Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    This is basically what every person I know who has a weight gain or loss issue has said, one way or another. For people who struggle to gain weight, eating a normal amount of food can make them feel overly stuffed/sick..they're simply not hungry.

One professor I had in undergrad told me once that if she ate until she was satisfied (not full), she'd be 400 lbs. She was a very normal weight, but she said she was hungry literally all the time.
    this is how i feel when i eat too much.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure if I tried to gain tons of weight I would have no problems with it. I've gained 20 pounds in the last 4 or 5 years and I've realized this. I've lost 10 in the past 2 months, trying to lose more. I would like to look less pudgy around my neck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Documentary says that 80% of the population has a genetic predisposition towards weight gain, so I guess we're killing off 80% off the population then.
    Seems reasonable for a bottlenecking event.

The question is - will we ever return to times of extreme scarcity? Because then, those who gain weight will have an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    @Celista

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/obes...chicken-virus/

My mother-in-law is a nurse... a lactation consultant (she gets to play with boobies all day long... I tell her she has the coolest job on the planet).

She has recently taken up an interest in nutrition with zeal.

I am constantly getting "fed" propaganda regarding a vegan diet, preferably an organic vegan diet.
    HOW NOT TO DIE

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...documentaries/
    I've sat through
    Food, Inc
    Forks over knives
    supersize me
    Fat, sick and nearly dead

I would say that 2/3 of my meals are mostly vegan. I have a "healthy" understanding of what it means to be vegan and the benefits of a plant-based diet. I'm not ready to die for the cause and I haven't given up meat and cheese entirely either. But i definitely feel better, have lost weight, and have more energy.
    I have been on/off again vegetarian for most of my life, my weight has been the same since high school. I do vegetarianism for health and ethical reasons (not weight loss), but I don't always stick to it.

Been thinking of trying vegan. I'm lactose intolerant so I don't really have issues cutting out cheese, more interested in normalizing my energy levels throughout the day (which is why I tried keto, which it was great for, but I had a hard time not losing weight on the diet).

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been on/off again vegetarian for most of my life, my weight has been the same since high school. I do vegetarianism for health and ethical reasons (not weight loss), but I don't always stick to it.

Been thinking of trying vegan. I'm lactose intolerant so I don't really have issues cutting out cheese, more interested in normalizing my energy levels throughout the day (which is why I tried keto, which it was great for, but I had a hard time not losing weight on the diet).
    i could never live without cheese.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

This is basically what every person I know who has a weight gain or loss issue has said, one way or another. For people who struggle to gain weight, eating a normal amount of food can make them feel overly stuffed/sick..they're simply not hungry.

One professor I had in undergrad told me once that if she ate until she was satisfied (not full), she'd be 400 lbs. She was a very normal weight, but she said she was hungry literally all the time.
    I swear candies were made by satan. Tastes so good, but has such ridiculous calories D:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account

I think at least part of this is food composition (carbs don't fill you up as much as proteins/fats), and another part of it is nutrition sensing (if you're eating processed foods or are missing a key nutrient from your diet, your brain might crave general consumption of foods until you fill the quota for whatever you're missing).

The latter has less scientific basis, but I would not be in the least surprised if hardcoded mechanisms emerge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    Why are black people not white?
    Melanin levels?

Why is up not down?
    Sometimes it is.

Why is why why?
    It is from a Germanic root word, itself from a proto-Indo European root - why the proto-Indo European speakers came up with it I don't know, but you didn't ask that question. It could have been 'wy', but we like to put superfluous letters in words.

10+ Year Old Account

I don't eat much and generally it's fairly common for me to be *full*/not want to eat even if it isn't much. What doesn't help also is my tastes very restrictive so it's not helpful. I don't subscribe to the whole vegan thing, it would just be impossible for me to even eat.

I'm a picky eater so restricting to a vegan diet would just make life much more frustrating then it already is. I mean I don't mind veggies but it aint becoming my life either
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    Why are black people not white? Why is up not down? Why is why why?
    This is really a prime example of why it is so hard to change eating habits in America.

Because if you suggest anything that disrupts the status quo (ie the truth about meat, cheese, and fast food) you are seen as a kook.

its not surprising really, its a defense mechanism. It allows people to ignore truth so that they can maintain a given behavior. I mean its not like any of us really deny McDonalds is not healthy, but when you begin to realize that almost all the alternatives are just as bad (even some of the ones marketed as healthy alternatives) you have a sort of panic response... well fuck what am I supposed to eat then? It's much easier to claim the propaganda and those disseminating it are crazy and bury your head in the sand.

There are plenty of counter studies that refute these findings. Funded by the meat and dairy industry. You have to consider the source, the funding, and the motive/agenda.

What motive does a doctor/vegan have in promoting a plant-based diet?

What motive might the meat and dairy industry have in keeping people eating their products?

"Food" for thought.

10+ Year Old Account

Veganism isn't a particularly healthy option (widespread nutrient deficiencies), and the ethical arguments are rather weak in my opinion. A healthy diet includes meat, eggs, and dairy; it also includes vegetables and fruits in abundance.

My son is just like my xwife, they both eat shitty foods, lazy as hell and don't gain weight (at young ages anyway). The diet my ex ate she should have weight 400 lbs, we're talking about eating loads of cheese, dipping her pizza in ranch and drinking sugar in milk, yet she had a stomach that most women would kill for. After she had my son, she didn't even look like she was ever pregnant.

She is now "thick" as her age has caught up to her, I have no idea what her diet is like but she isn't a cow, well compared to American women anyway lol...

I believe you can fix any issue with diet an exercise, and a healthy lifestyle but genetics definitely play a role.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is really a prime example of why it is so hard to change eating habits in America.

Because if you suggest anything that disrupts the status quo (ie the truth about meat, cheese, and fast food) you are seen as a kook.

its not surprising really, its a defense mechanism. It allows people to ignore truth so that they can maintain a given behavior. I mean its not like any of us really deny McDonalds is not healthy, but when you begin to realize that almost all the alternatives are just as bad (even some of the ones marketed as healthy alternatives) you have a sort of panic response... well fuck what am I supposed to eat then? It's much easier to claim the propaganda and those disseminating it are crazy and bury your head in the sand.

There are plenty of counter studies that refute these findings. Funded by the meat and dairy industry. You have to consider the source, the funding, and the motive/agenda.
    Legitimate reasoning, for the most part.

Moral enforcement; industries also have a large stake, since grain products are easier to produce than meat products. This is why we've seen a massive shift to refined vegetable oils. And let's not forget the bread and cereal aisles. There are many, many more plant-based products in a grocery store than animal based products; as such, there is more money to be made in plant-based products. Indeed the grain lobby has had an enormous impact on policy. Just look at the evolution of our food pyramid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    My son is just like my xwife, they both eat shitty foods, lazy as hell and don't gain weight (at young ages anyway). The diet my ex ate she should have weight 400 lbs, we're talking about eating loads of cheese, dipping her pizza in ranch and drinking sugar in milk, yet she had a stomach that most women would kill for. After she had my son, she didn't even look like she was ever pregnant.

She is now "thick" as her age has caught up to her, I have no idea what her diet is like but she isn't a cow, well compared to American women anyway lol...

I believe you can fix any issue with diet an exercise, and a healthy lifestyle but genetics definitely play a role.
    A lot of the damage isn't visible just in weight. Also, people have different environmental advantages from birth depending on the nutritional status of the mother (and father, to a lesser degree). But yes, genetics definitely do play a role in how easily people's bodies can cope with an excess of calories and a lack of nutrition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just for fun, my wife says that this:

Is just 1 step closer to this:

What motive might the meat and dairy industry have in keeping people eating their products?

"Food" for thought.
    My idea of a healthy diet is, meat, cheese and veggies. Works for me, I feel way better eating these things in properly quantities than eating processed food grains.

I wonder if it is more than that, like the documentary showed the kids reaching for the plate of treats (even if they said they were full) were very young (3-4 years old?) and most of them were not heavy.

I bet most people listen to their bodies well, it's just that some people's bodies encourage storing fat for survival purposes. It's to our evolutionary advantage to reach for that 2nd and 3rd cookie, it's just now we live in a sedentary society without periods of famine, so it accumulates instead of being used up.

Point of linking the documentary was more for those, "oh I can eat whatever I want and not get fat" types. I used to think I was one of those types, but I realized that I am simply more active than many (possibly most) other people.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I have a grandfather who is 5'8, never weighed more than 140 lbs his entire adult life and has had a nearly lifelong struggle with heart disease and type II diabetes.
    It's really more or less that simple. Listen to your body it will do the rest. Like the kids setting the cookies aside. They had no interest where some kids just wanted to clear their plate. Yes there are other factors like leptin involved but if you feed your body the right fuel it will tell you when its full. Also someone else said that they were not full until they hit around 2300 calories. I can guarantee to you that if you filled your plate with more protein and vegetables you will be satisfied way before hitting 2300 calories. I'm not saying you can't have anything else but if 90% of your diet is good clean food your body will respond in a good way and stop counting. Eat good clean food and let your body count for you. Some days I eat more and other days less. I don't count anything or weigh anything. Don't get me wrong I work out and have a general idea of how much protein I want to get in for the day but I don't weigh or count anymore. I let my body tell me what it wants. It may sound dumb to some people but I encourage people to put it to the test for a few weeks and see what happens.

Just watch the calorie myth video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ewexMZ1-o

Just for fun, my wife says that this:
    [IMG]http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/2015/12/16/hoverboard-safety.jpg[/]

Is just 1 step closer to this:
    [IMG]https://jonnegroni.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/1322337746_b504365daffc.png?w=1200[/]
    Except you get plenty of exercise when you run away while it's exploding.

Deleted
    These posts don't add to the discussion and have been reported as such.
    But which discussion?

- - - Updated - - -

His repeated service.

Some gaint TV notoriety.

Book/Advertising sales.

Quote Originally Posted by avx81 View Post
    Just watch the calorie myth video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ewexMZ1-o
    currently listening to it and liking so far, thanks for the link.

7+ Year Old Account
    Arizona Bay (Chronosynclastic Infundibulum)

"Food" for thought.
    A doctor wouldn't have a motive, per se, but I also wouldn't go by their word considering they aren't educated on nutrition in med school. Same with your average vegan. Not that there's anything wrong with them or the diet.

The motive for the meat and dairy is the same as every other industry, $$$$.

But, meat is fine. 95% of the world eats meat. The issue is the way the animal/meat is treated. Go hunt a wild elk, and you'll have an incredibly healthy meat/meal for months on end. A cow that was raised in its feces and fed hormones? Not so much. The issue is the means of production.

Most fats (barring trans and processed shit) and dairy are okay too (see above).

Added sugars and processed foods are pretty much the underlining issues, particularly in America. I think 70% of the American diet is processed shit.

I was always skinny, and even while being super active with sports, i had a little baby fat on my gut i could never drop. I cut out added sugars and processed carbs for like 3 weeks, and dropped 15 pounds.

If anyone has prime check out the doc That Sugar Film.
    "....but the Universe is an awfully big place. There is room enough for an awful lot of people to be right about things and still not agree...."