Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    No, to me, Ned not telling Cat about Jon is the biggest plot hole in the entire ASoIaF series.
    I don't see it as a plot-hole at all. There's the typical Stark honour that got them all killed in the first place in action that makes perfect sense from Ned's perspective. On top of that, when they were married they had met like, just couple of times, including the wedding and Ned had no real reason to trust her with such secret and then it build from there.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Also people do stupid shit. I don't think that's bad writing to try realistically portray the faults of humans and they make mistakes. Ned probably could have told Cat, and helped Jon not have a miserable life but he made a promise and kept it which is completely in line with his character the most honorable man in westeros, even if logic and hindsight would say a different option would have been better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    This may be a late response, but I think there's a much simpler explanation.

In order to sell the lie, Catelyn needed to hate Jon. If she knew the truth she would have loved him, and that love would jeopardize the lie, and Jon's life. No matter how committed she might have been to maintaining the deception, she would not have been able to fully hide her love.
    It's no better for someone's pride to pass for a cuckhold than really be a cuckhold. Being pitied or ridiculed is not easy for someone with Catelyn's pride. Therefore, I doubt she would have loved Jon very much even if she had known the truth. It's easier to accept the pity and the ridicule if you believe you were really cheated than if you know that you are pitied or ridiculed unjustly.The real reason for Ned's discretion is that he was not sure that his wife, whom he barely knew, would accept to keep such a secret. In a way, he was even protecting Cat by not telling her.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I don't see it as a plot-hole at all. There's the typical Stark honour that got them all killed in the first place in action that makes perfect sense from Ned's perspective. On top of that, when they were married they had met like, just couple of times, including the wedding and Ned had no real reason to trust her with such secret and then it build from there.
    He may not have had a reason when they were first married....but after she bore 5 of his kids? Any time after they had truly become partners? Probably before Jon was old enough to realize how much she hated him? Before he went to KL, a known place of political tomfuckery?

He may not have had a reason when they were first married....but after she bore 5 of his kids? Any time after they had truly become partners? Probably before Jon was old enough to realize how much she hated him? Before he went to KL, a known place of political tomfuckery?
    Even so, I return it to the Stark honor which got them all neatly killed off like they should've been.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I guess so. It seems like such a huge character flaw for someone who seemed to have a good grasp on reality and the very mantra of his House, which basically paraphrases to "Bad shit will happen, you better be prepared.". I mean, he can see how bad Stannis's unbending nature is, but was equally unbending on this? He knows the foolishness of Robert and the slyness of the Lannisters, but isn't prepared for them to basically kill him? After all, he went to KL *with* knowledge from the letter that Lyssa sent that Jon Arryn was murdered by the Lannisters (according to her).

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ned Stark was doomed from episode 1, regardless of his actions. It's not his fault. It was out of his hands, he just played along trying to keep it as Honorable as possible. It might have looked stupid, but that's only because you forgot who Ned Stark was... i.e. Sean Bean.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Oh boy, she's going home!

Deleted
    Who gives a fuck about Arya when we've got confirmation that this badass will be back

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Who gives a fuck about Arya when we've got confirmation that this badass will be back
    Maybe they will have some scenes together.

10+ Year Old Account
    More Stark reunions..... STARK reunion, the family that's been butchered. You kidding?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    More Stark reunions..... STARK reunion, the family that's been butchered. You kidding?
    Seriously, who cares about the Starks? Mormonts should be running the show up North.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously, who cares about the Starks? Mormonts should be running the show up North.
    You gonna pass it around or are you planning on chugging that joint alone?

Well, I did care about Starks during Red Wedding, in the sort of "Reaping what you've sown, morons." way. <.<

All Hail Lady Lyanna Mormont!

Bella Ramsey essays the role of Lyanna Mormont with such elan . Can't wait to for the next season! All Hail Lady Lyanna Mormont!

- - - Updated - - -

Can't agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoey141 View Post
    Bella Ramsey essays the role of Lyanna Mormont with such elan . Can't wait to for the next season! All Hail Lady Lyanna Mormont!

- - - Updated - - -

Can't agree more!
    Is this some sort of new advertisement method?

Lyanna Mormont and her permanent scowling can gtfo. People are so easily pleased if she's this loved after 2 forced scenes where she stands up for the starks. Please.

THE MORMONTS HAVE BEEN WITH THE STARKS FOR A 1000YEARS. stfu no on believes a 10 year old is that good of a public speaker
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2016-10-14 at 05:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get hyped: Tyrion will meet Davos in Dragonstone! Both Hands are meeting. Will they talk about an alliance? A wedding, maybe?

Also, Joe Dempsy is back. When will we be meeting him? I bet you won't guess... Dragonstone

http://watchersonthewall.com/filming...de/#more-73824
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Damn, what a camera. He sniped that shit from a ways away, lol.
    Fucking predatory lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess so. It seems like such a huge character flaw for someone who seemed to have a good grasp on reality and the very mantra of his House, which basically paraphrases to "Bad shit will happen, you better be prepared.". I mean, he can see how bad Stannis's unbending nature is, but was equally unbending on this? He knows the foolishness of Robert and the slyness of the Lannisters, but isn't prepared for them to basically kill him? After all, he went to KL *with* knowledge from the letter that Lyssa sent that Jon Arryn was murdered by the Lannisters (according to her).
    Ned should have married better. Catelyn was the downfall of the Starks.