Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Demons corrupted by Old Gods/the Void

I wonder if this is possible.

I can't imagine by the end of this expansion we take out ALL demons in existence. If only we somehow "break" the Burning Legion and all demons just go renegade (much like the zerg did after we killed the Overmind in the first Starcraft) and roam space and Azeroth.

At any rate, my main question is the possibility of demons being corrupted by the Old Gods/Void Lords and how that could spell out in the next expansion if it is the Void Lords/Army of the Light expansion.

We do have that one quote from the Shadow Priest artifact weapon:

Xal'atath whispers: Here you will see why the Legion's invasion is ultimately futile. All can be corrupted, dreams and demons alike. (in Val'sharah)
    Although it's been said we cannot trust what the dagger says many of its quotes, while all being the dagger's perception, are not entirely false. I suppose mostly it's the dagger's opinions through observations.

Then we have Xavius.

A night elf made into a demon then into an agent of the Old Gods. I do not remember if he technically "died" when he was turned into a tree and made into the Nightmare Lord, or if he "died" during the Stormrage novel.

However he remains a satyr - a demon - while feigning allegiance to the Burning Legion and still working with his Old God masters.

Malfurion Stormrage yells: No doubt Xavius and his ancient master delight that so much of our attention goes to fighting the Legion. Their insidious shadow seeps into our world, distracting us with whispers and doubts. (in Emerald Nightmare)
    If the formula of corrupting demons is like what we see with Xavius, is that indeed true corruption? Xavius makes this quote during the Guardian Druid artifact quest:

- edit -

I cannot find the actual quote anywhere. However I do know it was changed in live from what it was in the beta.

Beta: "...I have seen the power of the Old Gods!"
    Live: "...I have been empowered by the Old Gods!"

So based on Xal'athath's quote that demons can be corrupted, but given the only demon we've seen being in league with the Old Gods doesn't even really come off as corrupted, more so willingly accepting power from them. Could demons POSSIBLY be 100% dominated/corrupted by the Old Gods and can corrupted demons play a role in the Old Gods/Void Lords expansion?

10+ Year Old Account
    At best it means anything can be corrupted for the agenda of the Old Gods. Sure Xavius was a satyr but he still was more involved with the Old God stuff.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Well ultimately, Void is the daddy or mommy of demons. A void being like Xhul'horac(?) was "corrupted" into fel, so I think it's absolutely possible it could happen vice versa. Imagine if Sargeras was actually the Titan the Void Lords wanted to corrupt. There was also mention of nathrezim that worshipped old gods, in the Chronicles or something. Overall, many demons draw their powers from the Void so it wouldn't surprise me if there were non-Legion demons that regarded the Void Lords as their masters.
    Last edited by mmoc7955db53d7; 2016-10-09 at 07:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speculating wildly, my guess is that either:

1. Sargeras loses control of the Legion to the Void and allies with us.
    2. Sargeras is corrupted by the Void and becomes that which he sought to destroy.

Xavius successfully remaining an agent of the Legion while serving the Void solidified that for me. We know Sargeras fears and hates the Void, but they have already infoltrated his ranks.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Chronicles states that void lords cant corrupt a mature titan.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Just as much as Illidan became what he sought to defeat(Sargeras), that much Sargeras became what he sought to defeat(Void).

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be very interesting if we saw demons brought under the control of the Void/the Old Gods.

Chronicles mentions that Sargeras first encountered the Old Gods on an infested world that was also populated by Dreadlords, who were 'basking' in the powers of the Old Gods. Seeing demonic lifeforms that used Void rather than simply fel would be cool, and might show demons taking on new forms unlike any we've ever seen before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Nathrezim have always struck me as being pretty close to the Void almost naturally. They share common themes (shadow, insidiousness, corrupting/possessing individuals, etc. etc.) - and their history has connections with the Old Gods back before the majority of them became part of Sargeras' Burning Legion. If they aren't annihilated along with the Legion I could imagine a sizable portion of their kind defecting to the Void Lords' banner.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    I actually think they never stopped working for the voidlords. The voidlords must have realised that Sargeras at one point may have posed a threat, I think that was when he killed the worldsoul that was alread completely corrupted. Corrupting a still slumbering wordsoul is their only chance to get into creation personally and they almost had it, when Sargeras came along and killed it. That cannot have gone unnoticed, they must have looked for a way to ... hm, steer him, I'd say, as they cannot really control him.
    He was going mad at quite a pace after he had met the Nathrezim and after the 'vision' he recieved after the first 'visit' to Azeroth he gave up on his initial plan completely, the only plan that the voidlords may have been 'afraid' of. I think that vision was a nice little cooperation of different powers from the Void. Or maybe not even the vision itself, only what he made of it.
    This only makes sense ofc, if Xalatath is right and the void can indeed corrupt demons, which I think she is.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalay View Post
    I actually think they never stopped working for the voidlords. The voidlords must have realised that Sargeras at one point may have posed a threat, I think that was when he killed the worldsoul that was alread completely corrupted. Corrupting a still slumbering wordsoul is their only chance to get into creation personally and they almost had it, when Sargeras came along and killed it. That cannot have gone unnoticed, they must have looked for a way to ... hm, steer him, I'd say, as they cannot really control him.
    He was going mad at quite a pace after he had met the Nathrezim and after the 'vision' he recieved after the first 'visit' to Azeroth he gave up on his initial plan completely, the only plan that the voidlords may have been 'afraid' of. I think that vision was a nice little cooperation of different powers from the Void. Or maybe not even the vision itself, only what he made of it.
    This only makes sense ofc, if Xalatath is right and the void can indeed corrupt demons, which I think she is.
    I have kind of always thought that the Void Lords had a hand - if not the whole hand - into making Sargeras fear of a potential void-corrupted titan. I am not sure if Blizzard entirely retconned the original "Sargeras falling into despair over countless of eons of demon fighting" simply to "seeing a planet with a world soul almost 100% corrupted by the Void causing him fear" is the whole truth. My reasoning:

(1.) How were the titans able to gauge how powerful a world-soul was to become once it was born? Unless it is some inate ability that titans can sense within other titans, I don't see how Sargeras stumbles upon a planet with a world-soul almost 100% corrupted... and for him to become SO scared that he destroys it, pleads to the Pantheon, takes matters into his own hands... out of fear.

Enter the Void Lords. Through Sargeras' encounters with the dreadlords on the Void Lords planet, the Void Lords MUST have gotten into his head through whispers, or visions, or whatever (just as the Old Gods do) to make him scared much much more than he probably should have. This, a form of "corrupting" that we've seen with Neltharian becoming Deathwing.

Sargeras is first and only titan to encounter the corrupted world-soul ---> the added fear put in his mind by Void Lord whispers causes him to lash out in fear and destroy world-soul ---> Sargeras relays info to the Pantheon about the potentially terrible power, and since Sargeras was the only one to encounter it... the Pantheon knows only what he told him. Although the Pantheon still didn't act on his warnings (as the Chronicle leads into the battles of Sargeras vs the Pantheon) ... the only knew what was told by him. What the Void Lords WANTED Sargeras to think/feel/fear.

Hmmm, so perhaps another instance of the non-traditional corrupted we've come to know in this game... more so the Void Lords purposely pushing Sargeras to stray off the path.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I think it would be very interesting if we saw demons brought under the control of the Void/the Old Gods.

Chronicles mentions that Sargeras first encountered the Old Gods on an infested world that was also populated by Dreadlords, who were 'basking' in the powers of the Old Gods. Seeing demonic lifeforms that used Void rather than simply fel would be cool, and might show demons taking on new forms unlike any we've ever seen before.
    Sometimes they do use Shadow magic, but it's rare. Mostly Fel, I personally feel like the Void Lords don't have a monoply on Shadow Magic.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FunctionalSTR View Post
    I have kind of always thought that the Void Lords had a hand - if not the whole hand - into making Sargeras fear of a potential void-corrupted titan. I am not sure if Blizzard entirely retconned the original "Sargeras falling into despair over countless of eons of demon fighting" simply to "seeing a planet with a world soul almost 100% corrupted by the Void causing him fear" is the whole truth. My reasoning:

(1.) How were the titans able to gauge how powerful a world-soul was to become once it was born? Unless it is some inate ability that titans can sense within other titans, I don't see how Sargeras stumbles upon a planet with a world-soul almost 100% corrupted... and for him to become SO scared that he destroys it, pleads to the Pantheon, takes matters into his own hands... out of fear.

Enter the Void Lords. Through Sargeras' encounters with the dreadlords on the Void Lords planet, the Void Lords MUST have gotten into his head through whispers, or visions, or whatever (just as the Old Gods do) to make him scared much much more than he probably should have. This, a form of "corrupting" that we've seen with Neltharian becoming Deathwing.

Sargeras is first and only titan to encounter the corrupted world-soul ---> the added fear put in his mind by Void Lord whispers causes him to lash out in fear and destroy world-soul ---> Sargeras relays info to the Pantheon about the potentially terrible power, and since Sargeras was the only one to encounter it... the Pantheon knows only what he told him. Although the Pantheon still didn't act on his warnings (as the Chronicle leads into the battles of Sargeras vs the Pantheon) ... the only knew what was told by him. What the Void Lords WANTED Sargeras to think/feel/fear.

Hmmm, so perhaps another instance of the non-traditional corrupted we've come to know in this game... more so the Void Lords purposely pushing Sargeras to stray off the path.
    Something like that was what I was thinking, yes. Especially after reading that he actually learned about the voidlords' plans from a Nathrezim he questioned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well Demons really only follow Sargeras because he super charged them with fel and sets them loose which is basically what the OGs do as well with their minions.

Quote Originally Posted by FunctionalSTR View Post
    I wonder if this is possible.

I can't imagine by the end of this expansion we take out ALL demons in existence. If only we somehow "break" the Burning Legion and all demons just go renegade (much like the zerg did after we killed the Overmind in the first Starcraft) and roam space and Azeroth.

At any rate, my main question is the possibility of demons being corrupted by the Old Gods/Void Lords and how that could spell out in the next expansion if it is the Void Lords/Army of the Light expansion.

We do have that one quote from the Shadow Priest artifact weapon:

Although it's been said we cannot trust what the dagger says many of its quotes, while all being the dagger's perception, are not entirely false. I suppose mostly it's the dagger's opinions through observations.

Then we have Xavius.

A night elf made into a demon then into an agent of the Old Gods. I do not remember if he technically "died" when he was turned into a tree and made into the Nightmare Lord, or if he "died" during the Stormrage novel.

However he remains a satyr - a demon - while feigning allegiance to the Burning Legion and still working with his Old God masters.

If the formula of corrupting demons is like what we see with Xavius, is that indeed true corruption? Xavius makes this quote during the Guardian Druid artifact quest:

- edit -

I cannot find the actual quote anywhere. However I do know it was changed in live from what it was in the beta.

Beta: "...I have seen the power of the Old Gods!"
    Live: "...I have been empowered by the Old Gods!"

So based on Xal'athath's quote that demons can be corrupted, but given the only demon we've seen being in league with the Old Gods doesn't even really come off as corrupted, more so willingly accepting power from them. Could demons POSSIBLY be 100% dominated/corrupted by the Old Gods and can corrupted demons play a role in the Old Gods/Void Lords expansion?
    Of course it's possible a lot of them like the Eredar were corrupted by the Demons to begin with which means they are capable of being corrupted.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I'm most interested in is why the Old Gods want Sargeras to show up during the War of the Ancients...they almost certainly want to use the Legion for some reason

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    What I'm most interested in is why the Old Gods want Sargeras to show up during the War of the Ancients...they almost certainly want to use the Legion for some reason
    That was made clear in WotA trilogy. They wanted to use the portal to escape their prisons. Also, they got beaten down into their prisons so hard they forgot how badly they're outclassed by the titans and thought they could take Sargeras.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    The sole reason the Old Gods wanted Sargeras to show up during the War of the Ancients, is because his presence alone would sunder the planet enough to free them from their prisons. Also no idea if it is still cannon, but there was line in Krasus's prophecy that said "Even Sargeras would plead for the mercy of death, if all the Old Gods where set free"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallien View Post
    Also no idea if it is still cannon, but there was line in Krasus's prophecy that said "Even Sargeras would plead for the mercy of death, if all the Old Gods where set free"
    That line was always bullshit. Krasus basically operated on rumors and hearsay. Pretty much everything he said was wrong and inconsistent.

Deleted
    I think the power of the Old Gods comes largely from corrupting beings without them noticing, by means of their own feelings and thoughts, though in some cases they may have come out at some point and told the being to cooperate with them (like Azshara). Once the victims are mad enough, they won't notice any stronger meddling on the Old Gods' part.

Maybe Blizzard can still hold true to what Krasus said in WotA by simply saying his prophecy was about the voidlords, only at the time he didn't know about them, he knew only the Old Gods. Which is already close to the truth, because after hearing about the voidlords, Sargeras wanted to go and extinguish all life in the universe.. that can count as pleading for the mercy of death for a mad Titan maybe.

Btw... do our characters with ingame knowledge know about voidlords? Have they ever been mentioned ingame at this point? I mean with all the implications we are discussing here, not some kind of unspecified entity that blew up the Ethereals' planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalay View Post
    Btw... do our characters with ingame knowledge know about voidlords? Have they ever been mentioned ingame at this point? I mean with all the implications we are discussing here, not some kind of unspecified entity that blew up the Ethereals' planet.
    That was Dimensius the All-Devouring.