Quote Originally Posted by Arenis View Post
    While RS isn't the powerhouse it was a decade ago, it still has a healthy amount of players it seems. Though it kinda makes me wonder about the future of RS, when a third to a fourth of the player-base prefers a ±10 year old version (OSRS) above the current day one (RS3).
    Only reason they prefer old school is because RS3 fucked the entire game up by trying to be like WoW. Introducing combat skills and shit. RS3 is crap tbh and I'm not saying that out of Nostalgia. Point is though Runescape offers the option for those who want to play that version.

I have a feeling if Legacy isn't announced at Blizzcon there are gonna be so many tears. Along with "But I was promised" posts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Whatever happens at Blizzcon we are getting a legit legacy server or Nos.
    Quoting for posterity and amusement when they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I have a feeling if Legacy isn't announced at Blizzcon there are gonna be so many tears. Along with "But I was promised" posts.
    blizzard doesnt make promises.
    they make extremes.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

It's going to be an interesting Blizzcon, at least for those wanting legacy realms. I'd love to see Blizz announce something about it, but I don't foresee it. So we'll see what Nostalrius does. Hopefully they relaunch, in a country safe from shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    It's going to be an interesting Blizzcon, at least for those wanting legacy realms. I'd love to see Blizz announce something about it, but I don't foresee it. So we'll see what Nostalrius does. Hopefully they relaunch, in a country safe from shutdown.
    I personally don't think they will. Threat/ultimatum was just to try and rattle Blizzard imo which I doubt they even care about.

I personally don't think they will. Threat/ultimatum was just to try and rattle Blizzard imo which I doubt they even care about.

Perhaps. If that is the case, then I'll just wait for Crestfall to launch their Vanilla server.

Perhaps. If that is the case, then I'll just wait for Crestfall to launch their Vanilla server.
    Well they were initially going to shutdown because they were unable to maintain costs so I heard.

Yes, but this time around the whole WoW community will know about it. I hope they can maintain this kind of pressure on the servers

Pretty much guaranteed we'll get quality vanilla realms soon at this point (most likely from Blizzard itself). Of course there is always the clueless modern version of "they don't have the code" crowd to deny it.

Quote Originally Posted by parcus View Post
    Pretty much guaranteed we'll get quality vanilla realms soon at this point (most likely from Blizzard itself). Of course there is always the clueless modern version of "they don't have the code" crowd to deny it.
    If people are still using that argument then lol. All they said they don't have the code for is minor hotfix patches and stuff like that which I can imagine. But with the amount of workload they seem to putting into each game I doubt we will see an announcement at Blizzcon.

if there was going to be legacy servers.

how many people would pay for it vs how many people would want it free.

i assume if it shows up, it will cost something per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post

Should be free with your basic sub imo. Or it's own separate sub from the main one.

Should be free with your basic sub imo. Or it's own separate sub from the main one.
    i say separate if its going to be treated like it.
    it also has to make money in order to actually justify being there.

If people are still using that argument then lol. All they said they don't have the code for is minor hotfix patches and stuff like that which I can imagine. But with the amount of workload they seem to putting into each game I doubt we will see an announcement at Blizzcon.
    They said they don't have the metadata for Vanilla, because that's the database that has been updated to this day. They do have the code, but the code is only half of it: spell/ability damage values, monster health values, experience values, stuff like that, they're all stuff that would have to be re-done for Vanilla servers to become a thing. The devs even commended the Nostalrius team on their diligence coming up with numbers that "felt" like Vanilla (even though they weren't), but they made it clear that on top of any work adjusting the code itself (both client- and server-side to integrate them with their modern technologies) they'd have to rebuild all those tables.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    They said they don't have the metadata for Vanilla, because that's the database that has been updated to this day. They do have the code, but the code is only half of it: spell/ability damage values, monster health values, experience values, stuff like that, they're all stuff that would have to be re-done for Vanilla servers to become a thing. The devs even commended the Nostalrius team on their diligence coming up with numbers that "felt" like Vanilla (even though they weren't), but they made it clear that on top of any work adjusting the code itself (both client- and server-side to integrate them with their modern technologies) they'd have to rebuild all those tables.
    According to the meeting they have the entire source code. Just not stuff for minor patches they have done so all that would have to be rebuilt.

According to the meeting they have the entire source code. Just not stuff for minor patches they have done so all that would have to be rebuilt.
    Yes, and the stuff I was talking about isn't the source code. And even the source code will have to be adjusted to match current serverside hardware and network requirements (because Blizzard has set themselves different standards since Vanilla), on top of coming up with those patches they said they're missing.

Anyway, the programs themselves are only half the story. All the data regarding the numbers in the game isn't hardcoded into the program otherwise it would be hell to perform, say, balance changes. That kind of information is held in a database (the metadata), and as opposed to the source code, which is saved in versions, the metadata is a live file, it gets updated as the game moves forward. That's the serverside stuff that lets them change damage values without requiring a hotfix, and it doesn't go into data repositories in the same way as source code.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post

I have no problem paying a subscription fee for Vanilla. I'd only take issue if they also had cash shop stuff... like buyable levels. That would be a deal-breaker for me.

I have no problem paying a subscription fee for Vanilla. I'd only take issue if they also had cash shop stuff... like buyable levels. That would be a deal-breaker for me.
    Don't worry stupid shit like that will get requested along with "PLZ REMOVE AMMO AND REAGENTS" along with asking for lfr, lfd and other crap that doesn't belong in Vanilla. Already had people posting that in this thread throughout its existence.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-10-10 at 08:14 PM.

Holtzmann stop talking like you have a clue. There is absolutely 0 chance they have not version controlled data like damage values for monsters, item data, etc. It's seriously cringe worthy when people who have no idea what they're talking about make multiple posts about it as if they were in a position of authority.