Depending on you server's AH, probably not profitable to get Rank 3 Alch recipes

On my server, prices on the AH are:

Fjarnskaggl: 85
    Foxflower: 85
    Starlight Rose: 175

Flask of the Seventh Demon: 2000

Each Flask of the Seventh Demon's crafting cost is around 2925 considering AH prices. (7x Starlight, 10x Fjarn, 10x Foxflower)
    So for each try that you make a flask of the seventh demon, you are losing approximately 1000 gold. (if you're chasing rank 3)

Now if you have rank 3 of this flask, you have the chance to get extra flasks.
    From the comments I've read on Wowhead and other forums, each craft results in about 1.5 flasks. This is taking into consideration that some procs give you x20 and some give you x1.

If the cost of this flask is only 2000 on the AH, and the expected return is 1.5 flasks per craft, that means you're getting about 3000 gold (2000 x 1.5) for 2925 in mats.

As more and more people get rank 3, I can only expect the prices of the flask itself to go down on the AH.

So if you're one of the unlucky ones like me who have yet to get rank 3, it makes better economic sense to sell your herbs than hope RNJesus blesses you.

Everything above depends on your server's herb/flask prices, and if Blizzard buffs/nerfs the proc rate.

7+ Year Old Account
    Or just farm your own herbs / advertise ALOT that you will make them for guildies who provide the herbs.

Does suck that they sell for cheaper than mat cost

Quote Originally Posted by Thra View Post
    Or just farm your own herbs / advertise ALOT that you will make them for guildies who provide the herbs.
    Does suck that they sell for cheaper than mat cost
    But then why not just sell the herbs and buy the flasks...?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    But then why not just sell the herbs and buy the flasks...?
    Because then you won't get rank 3? Which could possibly proc an extra 19 flasks for free?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thra View Post
    Because then you won't get rank 3? Which could possibly proc an extra 19 flasks for free?
    Personal thoughts right now are the difference is too much to not sell the herbs. If the price of herbs drops I'll start crafting but since rank 3 is RNG and not guaranteed I'm going with the bird in hand over the two in the bush. I've made 300k so far this expansion. That's pretty decent even if it's not at 100% efficiency.

supply and demend, the demend for herbs is much higher then the demend for flasks, it will drop once the botters start getting rank 3 herbs and more ppl will have rank 3 alchemy.
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Personal thoughts right now are the difference is too much to not sell the herbs. If the price of herbs drops I'll start crafting but since rank 3 is RNG and not guaranteed I'm going with the bird in hand over the two in the bush. I've made 300k so far this expansion. That's pretty decent even if it's not at 100% efficiency.
    Yea I get that. I'll continue buying the herbs and flipping them

300k is decent!

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nice.. where do you find the best place to farm herbs is?

this is why im trying to figure out what to drop alchemy for. pots and flasks sell for less than the herbs, and on my realm vial of the sands is going for 1k over the crafting cost. so alchemy isnt worth having.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaderas View Post
    Nice.. where do you find the best place to farm herbs is?
    Depends what herbs you want to farm. Just try googling "X farming route" and see what comes up

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    this is why im trying to figure out what to drop alchemy for. pots and flasks sell for less than the herbs, and on my realm vial of the sands is going for 1k over the crafting cost. so alchemy isnt worth having.
    If you're a tank or healer, enchanting isn't that bad. Spam heroics and mythics to get mats, and then sell enchants

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    If you're a tank or healer, enchanting isn't that bad. Spam heroics and mythics to get mats, and then sell enchants
    i already have enchanting.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Juts consider yourself lucky if you get a rank 3 recipe at all. I've made 700 flasks so far, probably twice as many potions and utility potions, and not a single rank 3 recipe. Still stuck at mana and rejuvenation potion rank 1, too.

What people are QQ about ?? I make like 3+millions gold on Alchemy only , it is the most profitable profesion even if you buy herbs .