Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Erathil View Post
    We spent most of the expansion fighting negative-emotion smoke-monsters. I'm not sure I'd qualify it as tween, but it was cringe-worthy at any rate.
    Now, I get it. People who don't like MoP are "though guys".

You know that those "negative-emotion smoke-monsters" comes from an old god's corruption ? Why would Yogg's corruption be more believable than the one from Y'Shaarj ? Pretty sure going mad/bad guy because of your "emotions" overflowing (Y'Shaarj) is better than going mad/bad guy because... CORRUPTION AND MIND CONTROL <- because this is cliché and is just like "whatever".

It was a solid expansion overall, but it had its issues. It got off to a bad start with all the reputation gating, and afterwards every single patch dragged on for too long (especially the last one).

For me it goes: WotLK > BC > MoP = Legion >>> WoD >>>>>>>>>> Cataclysm (which is undoubtedly the worst incarnation of the game by far IMHO)

Because its was to try hard, to kiddy/cartoony and wasn't fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    They couldn't look past the pandas.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    The thing that gets me everytime this is brought up : "I don't like/I am not a fan/I hate Asian culture".

I'm pretty sure there are people that don't like "Vikings/Nordic culture" but they don't make that much fuss about WotLK and if they didn't like it that's never (or rarely) in their main points for disliking the xpac.

Don't really understand why people seem to be so butthurt about "Asian Culture", especially when it's based on "old culture" and not "modern".
    The difference is that the perceived (NOTE: That's what it looked like before XP release - whether it was true or not is a different story) main theme of the expansion was Pandaren. It's in the damn title.
    All other races which were added to WoW were just a 'side feature' and not the main selling point. You would see similar reactions for a Vrykul or Blood Elf expansion.

Big mistake on Blizzard's part.
    Last edited by Dangg; 2016-10-10 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Because war, genocide, emotions/feelings are ALL kiddy/cartoon stuff.
    God the maturity level of MMO posters is negative.

MoP was tied for best expansion to me. MoP=Wotlk > BC > WoD > Cata = Vanilla.

Legion is currently on track to tie the two up front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Because they hate pandarens and oriental theme, its the only "logic" explanation, MoP was awesome, but you know "urp durp kan fo penda??!?!!! wurzt epspamzium Vlezert, urp durp"

Quote Originally Posted by Xkiller9000 View Post
    lmfao, MoP was the 2nd best expansion, behind WoTLK. Idk who ur talking to to get that idea
    you clearly didnt play tbc

Quote Originally Posted by Fenzha View Post
    Don't get me wrong. The lvling and the initial gearing process was great but...

Past the first week of the expansion there was nothing to do for me. Theres pvp, dungeons, world quests and raid. I hate pvp, always have. I was done with running the same dungeons and world quests over and over again pretty early on and my first time stepping into the raid i was not impressed by any of the fights.

I cancelled my sub a couple weeks ago
    Not intending to be snarky, but if you don't like raiding, dungeons, quests or PvP, what kept you subbed for previous expansions? Because other than Pet Battles, I can't think of what else there really is in WoW.

For me it's Wrath > TBC > MoP > Cata > WoD > Legion (so far)

Mainly cuz the RNG bullshit with titanforge, sockets, warforged, legendaries, random m+ loot and shitty raid loot.
    Last edited by Morgaith; 2016-10-10 at 04:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    How was it any more try hard than literally everything before it or even after it? Genuine question.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    How was it any more try hard than literally everything before it or even after it? Genuine question.
    "Shadowy-negative-emotion-monsters" would be my guess.

It's my favourite so far.
    People talk about asian themes, but expansions have had a variety of different themes inspired by different cultures, and somehow it's only asian culture that seems to get so much hate.
    People talk about cheesiness and childish humor and story, but what expansion was not filled with cheesy and cringeworthy dialog and storylines? Wow has always had that often charming/sometimes cheesy type of humor.
    It's like everyone can be objective in every expansion, detach themselves from their preferences in theme and aesthetic, and judge it based on the amount and quality of content it produced, except for Mop, where almost the only argument against it is precisely aesthetic and theme.

I loved that the lore was new. They've been leaning on the RTS lore since forever, and mop was a breath of fresh air. It was rich. The attention to detail was amazing. We started seeing villages and houses teeming with little details that brought them to life. The artistic investment was incredible. I loved how they developed the different peoples, the mogu, the zandalari, the pandaren, the mantid. It had that appeal of an epic, ancient fable.

I was freakin tired of impending doom every couple of years, it seemed like we were experiencing a grey's anatomy finale every expansion.
    Mop ultimately had its villain, but the story built up to it. There wasn't an instantaneous expectation that you were going to fight the guy on the box when you were purchasing the expansion.

I honestly shake my head at people being mad with mop's tone. You're taking yourselves too seriously with this game ...
    I think they like other expansion's themes because of that generaly boyish type of entertainment that makes them feel like action figures in high stakes situations against a big badass villain, and mop barely had that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    Not intending to be snarky, but if you don't like raiding, dungeons, quests or PvP, what kept you subbed for previous expansions? Because other than Pet Battles, I can't think of what else there really is in WoW.
    The raiding, quests and dungeons kept me subbed for those previous expansions (mainly the raiding). Legion just doesn't. EN has been the worst raid for interesting fights in a very long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tratra View Post
    you clearly didnt play tbc
    OOH OOH! I DID! And I still think MoP was better than it lol. BC was great because it was the first expansion and the game was still super fresh. I will never deny that but seeing the shit people complain about now and actually remembering BC I can't imagine how much it would get torn to shreds today. Content gating? Remember having to grind to fucking revered with every rep before you could run its corresponding Heroic? I sure as hell do. I also remember having to attune every character to raids. That original Black Temple attunement was fucking insane lol.

I'll admit I do miss SOME of that because now it's too easy to get into stuff but at the same time there needs to be a middle ground. Cause god damn haha

The drunk bunnies and evil carrots and other nonsensical things like that killed the game for plenty of people. They dailu rep gating at the beginning certainly didn't help. Acenarios were a big miss also, so bad they only were live for part of MoP and scrapped for WoD. Then we have HoF just a dog shit raid. Split 1st tier of raiding making MSV a waste of time within a few weeks is also bad design.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Just couldn't get into the theme and stories really. If that's not in place, the best game systems in the world won't matter to me (not to say MoP had the best systems).

I liked 5.2 patch. I really liked Flex. Lorewalkers. The mantid story arc. It had some neat stuff, but the problem for me was... I just didn't care. Pandaren were just too silly. Stormstout Brewery was the first dungeon that introduced me to MoP and it included rabbits and high pitched voice Alementals. Complete turn off from what I expected from a Warcraft expansion.

It's totally true to say that Warcraft always had some crazy side humor. Just look at the new Illidan questline. Look at Goblins and Gnomes in general. Engineering. But it was always a complimentary comic relief to an otherwise serious main storyline. Arthas and the scourge. Demons. Etc. When the main story arc tracked you through the beautiful valleys of Pandaria, where you just met a lot of fat, drunk Pandaren... that's not what most people expect from Warcraft.

That's why I really hate when people say "Warcraft was always silly". It always did have a subtle sense of humor, but it was NEVER PRIMARILY SILLY. Not until MoP.

So when people say it was "Kung Fu Panda". They aren't saying Warcraft can't be silly at times. They are saying WoW went from 80% serious and 20% silly, to a different proportion that just became more of a turn off.

Knee jerk reaction to Pandaren, because playing a game suitable for 12+ year olds in any other expansion was MANLY and MATURE!... In their minds. Completely overlooking the Shado-Pan, the Mogu empire story, the war, the turmoil we caused and all the VERY serious moments.

MoP had light-hearted, but claiming that Pandaren are silly for a fact = ignoring all the very much serious storylines they were involved in and DIDN'T feel misplaced in. Perhaps they're just unable to see nuyances in stories and fixate on absolutes? I don't know. It's like people calling Kung Fu Panda silly, completely overlooking that the themes handled are VERY grown up and dark... genocide, anyone?

MoP was amazing. 5.2 is my all-time favourite patch, and a tall order for Legion to match.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-10-10 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Because war, genocide, emotions/feelings are ALL kiddy/cartoon stuff.
    God the maturity level of MMO posters is negative.

MoP was tied for best expansion to me. MoP=Wotlk > BC > WoD > Cata = Vanilla.

Legion is currently on track to tie the two up front.
    The war/genocide/sha stuff couldn't counterbalance the cartoony bullshit, sorry. Just take the opening cinematic.

10+ Year Old Account
    They got butthurt over Pandas, that's basically it. MoP was an amazing expansion rich in lore, content and beautiful scenery. But it was definitely a different feeling than what WoW was up till that point and people generally oppose change because it makes them uncomfortable.