Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Macroing FR to Everything

Before you flame me, just hear this out. It's pretty well known that Arms is a very intense spec to play efficiently, not to mention perfectly. Yet at the same time, the PVE single target dps rotation/priority is not complex, rather it is quite simple and linear. It simply comes down to execution and pressing the right buttons at the right times.

To that end, what I've been experimenting with - and with good results - is to macro FR to all my regular spells (charge, CS, MS, slam, BC [you should already be doing this]). Additionally, I bind the "regular", non-FR version of the main spells to a modifier. My basic hypothesis is this: we are busy spamming FR more often than not.

We do not cast FR when we have:
    1. 3 stacks of FR, outside of a BC
    2. Less than 30 rage. I.e., we would have to wait for rage to MS if we cast FR.
    3. Execute

On the other hand, we spam FR all the frickin time. After charge. Between CS and MS. After MS. And again.

So basically I just faceroll all my shit as normal, except I keep an eye out for my FR stacks and press the modifiers when I'm at 3 stacks or when I'm under 30 rage.

I urge you to analyze and attempt this playstyle. Also, please offer input on which other cases we DO NOT want to be FRing.

With the new apls you hit FR very rarely. Only with tact procs, to not rage cap, and during BC. So, these are extremely unnecessary. Also, macro'ing FR to MS (or simply hitting them both together) can cause a bug where the FR buff is consumed immediately without adding damage. Basically FR adds a 4th seldom used button to a 3 button rotation, so any of these macros are unnecessary. But if that's how you play it's fine, there's no right or wrong, but it's a lot of time, thought and effort towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by globezorz View Post
    With the new apls you hit FR very rarely. Only with tact procs, to not rage cap, and during BC. So, these are extremely unnecessary. Also, macro'ing FR to MS (or simply hitting them both together) can cause a bug where the FR buff is consumed immediately without adding damage. Basically FR adds a 4th seldom used button to a 3 button rotation, so any of these macros are unnecessary. But if that's how you play it's fine, there's no right or wrong, but it's a lot of time, thought and effort towards it.
    I am seeing this notion that slam > FR except in tactician proc between CS and MS. What changed? I thought FR was > slam on the priority list?

And if what you're saying is correct, then our rotation becomes (outside of battlecry):

CS (FR) -> MS -> slam until Tactician -> Repeat from CS

Is this correct?
    Last edited by Ggurface; 2016-10-11 at 05:33 PM.

Hey.

I think you're doing the rotation very wrong if you think you should FR that much! With the last 40% to 30% FR nerf, FR has lower damage per rage than Slam. This means you'll only be using FR to not ragecap or after a CS so it goes into a SD MS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velinn View Post
    Hey.

I think you're doing the rotation very wrong if you think you should FR that much! With the last 40% to 30% FR nerf, FR has lower damage per rage than Slam. This means you'll only be using FR to not ragecap or after a CS so it goes into a SD MS.
    We'll find out today if the rubber meets the road on the sim. After preaching this without having real life logs to back it, I bet you hope you're right

Quote Originally Posted by Ggurface View Post
    I am seeing this notion that slam > FR except in tactician proc between CS and MS. What changed? I thought FR was > slam on the priority list?

And if what you're saying is correct, then our rotation becomes (outside of battlecry):

CS (FR) -> MS -> slam until Tactician -> Repeat from CS

Is this correct?
    Yes, that's the basics of it. What changed is slam is better than FR, and FR is only used now because any other talent choice and we'd be rage capping, it also still has awesome synergy with DC and AM which are too good not to take.

Quote Originally Posted by sjsctt View Post
    We'll find out today if the rubber meets the road on the sim. After preaching this without having real life logs to back it, I bet you hope you're right
    Haha, I hope so too. The nightly sim-c build uses a slam based APL now at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velinn View Post
    Haha, I hope so too. The nightly sim-c build uses a slam based APL now at least.
    Yeah--I'm always reluctant to preach stuff till I have real world data. You guys aren't holding back at all though. You put it all on black and let it ride.

You're going to rage starve yourself doing this. Just bind FR to a mouse button. Also, you should be using slam over FR now anyway, except after a CS proc when SD is up for the next MS

Would FR after a non tactician CS also be correct? E.g. in the opener

Would FR after a non tactician CS also be correct? E.g. in the opener
    It's used any time you'll have shattered defenses and will be using it with MS

Deleted
    Is it normal to find myself rage starved with this new priority list ? I'll gladly admit I suck at arms, so what would be the most probable cause of it if it's not ?

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    If you have the legendary gloves this is pretty much it, otherwise limit your user of fr considerably

Before you flame me, just hear this out. It's pretty well known that Arms is a very intense spec to play efficiently, not to mention perfectly. Yet at the same time, the PVE single target dps rotation/priority is not complex, rather it is quite simple and linear. It simply comes down to execution and pressing the right buttons at the right times.

To that end, what I've been experimenting with - and with good results - is to macro FR to all my regular spells (charge, CS, MS, slam, BC [you should already be doing this]). Additionally, I bind the "regular", non-FR version of the main spells to a modifier. My basic hypothesis is this: we are busy spamming FR more often than not.

We do not cast FR when we have:
    1. 3 stacks of FR, outside of a BC
    2. Less than 30 rage. I.e., we would have to wait for rage to MS if we cast FR.
    3. Execute

On the other hand, we spam FR all the frickin time. After charge. Between CS and MS. After MS. And again.

So basically I just faceroll all my shit as normal, except I keep an eye out for my FR stacks and press the modifiers when I'm at 3 stacks or when I'm under 30 rage.

I urge you to analyze and attempt this playstyle. Also, please offer input on which other cases we DO NOT want to be FRing.
    I'm going to be as honest and blunt as possible here, so bare with me..That's the stupid fucking thing you could EVER do. Do not do this.

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreSick View Post
    I'm going to be as honest and blunt as possible here, so bare with me..That's the stupid fucking thing you could EVER do. Do not do this.
    Why not? Everywhere I have read so far is telling me not to cast FR when outside of battle cry(inside of battle cry I should be spamming it due to deadly calm)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by datboi View Post
    Why not? Everywhere I have read so far is telling me not to cast FR when outside of battle cry(inside of battle cry I should be spamming it due to deadly calm)
    You have to check the dates of when this thing was posted, The rotation priorities changed every week so far. Right now FR is barely used since Slam is proven to give you a higher DPS/DPR. It's only used to prevent you wasting rage by hitting the cap or between CS > MS even though you die a little inside when the FR and MS proc tactician

Deleted
    Is it really worth macroing tho ?
    You'll just add another bind for the purpose of simplifiying like 5 button presses in a 4.5 seconds window.

I wouldn't bind FR to anything. That sounds a lot like the era of Gladiator warriors macroing Heroic Strike and rage starving themselves terribly.

However, I do have a separate macro with FR and Hamstring together for Battle Cry spam.

I don't bind it to anything. I have it on an easy to hit key and binding it to something may be better *sometimes* but there's so many situations in which you would never want to do it.