Thread: Diablo 4?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Warcraft3 was good because it had an epic story and a seriously innovative way of making custom maps. If Warcraft 4 is to be popular(outsider of Selling great because its a blizzard Warcraft game) it needs a good story and something new and innovative. I Think the 2nd part is what blizzard is battling with for making wc4.

Just another rts isnt going to cut it when it comes to Warcraft
    That's not the only reason though. The story was great, but it didn't keep people playing it all the time. It was far more popular than SC2 is for example. Another WC RTS could be huge. But yes it would need a good story to get people to give it a shot. They'd need to bring back someone huge for it. Like Medivh for example who played such a huge role in 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    a diablo mmo would do well, i think. it's different from the other fantasy games out now. the just constant darkness of it would be such a break from the norm. also, they could finally let us play as an angel or demon. it'd be great.

but i really hope they do one more expansion for diablo three before diablo four. they gotta wrap up that borderline cliffhanger at the end of reaper of souls.
    Yeah I'd love an MMO in the Diablo world. A mature rated MMO set in heaven, hell, and all that's inbetween. As you said choosing to play as an angel or demon would be very cool.

i'd love to see MMO in the Diablo universe, or RPG like skyrim etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post
    Yeah I'd love an MMO in the Diablo world. A mature rated MMO set in heaven, hell, and all that's inbetween. As you said choosing to play as an angel or demon would be very cool.
    do it like swtor does classes, too. same gameplay mechanics of the classes, but different visuals and names. like let demons have some kind of necromancer type thing with a different name, humans have necromancers, and angels have reapers. all function the same way, but look different and maybe use different weapons.

personally, all my characters would be angels probably. angels are just too cool looking in diablo. that armor is just sick. demons are typical demons, humans are boring ol' humans. but angels, they're just amazing looking.

Hmm the d1/d2 HD remake looks like it maybe more likely than the D4 tease.

David Brevik (Lead Programmer on Diablo I & Project & Design Lead on Diablo II) and Bill Roper (former Vice President of Blizzard North) have both recently visited the Blizzard headquarters according to their twitter accounts. This visit comes shortly after the Game Director position for a Diablo game was taken off Blizzard's job board.

Could be nothing, could be getting the old boys back in to redo that magic.

A remake is probably more fitting for an anniversary. Blizzcon cant come soon enough :/

if anything, D4 is the most remote and unlikely of the options. I mean, they have just released D3 and another APRG would just saturate the market and put in competition with d3 itself, hence it's a crap idea all around. Really, there is ZERO reason for them to do so.

However, if we have to look at the only tangible lead we have - the new opened job positions - there's definitely something new going on. Latest couple of positions about UI Designers are specifically and explicitly about Diablo 3. New UI elements usually equals new content, so it's likley we're going to get something more for D3. I don't think it's a new expansion at this point, but could be a big-ish patch, maybe with alternative progression methods and/or Paragon revamp.

About the other job postings for an "unannounced project in the Diablo universe": the thing that comes to the eyes is that most of them require the usage/knowledge of systems that are currently not used or not present in the D3 engine; meaning that they're going to make a new one.
    A new engine is definitely something too big for a D1/D2 remake, so my guess is that they are going to announce/present a new game in the Diablo universe, but it's NOT D4. As others pointed out, it may be a sort of Skyrim/Dark Souls in the Diablo universe, but sure as hell it's not going to compete directly with D3 (at least for now).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    if anything, D4 is the most remote and unlikely of the options. I mean, they have just released D3 and another APRG would just saturate the market and put in competition with d3 itself, hence it's a crap idea all around. Really, there is ZERO reason for them to do so.

However, if we have to look at the only tangible lead we have - the new opened job positions - there's definitely something new going on. Latest couple of positions about UI Designers are specifically and explicitly about Diablo 3. New UI elements usually equals new content, so it's likley we're going to get something more for D3. I don't think it's a new expansion at this point, but could be a big-ish patch, maybe with alternative progression methods and/or Paragon revamp.

About the other job postings for an "unannounced project in the Diablo universe": the thing that comes to the eyes is that most of them require the usage/knowledge of systems that are currently not used or not present in the D3 engine; meaning that they're going to make a new one.
    A new engine is definitely something too big for a D1/D2 remake, so my guess is that they are going to announce/present a new game in the Diablo universe, but it's NOT D4. As others pointed out, it may be a sort of Skyrim/Dark Souls in the Diablo universe, but sure as hell it's not going to compete directly with D3 (at least for now).
    I wish they would just rehire the staff that made diablo the diablo it was before they fucking took a 180 with 3. Rehire Blizzard of the north employs and make diablo great again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I wish they would just rehire the staff that made diablo the diablo it was before they fucking took a 180 with 3. Rehire Blizzard of the north employs and make diablo great again.
    And then lose nearly all the customers since the only ones appealed by older Diablo game snow are 99% nostalgia bearers.

I mean, D2 is awesome and is on many levels better than D3, but i don't see D2HD to be the big hit everyone claims it will be. It will be a nice perk, nothing more. Games evolved a lot, so anything following D3 in the Diablo universe needs to bring something new to the table.

If I was a betting man I would say they milk it for more expansions. It gets them just as many box sales with about half the work. Not to mention it delivers most of what fans want anyway. Seems like a no brainer. As for Diablo crossing over to another genre.. it's possible but I suspect it would take Blizzard having another action RPG in the line up. That's why Warcraft wasn't hard for them to do because they still had SC dominating the RTS market and they lacked an MMO. Blizzard doesn't seem to like to compete with itself and that makes sense.

So right now blizzard has a FPS, RTS, MMO, DC, MOBA, and a card game. Seeing another one of those is unlikely in my opinion. Blizzard Mario kart game where they use franchise folk would be right up their ally since it's a blanket copy of another game and they have the lineup depth of characters to pull it off. Not to mention pretty simple. Or a smash bros type game along the same concept. Both also have big time micro transaction opportunities which we know the gaming industry loves and both genres with that style are under utilized on the PC.

Of course it's all speculation and not exactly what I want (Diablo MMO, SC RPG would be the dream) but it's just a more likely scenario I could see unfolding.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Blizzard doesn't seem to like to compete with itself and that makes sense.

So right now blizzard has a FPS, RTS, MMO, DC, MOBA, and a card game. Seeing another one of those is unlikely in my opinion.
    Yes, basically my entire reasonning is based on this. Blizzard has a game of each type, but they "miss" a single robust single player story-driven RPG like Witcher 3, or Skyrim. I would go (and would really like) up to something like Dark Souls which imho with more focus on gear (which DS has already) would be awesome.

Point is i also don't see it coming. DS is a niche game and widely popular but not for everyone. Much of its difficulty is based on having to figure stuff out by yourself and learning attack patterns, which is awesome and compelling for some, but extremely tedious for many others. Given the direction Blizzard games are taking recently (mass popularity = median skillbar lowered) i just don't think it will be happening.

That's why something ala Witcher 3/Skyrim is more likely to happen.

Yes, basically my entire reasonning is based on this. Blizzard has a game of each type, but they "miss" a single robust single player story-driven RPG like Witcher 3, or Skyrim. I would go (and would really like) up to something like Dark Souls which imho with more focus on gear (which DS has already) would be awesome.

Point is i also don't see it coming. DS is a niche game and widely popular but not for everyone. Much of its difficulty is based on having to figure stuff out by yourself and learning attack patterns, which is awesome and compelling for some, but extremely tedious for many others. Given the direction Blizzard games are taking recently (mass popularity = median skillbar lowered) i just don't think it will be happening.

That's why something ala Witcher 3/Skyrim is more likely to happen.
    I would love to see something like that. I also feel its a likely avenue. My only fear for it is Blizzard also kinda has this bug for e-sports / heavy multi-player stuff and those games often aren't amazing on the multi-player front. Although we did see Mass Effect pull it off pretty effectively so anything is possible.

And then lose nearly all the customers since the only ones appealed by older Diablo game snow are 99% nostalgia bearers.

I mean, D2 is awesome and is on many levels better than D3, but i don't see D2HD to be the big hit everyone claims it will be. It will be a nice perk, nothing more. Games evolved a lot, so anything following D3 in the Diablo universe needs to bring something new to the table.
    I didnt say remake diablo 2. I said rehire blizzard of the north, and make dialob 4 what 3 SHOULD have been. There is a reason diablo 2 STILL has ladder seasons, and a sizable playerbase 10+ years later. In fact its creeping on 15 years lifespan for this game. A game made before different resolutions and highdef graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I didnt say remake diablo 2. I said rehire blizzard of the north, and make dialob 4 what 3 SHOULD have been. There is a reason diablo 2 STILL has ladder seasons, and a sizable playerbase 10+ years later. In fact its creeping on 15 years lifespan for this game. A game made before different resolutions and highdef graphics.
    Yeah, i would love that But i don't see Blizzard make a game which is direct competitor with another of their products (as bad as it may be compared to its predecessor).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    I would love to see something like that. I also feel its a likely avenue. My only fear for it is Blizzard also kinda has this bug for e-sports / heavy multi-player stuff and those games often aren't amazing on the multi-player front. Although we did see Mass Effect pull it off pretty effectively so anything is possible.
    Agree - though the point stands; they don't have a string single player game running, and given their current direction (making new games covering new genres) it's a plausible hypotesis.

Yeah, i would love that But i don't see Blizzard make a game which is direct competitor with another of their products (as bad as it may be compared to its predecessor).

- - - Updated - - -

Agree - though the point stands; they don't have a string single player game running, and given their current direction (making new games covering new genres) it's a plausible hypotesis.
    Then they better give us warcraft 4 if we arnt geting a diablo 2 sequal.

A certain part of Diablo 3 was dead on arrival. It never really captured that magic of Diablo 2. Over time it became a moderately better game but it still never lived up to 2 and it died as a result.

Blizzard can either:

a. Make a second expansion which will not sell as well as the first and will quickly drop off players like the first one did
    b. Make a new game and actually make it good at launch this time
    c. Abandon the franchise and leave the ARPG genre to die in peace

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Hmm the d1/d2 HD remake looks like it maybe more likely than the D4 tease.
    I will never buy another Blizzard game as long as I live if they do this.

I really hope they don't make another D3 expansion. The game already struggles with processing all the information in the game in high density. If they were to add more stuff the engine would probably explode.

The game needs a new engine more than anything so I much rather have D4 than an expansion for D3.

Before D4 we will see a new expansion. RoS can even be considered D4 in a way since the game changed almost completely. Only the engine and a few other minor systems remained.

So yea, no D4, just another expansion that revamps the game. Hopefully so.

What I want:
    HD versions of D1 and D2

What we could get:
    D4

What we will receive probably:
    D3 Expansion with PvP

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    So yea, no D4, just another expansion that revamps the game. Hopefully so.
    I don't think so. Hype for the game has died down too much to just release a new expansion unless they are willing to bundle the original game and RoS with it but I doubt that would happen.

D4 or an HD remake of D1 and D2 is what is probably going to happen. I want the latter less than I want to have my limbs sawed off my body but I think it is very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    What I want:
    HD versions of D1 and D2

What we could get:
    D4

What we will receive probably:
    D3 Expansion with PvP
    Until some shingamiajinga is happening, i don't think we will se an expansion - maybe a big patch for D3.

i hope d4 has a quality pet class

witch doctor was mostly bleh compared to necro