What is the power of the Corrupted Ashbringer?

We know the Ashbringer's power when it comes to undead and the legend of the blade and man who wielded it, but what about the swords power while it was corrupt? I don't think it was turning living things to Ash, was it? So what was so frightening about the Corrupted Ashbringer? At the DK starting zone, when Darion was telling the sword, "Obey me, blade!", what was he trying to get it to do?

Or is it all just symbolic? Of how nowthing is incorruptible and that they were even able to subdue one of the greatest resistances against the scourge?

And so why now can we opt to re-corrupt it?

10+ Year Old Account
    IIRC, the core of the ashbringer is made from a magic stone that absorbs light and shadow, which was what allowed it to be "cured" by the light and Corrupted by the murder of family, only to be cleansed yet again during the DK starting zone. Honestly not sure if there is any power to the Artifact skin beside it just being a new form for the blade to take that looks kinda bad ass.

Personally I wish that it made all of our spells go from light to shadow colors since some other hidden skins affect spell appearances like the holy paladin skin and the Reinhardt bubble.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritus7 View Post
    We know the Ashbringer's power when it comes to undead and the legend of the blade and man who wielded it, but what about the swords power while it was corrupt? I don't think it was turning living things to Ash, was it? So what was so frightening about the Corrupted Ashbringer? At the DK starting zone, when Darion was telling the sword, "Obey me, blade!", what was he trying to get it to do?

Or is it all just symbolic? Of how nowthing is incorruptible and that they were even able to subdue one of the greatest resistances against the scourge?

And so why now can we opt to re-corrupt it?
    I don't know if there ever was much information on it's corrupted form, he was yelling that because it was trying to resist him...it was a blade of light be used to kill people of the light in a spot of very significant to to the light. Though it was corrupt it was resisting the corruption of the user and obviously like you said, it wasn't turning the living to ash, which is probably around the lines of what Mograine wanted it to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthoris View Post

Personally I wish that it made all of our spells go from light to shadow colors since some other hidden skins affect spell appearances like the holy paladin skin and the Reinhardt bubble.
    That would be kinda cool actually though I doubt it would ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthoris View Post
    Totally agree with this.

Deleted
    The Corrupted Ashbringers most important power is to whisper things to you that sound pretty cool if you are into dark stuff like everyone who is older than 6 and younger then 30.

Are they the old whispers again?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nbx View Post
    Are they the old whispers again?
    I don't think that it whispers to begin with, I was refering to the old whipsers. I kinda liked them, they were creepy. Better than the lame soundeffect of modern day undeads and villains.

I also think that C'thun had the best audio among the old gods.

It was always a nice thing that they had the Naxx 40 CA do the whispers on Darion's back in Archerus when you are starting a DK, since it's something the vast, vast majority of players would have at most heard of/read about.

Agree that the Corrupted Ashbringer's main power is to be appeallingly grimdark in an age in which everyone is too cool to accept a power origin that stems from any notion of purity. I have trouble believing that any corrupted version is more powerful than the original; even Frostmourne wasn't, in the end.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    It was always a nice thing that they had the Naxx 40 CA do the whispers on Darion's back in Archerus when you are starting a DK, since it's something the vast, vast majority of players would have at most heard of/read about.

Agree that the Corrupted Ashbringer's main power is to be appeallingly grimdark in an age in which everyone is too cool to accept a power origin that stems from any notion of purity. I have trouble believing that any corrupted version is more powerful than the original; even Frostmourne wasn't, in the end.
    There was once a theory I read that the Players were able to beat Mograine who fought together with the three other most powerful Death Knights of the Scourge, despite the fact that Mograine himself was once able to destroy a thousand Undeads alone, because the corrupted Ashbringer is not nearly as powerful as the pure one. Probably pure Headcanon, but I liked the thought, that the corrupted Ashbringer, while still being a powerful Runeblade for a Death Knight, is only a Shadow of its true power.

Makes sense; kinda like Darth Vader of the original trilogy is a pretty legitimate scrub compared to what he had been before he got dryhumped by lava. Corruption is nothing if not a form of deterioration.

Deleted
    Makes sense; kinda like Darth Vader of the original trilogy is a pretty legitimate scrub compared to what he had been before he got dryhumped by lava. Corruption is nothing if not a form of deterioration.
    I think it's just like if we would try to turn the Old God Dagger, Frostmourne or the Scepter of Sargeras into a Weapon of Light. They would be probably, but nothing compared to what they were in their original form.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Its the horrific -25 to stamina.

Deleted
    Does anybody else wants to obtain the forth more lightlike skin of the Corrupted Ashbringer for the Headcanon of empowering it with the HEart of Corruption, only to purify it to make it stronger than before?

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Vader only became as strong as he did because for once in his life he had to actually work to call upon the force. So it forced him to practice and focus on the force like never before, maybe its like that with the corrupted Ashbringer, it would force the paladin to try harder
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritus7 View Post
    We know the Ashbringer's power when it comes to undead and the legend of the blade and man who wielded it, but what about the swords power while it was corrupt? I don't think it was turning living things to Ash, was it?
    The crystal in its original dark state completely fucked Mograine's hand as soon as he touched it. Corrupted Ashbringer probably should turn living things to ash, or at least decay them incredibly fast. What it actually does in lore, IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    Vader only became as strong as he did because for once in his life he had to actually work to call upon the force. So it forced him to practice and focus on the force like never before, maybe its like that with the corrupted Ashbringer, it would force the paladin to try harder
    Vader in 4-6 is actually incredibly outclassed by Vader in episode 3. Like its not even close.

Power ranking wise Anakin was one of the most powerful Jedi in episode 3 based on raw power. He wasn't wise like Yoda or Obi Wan but he was the strongest in the Force by far. It was a combination of his raw talent, being a child of the Force and all, and the fact that he had been fighting in the Clone Wars for nearly a decade.

When Vader got beaten by Obi Wan it was only due to Vader being a fucking idiot who believe he could strongarm someone of silimar strength, Obi Wan was probably the 2nd most powerful Jedi because he balanced his ability to fight, strength in the Force and his general wisdom. He was the most Jedi a Jedi could be.

Post lava Vader had a lot more glaring weaknesses, mobility being the biggest one. He literally walked everywhere because you don't run with heavy metal prosthesis. He had to try and make up his lack of mobility with the force, mostly with choking bitches and throwing shit at people (like with Luke in Empire Strikes Back.)

Luke in episode 6 was very similar in strength to Vader in episode 3 pre-Lava. The main difference was Vader used his hate and anger which made him stronger, though a lot more reckless. It made him stronger but also is why he became lavaman.

His relative strength in the Force was pretty static post Ep 3. Vader in 3 was probably the most powerful individual that has existed and maybe even will exist in Star Wars canon. It served as a reminder that the Dark Side has some pretty glaring weaknesses despite making you a badass child slaying Dark Jedi.

RIP those kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Post lava Vader had a lot more glaring weaknesses, mobility being the biggest one. He literally walked everywhere because you don't run with heavy metal prosthesis. He had to try and make up his lack of mobility with the force, mostly with choking bitches and throwing shit at people (like with Luke in Empire Strikes Back.)

Luke in episode 6 was very similar in strength to Vader in episode 3 pre-Lava. The main difference was Vader used his hate and anger which made him stronger, though a lot more reckless. It made him stronger but also is why he became lavaman.

His relative strength in the Force was pretty static post Ep 3. Vader in 3 was probably the most powerful individual that has existed and maybe even will exist in Star Wars canon. It served as a reminder that the Dark Side has some pretty glaring weaknesses despite making you a badass child slaying Dark Jedi.

RIP those kids.
    Alot of that stuff has been retconned. Vader post suit now can move just as fast as he did pre suit, using the force to augment his body and maneuvering himself where his prosthetic limbs would otherwise fail him. He doesn't run because he doesn't have to. The potential of pre suit Vader was to be the strongest force user or all time, but the Post suit vader was more skilled at the force and the sword because he actually had to practice and couldnt rely on his insane force potential to carry him.
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Deleted
    Alot of that stuff has been retconned. Vader post suit now can move just as fast as he did pre suit, using the force to augment his body and maneuvering himself where his prosthetic limbs would otherwise fail him. He doesn't run because he doesn't have to. The potential of pre suit Vader was to be the strongest force user or all time, but the Post suit vader was more skilled at the force and the sword because he actually had to practice and couldnt rely on his insane force potential to carry him.
    But still he lost his insane potential, he could never again become that good he could have become before. Yeah, Vader is stronger as Anakin, because of further Practice. After all, he didn't lost his knowledge and worked really hard after that. But I don't see the comparison to the Ashbringer. As a Paladin, your strength comes totally from the Light. The Void is your Antithesis. Your old holy Warhammer is probably most of the times a better weapon than a corrupted Ashbringer, as the plain Warhammer doesn't endangers you in becoming corrupted by the Sword, as that would only weaken your Lightpowers. You have the empowered holy One after the Class Campaign, an Ashbringer stronger than ever before. There isn't even the kristall left, it's only pure Light now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    But still he lost his insane potential, he could never again become that good he could have become before. Yeah, Vader is stronger as Anakin, because of further Practice. After all, he didn't lost his knowledge and worked really hard after that. But I don't see the comparison to the Ashbringer. As a Paladin, your strength comes totally from the Light. The Void is your Antithesis. Your old holy Warhammer is probably most of the times a better weapon than a corrupted Ashbringer, as the plain Warhammer doesn't endangers you in becoming corrupted by the Sword, as that would only weaken your Lightpowers. You have the empowered holy One after the Class Campaign, an Ashbringer stronger than ever before. There isn't even the kristall left, it's only pure Light now.
    my point was maybe by using a corrupted weapon, the paladin's faith would have to increase to wield it as good as the normal ashbringer.
    Holy shit lol

Deleted
    my point was maybe by using a corrupted weapon, the paladin's faith would have to increase to wield it as good as the normal ashbringer.
    I don't know. I wouldn't even try it, as if I would wield the corrupted Ashbringer, I would assume it can be pretty dangerous to lead too much holy energy through a weapon fileld with void energy. Like, call it Headcanon, but I imagine it could easily happen that such a weapon explodes in your hands.