded hair style. Secondly, "holy" symbols are about religion, not culture. And though they're not necessarily mutually exclusive, they are different.

Hardly. Offense is only ever taken and respect is earned. The rest of that paragraph is just feelsy nonsense.
    You're doing that internet troll thing of splitting hairs for the sake of trying to win an argument, while not actually doing anything to win the argument. Quit it.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's boggling is the ignorance presented that reveals a refusal to learn from past mistakes.
    What are you even talking about? Nazis take a symbol originating in India and suddenly no one should be allowed to take part in cultures that they didn't grow up in?

Do you think the Nazis wouldn't have risen to power if they used a different symbol? Do you think the world would be a peaceful place if we all just 'kept to our own'? Do you really think that people have ownership rights over a set of behaviors or symbols simply because they had the privilege of growing up in a particular culture? Are you arguing that people who grow up in a shitty culture must remain in that shitty culture because anything else would be appropriation? What exactly are you trying to say here?
    Last edited by Underverse; 2016-10-09 at 04:58 PM.

Symbols are powerful.
    That's precisely why we take, subvert and modify them. And then piss on their grave.
    Trashing a symbol of power is a virtuous endeavor. Absolutely nothing wrong or harmful about that.

Symbols are powerful.
    Do you need a history lesson and the negatives such things can create?
    Jews and witches come to mind readily enough.
    This doesn't answer the question. Tell me what harm it would do.

What are you even talking about? Nazis take a symbol originating in India and suddenly no one should be allowed to take part in cultures that they didn't grow up in?
    Nazis are a great example...they took a symbol of India and turned into a symbol for hate and genocide. Perfect example of cultural appropriation gone very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    That's precisely why we take, subvert and modify them. And then piss on their grave.
    Trashing a symbol of power is a virtuous endeavor. Absolutely nothing wrong or harmful about that.
    Go ahead and wear "blackface" in the middle of Harlem and see how far you get.

Go ahead and use the word "**gger" and claim it's harmless.
    Here ya go:

Your post is another example of someone that refuses to learn from past mistakes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    This doesn't answer the question. Tell me what harm it would do.
    I the past, the harm came from perpetuating the idea that ethnic/racial discrimination is justified.

Almighty whitey to the rescue...

Shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nazis are a great example...they took a symbol of India and turned into a symbol for hate and genocide. Perfect example of cultural appropriation gone very bad.
    That doesn't make cultural appropriation unilaterally bad. That makes what the Nazis did bad. We don't need extra qualifiers to condemn their actions.

I the past, the harm came from perpetuating the idea that ethnic/racial discrimination is justified.

Almighty whitey to the rescue...

Shit.
    This has nothing to do with what I was asking, I was asking what harm someone wearing something because they think it's neat even if they don't know where it came from does.

Go ahead and wear "blackface" in the middle of Harlem and see how far you get.
    Go ahead and use the word "**gger" and claim it's harmless.
    Your post is another example of someone that refuses to learn from past mistakes.
    Your personal incapacity to subvert symbols without also being an asshole is not a concern of mine.
    People are capable of using the word "nigger" and wear blackface without harming anyone. Heck, I just did use the word "nigger". Twice even, where is the harm?.
    There is none, for I'm utilizing it in explanatory fashion: deprived of power as a symbol.

So, again: trashing a symbol of power is a virtuous endeavor. Absolutely nothing wrong or harmful about that.
    I guess you fear the c-word too. "Context", that is.

Dare I say more: your visual censoring of the word "nigger" confers it with a power it should not have. You are clearly part of the problem.
    Thinking that folks in Harlem will make me not get too far suggests they'll assault me or something? You're not very clear on that point. Do you fear the Harlem people too?.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-10-09 at 05:36 PM.

It isn't. It isn't even a thing. It's called cultural exchange, and it's only loathed by those who want segregation now. (and fought it before)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomac View Post
    I'm a white american. I have no problem talking shit about the terrible things my ancestors have done and the dumb shit other white people do.

As a white person, i believe white people can be the worst. Like how the OP of this thread, who is also probably a white american, gets mad cause he doesn't understand why all the dumb shit white people do offends other cultures.

Also, i never called anyone racist. I simply stated the OP lacks empathy for other cultures.
    Just because you're a white apologist cuck doesn't mean we all are.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Your personal incapacity to subvert symbols without also being an asshole is not a concern of mine.
    People are capable of using the word "nigger" and wear blackface without harming anyone. Heck, I just did use the word "nigger". Twice even, where is the harm?
    Always good to be somewhere safe far away from major city populations.
    But you get your ass kicked in Philly if you say that at all. And deservedly so. (And not even the cops will help you out of that, because stupidity deserves it)

You're an idiotic white that is obviously too far divorced from reality.

infracted - minor flaming
    Last edited by Crissi; 2016-10-09 at 06:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Just because you're a white apologist cuck doesn't mean we all are.
    One of my white, male friends liked this today:

I just...don't understand how this kind of hate can go unchecked, and even be supported.

- - - Updated - - -

Always good to be somewhere safe far away from major city populations.
    But you get your ass kicked in Philly if you say that at all. And deservedly so. (And not even the cops will help you out of that, because stupidity deserves it)

You're an idiotic white that is obviously too far divorced from reality.
    Can you stop being racist? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    It isn't. It isn't even a thing. It's called cultural exchange, and it's only loathed by those who want segregation now. (and fought it before)
    I look and hear music...that reveals the enormous benefits from such exchanges.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you stop being racist? Thanks.
    Can you stop revealing such ignorance?

Probably not, huh?

You can't learn from others' experiences. You actually have to learn from your own...and make the same pathetic mistakes.

You're an idiotic white
    Yeah... not entertaining this, or the absurd -and racist, ironically- suggestion that Philly/Harlem people are so violent and degenerate that they'd assault me.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-10-09 at 06:02 PM.