Poll: Do you miss reforging?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It was annoying after getting a piece of gear to have to enchant it, then add one of those armour piece upgrades, then socket it with a gem, then reforge it, and depending on what stats it gave you might have had to reforge other things too. I didn't have much gold in the past so it was a real pain that often made getting a new piece (or pieces) of gear sort of a chore.

It's better now, although I wouldn't mind a little bit of reforging now that there's other stuff to manage.

Yes. It was a rather helpful system back then and even more so now.

Artificially stretching the content, hoping for that RNG stats is only entertaining for a limited time. Reforging ensures that some of the harshest bad luck is countered.

Deleted
    Since we have lost most of our enchants, gem slots are not interactive anymore (no socket bonuses, no metagem activation bonus), we probably have the least possible gear customization since BC, probably even less than Classic (which definitively had more enchantments, in addition to weapon modifications like weapon oils etc.). Having reforging back would surely be good.

Quote Originally Posted by pitar99a View Post
    I'm absolutely in support of answer number 2.
    Option number two fully explains how Blizzard is spitting in the face of anyone trying to fully optimize their toon. After crafted gear there are literally zero items outside of pvp world quest drops that are fully optimized with both main stats on some classes.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

880 piece with my 2 worst stats, looks like i'm keeping the 845 with my best 2. feelsbadman.jpg
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

Deleted
    Reforging was pretty much an addon / calculator thing when you had 1 or 2 stats that had to be exact values. Now that hit and expertise are gone, reforging would be very nice to have back, especially since it would help with those situations where an item drops that should be an upgrade (10+ ilvls), but isn't due to having bad secondary stats. You can't control what stats items have, and with legendaries even more so.

I answered 2 on the poll, and I can't see any good reason for not having reforging be a thing again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being able to change stats around is nice but the act of reforging was boring and anyone saying it added some more complexity to the game is full of it. ReforgeLite, one click and done.

Would be helpful on my retadin right now though and trying to reach the haste cap. Overall I'd say no though, I'm living without it and the game hasn't changed at all with it gone.

Deleted
    Funny, how perception has changed.

But not mine. I always liked the system and I would still like to use it. I reeeeaaaally hate the living shit out of really bad statted gear which I have to wear, because of it's crazy high ilvl.

On the other hand - the whole gearing system has killed my excitement for gear anyways. I would call it up to the point of apathy.

No. It never really felt like it made you more powerful. Sure, your stats looked different and were closer to what a website told you you should want. But that was it. Very lame concept. Also removed the need to try to get gear with the stats you wanted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Being able to change stats around is nice but the act of reforging was boring and anyone saying it added some more complexity to the game is full of it. ReforgeLite, one click and done.

Would be helpful on my retadin right now though and trying to reach the haste cap. Overall I'd say no though, I'm living without it and the game hasn't changed at all with it gone.
    I don't think people advocate added complexity as much as "It sucks to have an upgrade NOT be an upgrade, purely because of RNG".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SilvaAger View Post
    No. It never really felt like it made you more powerful. Sure, your stats looked different and were closer to what a website told you you should want. But that was it. Very lame concept. Also removed the need to try to get gear with the stats you wanted.
    Items with the right stats would still be better, since reforging wasn't a 100% change in stats. With reforging the difference would just be much more manageable, and you wouldn't be stuck with a bunch of items that by all means should be upgrades, yet aren't because Blizzard doesn't know how to properly balance secondary stats.

So, counterpoint: If Blizzard could make secondary stats much closer in value to each other for all specs, I wouldn't want reforging. Since they obviously can't, it isn't exactly unfair to ask for reforging again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Degn89 View Post
    I don't think people advocate added complexity as much as "It sucks to have an upgrade NOT be an upgrade, purely because of RNG
    Eh personally I've played before reforge came into the game so it doesn't really bother me to keep chasing that better optimized gear. I understand the frustration though but for the "muh complexity" dummies I can't roll my eyes any harder.

Deleted
    Eh personally I've played before reforge came into the game so it doesn't really bother me to keep chasing that better optimized gear. I understand the frustration though but for the "muh complexity" dummies I can't roll my eyes any harder.
    Well, even back then it was kinda problematic. You had specific items that were much better than higher ilvl alternatives (Dungeon blues outperforming raid epics, etc), and just because it used to be a thing doesn't mean it isn't bad design. The difference in DPS today is also waaaay bigger, when comparing someone with proper stats and someone without proper stats.

I've had a 880 piece from heroic EM that I can't use because it's worse then my 825 piece just because there is no crit on it, even though a lot more intellect. Makes no sense.
    It might be a understatement to say that stat balancing is a bit off.

But I'd prefer better stat balancing in favor of a comeback of reforging.
    "MMMMMMMButtscratcher!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, even back then it was kinda problematic. You had specific items that were much better than higher ilvl alternatives (Dungeon blues outperforming raid epics, etc), and just because it used to be a thing doesn't mean it isn't bad design. The difference in DPS today is also waaaay bigger, when comparing someone with proper stats and someone without proper stats.
    Well currently I can only think of a few "dungeon blues" that out perform some raid items (trinkets etc) but personally I think it's more interesting this way instead of seeing >ilvl and insta equip.

I've missed reforging since it was removed - if Blizzard actually was able to balance stats to the point where for any given spec it was more of a choice of what to focus on for playstyle/fun versus "this stat is pure @#$@" then it wouldn't be as big of an issue but that will never happen. Bring back reforging, make it cost a LOT of gold for a nice gold sink...and watch all the HC raiders that raid log cry they can't afford it.
    Last edited by azurrei; 2016-10-10 at 02:23 PM.

Nah, you're alright.

Since they're implementing several features found in Diablo, maybe instead of bringing back reforging as it was, a system could we worked in that allows you to reroll stats on items at a cost (Seals of Broken Fate and some gold/mats, maybe?). You wouldn't have a guarantee the item would have optimal stats, but you could certain reroll them to something that would be better (with a chance of it being worse!) than when initially looted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Option number two fully explains how Blizzard is spitting in the face of anyone trying to fully optimize their toon. After crafted gear there are literally zero items outside of pvp world quest drops that are fully optimized with both main stats on some classes.
    How I love this type of rhetoric. SPITTING IN THE FACE.

I guess some of my guildies not earning their rng-dary yet would be like GENOCIDE AND CONFLAGRATION then.

And the state of some specs, like Affliction? LITERALLY WORSE THAN HITLER AND STALIN COMBINED.

It's always been like that, forge helped, but still shitty stats were shitty stats, making them less shitty helped a bit, but in general you play around what's in the game, not your dream items. The current tier doesn't drop your perf stats? Trinkets that are OP for others are kinda meh for you? Your tier bonuses are underwhelming? Tough shit m8. That was in every raid tier ever.

At least now, between lucky WQs, 10 rotating world bosses, Mythics and raids (which are only halfway open at this point anyway) there are many more options than what you'd normally see in most raid tiers in the past.

Deleted
    Well currently I can only think of a few "dungeon blues" that out perform some raid items (trinkets etc) but personally I think it's more interesting this way instead of seeing >ilvl and insta equip.
    Well, can we at least agree that seeing an item drop with much higher ilvl, and then proceeding to DE / vendor it, isn't exactly great either? I mean, part of their original reasoning was that you couldn't immediately equip an upgrade, but the current situation is that instead of not being able to immediately equip it, your vendor it or DE it. I don't see how that is an improvement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, can we at least agree that seeing an item drop with much higher ilvl, and then proceeding to DE / vendor it, isn't exactly great either? I mean, part of their original reasoning was that you couldn't immediately equip an upgrade, but the current situation is that instead of not being able to immediately equip it, your vendor it or DE it. I don't see how that is an improvement.
    Well yeah I'll agree when it comes to a huge ilvl discrepancy then it gets a bit ridiculous. Like an 830 trinket with Str/mastery is nice... and then you get an 875 trinket with str/ and uh lets say crit (something I don't really need). The raw strength alone should outweigh and be an upgrade but with the way stat priorities work at the moment that isn't always the case. So that is shitty when the only drop you get from a raid with titan forged/bonus is still not an upgrade.

Anything between 10~ ilvl is okay and I don't mind as much.