Need help with Shadow DPS

I need a lot of help with Shadow DPS. I'm normally Disc but my guild wants me to run Shadow Priest. I read through a bunch of guides and no matter what I do I feel like my dps is just god awful. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Here's the log of my latest EN run as Shadow. Character is Mesina.

www[dot]warcraftlogs[dot]com/reports/D2yf9bV6HdwNACvG

TL;DR for logs - 180k Nyth, 209k Ursoc, 142k Elerenth, Tanked the ground for Dragon, 132k Ilygnoth, 140k Cenarius, 173k Xavius

I looked over your Xavius parse and also looked you up on Armory. You have way more passive haste than I do and I can still pull over 300k DPS on Xavius. Just as a disclaimer, I do have the Chrono Shard and Strand of the Stars combo and Mangaza's Madness.

From what I could tell, you're not using Void Torrent and Power Infusion often enough and/or at the right times. When you go into Voidform, you should be torrenting within a few seconds. I always VTor right after a Voidbolt. I also PI after VTor. As my ability to stay in Voidform has gotten better, I've started popping PI a bit later. I used to pop it at about 10 stacks, but now I pop it at 20. The objective is to get 100% of your PI inside of your Voidform. Try to hit 40 stacks without StM using PI and VTor. VTor may not do a lot of damage directly, but it will make your dots do way more damage if you have the Mass Hysteria trait.

You also don't use your manafiend. On your Xavius fight, you used it once and he did 869k damage at the cost of ONE GCD. It's up every minute, which means you could have gotten 6 casts off. You missed out on over 4M damage. That alone doesn't seem like much, but it all adds up.

By the way, don't be that douche that drops out of the Dream state early because he blew StM at the start. Stay in it, do mechanics for awhile, then blow StM and melt face.

I also noticed you're not using combat potions. Use them when you're at high VF stacks in StM. Are you flasking, eating 375 haste food? What golden traits have you gotten on your weapon?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nariera View Post
    I need a lot of help with Shadow DPS. I'm normally Disc but my guild wants me to run Shadow Priest. I read through a bunch of guides and no matter what I do I feel like my dps is just god awful. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Here's the log of my latest EN run as Shadow. Character is Mesina.

www[dot]warcraftlogs[dot]com/reports/D2yf9bV6HdwNACvG

TL;DR for logs - 180k Nyth, 209k Ursoc, 142k Elerenth, Tanked the ground for Dragon, 132k Ilygnoth, 140k Cenarius, 173k Xavius
    Ursoc fight:

Only two SWD cast, you could have squeezed one or two during the execute phase (you should sit on one in case of emergency and on two in very late STM), but you did loose dps because you held back too much.

STM:

Casted way too late, lasted roughly 75 second instead of the 100+ you should aim for.

Only one void torrent cast, you should squeeze one voidtorrent earlier in the fight (as soon as you pop STM) to be able to cast another one one minute later. During that try, if you did so, you could have actually done it.

Other than that, the numbers during STM are odd. Only 400kdps after 60 sec of STM seems weird. Are you playing with mass hysteria or without ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I was in a similar boat and outside of the guides the biggest things that helped me were:

-Think of the fight as a clock, knowing how long the fight is lets know know when to pop your CDs. So in a 2 minute fight you can get in three PIs and VoidT pretty freely. Practice on StM, ideally it is around 100stacks you are shooting for so this is 100 seconds which is over a minute and a half, get a feel for what VF stack you can get and aim to pop StM when you have that much left in a fight.

-Think of your dps as a snow ball you have to do well in void form early to dps before StM each void form you should be aiming for 27-40 stacks without StM this changes on movement and gear. This takes the most practice because you will have to know your rotation very well in voidform.

-When you are below 120% haste you have two fillers between each voidbolt and above 120% you have one filler between each voidbolt.
    Last edited by Thrayne; 2016-10-12 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrayne View Post
    I was in a similar boat and outside of the guides the biggest things that helped me were:

-Think of the fight as a clock, knowing how long the fight is lets know know when to pop your CDs. So in a 2 [sic] minute fight you can get in three PIs and VoidT pretty freely. Practice on StM, ideally it is around 100stacks you are shooting for so this is 100 seconds which is over a minute and a half, get a feel for what VF stack you can get and aim to pop StM when you have that much left in a fight.
    I was going to come back to say this and you beat me to it. Look at your guild's kill times for each boss and work out how many and when to use your CDs. Of course, deduct some time each week due to increased item level and further optimization of other players in your raid.

If you find yourself casting StM too late or too early, don't beat yourself up. This takes time and getting used to. There's a Weakauras called Time to Die that you can use to help decide when its the best time to pop StM. As has been mentioned, try to shoot for around 100 seconds of StM. If you can get close to that at the end of the fight, you will see your damage numbers shoot up the list to the top spots. SPriests are too reliant on StM to do ridiculous damage, in my opinion. But goddamn, is it fun. I love this high risk, high reward gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by FrothyMug View Post
    I looked over your Xavius parse and also looked you up on Armory. You have way more passive haste than I do and I can still pull over 300k DPS on Xavius. Just as a disclaimer, I do have the Chrono Shard and Strand of the Stars combo and Mangaza's Madness.

From what I could tell, you're not using Void Torrent and Power Infusion often enough and/or at the right times. When you go into Voidform, you should be torrenting within a few seconds. I always VTor right after a Voidbolt. I also PI after VTor. As my ability to stay in Voidform has gotten better, I've started popping PI a bit later. I used to pop it at about 10 stacks, but now I pop it at 20. The objective is to get 100% of your PI inside of your Voidform. Try to hit 40 stacks without StM using PI and VTor. VTor may not do a lot of damage directly, but it will make your dots do way more damage if you have the Mass Hysteria trait.

You also don't use your manafiend. On your Xavius fight, you used it once and he did 869k damage at the cost of ONE GCD. It's up every minute, which means you could have gotten 6 casts off. You missed out on over 4M damage. That alone doesn't seem like much, but it all adds up.

By the way, don't be that douche that drops out of the Dream state early because he blew StM at the start. Stay in it, do mechanics for awhile, then blow StM and melt face.

I also noticed you're not using combat potions. Use them when you're at high VF stacks in StM. Are you flasking, eating 375 haste food? What golden traits have you gotten on your weapon?
    For trinkets, should I still maintain the haste or drop for some other trinkets? I have an 850 Twisting Wind and an 855 Caged Horror.

This ends up to be my experience with Void Torrent. First VF, Cast after first VB. Second VF, available at ~20 stack and cast. Third VF, no Void Torrent. Is this the way that should happen?

For Void Torrent during STM, should I burn it on CD when it comes around again or wait until I desperate need my CD back up?

It was a pug group that I wanted to work on my spriest rotation. I didn't burn combat pot or flask for it as I would for my guild. For golden trait, I only have Mass Hysteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrayne View Post
    -Think of your dps as a snow ball you have to do well in void form early to dps before StM each void form you should be aiming for 27-40 stacks without StM this changes on movement and gear. This takes the most practice because you will have to know your rotation very well in voidform.

-When you are below 120% haste you have two fillers between each voidbolt and above 120% you have one filler between each voidbolt.
    Right now with PI I'm only hitting roughly 35(w/ VT and PI) and 25(w/ VT no PI).
    Last edited by Nariera; 2016-10-12 at 10:13 PM.

https://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8908 watch both videos, this will give you an idea about how to use s2m.