Page 1 of 3
LastLast

So is it actually worth holding off on Suramar on alts now until you get your AK up ?

So we all remember that explanation Blizzard gave at the start of Legion that waiting to do Suramar until you have higher AK to maximize AP wasnt worth it

IIRC, reasons were:
    - you wanted to open up Arcway and CoS asap for extra mythic runs
    - at the very least you needed Friendly with Nighfallen for Uniting the Isles
    - back then AK took 5 days each
    - doing the first 6/6 questline is needed to unlock additional Suramar WQs (Im pretty sure some Suramar WQs still spawn even without doing 6/6)
    - etc.

but - is that still the case right now ? Lets say you level a new alt to 110 and you obviously want to get his AP/traits up ASAP .. Suramar gives a ton of AP, but not so much with low AK

the way i see it post-7.1 you wont need Friendly or Honored reps at all, so in 7.1 it definitely makes sense to me to hold off on Suramar, theres no rush

but even now in 7.0 it feels like you can just do the minimum enough entry quests for Friendly rep to unlock WQs and then start getting your AK up (work orders will be like 2-3 days on a new alt right now with catch-up) .. after you are almost caught up on AK - can blaze through Suramar for good AP

you wont have CoS And Arcway until 7.1 but that doesnt really matter IMO - thats just 2 dungeons and you have mythics+ and EN as a gear source now (unlike at launch)

Thoughts ?

I would unlock CoS/Arcway then stop til high AK levels. CoS/Arcway are too important to not have. Everything after that is purely story + WCs. If the intent is most bang for the buck, wait til like AK 15 then do them all.

Good question. I thought the AP quest rewards were fixed amounts. If they do indeed scale with AK then maybe I should wait.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I'm not sure it's massively worth it. The difference between the amount of AP gained from doing other things with your time vs. doing the suramar quests is always going to be the same % no matter when you do it, assuming you are playing that alt up actively.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    So we all remember that explanation Blizzard gave at the start of Legion that waiting to do Suramar until you have higher AK to maximize AP wasnt worth it

Thoughts ?
    I'm totally doing that. There is a lot to do even without Suramar anyway. In fact, I was planning to get an alt to 110 and leave her in the hall just researching AK while leveling the next, but I just can't stop nicking gear from world quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    Good question. I thought the AP quest rewards were fixed amounts. If they do indeed scale with AK then maybe I should wait.
    All non-repeatable quests have fixed amounts. World Quests are repeatable. All in all, I stopped bothering on my alt Demon Hunter once I unlocked the two mythics.

-Credit to Mythriz for the signature and avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    they scale with AK and there was a stink about it how it was potentially worth not doing Suramar until higher AK at Legion launch

Blizz explained back then (reasonably IMO) that that wasnt the case

but I think now, for alts, it might be

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I'm totally doing that. There is a lot to do even without Suramar anyway. In fact, I was planning to get an alt to 110 and leave her in the hall just researching AK while leveling the next, but I just can't stop nicking gear from world quests.
    thats pretty much my alt strategy ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Solonar View Post
    All non-repeatable quests have fixed amounts
    I finished the exalted quest line, it showed 9700AP - I waited a day to hand it in until I was at the next AK and it was over 11k.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by brunnor View Post
    I would unlock CoS/Arcway then stop til high AK levels. CoS/Arcway are too important to not have
    Why are they important? I for one will never run them, so I don't have any reason to unlock them asap.

I'm not touching Suramar on my alts. No one ever wants to run those two dungeons on Plus because they're harder than the others, and I'm tired of getting keystones for CoS on my main already.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Also you can collect BoA reputation for alt from champion mission when main at exalted.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post

IIRC, reasons were:
    - you wanted to open up Arcway and CoS asap for extra mythic runs
    - at the very least you needed Friendly with Nighfallen for Uniting the Isles
    - back then AK took 5 days each
    - doing the first 6/6 questline is needed to unlock additional Suramar WQs (Im pretty sure some Suramar WQs still spawn even without doing 6/6)
    - etc.

but - is that still the case right now ? Lets say you level a new alt to 110 and you obviously want to get his AP/traits up ASAP .. Suramar gives a ton of AP, but not so much with low AK

the way i see it post-7.1 you wont need Friendly or Honored reps at all, so in 7.1 it definitely makes sense to me to hold off on Suramar, theres no rush

but even now in 7.0 it feels like you can just do the minimum enough entry quests for Friendly rep to unlock WQs and then start getting your AK up (work orders will be like 2-3 days on a new alt right now with catch-up) .. after you are almost caught up on AK - can blaze through Suramar for good AP

you wont have CoS And Arcway until 7.1 but that doesnt really matter IMO - thats just 2 dungeons and you have mythics+ and EN as a gear source now (unlike at launch)

Thoughts ?
    Is it worth waitiing? Both yes and no. Yes in that pr.hour played, you will proberly get more AP out of doing the starting Suramar area then any other content. The coins, which you get from every single quest, can stack up to several 1000s of AP without AK and it might give you some good lvls if you have 200% AK. But there is a small problem with this. Getting into higher rep with the Nightfallen also gives other bouses then just the CoS and Arcway. By opening the vinyard area, you will increase your max ancient mana, which makes the Withered Traning easier, so you can get the AP bonuses in there. You will also open up for the later Suramar quests, which gives very high AP items and also good gear.

It is importent to also remember, that some of the high AP gains in the Nightfallen questline is actually from clearing CoS and Arcway and from getting higher rep with the Nightfallen. And to be completly honest, the AP/hour ratio by doing the suramar quests are not that massivly higher then just doing normal WQs. I would recommende just doing the questline when you can, because it is simply not worth waiting for. When AK goes down to 1 day or 12 hours, it might be worth waiting for 2-3 AK points, but not much more. Waiting with doing the questline might put you further behind in your Artifact progression then just doing the quests as they come.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

You will also open up for the later Suramar quests, which gives very high AP items and also good gear.
    they do ? which ilvl ?

I was under the impression pretty much all Suramar quests give AP only and no gear at all .. the only gear (few pieces) might come from Nightfallen rep vendor

opening the vinyard area, you will increase your max ancient mana, which makes the Withered Traning easier
    thats a good point actually, if you plan to run Wither Training consistently on your alt then progressing Suramar is a must

Quote Originally Posted by Solonar View Post
    All non-repeatable quests have fixed amounts. World Quests are repeatable. All in all, I stopped bothering on my alt Demon Hunter once I unlocked the two mythics.
    NO AP gains have fixed amounts. They ALL scale with AK, even the little shits you get from the random treasure chests (10 AP).

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kae View Post
    Honestly I'm not sure it's massively worth it. The difference between the amount of AP gained from doing other things with your time vs. doing the suramar quests is always going to be the same % no matter when you do it, assuming you are playing that alt up actively.
    Spot on.

You benefit from your AK by spending time gathering AP later on. Whether you're spending that time doing Suramar once-off quests or world quests doesn't really matter.

The reals questions are:
    1) how soon do you need the AP for your weapon on your alt?
    2) do you care to do all the Suramar content?

If you're keen to do all the Suramar content but put as little time into your alt as possible, and don't care to use your alt for raiding, then starting on your AK early and then coming back later to do all the Suramar stuff works well because your total time committment will be low. But if you're planning on playing your alt now anyway, then you may as well work on the Suramar stuff to get it done early.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Also you can collect BoA reputation for alt from champion mission when main at exalted.
    Do the tokens become BoA at exalted? I'm getting BoP ones right now.

Yes, absolutely it is worth waiting, I don't see how this would even be debatable.
    But obviously it also depends on when you want to play your alt. If you want him to join m+ groups right now and do some progression, the reasons why you should not wait given by Blizzard concerning your main char also apply to your alt.
    But if you say: I have so much to do with my main(s), and apart from logging in every other day to start the AR or do some WQ that offer item upgrades it obviously is worth waiting until you really want to play that alt.

Absolutely not worth it, because the level requirements for your artifact are WAY steeper than the increase in Artifact knowledge. Two levels now are by far more valuable than 1/8 of a level in 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    NO AP gains have fixed amounts. They ALL scale with AK, even the little shits you get from the random treasure chests (10 AP).
    That is not true. Some items do not scale but that is stated in the item description.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    That is not true. Some items do not scale but that is stated in the item description.
    I'd like to see an example of this, as I haven't seen or heard of any.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Absolutely not worth it, because the level requirements for your artifact are WAY steeper than the increase in Artifact knowledge. Two levels now are by far more valuable than 1/8 of a level in 2 months.
    You're assuming full time gameplay. The OP is about alts. ie putting off artifact leveling to let AK level up.