Thinking of re rolling monk, is it worth it?

Considering re rolling my Mage and trying our monk and using my free lvl 100 boost.

However I've never played them before, only just got back into wow since a break from mid cata and I don't see many monks in dungeons and there's none in our guild. Is there any reason for this?

I'd probably play a dps spec monk, is the play style difficult? How easy are they to pick up? Why are they so unpopular in the game right now? Do dps monks bring anything to the game that other classes don't right now?

Thanks for answers in advance

Quote Originally Posted by fragga View Post
    Considering re rolling my Mage and trying our monk and using my free lvl 100 boost.

However I've never played them before, only just got back into wow since a break from mid cata and I don't see many monks in dungeons and there's none in our guild. Is there any reason for this?

I'd probably play a dps spec monk, is the play style difficult? How easy are they to pick up? Why are they so unpopular in the game right now? Do dps monks bring anything to the game that other classes don't right now?

Thanks for answers in advance
    Hey!
    Not sure how experienced and how ahead You are with Your mage, but considering how the expansion is against alts (imo), I would really think of it again, before rerolling.
    Mage is a strong class and will always be.

On the other hand I heartily welcome another monks to our crew to decrease our gap between our classes, because as You have noticed, we are low currently. Why? I believe it's because that the WW monk wasn't easy to play in previous expansions and was not the best dps.
    I can say this on my own experience - I've tried WW Monk at the beginning of MoP, I really like that kung-fu stuff and the abilities, but monks were overwhelmed by them. I rerolled after first raid tier and didn't touch it until the Legion changes.
    So basically I am new to monk as well, but love it's performance (hitting 90-99s in logs), love it's mobility and of course it has two other specs if You are bored with the DPS one. I find it fun, easy to play, but also hard to master.

Do they bring something? Well, depends what You are willing to do - they are super strong on AoE, so running Mythics+ in Dungeons is easy. Currently they are not so far away from the top, but this may change of course (in balance terms).
    Unfortunately, they do not really have that much utility.
    We have an 10% movement speed increase aura for people in 10 yards. With one of our legendaries, March of the Legion it's increased to 25%. It's probably the best legendary in the game.

So, if I were You, ask Yourself again;
    What I don't like on my mage? Is it ranged dps? Is it the spec? I assume You are fire - maybe I'll try the other one? Arcane is getting boosted too and has hilarious hidden artifact appearance.
    Do You want to 'lose' the time by rerolling the class?
    Read more about the monk You decided to roll on: http://walkingthewind.com

If You still struggle with the mage, I highly recommend checking the Windwalker.

Anyways, welcome to the monks!
    Last edited by ErothTV; 2016-10-11 at 11:45 AM.

I am a menace to my own destiny.

@ErothTV : Best Reply, I 100% second what you just wrote - I personally don't play Windwalker, (I don't like the playstyle) but this is what I hear from other WWmonks out there.

//Tallens'out

They are unpopular because nearly everyone who plays WoW hated MoP for whatever reason.

I think the people that play Monks enjoyed MoP. I didn't start playing WoW until MoP so my opinion is heavily biased, however at the time I was really invested into my Ret Paladin and was not playing a Monk back then. I made a Monk at the tail end of WoD because I always wanted to play it because I personally found it interesting.

I play a WW, and transitioning to that from a Ret Paladin was easy as I was already really familiar with pooling resources and such (holy power/chi). I love everything about my Monk, the theme, animations, play-style, emotes, etc, then again I'm biased because MoP is when I started playing WoW.

Just my thoughts.

Deleted
    I really had a hard time finding the class for me in Legion, but at last I found my home with a windwalking monk. I never tackled WW, I healed a little bit in hfc, never tanked with brewmaster. I found WW rather complex and right now it has a decent amount of complexity without being to unforgiving, just about right for my taste.

Without having the best clue about WW, I manage about 200k on ST fights in EM in 850 gear (normal, haven't had the time to tag along for the HC action with my guild), and I strongly believe that there is quite some room for improvement. I really like the mobility, I like that there is no RNG involved - at least compared to outlaw, e.g. - but it is all gear and skill dependent.

First, I started MW, the healing specc. It has a large toolkit which I liked more than healing on my druid, that means that it has a larger skillcap, but it's rewarding. I only healed hc dungeons and a bit in raids, so my opinion might not be relevant to you.

If you reroll now, sure, you will lack your artifact knowledge and the general power of your artefact weapon, especially on monk (it is advised to specc into a specific trait, leaving the golden dragons for quite a bit of time. At ~24, you will have all the dragons, and it's supposed to be quite a damage push. You will be quickly at 16-18 where I am standing now with artefact knowledge 1. Furthermore, getting into a melee spot can sometimes be a bit of a hassle, even while you bring superb AoE for mythic+, you will have better chances with a AoE fire mage + bloodlust.

In the end: Try the class, there is a WW class trial available, and decide for yourself. Good luck!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would honestly recommend against it unless you:
    A) Like a class who has specs that are traditionally hampered by gimmicks.
    B) Like a class whose specs have to work harder than equivalent specs from other classes to achieve the same results.
    C) Are ok with the Monk thematically and visually. Monk sets are almost always poorly received by the already small monk community. Theres a reason you see most of us running around in rogue/druid offset transmogs - our own gear usually looks like shit.

Having said the above, i would go on to state that the monk is not inherently bad at any of its given roles. But monk specs are very easy to be bad at. Especially Brewmaster.

If all you want is to be a badass leather melee, then rogue is almost certainly the safer option. WW has been a rollercoaster of buff and nerfs over the years. Rogues always have at least one dominating spec to choose from. They also get the most powerful defensive toolkit in the game. If you really want to be a WW however, you will enjoy top notch mobility and very strong defensives to go with amazing cleave damage, but you will only ever be mediocre on on ST.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2016-10-11 at 12:44 PM.

Pretty much what was said above. I would not recommend re-rolling. If you've invested a lot of time in your mage stick to it. Legion is just not alt friendly. They are extremely gear dependent but once you get it and nail the rotation with combust, you will love it. Plus you have 3 specs to play with in future in case one goes to shiet which it never really does. I play a fire mage and outlaw rogue pretty much together. Fire mage is def one of the most rewarding class/spec that requires coordination with your CD's and rotation. Do the class trial and see. It will be a pain to start all over again with no artifact knowledge. Blizzard really needs to make this account wide.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    C) Are ok with the Monk thematically and visually. Monk sets are almost always poorly received by the already small monk community. Theres a reason you see most of us running arond in rogue/druid offset transmogs - our own gear usually looks like shit.
    If you do not manage to mog your monk aesthetically you need to go the way of irony. I found a great inspiration from the UK series "Hello Britain":

I think monks across the board are easy to understand but difficult to be really good at. WW definitely requires practice and is probably one of the harder dps classes to play but they do good dps if you know what you're doing and have insane cleave. I know you main WW, but I main MW and think it's the most fun class I've played since I started playing wow back at the beginning of wotlk. With that being said I don't plan on leveling an alt or rerolling anytime soon just because it's so time consuming with artifact power and order hall research and what not like the above posts mention
    Last edited by hamshake; 2016-10-11 at 03:27 PM.