Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    When I was getting my associates degree in networking there was a guy in my cisco classes and my sql classes. Probably in his lat 50's early 60's. He's wheelchair bound and can only really move one of his fingers and his head. Has to have a nurse with him 24/7. He's been taking one class a semester for I think the past decade and he's finally almost done. Only a few classes left last I talked to him. I don't think he'll be able to do anything with the degree when he gets it but I admire his determination to finish it.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

You are 25 !!! You are still SO young !!
    Are you going to live with regret of not doing what you wanted for the rest of your life, just because of a couple of years???
    If you have the opportunity to do it, I think you should.
    I am 22, just finished my 4-year bachelor in fine arts, and I'm going to apply for another next year. I am privileged to have that opportunity and I will take it and honor it.
    There are so many people who are deprived of their education, who have unfulfilled dreams because life didn't permit them to go to college and learn about their passions ... A couple of years shouldn't be a problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    I went back when I was 38. It was no problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Even if this was true, it's not a black or white, all or nothing issue. Just because others might be a bit ahead of you doesn't mean that it's all worthless and for nothing.
    Think about it though. Someone who is 25 and going back to college is basically doing what an 18 year old is doing. That means the 18 year old is seven years ahead of the 25 year old. You can't make that time up no matter who you are. Being 25 and going back to college is basically just admitting that you've wasted the last 7 years of your life which are the most important. I can't stress enough how important 18-22 is because those are the last years where your brain is actively trying to learn instead of being a stubborn mule.

I mean there are people that went to college at 18 and now are 25 and already are married with kids and live in an actual house. You can't measure up to them if you're someone starting college at 25.

7+ Year Old Account
    My aunt went back and became an RN at 50
    My great grandmother went back and got a Masters I n mathematics in her 80s from DePaul.

I am back at 41 as an Environmental Science major

It's never too late, but I wish that I had done it at 20

Deleted
    You can never be to old to learn. Never.

My uncle retired from the Navy, and did the entire 'retired' thing then got bored. Same with my dad after he got out. While my uncle went back to college, my dad went to school to drive a semi... and now has his own little trucking business he runs with my mom. They're doing really well. My uncle just graduated, and is now... a missionary/preacher/religious thing of some kind. Can't quite recall, and I'm not around to ask... let alone, care. Fact of the matter is... my dad was in his late 40s. My uncle is in early 50s... when they decided to do both of those. You're never to old to learn.

That was about 8-10 years ago. So they're both doing great now :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Think about it though. Someone who is 25 and going back to college is basically doing what an 18 year old is doing. That means the 18 year old is seven years ahead of the 25 year old. You can't make that time up no matter who you are. Being 25 and going back to college is basically just admitting that you've wasted the last 7 years of your life which are the most important. I can't stress enough how important 18-22 is because those are the last years where your brain is actively trying to learn instead of being a stubborn mule.

I mean there are people that went to college at 18 and now are 25 and already are married with kids and live in an actual house. You can't measure up to them if you're someone starting college at 25.
    this man speaks the truth it's too late now.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semiprodota View Post
    I'm in a very similar situation to you. I also have an associates and dropped out a few years ago. I'm now 24 and just returned to university. I felt the same about being to old but quickly remember why I dropped out in the first place.

I had no idea what I wanted to do or be. I had not worked a real full time job for shitty wages. I didn't have the faintest idea what life has in store after you leave your parents house. The more I think about it the more I realize going back to school a little older and wiser is a blessing not a curse.

Also the fact that you have an associates already will likely make your schedule a little more lax, needing less electives or general education classes.

However, if you do decide to go back make sure you are certain it's what you want to do so you don't waste your time/money.
    I actually want to start completely over. Most of my credits are not applicable to what I want to study, and some of them are honestly useless- gym class, for instance. They made us take a phys-ed class to graduate. Besides, the school is currently in danger of losing its accreditation, kinda making me question if it was worth it to go there in the first place.

And I'm making damn sure I know what I want to do- been doing lots of research into it.

I will be living on my own for the first time as well. Looking forward to that- trying to have my driver's license by February, and I am being given a car that needs the head gasket replaced and the power windows fixed, plus $400 for what's left of the note- I know where my refund check's going this coming year!

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you can always go back.
    "The Russians can't beat us at anything--they can't even feed themselves." Woody Hayes

Deleted
    What if you own an actual house and then go back to college? I mean, it always depends on your personal situation - and if you have family or not etc.

Like I said: I am not denying that you are behind people who graduated before you even start in terms of age. You obviously are. But it's still not "all or nothing", and while you might be at a disadvantage it can still give you an advantage compared to your personal prior situation.
    I don't think you'll make your own life worse compared to how it was before by going to college. Because if you were happy with it, chances are that you won't do that anyway; you'll rather do it because you want to change something. And for that, it's not too late at 25.

You are never too old. I went back and did my degree after screwing about first time around. I was 25 when i started my second degree. I did my masters in education at 30 and was training alongside others who were in their late 40's - mid 50's too.

Never too late. Want it. Get it.

I am now a teacher and my job has true meaning. I did it much for the same reason you are saying. I did not want to work at a place like Walmart my whole life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah. I'm 24 and just got my Bachelors (switched often). Now gonna work a bit and planning on doing a masters in 1-2 years. Just pick what makes you happy. And maybe follow it in a different country, where you won't end up with a massive debt?

That isn't always true. I was engaged at 18, we went to college together for 2 years and got an A.A.S. We got married when I was 22, I decided to go back to school, he did not. We have both always worked and made enough to buy a house prior to me getting my B.A.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was an undergrad, I always held some resentment toward the non-trads (non-traditional students... ie people from later in life who went back to college for any number of reasons) because they always seemed to be trying to take control of the lecture or class from the professor. Then, years later, when I was a non-trad, I got to generate that resentment as I countered the points of a lot of idiots working in the halls of higher academe.

People around here go to college no matter what age. Community college at least.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I'm 31 and just started a computer science degree. Not happy with my accounting career.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    When I was an undergrad, I always held some resentment toward the non-trads (non-traditional students... ie people from later in life who went back to college for any number of reasons) because they always seemed to be trying to take control of the lecture or class from the professor. Then, years later, when I was a non-trad, I got to generate that resentment as I countered the points of a lot of idiots working in the halls of higher academe.
    I had the same feeling towards non-trads when I was first in school. I just wanted to get the lecture done and get out of there. Now I realize the non-trads were actually trying to learn....

Deleted
    If you wanna got back to college to get laid then yes you can be too old.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been thinking of going back to college myself -never got a degree. But right now I have to focus on making sure I have enough moolah to support my family (twins and wife. And two cats.) before even dreaming of going to college.

Working on a few things to 'self-sustain' an income (Android app, novel, etc.) so I can hopefully get my college-degree. Plus, it never hurts to have multiple degrees.

No, but there will be a lot of baggage you need to work through. So, I will give you unheeded advice.

--Go to the best school you can get into. Prestige is relevant and these schools are better, especially if you're going to be a student that pushes him/herself. Anybody who says otherwise is lying.
    --Exploit scholarships. Few people actively search for and apply to them and there are thousands of them waiting for you and they can make you come out of college with a surplus.
    --Socialize. It's good for your health and grades, especially on those days where you need extra accountability to study in a timely manner.
    --Disconnect yourself from unnecessary stress such dramatic family members and friends.
    --Work out.
    --Explore upper level classes early on to find things you may or may not like but do not be discouraged by the complexity. Hard work is really all you need to succeed.
    --Use and file your education tax credits. Thinking of pirating a book? No need to go blind reading your 14" notebook everyday. You get $2000 of $2000 and $500 of another $2000 refunded every year.